British Royal Family Current Events 8: April 2015-January 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are set to host a dinner party for the US president Barack Obama and his wife, the palace has confirmed.

Mr Obama and the First Lady will dine at Kensington Palace after joining the Queen for lunch at Windsor Castle - the day after her 90th birthday celebrations.

Prince Harry will also be present at the dinner party on Friday.
William and Kate to host the Obamas for dinner - ITV News

Generous hospitality from both sides of the special relationship. W&H got White House meetings, strong support for Invitcus, George and Charlotte got baby presents from the Obamas.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I find the KP dinner interesting. 2nd in line to the throne hosting a Head of State. Now that is rare - it might even be a first.

I find the KP dinner interesting. 2nd in line to the throne hosting a Head of State. Now that is rare - it might even be a first.

Yes, it's very special that the Cambridge's and Harry will be hosting our President and First Lady at a dinner at Kensington. Also special for the second in line and third lady of the land to do this.

British Royal Family Current Events 8: April 2015-

The Obamas seem to genuinely appreciate the BRF. The President has told the story of Michelle and the girls going to BP and the Queen letting them ride around in a carriage. The also requested the meeting with the newlywed Cambridges during the state visit. Plus Michelle and now much older girls met Harry at KP last year.

I have to say, whatever one might think of the Obamas' politics, they have clearly developed a friendship with the royals, warm on both sides.

The 2nd and 3rd in line hosting a serving US President and his wife to dinner at their own residence, that's really rather astonishing. I don't think there's a chance in hell that would happen anywhere else.

Obamas may probably meet the 3rd and 4th in line too pending their bedtimes.

The 2nd and 3rd in line hosting a serving US President and his wife to dinner at their own residence, that's really rather astonishing. I don't think there's a chance in hell that would happen anywhere else.

well, the 2nd in line in most other royal families are under 12 LOL ;)
Its a very unique situation the BRF is in, and its wonderful.
Very nice of Harry, William and Kate to host the dinner.
With William's work with conservation, Kate's work in mental health and Harry's work with veterans Im sure they have lots to talk about :flowers:

The Obamas will probably be meeting with Charles and Camilla at Windsor Castle.

well, the 2nd in line in most other royal families are under 12 LOL ;)
Its a very unique situation the BRF is in, and its wonderful.
Very nice of Harry, William and Kate to host the dinner.
With William's work with conservation, Kate's work in mental health and Harry's work with veterans Im sure they have lots to talk about :flowers:

I think this is more a farewell meeting as Obama's term is ending.

Too much should not be read into these meetings.

The competition is held on her property and she does not just watch the race.

She actually set up some of the fences and she probably takes them down after the competition is over.

Do you have a source on this? I find it very hard to believe that the Princess Royal is setting up and taking down jumps for a major horse trials- which will have both a course designer and a grounds crew.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The Queen is head of state in the United Kingdom, which was the world's first industrialized and most powerful country in the world during the 19th and early 20th centuries. The UK remains a great power with significant economic, cultural, military, scientific and political influence internationally as wikipedia so nicely says it.

She is also head of state in 15 other countries, including major countries like Canada and Australia and head of the Commonwealth.

She is an international icon and has been known as the world's greatest diplomat.

The Queen is simply the Queen and all US Presidents, other Heads of state and Prime Ministers are big fan of hers and enjoy meeting her. They've also told the media about her kindness and her sense of humor.

Both the Reagans, the Bushes and the Clintons went on farewell visits to see her just before their term in office ended.

And they gladly meet her family too, who are members of the most famous royal family in the world.

It's all about PR. In 2011 the Obamas asked to meet the Cambridges and i presume they asked to dine with them this time : the British court is just too happy to oblige, the result will be a good and flattering media coverage, on both sides.
The Cambridges are fashionable, Charles and Camilla are not : it's just as simple as that.

President Obama isn't running for office anymore. The people who like and dislike him are pretty much set. Dining at KP isn't going sway people's opinions of him.

Do you have a source on this? I find it very hard to believe that the Princess Royal is setting up and taking down jumps for a major horse trials- which will have both a course designer and a grounds crew.

Here you go:

Anne fixing the fences during the Gatcombe Horse Trial.
Princess Anne - Princess Royal | Getty Images

Anne carrying potted plant to decorate the Horse Trial jumps at Gatcombe Horse.
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/fe567db1-1cc2-46c3-a836-519642da5fe9/BW9KJG.jpg
All credit to HRH Princess Anne (who was everywhere!)
Gatcombe Horse Trials Photos - 2011

Princess Anne designed Gatcombe Horse Trial Course with her former husband Mark Philips.

It's all about PR. In 2011 the Obamas asked to meet the Cambridges and i presume they asked to dine with them this time : the British court is just too happy to oblige, the result will be a good and flattering media coverage, on both sides.
The Cambridges are fashionable, Charles and Camilla are not : it's just as simple as that.

What happens if Prince Charles and Camilla are at Windsor with the Obamas, what will that say?:whistling:

That the Obamas will dine at KP and not at Clarence House ...

Interesting people can spin a story any way.

They met with the Queen who is important so they are more important.
They met by themselves so they are more important.

These types of stories always come up.

Last edited:
President Obama isn't running for office anymore. The people who like and dislike him are pretty much set. Dining at KP isn't going sway people's opinions of him.

Exactly, this dinner would not happen if all involved didn't want it to happen. Having called with the Queen, the Obamas could have considered their duty by the BRF done on this visit. They clearly want to dine with W,K and H.

One thing for sure, with the upcoming visit to the Star Wars studios and hosting a dinner for the Obamas, it kind of puts to rest any notion that after the India/Bhutan tour, the Cambridges just might go into hiding.

Just the idea of W&K&H hosting a dinner party welcoming the current POTUS and his FLOTUS (love these terms) and their children shows that the younger generation of royals have quite learned their lessons of how to be diplomatic and can easily slip into their roles of representing the British Royal Family.

What I am wondering now if this dinner they are hosting will be held in one of the state banquet rooms at KP with other people invited or just the two families perhaps at W&K's home? With a dinner of this caliber held in their home, most likely they'll have a chef step in to the "big" kitchen and not have fish and chips around the table in the "family" kitchen. Then again, maybe they will. :D

:previous: children? whose children - PResidents?

One thing for sure, with the upcoming visit to the Star Wars studios and hosting a dinner for the Obamas, it kind of puts to rest any notion that after the India/Bhutan tour, the Cambridges just might go into hiding.

Just the idea of W&K&H hosting a dinner party welcoming the current POTUS and his FLOTUS (love these terms) and their children shows that the younger generation of royals have quite learned their lessons of how to be diplomatic and can easily slip into their roles of representing the British Royal Family.

What I am wondering now if this dinner they are hosting will be held in one of the state banquet rooms at KP with other people invited or just the two families perhaps at W&K's home? With a dinner of this caliber held in their home, most likely they'll have a chef step in to the "big" kitchen and not have fish and chips around the table in the "family" kitchen. Then again, maybe they will. :D

Apartment 1A, the Cambridge residence, according to royal reporter, Richard Palmer.

That's why the BBC and ITV said The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are hosting the President and First Lady and Harry 'will be there as well'

Last edited:
:previous: children? whose children - PResidents?

I could have sworn I read that the Obama girls were to be there but what I saw was a retelling of a story of when the whole family met the Queen at an earlier time. Going back and rereading, there is actually no mention of the Obama girls being in attendance.

The Obamas seem to genuinely appreciate the BRF. The President has told the story of Michelle and the girls going to BP and the Queen letting them ride around in a carriage. The also requested the meeting with the newlywed Cambridges during the state visit. Plus Michelle and now much older girls met Harry at KP last year.

I had not known that HM let them ride in a carriage. What a wonderful treat for the FLOTUS and her daughters.

I think this is more a farewell meeting as Obama's term is ending.

Too much should not be read into these meetings.

Let's see how many people will read it:

The Obama's don't like Charles and Camilla and so refused to meet them.

Charles doesn't like Obama and so refused to host the evening meal.

Even foreign Heads of State are now seeing William as the next in line - even though he isn't - as they are sidelining Charles etc etc.

I am going to wait and see. Charles often meets with visiting Heads of State even when they aren't there on a State Visit. So I wonder if the day will be something like - lunch with The Queen and Philip at Windsor, Afternoon tea and meeting with Charles at CH and then dinner at KP. Of course Charles and Camilla may still be at Windsor after the birthday party the previous evening and so meet the Obama's on their arrival or still be their for dinner - who knows - I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom