British Royal Family Current Events 10: July 2018 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zara and Mike Tindall are there as well. A real family affair this weekend.

The practice of Philip arriving at Balmoral as Sarah leaves is hardly news. It has been happening now for a number of years.

I am sure he can manage to be in a church at the samye time as Sarah without having to even speak to her.

As it is an afternoon wedding I doubt there will be two receptions so in all probability the couple will do a quick visit to the Castle for some photos before the evening reception at Royal Lodge, which I doubt that the Queen and Philip will attend - note they didn't attend the evening receptions for either William or Harry.

I agree, Philip will be at his granddaughter’s wedding.

Where have you seen that it is an afternoon wedding? I didn’t think we knew the time yet?

Mods, this can be moved to the wedding thread.:flowers:

Posts discussing the precedent of Sarah, Duchess of York and Princess Margaret have been moved here. As this is a current events thread, and Princess Margaret has been dead for 16 years, there is no need to bring her up again.

I am not sure if this qualifies as a 'current event' but here goes:

I was watching the TV show Pointless this evening on the ABC (the British version not the Aussie one on Channel 10) and one of the questions was to name the people who had married descendants of George VI (yes I got them all). I am sure everyone on here would be able to even pick the three that were actually pointless answers. If you want to have a guess maybe PM me and I will create a list of those who are correct in 24 hours or so.

The interesting response for me was the person who knew Diana's name was Diana but not her surname and so got 100 points. Even if they had got that name they would have still gone home because Diana was the highest scoring points followed by Philip and then Kate. I did find it interesting that a Brit didn't know Diana's maiden name and to me they looked like they had never heard the name 'Spencer' when they were told it.

If anyone else watched that episode I also would have come up with a pointless answer for the last question - the cricketers from the 1970s as the first name I came up with was Luckhurst (yes there is a story as to how I know that but not here).

Yesterday they had questions on stately homes which included BP as a possible answer. With that set of answers one person said that Balmoral was the name of the Queen's Norfolk estate. These people are all British remember ... shows that not everyone follows the royals the way we do.

The interesting response for me was the person who knew Diana's name was Diana but not her surname and so got 100 points. Even if they had got that name they would have still gone home because Diana was the highest scoring points followed by Philip and then Kate. I did find it interesting that a Brit didn't know Diana's maiden name and to me they looked like they had never heard the name 'Spencer' when they were told it.

How old was this person? If he was under 30 I’m not surprised. I’d be surprised if they knew anything about Diana more than her name and that she died in a car crash.

shows that not everyone follows the royals the way we do.

Of course they don’t. The number of ardent royal followers, like people on this forum, is tiny in the general population. People are mostly interested in big news (marriages, babies, divorces and any other scandals) and only for the most prominent royals (Queen, Cambridges and Sussexes).

Yesterday they had questions on stately homes which included BP as a possible answer. With that set of answers one person said that Balmoral was the name of the Queen's Norfolk estate. These people are all British remember ... shows that not everyone follows the royals the way we do.

Reminds me of that reality show Sarah Ferguson did where she stayed with a working class family who live on a council estate somewhere in the north of England. The age range was from little kids to parents aged 40-50ish. Not only did they not know who she was, they also had no idea who Andrew is.

It's what always makes me doubt these polls showing that the British people don't want Camilla to be Queen. Realistically, they should ask a follow up question of whether they actually care that much either way, to which I think the answer would be broadly 'not much'.

I always laugh at the Pointless questions on European royalty. When asked, for example, to name the king of the Netherlands or Spain etc. no more than 5% know the answer.

Interestingly the first answer given to that question was Sarah Ferguson and she had a score in the 30s.

Sorry that I didn't post this last night but spent a lot of yesterday at the doctor's having tests ready for knee replacement surgery - now that the stress fracture appears to have healed (so annoying to know that without that fracture I would probably be home after rehab ... or close to it but still have to wait another five weeks for surgery) but I digress....

The three pointless answers: Daniel Chatto (married to Lady Sarah), Serena Stanhope now Countess Snowdon having married David, and Autumn Kelly - Peter Philip's wife.

Tim Laurence was a single digit answer and Mark Philips was in double figures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love how typical these pictures seem - The Queen has the oldest car of the lot and Anne has a dog hanging out the window screaming don't mess with me!

Kate, William, George, Charlotte & Louis are spending this weekend at Balmoral with HM. George was taken to his first grouse shoot on Friday by Kate, with the Queen, Charles, Edward, Sophie, Louise & James, Anne, Zara & Mike Tindall joining for lunch.Quite the family fun!

Via Emily Andrews Twitter

Lovely pic of The Queen and The Duchess of Cambridge in a Bentley on their way to church

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dlhq9zlWsAAj36C.jpg

A pic from Friday. The Duchess of Cambridge, Zara Tindall, Prince George and Savannah Phillips driving on the Balmoral estate

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlhbNeeXcAE90Qp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Cute photo. It's nice to see the younger families at Balmoral with HM and her children. I was wondering if the Cambridges would go to Balmoral this summer.

Yes it was lovely to see the Cambridges at Balmoral ,the queen had plenty to entertain this weekend.

:previous: Thanks.

A pic from Friday. The Duchess of Cambridge, Zara Tindall, Prince George and Isla Phillips driving on the Balmoral estate

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlhbNeeXcAE90Qp.jpg

Looks more like Savannah than Isla. Savannah and George seem to have quite the little bond with Trooping, polo, and now Balmoral together. Isla, Mia, and Charlotte were probably together elsewhere on the estate.

And... at the end of it all, HM looks at Philip and says "I'm too old for this s**t"

That's the blessing of being a grandparent and great grandparent. The wee ones go away. :D

:previous: Cute photo. It's nice to see the younger families at Balmoral with HM and her children. I was wondering if the Cambridges would go to Balmoral this summer.

It is expected that all members of the Queen's immediate family will go to Balmoral for a weekend every summer. Some stay for longer but the adults tend to be for a long weekend.

The Yorks tend to have the first weekend with Sarah also there but no Philip and then the others rotate around.

Charles is up there for most of the time staying at Birkhall and Camilla spends a lot of the time there but she also goes south to spend time with her own children and grandchildren.

No doubt Eugenie and Jack will make an appearance along with Harry and Meghan over the next month or so while the Queen is there. The Snowdons and Chattos may also visit their aunt while it is less often that the Gloucesters or Kents appear anymore as their famillies have grown.

In the past the Norwegian royals would also visit but that hasn't happened for some years now.

Have any political leaders come up yet? Usually the Queen hosts the PM and sometimes CW leaders at Balmoral too. I think Turnball or Trudeau was last summer.

Harry usually goes up to Balmoral for his birthday.

It is expected that all members of the Queen's immediate family will go to Balmoral for a weekend every summer. Some stay for longer but the adults tend to be for a long weekend.

The Yorks tend to have the first weekend with Sarah also there but no Philip and then the others rotate around.

Charles is up there for most of the time staying at Birkhall and Camilla spends a lot of the time there but she also goes south to spend time with her own children and grandchildren.

No doubt Eugenie and Jack will make an appearance along with Harry and Meghan over the next month or so while the Queen is there. The Snowdons and Chattos may also visit their aunt while it is less often that the Gloucesters or Kents appear anymore as their famillies have grown.

In the past the Norwegian royals would also visit but that hasn't happened for some years now.

Yeah, I know that it's required for the immediate relatives to stay if they can; my last sentence was more of a rhetorical one as as far as I can remember, there weren't many reportings of the Cambridges at Balmoral last year, so I got the impression that they don't spend as much time there as HM and some of her children do.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know that it's required for the immediate relatives to stay if they can; my last sentence was more of a rhetorical one as as far as I can remember, there weren't many reportings of the Cambridges at Balmoral last year, so I got the impression that they don't spend as much time there as HM and some of her children do.

Wiliam and Kate were there last year. All the years before they have gone in September, obviously this year and in the future they will have to go earlier because kids have school now.

But in general, I do think that the Queen’s children spend more time at Balmoral than the grandkids. Probably for more reasons, including visiting in-laws, school schedules, going on vacation abroad, etc. The Wessex grandkids being the exception since they’re still minors.

Last edited:
Kate was there last year. Here’s the article. William and Catherine have been to Scotland the last 4 years straight. They missed 2014 but were there ‘11, ‘12 and ‘13.

Kate Middleton arrives for a church service in Balmoral | Daily Mail Online
Seeing the pictures from last year - Phillip rode with the Queen, but no Phillip yesterday, thus Catherine and William in her car.
I noticed it looked like Peter was driving his mom, Princess Anne's group - yet he's not mentioned in the article?

William seems to be stepping in more for Philip with the Queen.

Is Philip at Balmoral yet? Wasn’t it reported that he didn’t go up with the Queen originally? I confess I have not followed the weekly “who’s who” at the church reports so I likely just missed him in prior weeks.

Yeah Peter was in the car but only Sir Tim was mentioned. DM is good for pics, not so much for facts lol.

I noticed it looked like Peter was driving his mom, Princess Anne's group - yet he's not mentioned in the article?

Yes, Peter was driving Anne, Tim and Autumn.
It’s the Daily Fail. We're lucky if they identify the Queen. A few months back they identified Princess Anne as Princess Margaret.

Is Philip at Balmoral yet? .

Yes, he was there last Sunday.

Last edited:
Just as a side note Zenouska Mowatt is currently staying at Glen Feshie which is about 2 hours drive round the Cairngorms to Balmoral.

William seems to be stepping in more for Philip with the Queen.

Is Philip at Balmoral yet? Wasn’t it reported that he didn’t go up with the Queen originally? I confess I have not followed the weekly “who’s who” at the church reports so I likely just missed him in prior weeks.

Philip arrived about an hour after Sarah left. There were reports about his arrival even with the timings of his flight's arrival and her flight. She waved goodbye to Andrew and Beatrice as they went to church and made her way to the airport. Her plane left and Philip's arrived almost immediately. He simply won't be there if she is so she goes up for the first weekend and then he goes up after that.

William and Kate were in the car with The Queen because they are staying at Balmoral while Charles is staying at Birkhall. If Charles was staying at Balmoral he would probably have been the one in that car.

No doubt there will be a weekend where the Queen and Philip go to church in one car and Charles and Camilla in another and the complaints will come about them using two cars totally ignoring the fact that they are coming from two different homes on the estate some miles apart and they don't return to the same homes either.

Wiliam and Kate were there last year. All the years before they have gone in September, obviously this year and in the future they will have to go earlier because kids have school now.

But in general, I do think that the Queen’s children spend more time at Balmoral than the grandkids. Probably for more reasons, including visiting in-laws, school schedules, going on vacation abroad, etc. The Wessex grandkids being the exception since they’re still minors.

Yeah, I meant there weren't many (not none) reports of the Cambridges there - I knew they were there but thought they were there for only a short while.

I do agree about how much time HM's children spend at Balmoral vs. the grandchildren. The Cambridges seem to have quite a long holiday in Mustique before they go to Balmoral though the Wessexes made a trip out of Balmoral this year to explore other parts of Scotland and were seen in Edinburgh (I don't know if Edinburgh was an independent trip or part of their Balmoral holiday however and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Wessexes spent some time abroad too this summer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom