British Royal Family Current Events 5: July 2011-March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wbenson

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
United States
HouseofWindsor-300.png

Welcome to British Royal Family current events part 5.

Part 4, covering March 2007 to July 2011, is located here.

Last edited:

Queen Elizabeth, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Earl of Wessex attended a garden party
in the grounds of the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh, July 5, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga gallery **

Bad weather at today's garden party at Buckingham Palace hosted by the Queen. But she, the Duke of
Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall and lots of guests braved the rain today, July 19.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages/daylife gallery **

I'd love to attend a Garden Party, preferably at Buckingham Palace. Duchess of Cornwall looks nice, quite plain, as usual but I think it works for her.

Kate is said to be joining the Queen tomorrow afternoon (22 July) in viewing her wedding dress ahead of the opening of Buckingham Palace's summer exhibit. The exhibit is open to the public starting Saturday, 23 July, and it will include Kate's dress, shoes, tiara and earrings. The royal wedding fruit cake will also be on display.

Hopefully we get pictures.

RoyalReporter Richard Palmer

There will be press and TV cameras there when the Queen and Kate tour the exhibition on Friday afternoon.

Nice we'll get to see the Queen and Kate together tomorrow!

OMG! Kate and I share the same shoe size!!! I wonder if I could borrow the wedding shoes (and the cute boatshoes she wore at Blatchford Lake!) LOL!!

Highly unlikely number, IMO.

Perhaps the 400,000 figure has been aggregated to include replacement cost for the tiara and the cost of other jewelry worn on that day.

Pictures of the Duchess and Her Majesty viewing the exhibition.
Kate's wedding dress goes on display at Buckingham Palace

I read somewhere that the exhibit had been described as "ghostly" and,unfortunately, that seems to be an accurate description. Does anyone else think it's a bit too somber? I can see how they would want to capture how exquisite the gown is, but all of the joy and excitement of a wedding as been taken out.

Well, that won't stop me from seeing it. I can't wait!! :)

fascinator said:
I read somewhere that the exhibit had been described as "ghostly" and,unfortunately, that seems to be an accurate description. Does anyone else think it's a bit too somber? I can see how they would want to capture how exquisite the gown is, but all of the joy and excitement of a wedding as been taken out.

Well, that won't stop me from seeing it. I can't wait!! :)

The exhibit did look ghostly from the pictures I saw. The mood looks dispirited and somber...much like a sad occasion. It doesn't come off to me as a joyful, happy time. Her dress standing in the middle of room like that reminds me of a horror movie I saw. Perhaps they need to add more lighting. Something to up the mood.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why is Williams uniform not at the exhibit??

Perhaps the 400,000 figure has been aggregated to include replacement cost for the tiara and the cost of other jewelry worn on that day.

Let's see ...

500,000 viewers at 17.50GBP each. That's GBP8.75 million/ $13.125 million. I would hope that there is a "lending fee" for the gown that compensates the Middletons based on the incremental increase in BP visitor volume. The purchase of the gown would be an investment with an ROI not seen since Whitewater! :D

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why is Williams uniform not at the exhibit??

It's not a stupid question at all. There may be some reasoning behind this, but it would be nice to see it there as well.

And instead of an "empty gown", what about Madame Tussauds wax figures? Fun!

P.S. I'm not being sarcastic, I think it would be much more engaging, though (for some) absurdly tacky.

fascinator said:
Let's see ...

500,000 viewers at 17.50GBP each. That's GBP8.75 million/ $13.125 million. I would hope that there is a "lending fee" for the gown that compensates the Middletons based on the incremental increase in BP visitor volume. The purchase of the gown would be an investment with an ROI not seen since Whitewater! :D

I am sure the Middletons were thinking not at all about the ROI but instead about their lovely daughters happiness and joy on her wedding dress and day when buying her wedding dress......

I am sure the Middletons were thinking not at all about the ROI but instead about their lovely daughters happiness and joy on her wedding dress and day when buying her wedding dress......

Is that even necessary? Honestly!

It was just a cheeky observation about Kate and William Inc.'s profitability, not about the Middletons' intentions.

I doubt there is such a thing as a lending fee that is more than nominal.

fascinator said:
Is that even necessary? Honestly!

It was just a cheeky observation about Kate and William Inc.'s profitability, not about the Middletons' intentions.

I doubt there is such a thing as a lending fee that is more than nominal.

I'm allowed to post a comment in respect to a comment you made- there was no ill intention there......

Duchess of Cambridge's dress display is horrid, cries Queen - Telegraph
For some reason, I have a hard time believing The Queen would really say such things, especially in front of her granddaughter-in-law, the curator, and the press.

I actually really like the display, but I do wonder if there will be more light during the actual exhibit. The ensemble wouldn't look out of place at the Royal wedding dress display in April that had the gowns of Queen Victoria, Queen Alexandra, Princess Margaret, and Princess Alexandra of Kent - which also featured headless mannequins in darkly lit rooms.

Super Baroness said:
Duchess of Cambridge's dress display is horrid, cries Queen - Telegraph
For some reason, I have a hard time believing The Queen would really say such things, especially in front of her granddaughter-in-law, the curator, and the press.

I actually really like the display, but I do wonder if there will be more light during the actual exhibit. The ensemble wouldn't look out of place at the Royal wedding dress display in April that had the gowns of Queen Victoria, Queen Alexandra, Princess Margaret, and Princess Alexandra of Kent - which also featured headless mannequins in darkly lit rooms.

http://m.usmag.com/v/CelebNews/QueenElizabethJokesW/?KSID=7936ecf09855d775d9996d931a196011
This article plays it off like she was joking around so possibly she was kidding around with Catherine-? In the video they seem smiley and laughing....

Let's see ...

You made me laugh with those Kate and William Inc. and ROI remarks, Fascinator!

I also thought it was strange that they didn't display William's uniform together with the wedding gown, after all, I don't think he'll need to wear it this summer. Of course, given all the fuss made around Pippa's dress, I wasn't expecting it to be part of the exhibit, but nothing would have prevented them from also showing the bridesmades' and pages' outfits, they were all part of the show.

Last edited:
You made me laugh with this Kate and William Inc. and ROI remarks, Fascinator!

I also thought it was strange that they didn't display William's uniform together with the wedding gown, after all, I don't think he'll need to wear it this summer. Of course, given all the fuss made around Pippa's dress, I wasn't expecting it to be part of the exhibit, but nothing would have prevented them from also showing the bridesmades' and pages' outfits, they were all part of the show.

I see what you mean, but the bride was the star of the show and so it's her dress only on display.

Have there ever been exhibitions where the entire British Royal wedding party was on display?

k I hoped they'd get on but they seem to get on really really well which is always a very good sign. I loved seeing pictures and videos of our 2 Queens together

I wonder too. What Kate calls the Queen? How she address the queen when they are in public and when they are in private.

I know I'm curious too. Sarah used to call her Mummy obv because she was her mother in law but does Kate call her Granny like Wills does?

I'm curious did they do anything like this for the Prince and Princess of Wales? Seems like it's somewhat of a tradition now but all I remember is the dress started being on display after Diana's death. So that's why I'm curious if it had gone on display at all before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom