British Royal Family Current Events 5: July 2011-March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would just like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who contributes with their posts and pictures - I really enjoy coming in here - sometimes just browsing, sometimes posting - but wish each and everyone of you and your families a blessed and safe Christmas. I hope 2012 brings good things to you all. :)

The Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry are not exactly known for sharing sartorial tastes.
But it seems they do both have a penchant for £300 leather-lined wellington boots.
While watching her husband Prince William from the sidelines of a football match, Kate committed a rare fashion faux pas when she turned up in the same green wellies as her brother-in-law.

Read more: Kate and Harry, getting on wellie: Prince and Duchess choose matching footwear to watch William play football | Mail Online

It's a muddy football field, so there's nothing wrong with wearing rubber boots. The matching to me is not a big deal at all. I'm not a fan of the boots but I do understand the practicality of owning a pair for rainy and muddy days.

Would just like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who contributes with their posts and pictures - I really enjoy coming in here - sometimes just browsing, sometimes posting - but wish each and everyone of you and your families a blessed and safe Christmas. I hope 2012 brings good things to you all. :)

Thank you, and the same wishes to you and yours as well, and to my fellow forumers!:newyear1:

And may I recommend for everyone's reading pleasure a new biography of the Queen soon to be published, called "Elizabeth the Queen - The Life of a Modern Monarch" by Sally Bedell Smith. This takes you up to current events in the RF, including William and Kate's wedding. This book is one of many, I'm sure, to be published because of the Jubilee.

Last edited:
Many thanks, Baroness, for the recommendation. If I could reciprocate by recommending a book I'm currently reading - 'The Diamond Queen - Elizabeth II and her People' by Andrew Marr who is well known in the UK as formerly the BBC's Political Editor and who still presents a kind of 'Meet the Press' style political programme on the BBC every Sunday. He has also spent a lot of time over the last few years trailing the Queen in order to make the BBC's main documentary for the Diamond Jubilee which will be a 3 parter and broadcast in February to mark the Queen's accession to the throne. All this is a rather long winded way of saying he knows his stuff.

Out of interest, the PoW undertook 601 engagements last year. How does that compare with the heirs of the other European thrones? I genuinely don't know how much Haakon/Felipe/Frederik/Willem-Alexander/Victoria do.

The Duke of Edinburgh today joined the rest of the royal family for the New Year's Day church service.

Good to see Prince Phillip out and about and recovering well!

---------------------

Arriving on foot, Prince Philip smiled at well-wishers who applauded outside the Church of St. Mary Magdalene on the Royal estate at Sandringham at 11am.

About 300 members of the public watched as the Queen arrived in a Bentley but the Duke made the 400 metre walk from Sandringham house

Read more: Crowds applaud Prince Philip as he joins the royal family for New Year's Day church service | Mail Online

I wondered why the Queen wasn't photographed with Prince Phillip goin to church. What a warm public reception for the Prince, so good to see him out an about!

The Duke of Edinburgh walked to Morning Service at Sandringham this morning; the Queen travelled by car with the Contess of Wessex.
Good to see the Duke 'back on top form'!

Oh, and Happy New Year to everyone.

I am delighted to be able to post that it seems that it is 'business as usual' again for the Duke; this morning, he walked to chuch from Sandringham House.

The BBC reported that the Duke exchanged several words with onlookers and looked fit, well and relaxed. The Queen travelled by Bentley with Sophie both to and from the Service. Prince Philip again walked back to the house.

Thank goodness!

Incidentally, Dr Sarah Jarvis, a well known physician with both a busy general practice and and also a role as a medical correspondent has stated that Prince Philp at 90 is as fit as many of her patients in their 50's. That's good, particulary now that Diamond Jubilee Year is now upon us!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was interesting that the Queen read the lesson in church this morning. Usually the lesson is read by a male member of the Royal Family. Alex, do you know if she has done this before?

Thank you Alex for all the wonderful info you give us. What would we do without you. Glad to hear that the duke is doing well. Still think he should take it easy this year but then again, I admire his stubborness. He just won't let anything keep him down will he? Happy New year to all!

