British Royal Family Current Events 10: July 2018 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Video from today's visit at Windsor Castle. Marvelous music being provided by the Salvation Army brass band.

Wonderful to see the 8 most senior royals together; and it makes sense to have the queen return to the castle while the younger generations talk to those that gathered for this occasion.

Sally Army band! Definitely feels likes Christmas now. ?

And it's cold outside!!

Video from today's visit at Windsor Castle. Marvelous music being provided by the Salvation Army brass band.

Lovely ! I’m so glad the family got to see each other...They really haven’t been able to see much of each other during the pandemic, and it’s nice that they could have a few moments to tonight, in a festive atmosphere. HM looks so festive in “Christmas Red”!

It is really heartening to see the Royal Family together like this after so long. A lovely, festive occasion with the Queen looking as radiant as ever.

Not to get too off topic but in that video is Anne wearing a hearing aid or is it just a trick of the light?

:previous: I believe that it is at lighting trick.

This was such a lovely surprise to see! It was indeed very festive, while following all the appropriate rules.

Yes, such a lovely culmination of the tour. It was a wonderful surprise to see the Queen on the doorsteps of Windsor with her family listening to Christmas carols.:candycane:

This is a fantastic article about how the BRF has really stepped up this year... I promise, this is not an article about Megxit - there’s just so much to unpack, and this was the best place to start.

While 2020 has undoubtedly been a year of scandals, health scares, hardship and enormous change for the Royal family, somehow the Queen has managed to avoid it becoming a second ‘annus horribilis’.

The Sandringham ‘summit’ that was held between the Queen, Charles, William and Harry on 13 January, just five days after the Sussexes’ announcement, to work out the terms of their ‘divorce deal’, is now credited with not only putting the warring brothers back on speaking terms – but ensuring that the Royal family was insulated from the aftershock of Harry and Meghan’s move.

‘Reflecting on it now, it could have gone a lot worse but actually everyone who was party to those talks was struck by how constructive they were,’ said a well-placed source. ‘There weren’t raised voices, on account of HM being present. There was genuinely a desire to try to ensure the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would be departing on good terms, not bad.’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_androidshare_AwYqYTL1HYCY

Gift exchange anyways. Zoom calls. Online games as a family. Traditions can and do adapt and can be enjoyed amid a pandemic and the British Royal Family is no exception and they're setting examples that all of us can follow. With Windsor now going into Tier 4 lock down even family bubbles are not allowed to visit (if I've read things right) and most certainly the traditional walk to church Christmas morning is scratched for this year. Yet we continue to hear blurbs and bits and pieces of just how the Windsor family can and will celebrate the holidays. Together. Differently but still together. We've heard that feuds are on the mend. This is what the BRF does and leads the pack for the rest of us to see and to follow in their example. That, in and of itself, is worth it's weight in gold.

2020 has been an 'annus horriblius" for so many of us yet we've not only survived but have prevailed in so many ways. What hits home is the opening lines of Charles Dickens' 'A Tale of Two Cities" published in 1859.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

This is a fantastic article about how the BRF has really stepped up this year... I promise, this is not an article about Megxit - there’s just so much to unpack, and this was the best place to start.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_androidshare_AwYqYTL1HYCY

[...]

Thank you Betsypaige and Somebody for the Telegraph article. I agree with Camilla Tominey on how the Royal Family have rise up to the pandemic and challenges in 2020, despite facing controversies that potentially could have "derailed" their plans/reputation. The Royal Family is not "stuffy" and "stagnated", as some critics and republicans have previously accused them of, but rather it has adapted to change depending on the circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried accessing the article but was met with a scam page.

I can give summarize my own opinions of the royals 2020.

1. Kudos to the royal family utilizing Zoom to "meet" with the public and carry on with their charitable organizations.

2. In person visits whether to send food packages (done alot by the Countess of Wessex) or the "thank you tour" should not have been done. It may be difficult to not interact physically with people but it is absolutely necessary to contain the spread of the disease.

3. Megxit. I had no idea how this was going to play out. The only thing I knew definitively was that the Crown always comes out on top- and they did.
Interestingly, Megxit was not disaster that many anticipated. The couple continued to work with their charities and secured deals to establish themselves and be financially independently. In essence, they accomplished their mission.

4. Prince Andrew and the Jeffrey Epstein situation was terribly handled. I'm not sure what the perfect solution would've been but not doing a thing about the Prince's image was not it. I suspect 2021 will not be good for Andrew either- certainly if the French investigators have their way.

5. Lastly, I continue to marvel at the remarkable strength and energy the Queen and Prince Philip have on their old age. They really are a wonder and continue to be strong anchors, stabilizing forces despite the changes that happen in the periphery (divorces, people stepping down in their roles...etc).

Thank you Betsypaige and Somebody for the Telegraph article. I agree with Camilla Tominey on how the Royal Family have rise up to the pandemic and challenges in 2020, despite facing controversies that potentially could have "derailed" their plans/reputation. The Royal Family is not "stuffy" and "stagnated", as some critics and republicans have previously accused them of, but rather it has adapted to change depending on the circumstances.

You’re welcome, and you’re exactly right about how the BRF has adapted to changing circumstances. I think they’ve struck a good balance between tradition and change, actually. As to the individuals, I think the one thing 2020 showed is that the monarchy is in good hands, and that people do look to the monarch, the BRF, in times of crisis. It’s clear that the public looks to them for certain things it can get or doesn’t expect from the government, perhaps because they are above politics.

Please note that a link to the full version of the recent Telegraph article has been removed as it seems to have become a broken link. Members with access to the original article are welcome to post a summary.

A report from The Daily Mail, which was picked up by numerous British media outlets:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9384685/Queen-plans-diversity-drive.html

As part of a major drive encompassing Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kensington Palace, aides will undertake a 'listen and learn' exercise over the coming weeks which will involve speaking to a range of businesses and individuals about how the Monarchy can improve representation.

Plans seen by this newspaper detail how the Palace will 'seek independent views' to help assess and improve the approach to diversity – including ethnic minorities, the disabled and the gay and trans communities.

[...]

A Royal source said: 'This is an issue which has been taken very seriously across the Households.

'We have the policies, procedures and programmes in place but we haven't seen the progress we would like and accept more needs to be done. We can always improve.

'We are not afraid to look at new ways of approaching it. The work to do this has been under way for some time now and comes with the full support of the family.'

[...]

Prince Charles has even faced criticism for championing diversity.

In 1994, there were critical headlines after he said he wanted to be 'Defender of Faith' rather than 'Defender of the Faith' when he ascends the throne and becomes head of the Church of England.​

However, despite what Prince Charles said in 1994, religious diversity is not mentioned in the story. Nor is female representation, although senior royal officials are disproportionately male.

British Royal Family Current Events 10: July 2018

Thank you Tatiana Maria for sharing the article.

I'm still sceptical about the Palace plans for diversity tsar, given that it's from the Daily Mail. If it was from The Times, I would have been more convinced.

Having said that, if there is going to be diversity training, I wonder if it is going to be like Unconscious Bias Training, which was very controversial and vigorously debated in UK Parliament last year. Basically, there were 40 Conservative MPs refused to take the Unconscious Bias Training provided by the House of Commons (HoC). Some of their reactions were very dramatic and scathing especially from one of the Times article. At first according to The Times, the anti-racism training was compulsory, but then a BBC article later mentioned that "attendance is voluntary", according to the HoC.

MPs will be made to take anti-racist training at work
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mps-will-be-made-to-take-anti-racist-training-at-work-xrtmpgcs0

Parliament: Tory MPs to refuse unconscious bias training
Several Conservative MPs say they will not take part in unconscious bias training provided by the House of Commons.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-54282685

An opening to the Times article on Conservative MPs refusing to take the unconscious bias training.
Up to 40 Conservative MPs are expected to say no to unconscious bias training intended to tackle racism in the Commons, accusing parliamentary authorities of “pandering to the woke agenda”.

The Times revealed last month that the training, which has existed for parliamentary staff since 2016, was being piloted for MPs. It focuses on addressing prejudices people may have absorbed without knowing it.

Tories in the European Research Group and “Common Sense Group” of right-leaning MPs said most of their colleagues would not take part. “I would really rather gouge my eyes out with a blunt stick than sit through that Marxist, snake oil crap,” said one.

Tom Hunt, the MP for Ipswich, said: “Whoever is pushing this forward now is trying to pander to ...

Dozens of Tory MPs set to refuse unconscious bias training
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...to-refuse-unconscious-bias-training-sfnrm895g

It was later revealed by The Telegraph that the unconscious bias training is going to be scrapped, after a review found that the training has little effect. However, I think the Conservative MPs' opposition did have some sort of impact on its abolishment.

Exclusive: Unconscious bias training to be scrapped after review finds it has little effect
Nearly 170,000 staff across the civil service have taken part in sessions in the past five years, at an estimated cost of £370,000
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...ious-bias-training-scrapped-review-finds-has/

The Minister for Women and Equalities, Liz Truss has also stated that unconscious bias training is a waste of time and money. This was also mentioned in her speech in Centre for Policy Studies, where she criticised identity politics and quotas.

Tom Newton Dunn@tnewtondunn
Equalities minister Liz Truss tells G&T that unconscious bias training is "a total waste of time and money"
@TimesRadio
9:34 PM · Jan 3, 2021·Twitter Web App​

The new fight for fairness – Liz Truss’ speech at the Centre for Policy Studies
https://capx.co/the-new-fight-for-fairness-liz-truss-speech-at-the-centre-for-policy-studies/

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the Palace decision (if it was true), but just pointing out why diversity/inclusivity training could be controversial

Last edited:
Having been in two session of my companies Bias and inclusion and Diversity training - personally I felt both them a waste to time - but it was an improvement to nothing. These sessions are compulsory and we also have to sexual harassments.

Recently - three weeks ago to be precise. We had to redo them for 2021. And they have been wokitify - so previously when we felt they were doing too little I now feel the are doing too much, or trying to be too much. Difficult to explain. For example in the bias group it had a cartoon man been nicer to male understaff that attended the same college as themselves or supported the same football team. Showing bias, although unwittened now the new one say that they must acknowledge and make amends for the slavery and previous hardship caused by the white race by making an effort towards non - white colleagues into the work place and pushing inclusion wherever possible. They literally have a cartoon of the man putting up posters of Nelson Mandela and James Earl Jones on a wall and walking in a Pride parade as there examples of how to promote inclusion. what?

The (Dutch) NOS yesterday reported 'Buckingham Palaces is working on diversity policy'; the referenced an article in the Mail on Sunday and stated that is was also reported by other media outlets. It stated among other things that the palace was already working on this issue prior to the interview. Specifically, attention would be paid to, i.e., discussions would be held with ethnic minorities, the disabled and the LGBT-community.

The Queen and The Prince of Wales enjoy a walk in the grounds of Frogmore House, Windsor.
This images is two released to mark the Easter weekend.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLZQ6PnCXs/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLYxTzAcE7/

Thank you for sharing the two pictures, Blog Real! :flowers:

The Queen and Prince of Wales looks brilliant here in front of the daffodils and blossoms (I think that's the flower, correct me if I'm wrong) at Frogmore House, Windsor.

What lovely pictures. And a beautiful location. It looks idyllic.

This is a wonderful mother and son photo with the gorgeous daffodils in the background.

:previous:
So nice to see QE and Prince Charles spending quality time together. Lovely pictures!

It's nice to know that they are stopping to smell the daffodils especially with both the pandemic and the family. I love that they look so relaxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom