The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Or maybe Sophie was not interest in tennis.

She attends horse events quite often.

If could be more a case of wanting to bond with her mother-in-law and not enjoying tennis rather than trying not to be compared to someone else.
Yeah, I think it may have something to do with that, but nothing to do with Diana. Diana loved tennis. She played and attended Wimbledon regularly, but never got involved with any official role. That was the Duchess of Kent's duties back in those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
They asked Sophie a few years ago but she politely declined, trying to avoid the continued similarities between herself and Diana.
I think you may mean the Duchess of Kent and not Diana. Diana never played an official role at Wimbledon, but the Duchess of Kent did.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Or maybe Sophie was not interest in tennis.

She attends horse events quite often.

If could be more a case of wanting to bond with her mother-in-law and not enjoying tennis rather than trying not to be compared to someone else.
Sophie definitely has an interest in tennis, and has had for a long time, to my understanding (in fact, she met Edward because she was asked to stand in for someone at a Real Tennis event).

That said, I'm not sure the story about Wimbledon is true - sounds a bit tabloid-y to me (or at least, her excuse for not being involved).

Old 07-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think you may mean the Duchess of Kent and not Diana. Diana never played an official role at Wimbledon, but the Duchess of Kent did.
No, I definitely did not mean the Duchess of Kent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Sophie definitely has an interest in tennis, and has had for a long time, to my understanding (in fact, she met Edward because she was asked to stand in for someone at a Real Tennis event).

That said, I'm not sure the story about Wimbledon is true - sounds a bit tabloid-y to me (or at least, her excuse for not being involved).
It is of course tabloid-y but I do imagine she was asked.

Wimbledon want the Countess of Wessex
Old 07-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Considering she is going to Wimbledon on the Wednesday it's odd for her not to go. Although part of me is rather happy she isn't going as the press will actually focus on the event and it's importance, rather than Kate's sartorial choices. (I am sure, however, that her absence will generate an article or two.)
The nreason Catherine isnt attending is that she is not an Honorary Air Commodore. Explained in this article by Richard Palmer (about half way down past the bit about tennis courts). He actually found out why.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are set to go to Wimbledon quarter-finals | Royal | News | Daily Express

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Perhaps, but she don't attend that often. I think The Duchess of Cambridge would do nicely in that role.
I thought you might.

There are other members of the royal family - despite what the Daily Mail might think, not everything has to be about William and Kate.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent

REgarding future President of the All England Club. This is a role where someone has to give up a fortnight to attend. No "senior" royal is in a position to do that. HMQ might get away with a week at Ascot but in these more critical times, I dont think 2 wks at Wimbledon is realistic.

Junior branch has got away with it. So perhaps in the longer term, Edward or Sophie would be a good choice.

I think that a senior royal will always be Royal Patron as the Queen is currently.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Another source said Prince Philip had been the driving force behind the royal line-up at the 75th anniversary event. “He wanted a full turnout of honorary air commodores,” the source said.
Philip getting his way

It explains why Catherine isn't going but I wonder why Anne is going as she is an Honorary Air Commodore.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Philip getting his way

It explains why Catherine isn't going but I wonder why Anne is going as she is an Honorary Air Commodore.
Anne is Hon. Air Commodore of Royal Air Force Brize Norton and University of London Air Squadron

Old 07-03-2015, 12:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The nreason Catherine isnt attending is that she is not an Honorary Air Commodore. Explained in this article by Richard Palmer (about half way down past the bit about tennis courts). He actually found out why.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are set to go to Wimbledon quarter-finals | Royal | News | Daily Express
So Catherine is getting bashed for not attending an event that Philip never invited her to. Why am I not surprised?

It reminds me of when William hosted the Centrepoint Gala Dinner at Kensington Palace in 2013. Catherine was never scheduled to attend but the media and "fans" called her every name in the book because they didn't get cute pictures of her with Taylor Swift. Doesn't she know that her life should be controlled by obnoxious strangers? Who cares about facts when cute pictures are at stake?
Old 07-03-2015, 02:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
So Catherine is getting bashed for not attending an event that Philip never invited her to. Why am I not surprised?

It reminds me of when William hosted the Centrepoint Gala Dinner at Kensington Palace in 2013. Catherine was never scheduled to attend but the media and "fans" called her every name in the book because they didn't get cute pictures of her with Taylor Swift. Doesn't she know that her life should be controlled by obnoxious strangers? Who cares about facts when cute pictures are at stake?
No one knew the real cause of Catherine not attending until now. That wasn't clear early on.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-03-2015, 02:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
No one knew the real cause of Catherine not attending until now. That wasn't clear early on.
It was already known that she was on maternity leave. She obviously hasn't resumed regular engagements (she's only been at Trooping the Colour). I really don't know why that isn't explanation enough.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
It was already known that she was on maternity leave. She obviously hasn't resumed regular engagements (she's only been at Trooping the Colour). I really don't know why that isn't explanation enough.

I think people were thinking that since this is kind of a special occurrence and not your run of the mill engagement Kate might make an appearance with what looks like a good number of her in-laws - particularly since they made an announcement about how she'll be at Wimbledon.

It would be unfair of us if William was going to an event for one of his charities and people were saying how they hope Kate goes too or how they're disappointed she isn't going. But this isn't just one of his charities - this is kind of a big thing that stands out a bit. It seems to be a bit more in line (to me) with the Trooping or Remembrance Day than your typical engagement so it's reasonable to wonder if Kate might attend it despite her maternity leave - she did, after all, attend the Trooping, and doing the occasional big family engagement like this one isn't going to prevent her from being a mother.

Women on mat leave may get a chunk of time off (how much varying depending on who and where they are), but that doesn't mean they just spend the whole period bonding with the baby. Kate doing a sporadic engagement here or there because it's a big deal wouldn't take away from her maternity leave, and people wondering if she might and being disappointed if she doesn't isn't actually a criticism of her.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I think people were thinking that since this is kind of a special occurrence and not your run of the mill engagement Kate might make an appearance with what looks like a good number of her in-laws - particularly since they made an announcement about how she'll be at Wimbledon.

It would be unfair of us if William was going to an event for one of his charities and people were saying how they hope Kate goes too or how they're disappointed she isn't going. But this isn't just one of his charities - this is kind of a big thing that stands out a bit. It seems to be a bit more in line (to me) with the Trooping or Remembrance Day than your typical engagement so it's reasonable to wonder if Kate might attend it despite her maternity leave - she did, after all, attend the Trooping, and doing the occasional big family engagement like this one isn't going to prevent her from being a mother.

Women on mat leave may get a chunk of time off (how much varying depending on who and where they are), but that doesn't mean they just spend the whole period bonding with the baby. Kate doing a sporadic engagement here or there because it's a big deal wouldn't take away from her maternity leave, and people wondering if she might and being disappointed if she doesn't isn't actually a criticism of her.
Oh, yes, I do realize this is a special occasion. There's just been a discussion of Kate's maternity leave going on in more than one thread (and I was responding to someone who I knew was part of that discussion), and this isn't the first time in recent weeks that some have started questioning why Kate hasn't been at a variety of events.

Yes, I absolutely realize that Kate doing occasional engagements right now is fine/normal. I just see such occasions as the exception rather than the rule - I operate under the assumption that someone on maternity leave is most likely not going to be at an engagemen, but it's nice to see them if they are there. To me, there's no need to explain/justify her absence beyond that, but I've found that some feel differently.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:47 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen and family to mark Battle of Britain’s 75th anniversary
Old 07-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The Queen commemorates 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain at Buckingham Palace | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Royal Highness

I watched it live on Sky News.

The Queen, accompanied by other members of the royal family watched a flypast of RAF Spitfires and Hurricanes from the balcony of Buckingham Palace to commemorate the 75th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Britain - July 10, 2015.

Battle of Britain fly-past: best pictures of impressive Changing the Guard - Telegraph

Queen Elizabeth II Photos - 75th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Britain - Zimbio

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Q..._3_r5ahuil.jpg

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Q...SHW-7CbVLl.jpg
Old 07-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Royal Highness

For once i REALLY don't understand why Kate is not here. I know about the "maternity leave" but i honestly think it's a pretty bad move to be absent for two major state occasions (today and the 7/7 ceremonies) and to be in the centre of the royal box in Wimbledon in the very same week.
I was ok with the logical and official explanation (Honorary Air Commodores only) but since Sophie showed up, it doesn't make any sense !
Old 07-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
For once i REALLY don't understand why Kate is not here. I know about the "maternity leave" but i honestly think it's a pretty bad move to be absent for two major state occasions (today and the 7/7 ceremonies) and to be in the centre of the royal box in Wimbledon in the same week.
I was ok with the logical and official explanation (Honorary Air Commodores only) but since Sophie showed up, it doesn't make any sense !
She wasnt there because Price Philip invited Hon Air Commodores only. Sophie is an Hon Air Commodore (RAF Wittering) as is Princess Alexandra.

I posted about this before but here is the link to the article confirming the reason. About half way down

Old 07-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
She wasnt there because Price Philip invited Hon Air Commodores only. Sophie is an Hon Air Commodore (RAF Wittering) as is Princess Alexandra.

I posted about this before but here is the link to the article confirming the reason. About half way down

Exactly! But it would have looked better if the women were in uniform as well since now they look like spouses and not like they're there in their own capacaty.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Aaaah now it makes sense, thank you! I genuinely didn't know about Sophie and her honorary rank in the RAF.
My bad !
Kate if you're reading this, i'm sorry

Tags
british royal family, british royals, current events