Thank you for the video, Daria. I'm glad to see that nothing keeps Philip down for long and that he's in back in fighting form. But I agree that he needs to pace himself and take some time to recuperate fully before the Jubilee events come along. Best wishes to the RF for a happy and healthy New Year, as well as to my fellow forumers.
I wondered why the Queen wasn't photographed with Prince Phillip goin to church. What a warm public reception for the Prince, so good to see him out an about!
I think it's because she normally travels by car and I heard on the radio today that Philip wanted to make it a point that he was back as head of the family striding ahead to church. It was nice to see him back as head of the pack!

He really hasn't got a lot on his plate for the next month or so so he should be able to rest up and have a break. Most of the family, except the Wessexes, have now left so the small family of HM, DoE and the Wessex family will mean not too much stress and small children can be very thereaupeutic in small does, which I am sure will be what is happening with regard to James and Louise.

They normally have some additional friends stay as well, but again they are usually close friends or more extended family so again not too much stress.

Good to see the old warrior back. Hopefully he and HM will be around for much, much longer.

Prince Phillip has such a determined ole spirit, an I admire that about him!

The Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry are not exactly known for sharing sartorial tastes.
But it seems they do both have a penchant for £300 leather-lined wellington boots.
While watching her husband Prince William from the sidelines of a football match, Kate committed a rare fashion faux pas when she turned up in the same green wellies as her brother-in-law.

I have to confess I really find this type of article extraordinary. I can't see that it is a 'faute pas' to wear rubber boots in the country, and if the 'alleged mistake' was to be wearing the same boot as Harry, then that is even more extraordinary. The fact is that daytime country wear for the British is actually pretty standardised - people all wear the same type and brand of 'good countrywear' for country activities, it is NOT like two people turning up in (say) the same Stuart Parvin dress.

If I could help a bit with some information, 'standard' country wear is usually:

Boots by Hunter [the famous 'green wellies'] or L'Aigle or Le Chameau or Dubarry

Waxed jacket by Barbour

Quilted Green jackets and quilted sleeveless bodywarmers. [The favourite royal hardwearing brand used to be made by Husky, which used to be used almost generically [in the same way as sellotape is] to describe quilted sleeveless jackets]

Tweed suits for the ladies, often with quite short skirts for younger women, finished with Hermes scarves.

So far as the BRF is concerned, you will see that its various members all follow this type of country dressing, as do many of their subjects engaged in country pursuits, so it is NOT surprising that they - and their subjects - sometimes 'match' each other. You might like to look back at any pictures of the BRF photographed at shoots or country events and you will see exactly what I mean........

Hope this is of interest,

Alex

Precisely, and it's not just the BRF. People engaged in the same activity often dress alike. The Daily Mail must have had a really, really slow news day.;)

:previous:
So far as the BRF is concerned, you will see that its various members all follow this type of country dressing, as do many of their subjects engaged in country pursuits, so it is NOT surprising that they - and their subjects - sometimes 'match' each other.

Or just trying to fan the flames of fashion faux paux misdirection for the gullible!;)

:previous: Perhaps, yes. Perhaps there'll be a spree of people looking for unique country-wear among the aspirational.:D

I thought it was interesting that the Queen read the lesson in church this morning. Usually the lesson is read by a male member of the Royal Family. Alex, do you know if she has done this before?

I'm afraid that I don't have any direct information on this particular point, NGalitzine. All I can pass on by way of input is that [like you] I have always understood that when it comes to the BRF's 'private' church attendances, male members read the lesson, and usually the Duke does, if only to underline the fact that in 'private life', the Duke is 'head of the family', [the Queen being the Head of the Royal Family]

I'll try to find out by asking someone I know.

Alex

Would this go here? I really don't know...
Princes William and Harry head to Spain for shooting weekend - mirror.co.uk

and..."
allthingsregal Kelly Mathews
"Prince William is having a big send off ahead of his Falklands tour of duty next month.
allthingsregal Kelly Mathews
"William is going on a shooting weekend w/Prince Harry &some friends @ Finca La Garganta the Duke of Westminsters hunting reserve in Spain"
Here are some pics of Harry touching down, I'm guessing in Spain.
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxrlmmtkhU1r5eib1o1_500.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxrlmmtkhU1r5eib1o2_500.jpg

Anyone know if Kate will come along with William and Harry to Spain and if they'll stop by and visit the Spanish royal family?

From what I've heard Kate isn't scheduled to go with them. I've perceived it as some quality bonding time between the brothers before William heads off to the Falklands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom