British Royal Family Current Events 5: July 2011-March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely to see the dedication ceremony. Thanks for the links.

RoyalistRiley said:
An impressive royal turnout to commemorate an extraordinary feat.
Based on this photo the 12 members of the Royal Family who attended were:

The Queen
The Duke of Edinburgh
The Prince of Wales
The Duchess of Cornwall
The Duke of York
The Earl of Wessex
The Countess of Wessex
The Duke of Gloucester
The Duchess of Gloucester
The Duke of Kent
Prince Michael of Kent
Princess Michael of Kent

I dunno if it's better for me to put this in the BRF current events thread
Joe Little ‏@MajestyMagazine Prince William, known as the Earl of Strathearn in Scotland, will be installed as a Knight of the Thistle in Edinburgh this morning.
Joe Little ‏@MajestyMagazine Kate, aka the Countess of Strathearn, will be at the service in St Giles' Kirk with the Queen, Prince Philip and the Princess Royal.
Joe Little ‏@MajestyMagazine
It's been foggy here in Edinburgh since yesterday evening but that won't impede the royal journey from the nearby Palace of Holyroodhouse.
Chris Jackson ‏@ChrisJack_Getty Seriously misty in Edinburgh today where Prince William will be installed as a Knight of the Thistle at St Giles Church
Alright y'all got approx times

Kate Debate ‏@RoyalKateDebate @Kristinazzz9191 hey! well the ceremony is at 11, and the procession before that so I'd keep a look out from 10 (UK time) at the latest...
I'm gonna have to sadly skip this one again because the ceremony will be round 3am PST/6am EST here so too late for me but I might be here for the procession.

If needed can someone transfer my posts to the BRF current events thread?

Last edited:
No Charles Camilla or Andrew today
phil dampier ‏@phildampier Charles will be at Highgrove saving the rain forest. And Prince Andrew is today opening The Shard - now Europe's tallest occupied building
Aww this is cute
Chris Jackson ‏@ChrisJack_Getty Prince William spent time in St Giles Cathedral this morn rehearsing for the Thistle ceremony, he smiled as public cheered him as he left

kk heading to bed should be starting soon-ish. Hopefully someone can cover for me and update with w/e news we get from the procession and ceremony

Last edited:
There doesn't appear to be a thread for the Order of Thistle ceremonies, so I'm posting this here.

Today, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will attend the Thistle Service in St. Giles' Cathedral. They'll also be at the Thistle Luncheon at the Signet Library.

Prince Charles, the Earl and Countess of Wessex and the Duke of York will not be present (other engagements). Princess Anne will be present, along with (possibly) the Duchess of Gloucester and Prince and Princess Michael of Kent. Princess Anne's attendance is confirmed, but not that of the others.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge aren't listed as attending, but since Prince William is to be officially invested as a Knight of the Order today, they (or at the very least, William) are guaranteed to be there. No mention of the Duchess of Cornwall.

Kate is wearing a kind of buttery yellow coat dress along with the hat she first wore to the Epsom Derby last year. Her hair is half up with some really nice extra curls going on.

Weather in Edinburgh absolutely horrible with so much mist and fog you'd think it was mid-February rather than July.

No pictures of Kate or other royals yet, but here is one of William after his installation ceremony.
- Prince William

Sky News and BBC News showed them all standing outside with William having changed into the full regalia of the Order. We're not going to see anything from inside the Cathedral so we're going to have to wait for them to come out again for anymore pictures.

Lady Sarah Chatto seems to wear the same outfit in a slightly different shade over and over again. The length of her skirt makes her appear quite short and stumpy.

:previous:
I thought Lady Sarah looked wonderful. The outfit is very elegant, and the accessories, while muted, are perfectly chosen.
Then again, I might be biased because she's wearing a lovely brooch (reminds me of the Queen's Jardine Star Brooch) - and I can't resist a good piece of jewellery.

Always thought Sarah is one of the most elegant royal ladies; her wedding dress in particular was a triumph.

:previous:
I thought Lady Sarah looked wonderful. The outfit is very elegant, and the accessories, while muted, are perfectly chosen.
Then again, I might be biased because she's wearing a lovely brooch (reminds me of the Queen's Jardine Star Brooch) - and I can't resist a good piece of jewellery.

Always thought Sarah is one of the most elegant royal ladies; her wedding dress in particular was a triumph.

I also thought Sarah looked lovely.

I think Sarah looks lovely as well. I have always loved this style on her. She knows what works and sticks with it. Sarah's style is classic and elegant. IMO she doesn't look short or dowdy.

When I first saw the photos of Sarah and Kate, I was sure the brooch Sarah was wearing was the JS. Maybe not, tho.

Lady Sarah always looks wonderful to me. She stands out in a crowd without being trendy...just like HM.

When I first saw the photos of Sarah and Kate, I was sure the brooch Sarah was wearing was the JS. Maybe not, tho.

Lady Sarah always looks wonderful to me. She stands out in a crowd without being trendy...just like HM.

The brooch is similar to the Jardine Star but definitely not the same. There are distinctive differences even in the blurry pictures we have.
As a jewelaholic, I actually took the time to zoom in and study the brooch carefully. :blush:

Agree about Lady Sarah and her style; it's subtle but always elegant.

I have two sartorial questions.
First, in the regalia of the Order of the Thistle, what is the circlet of velvet worn on the right shoulder? Shown here, the Earl's is navy blue but the other royals were black, I think? What is the reason for the gathered circle of satin in the center?
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/05/article-2169133-13EFB78F000005DC-170_634x721.jpg
Second, re: the Strathearn Modern Tartan Catherine carried, does anyone know what the dark color in the tartan is? In press photos it appears black, but in various places online it appears dark blue or very dark green.
So far, the countess has matched it to red and yellow frocks - nicely done!

Last edited:
I have two sartorial questions.
First, in the regalia of the Order of the Thistle, what is the circlet of velvet worn on the right shoulder? Shown here, the Earl's is navy blue but the other royals were black, I think? What is the reason for the gathered circle of satin in the center?
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/05/article-2169133-13EFB78F000005DC-170_634x721.jpg
Second, re: the Strathearn Modern Tartan Catherine carried, does anyone know what the dark color in the tartan is? In press photos it appears black, but in various places online it appears dark blue or very dark green.
So far, the countess has matched it to red and yellow frocks - nicely done!

1. The pale blue velvet hood attached to the right shoulder and fastened with green and gold embroidered cordons is part of the Thistle gown, just as a similar red velvet hood is part of the Garter robes. I'm not sure what it was there for originally, but I can explain the difference in colours. The newly appointed knights (such as William) wear pale blue velvet hoods, while "older" knights wear dark green (not black) ones. Next year, William will wear a dark green one as well.

2. The dark colour is green. The Strathearn Tartan features three colours - yellow (the main background), red and green.
The tartan was first made for Queen Victoria's father - Duke of Kent and Strathearn.

Last edited:
I've seen Lady Sarah wear that brooch before and have always admired it because of its great similarity to the Jardine Star. And she did indeed look lovely today.

Artemisia, thank you for explaining the significance of the color of the hood on the Thistle robes. It's appreciated.

I think Lady Sarah looked very elegant today. She definitely knows what works for her and wears it on appropriate occasions.

I'm not saying she looked bad; just that it's always so samey. Every event she attends she wears this style and it's just boring after a while. She's not an old woman but she dresses as if she is. The length of the dress makes her seem shorter than she is, almost as if her legs are about a foot too short.

I like these events with multiple members of the royal family.

The Queen looks wonderful today; she's a very striking woman who carries off ceremonial dress incredibly well.

I don't think that Kate's dress is a very flattering colour, although I like the cut.

No offense to the royal family, but I wish we could have seen all the pipers and dancers as well.

Does anyone know if there are videos of this anywhere?:flowers:

all perfect!!!!! william and kate look so happy and the queen so pround.

I see that the stress of the pronunciation is on the second syllable, not the first as I always thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom