British Royal Family Current Events 8: April 2015-January 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the difference between a state visit and an official visit? Other than tiaras? :lol:

Does anyone know the difference between a state visit and an official visit? Other than tiaras? :lol:
One might assume that ratings of a visit depend on money the UK will get from a particular government. All gifts to Prince Andrew, Prince Henry's skiing trip, and Mr Blair's consultancy fees were just enough to procure President Nazarbaev an official visit.

Last edited:

The difference is mostly in the ceremonial aspects - state visits are much grander and have formal welcoming ceremonies, carriage processions, state banquets, etc. Official visits are less 'formal'.

This CNN article from 2003 has the British Foreign Office saying "It's quite difficult to draw a difference, but the technical difference is a higher ceremonial content."

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 2h2 hours ago
Prince Harry and Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/662221251910508544

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 2h2 hours ago
Prince Harry at the Field of Remembrance, Westminster Abbey.
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/662226467888218112

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 48m48 minutes ago
Prince Harry and Prince Philip's poppies of remembrance, Westminster Abbey.
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/662239077941551104

Prince Harry joins his grandfather Philip and dignitaries to pay tribute to the fallen at Westminster Abbey's Field of Remembrance-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...en-Westminster-Abbey-s-Field-Remembrance.html

Last edited:
The Queen and the Duke of York welcome Kazakhstan President Nazarbayev* | Daily Mail Online
Rolling out the red carpet for Kazakh despot: Duke of York and Queen lay on full ceremonial welcome complete with guard of honour for controversial ruler Nazarbayev

The article says ''Rolling out the red carpet for Kazakh despot: Duke of York and Queen lay on full ceremonial welcome complete with guard of honour for controversial ruler Nazarbayev'' Rebecca English should know that you mention the Queen before Andrew, and Philip after the Queen and before Andrew.

And yes, he is a brutal dictator/despot, but so is Xi Jinping of China. And as Rebecca herself writes in this article ''Buckingham Palace pointed out that it was not unusual for a ruler to receive such a welcome and insisted the lunch was at the request of the Government.''

And when it comes to Andrew and his friendship with dictators, what can we say, he is stupid, naive and very arrogant.

Prince Harry joins Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey's Field of Remembrance to pay tribute | Daily Mail Online

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/05/11/2E22676100000578-0-image-a-78_1446722787767.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/05/11/2E2242AB00000578-3305151-image-a-92_1446722900785.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/05/11/2E223DD000000578-0-image-a-86_1446722818318.jpg

Video:
The Duke of Edinburgh and Prince Harry have paid tribute to Britain's fallen soldiers by opening Westminster Abbey's Field of Remembrance. Both Philip and Harry laid their crosses of remembrance in front of two wooden crosses from the graves of unknown British soldiers from the First and Second World Wars.

Home - ITNSource News

Last edited:
Aargh - I've lost my cheat sheet for IDing frock coats, etc. of the Queen's Guards. Which frock coat is Harry wearing today? Love the look!
Nevermind - found the link and it is the Blues and Royals. HOUSEHOLD CAVALRY UNIFORMS - COATS, CLOAKS AND TUNICS

Great link - thanks. I use the cap badge (easier on the eyes)

It's very odd seeing an army officer with a "full set" as its not permitted

British Royal Family Current Events 8: April 2015-

Harry only has the various uniforms of the Blues & Royals. He is not a colonel in chief of another regiment. The uniforms in the household division are going to be similar. Thus William's Irish Guard uniform is very similar to the one Harry wore today.

The red summer tunics of the guards division are probably the most easy to identify who is who. The button grouping are different for each and the plume in the bearskin is also different. If you are close enough, then the collar symbols are different too.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
I just find the style of that frock coat very flattering on a man. And that perfectly groomed beard was yummy.
I thought the DOE also looked a treat today! :wub:

The Service to mark the opening of the Filed of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey today

PPE

PPE Agency

Ah yes, the beard!!! No one can complain that he looked unkempt, that beard was really trimmed to a "T". I hope he keeps it, I think it is very very flattering.

What a great event.
That uniform looks wonderful on Harry. And Philip looks great as well

Thanks for posting.

Any pictures?

Each year Charles and Camilla host a house party at Sandringham around the last week of November.

King Constantine of Greece use to attend. The last few years it has been Princess Alexandra.

I wonder if it is an early Christmas gathering or some other holiday they celebrate?

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m2 minutes ago
The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William and Kate are hosting the diplomatic reception for more than 1,000 guests at Buckingham Palace.

Rookie ‏@royalfocus1 6m6 minutes ago
Duchess of Cambridge arrives at Buckingham Palace in #Tiara for diplomatic reception #Royals

Duchess Kate Blog ‏@HRHDuchesskate 2m2 minutes ago
WOW Kate's wearing Diana's Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara tonight!

I'm glad Catherine has now dusted off the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara for this very Stately event!

Sadly, we don't normally get any pictures from this grand event, so we may not see if Catherine has received her RFO.

I'm glad Catherine has now dusted off the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara for this very Stately event!

She can't wear the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara as that one belongs now to the Princely Family of Waldburg-Zeil. But she is wearing Queen Mary's Lovers Knot tiara
But great to see her wearing it. Wish we would get better pics of her wearing it.

Sadly, we don't normally get any pictures from this grand event, so we may not see if Catherine has received her RFO.

true and the way she sits makes it hard to see far enough down. We'd only know if she wore it very high on her dress.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m2 minutes ago
The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William and Kate are hosting the diplomatic reception for more than 1,000 guests at Buckingham Palace.

Charles arriving without Camilla so...Camilla must already be in BP....maybe helping the Queen with last minute details...or being trained by the Queen on the ins and outs of hosting a diplomatic reception....or maybe.....

The Annual Diplomatic Reception At Buckingham Palace | Getty Images

....or maybe Camilla did not attend.

It's really disappointing that there are not decent photo options at these receptions. What's the use of all dressing up for not being seen? It's disappointing, and I'd love to see the Queen as well.

It's really disappointing that there are not decent photo options at these receptions. What's the use of all dressing up for not being seen? It's disappointing, and I'd love to see the Queen as well.

It's such a shame that the palace treats this event as if it should only be done under a dark cloud. We see so many pictures of palace receptions, but for this reception, we get nothing but arrival pics.

It's such a shame that the palace treats this event as if it should only be done under a dark cloud. We see so many pictures of palace receptions, but for this reception, we get nothing but arrival pics.
It is a bit for security though. Some of the guests are in a bit of heavy positions and it's alot of political stuff behind it so (as sad as it is for our tiara watching) I understand why it is that way!

There might be a few photos released afterwards, in a day or two perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom