Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Royal Highness

Prince Charles & Prince Harry in Gallipoli

Prince Harry Canakkale | Selda Göktaş

Old 04-24-2015, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Prince Charles joins his son Harry and world leaders to mark the 100th anniversary of the disastrous Gallipoli landings | Daily Mail Online

Old 04-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I do find it peculiar that Henry has flown from Aus to Turkey, when he could have stayed in Aus for the anniversary.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe because he cares very much? And isn't he supposed to go to London for a marathon he is patron? I thought it was a way to stop there and then heading on to the UK. Someone please correct me...
Old 04-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Majesty

Prince Charles looks the best in his navy uniform. It is surprising to see Prince Henry undertaking this engagement.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Videos:
The Prince of Wales and Prince Harry have met relatives of veterans of the Gallipoli Campaign who 100 years ago were on the eve of what turned out to be one of Britain's worst military disasters. The royals were on the flight deck of the Royal Navy's flagship HMS Bulwark in Turkey's Dardanelles straits, the same crucial waters that the Allies in the First World War hoped to control-

Home - ITNSource News

The Prince of Wales and Prince Harry have met relatives of veterans of the Gallipoli Campaign who 100 years ago were on the eve of what turned out to be one of Britain's worst military disasters-
http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTer...COMMEMORATIONS

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-24-2015, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

A very important event. Both Harry and Charles looked great.

Do we know why Harry changed from white to black uniform? (not that I minded)
Old 04-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Prince of Wales and Prince Harry also joined the Irish President and his wife at today's ceremony .

President Higgins attends Gallipoli WWI memorial - RTÉ News
Old 04-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I just double checked future engagements @royal.gov for what else happend today and is planned for tomorrow.
Coverage for all but Harry and the POW is slim, huh?
And the calendar is not listing the Queen to appear with William tomorrow at the Cenotaph. I thought they were going to both be there with Anne as back up, in case Wills needs to be somewhere else.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

British Royal Family Current Events 8: April 2015-

BBC1 have two programs tomorrow, one two hours, the other an hour. Both on different channels.

@RoyalCentral: The Queen, Prince Philip and Prince William will attend a Cenotaph service tomorrow morning to mark ANZAC Day and the Centenary of Gallipoli

@RoyalCentral: The Queen & Prince Philip will then attend a service at Westminster Abbey. Princess Anne meanwhile attends a dawn service at Wellington Arch

DOK who is actually in Aus (where Henry should be) has received no coverage in the UK media. Catherine and #GreatWait2 is getting more attention.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks to all for the links.

I was shocked this morning to learn The Royal Newfoundland Regiment also took part in The Battle of Gallipoli. This is the first time I've ever seen anything regarding their presence there and not only did they serve w/distinction, but also formed the Rear Guard for when they were trying to get off that now Hallowed Ground.

Newfoundland and Labrador is Canada's youngest Province, so I am guessing that might have a bit to do w/it, but even so!! The article I learned this from is over at the CBC. There will also be a private Ceremony at the Cemetery tomorrow to honour those from The Royal Newfoundland Regiment.

Still can not believe this is not more well known here in Canada. Just...:(

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-24-2015, 11:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Thanks to all for the links.

I was shocked this morning to learn The Royal Newfoundland Regiment also took part in The Battle of Gallipoli. This is the first time I've ever seen anything regarding their presence there and not only did they serve w/distinction, but also formed the Rear Guard for when they were trying to get off that now Hallowed Ground.

Newfoundland and Labrador is Canada's youngest Province, so I am guessing that might have a bit to do w/it, but even so!! The article I learned this from is over at the CBC. There will also be a private Ceremony at the Cemetery tomorrow to honour those from The Royal Newfoundland Regiment.

Still can not believe this is not more well known here in Canada. Just...:(

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Newfoundland might be the newest province, but it's the oldest (in terms of European contact) part of Canada. the Royal Newfoundland Regiment's involvement at Gallipoli is likely forgotten for a few reasons:
  • The major WWI battle that is mourned by Newfoundlanders is the Battle of the Somme, where the Regiment suffered a 90% casualty rate on the first day of the battle - the regiment was at Gallipoli for 3 months and only suffered 40 deaths; in one day of the Battle of the Somme something like 670 men died.
  • Newfoundland wasn't a part of Canada during the War, so it's history in that regards both is and isn't Canadian history. The history of the individual provinces post-Confederation is typically not taught on a national level unless it relates to the actual joining of Confederation; Newfoundland history between 1867 and 1949 isn't a huge subject in classrooms outside of Newfoundland. The huge difference between Newfoundland and the rest of the country is that the other provinces and territories all joined Confederation fairly quickly; by the time PEI joined Confederation in 1873 the only part of present day Canada that wasn't in Confederation was Newfoundland (the Prairies and the Territories gained their present-day political formations later, but they were still part of Canada by 1873). Newfoundland joined much later and as such as a whole history that is Newfoundland's history, not Canada's.
  • The moments of WWI that play a huge part in the development of Canada are the Somme, Ypres, Vimy Ridge, and Passchendaele. Even within Newfoundland's history, Gallipoli doesn't play the same role that the Somme does. Canada's role at these major battles is a huge part of the establishment of Canada as something separate from Britain; in a way WWI was Canada's war of independence. At the same time, the Newfies may have been at Gallipoli, but the battle that has the lasting cultural impact (in a way, their Gallipoli) is the Somme.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:19 PM
Royal Highness

I wanted to post this on Harry current events but it wouldn't allow it ??

A very emotional day for us. I'm looking forward to hearing Harry speak at ANZAC cove.
Lest we forget
Old 04-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Courtier

The Dawn Service at Gallipoli is being broadcast live across Australia.

Prince Charles has just spoken.

Prince Harry looked very moved during the playing of the Last Post.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

World War One Remembered: Gallipoli- BBC One, 10:10am UK Time-
Her Majesty the Queen leads tributes from the cenotaph memorial in London in a service to commemorate those who died in the Battle of Gallipoli.

Gallipoli was one of the most ambitious, prolonged and, ultimately, doomed campaigns in history. Many thousands of men from all over the world lost their lives in a small corner of western Turkey and today, a century on, the world comes together to remember them. Taking part are representatives from the United Kingdom, Europe and the Commonwealth, including descendants of those who died.

Dan Snow, himself a descendant, reports live from Whitehall and looks at other events marking this centenary - amongst them, a service on the Gallipoli peninsula attended by the Prince of Wales and his son Prince Harry-
BBC One - World War One Remembered: Gallipoli, Episode 1

Outside of UK Viewers:
tvpc.com - BBC 1

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-25-2015, 12:40 AM
Royal Highness

Must have got that wrong he didn't do a reading

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-25-2015, 01:32 AM
Courtier

I found Prince Charles' address very touching, on this day that has had many emotional moments for me.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Anzac day is always emotional. I went to the Dawn Service in Melbourne this morning. In spite of the rain there was a very large crowd.

I think Harry behaves so appropriately at these events, solemn and dignified when appropriate and jokey and friendly at the more informal moments. I bet Charles and Harry felt the atmosphere at Gallipoli, and enjoyed performing this engagement together.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

So the BBC reporter in Turkey just said John Keys, Prime Minister of Australia. The reporter at the Cenotaph was not much better!

Tags
british royal family, british royals, current events