The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Administrator

British Royal Family Current Events 7: January 2014 to

Welcome to British Royal Family current events part 7.

The previous British Royal Family Current Events 6, can be found here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...3-a-34893.html

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Angela Merkel to make State Visit to UK - Feb 2014.

Not confirmed at the minute, apparently reported on SkyNews.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 6m
Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany, is to make a State Visit to the UK in February, Sky News reports.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Royal Central has retracted for the time being as no other news outlet has mentioned it other than Sky.

My question, if it is true, is how can it be a State Visit when she isn't the Head of State?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

That might be a problem with the annoucement.

Found the original tweet;

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 40m
Sky sources: German Chancellor Angela Merkel will make a state visit to the UK in February
Old 01-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Serene Highness

Plus there is usually only 2 incoming state visits a year. One in spring -Ireland - and the other in the fall.

It may be about the wildlife poaching conference with world leaders in London in February. Since presidents are usually figureheads in European countries, the would want to deal more with PMs.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well as cepe said, a state visit would be for an incoming head of state and Angela Merkel is not. She could be combining the Poaching conference with a UK visit.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Serene Highness

Angela Merkel to make State Visit to UK - Feb 2014.

It would more like a summit visit or like when the G8 or G20 get together. If there are going to be a lot of world leaders, the queen could host a reception like she did before the Olympics.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

What I meant was Angela could attend the poaching conference, then stick around to visit the UK afterwards. I didn't mean she would be accompanied by other heads of state.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Lumutqueen is right. This is from the Sunday Times on 12th January

START
PRINCE WILLIAM will step onto the world stage next month in front of up to 60 heads of state at a global summit highlighting the plight of endangered species.

The Duke of Cambridge, who is expected to make a keynote speech, has long been a backer of wildlife charities. He will support David Cameron and William Hague, who have organised the London summit in response to the growing threat to three iconic animals: the tiger, elephant and rhino.

END

Old 01-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

william and catherine will attend?
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Majesty

William will attend the summit as he is speaking - Kate - who knows.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I have put the information about William speaking at the Conference in his current events thread.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think i've missed something;

Jamie McFadden ‏@JamieMcFadden_ 15m
Charles will accompany Queen to Normandy in June for D-Day anniversary, which will also be her last foreign trip.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 AM
Courtier

The Sunday Times is reporting that Charles will accompany HM to Normandy and will in fact stand in for HM at some of the days events. The Sunday Times is talking about the Queen and Charles now effectively 'job sharing' the role of sovereign.
To me it all makes sense, it hasn't been said but I wonder if the Duke of Edinburgh will stay at home and so Charles may be taking his place at the Queen's side. He will also be able to stand in for the Queen, i remember the 60th anniversary at Normandy and there was a lot of travelling around and standing up for most of the day. I'd imagine a similar set of events would be very tiring for the Queen now so Charles can maybe do some of the travelling of the day.

As for it being her last overseas trip I think its been said for sometime now that her overseas travel would be cut back, it started with long haul flights such as not travelling to CHOGM when Charles stood in for her. Its been said that each overseas event is now being looked as on a case by case basis and Normandy and D-Day are important events that she would not want to miss if she could help it - look what happened at the 65th anniversary when she was not invited. She hasn't traveled overseas for a state visit since Ireland and I think at her age its fair enough for her to stay at home and let people come to her.

It should also be pointed out that it might not be planned to be her last overseas visit, the BBC article about these events cast some doubt on it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25798969
But I think at the Queen's age and the lack of overseas visits of late its not unlikley that this could be her last overseas visit.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Serene Highness

French echo to the Visit of the Queen and the POW in june :

Elizabeth II et le Prince Charles seront en Normandie pour le D-Day
Old 01-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Aristocracy

I might have read it wrong but I'm sure I read something this morning that implied it would be her last trip to France, not necessarily last foreign trip.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaChips View Post
I might have read it wrong but I'm sure I read something this morning that implied it would be her last trip to France, not necessarily last foreign trip.
I do think it's very likely that this trip will be the last official one to France. Normally the Hollande administration should invite the Queen to a state Visit, as France was the "guest" in 2008 with Sarkozy. Well as you may know the situation of the Presidency in France is , well, quite complicated and i don't think a full state visit with all the republican protocol will be seen as, let's say, appropriate for now.
To invite the Queen, and other head of states, for the Dday is maybe seen as the best solution to be polite with our friends from UK without having some headaches protocol wise.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Majesty

World leaders come to London to tackle illegal wildlife trade: 12-13 February
"Poaching for the trade has reached unprecedented levels and it’s estimated the trade is worth an incredible 6 billion per year, making it the fifth largest international crime. It’s time for governments to take serious action to stop the trafficking.

Prime Minister David Cameron, Foreign Secretary William Hague and Environment Secretary Owen Paterson will be leading the UK government efforts. WWF-UK’s President HRH The Prince of Wales, along with his son, HRH The Duke Of Cambridge, will both be in attendance."

World leaders come to London to tackle illegal wildlife trade - WWF UK

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Courtier

Peter Hunt@BBCPeterHunt
On 17th Feb, the Queen and Kate will host a reception at Buckingham Palace for the dramatic arts. Guests will include actors and directors.

British Royals@britishroyals
Feb 17: Queen & Kate will host a reception for the @royalacademy at Buckingham Palace to mark 6 decades of HM as patron...

British Royals@britishroyals
Previously mentioned attendees/performers to meet the Queen & Kate on Feb 17 are Helen Mirren, Benedict Cumberbatch, Alan Rickman, etc...
Old 02-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Majesty

I'm looking forward to Her Majesty and Her Royal Highness hosting this event.

Dr. Maya Angelou