British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't ask me. :lol:

These kind of things do tend to leak out. The story about the white leather toilet seat of Charles has been around for a long time. I just thought it was cute.

Until when the Gloucesters and Kents were invited to spend Christmas with the Queen and her family at Sandringham? Do you have any photos of them attending the church service?

Until when the Gloucesters and Kents were invited to spend Christmas with the Queen and her family at Sandringham? Do you have any photos of them attending the church service?

Not sure when they stopped. They certainly did when their kids were little. But as the family got older, the invite to the extended family slimmed down.

Lovely really old photo, when the senior royals were children, from the 50's

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Ut... invited to sandringham for christmas&f=false

Some pictures of the extended family years ago:

Fredrick pictured with William, Zara and Peter
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/03/3a/59/033a59890c90c64ead446f0065e2a8f8.jpg

Diana and Lady Rose Windsor 1987, from Diana's outfit same year

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/49/d5/06/49d506a29e23e36ad3a8900f198422a1.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4e/2b/f5/4e2bf5d3c73c209428f80cb6eec2717a.jpg

Lady Helen
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/23/b5/bc23b5e6a74b0d0a6c73b5bf52cdbae5.jpg

With two new spouses as well as two new great grandchildren around the Christmas table this year, it is probably only a matter of time before Princess Margaret's descendants are no longer in attendance. The number of royal great grandchildren is likely to increase over the next couple of years so things will be very crowded indeed!

I think we can be pretty well assured that as long as the Queen lives, Margaret's children will be very much in attendance for holidays. From all accounts that I've read, they are quite close.

We do not know how Charles plans to celebrate his holidays with family yet and won't know until he is king.

Considering that Charles is close to both Sarah and David, they most likely have a open invitation in the next reign too. Probably will stop going when their children start having family of their own.

Aren't the two first of these pics from Windsor? As far as I can remember that's where they used to celebrate Christmas until around 1990 and it was a few years after relocating the celebrations to Sandringham that the cousins were cut off because lack of space.
I doubt that Nr 3 is from Christmas itself because of the Greek royals and isn't that Radu and Margareta of Romania behind them?

Last edited:
I think we can be pretty well assured that as long as the Queen lives, Margaret's children will be very much in attendance for holidays. From all accounts that I've read, they are quite close.

We do not know how Charles plans to celebrate his holidays with family yet and won't know until he is king.

I agree, I don't think, no matter how large her children's families become, that the Queen will abandon her sister's children at the holidays.

Not sure when they stopped. They certainly did when their kids were little. But as the family got older, the invite to the extended family slimmed down.

The thing is, all three of the Kent cousins are married, their children are almost all married with children of their own. The Gloucesters' children are married with children. It is only natural that they now have their own family celebrations. The Duke and Duchess of Kent aren't going to spend Christmas day with the Queen instead of their 10 grandchildren.

As far as I can remember that's where they used to celebrate Christmas until around 1990 and it was a few years after relocating the celebrations to Sandringham that the cousins were cut off because lack of space.
I doubt that Nr 3 is from Christmas itself because of the Greek royals and isn't that Radu and Margareta of Romania behind them?

That's my recollection too - that Christmas was spent at Windsor and then the Queen would go to Sandringham for New Year. She started spending Christmas at Sandringham after the fire at Windsor in 1992 and as it's smaller than Windsor had to restrict the number of people she could invite.

Oh this just makes me so sad to think how hard it was to lose her little sister. I don't know why that just hit me.

The "Us Four" was a happy and close family. What made it doubly hard on the Queen is that she lost her sister and then her mother in a matter of weeks.

That's my recollection too - that Christmas was spent at Windsor and then the Queen would go to Sandringham for New Year. She started spending Christmas at Sandringham after the fire at Windsor in 1992 and as it's smaller than Windsor had to restrict the number of people she could invite.

Actually a few years earlier, in 1988, it seems. According to this.

https://www.royal.uk/royal-family-christmas-0

Even before 1988 it wasn't every year. Sandringham was the traditional place for Christmases, even before Elizabeth was queen. In the 60's when her kids were small she started spending them at Windsor. But not always.

But yes, the pictures I posted were it turns out from Windsor (poor posting on site I took them from).

The "Us Four" was a happy and close family. What made it doubly hard on the Queen is that she lost her sister and then her mother in a matter of weeks.

To make it even worse - the last of Philip's sisters died only about six weeks before Margaret so they both lost their sister within six weeks of each other. No matter how much Philip was English and his sisters Germans they were still quite close in many ways with one or more sisters visiting every year.

It really was the 'end of the generation' for them both within such a short period of time.

To make it even worse - the last of Philip's sisters died only about six weeks before Margaret so they both lost their sister within six weeks of each other. No matter how much Philip was English and his sisters Germans they were still quite close in many ways with one or more sisters visiting every year.

It really was the 'end of the generation' for them both within such a short period of time.

Yes Sophie died in 2001 (his last sister before that had died in 1981). Sophie visited her brother quite often, and was Edward's godmother. She was often seen at events like the Windsor horse show. Sophie died in November 2001, Margaret in February 2002 and the queen mum March 2002 so less then 5 months between the three losses.

Actually a few years earlier, in 1988, it seems. According to this.

https://www.royal.uk/royal-family-christmas-0

Even before 1988 it wasn't every year. Sandringham was the traditional place for Christmases, even before Elizabeth was queen. In the 60's when her kids were small she started spending them at Windsor. But not always.

But yes, the pictures I posted were it turns out from Windsor (poor posting on site I took them from).

Thanks for the correction:)

:previous:

Lovely picture of the two of them, yet not very much a holiday picture imo. Wrap a red bow around them with mistletoe hanging above.....

I love the family picture. Not too stiff and formal but just a happy, ordinary family together. All three kids look so cute with their parents. Great picture.

Oh WOW what a gorgeous family picture, this is a keeper for sure. George is getting so tall and full of antics I see while Charlotte is the quiet one today. Louis the wee one, he is soooo beautiful, and so big. I must say, Catherine is in her element, she loves being a mother and wife it seems. Papa Will, well is he sitting back and enjoying his family with a big smile. Just a perfect picture of a cute family out enjoying nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I love it!! The effects of the black and white photo are outstanding and it really does seem to encapsulate the happiness and joy of the couple on their wedding night. :D

It is a very lovely picture to show us this Christmas.
The children look content in the tree. The light on Catherine's hair makes baby Louis appear to have pixie hair!

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are delighted to share a new photograph from their Wedding Reception at Frogmore House on 19th May. The photograph, which features on Their Royal Highnesses’ Christmas card, was taken by photographer Chris Allerton."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuX0t9LWoAARoEn.jpg

That is a beautiful photo of a newly married couple. I was wondering what atmosphere they would choose, and I'm glad that it's something from a very special and happy day. I especially love the fireworks going off over Windsor.

Such a nice photo! They all look relaxed and natural.

Such personalities coming out in this one. Love it.

Those are wonderful climbing trees! And it looks like someone is collecting walking sticks. How many of us have children who collect sticks? My neighborhood is FULL of them. LOL

Last edited:
It's pretty spectacular and we've seen a lot of their faces this year.
Good job by the photographer.

What a wonderful photo! Everyone looks happy, and we are getting to see a tiny glimpse of the real family in one of their favorite settings.

You can read Harry by his feet sometimes. This is one of those times. ? And I am just so happy he has found his someone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom