British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
9 am service is in a private part of estate, so ladies are in less formal attire.
11 am service is in the public part, where wellwishers can greet them, take pics etc, so they are in formal outfits including hats and jewellery.

Thank you, annaelfka. :flowers:

Only two hours apart? I suppose when you have servants doing all the cooking and laying out your outfits you can spend all Christmas day going to church and eating and changing into different outfits between each activity.

I find the hat business interesting because I have always thought there was some element of propriety involved, i.e. Anglican women were supposed to cover their heads in church like Catholics do (or at least did), but if the Queen herself doesn't see the need to wear a hat then the hat-wearing for Anglicans seems to only be about dressing up. Where's Bertie? She'll know.

:poinsettia:

Still no James!

I know! I really hoped he would be there. Louise was adorable though as she and Margarita helped William and Kate gather their flowers.

Thank you, annaelfka. :flowers:

Only two hours apart? I suppose when you have servants doing all the cooking and laying out your outfits you can spend all Christmas day going to church and eating and changing into different outfits between each activity.

I find the hat business interesting because I have always thought there was some element of propriety involved, i.e. Anglican women were supposed to cover their heads in church like Catholics do (or at least did), but if the Queen herself doesn't see the need to wear a hat then the hat-wearing for Anglicans seems to only be about dressing up. Where's Bertie? She'll know.

:poinsettia:
I'm baffled to see that the Royal ladies have attended church with heads uncovered - I had always assumed their hat-wearing was done for propriety's sake, not as a fashion-statement. (former Anglican, now RC here)

Why isn't James a part of the royal parade? I know he's young, but he's getting to an age where he should be a part of such gatherings, even if only for a short time. What's the youngest age a royal kid has done the walk to Christmas church services? Or is it decided more by the child's attention span and ability to behave? Some kids manage to grasp this faster than others.

You know Wyevale, I think he is!

I think the reason he doesn't go is because he likely can't sit still for long enough. He looks like he has a lot of energy to spend and perhaps his parents don't think it's appropriate for him to be chattering the whole way through the church service. I hoped he would be there this year as he has attended a few family things this year, but no such luck. Next year when he is 7 may be his year!

Watching the Queen and Royal Family has been a Christmas morning tradition here for many years,I missed it yesterday morning thanks to the Christmas Eve storms but I'm now catching up!

What - no screaming from the bushes that a 40+ woman should never wear a short skirt - need to lie down to recover.

I think one cannot say in general all women of 40 plus should never wear a short skirt! I think it depends all on the specific type and personality AND the way things are combined.
Some look very good in it, some shouldn´t wear a short skirt.

Could someone please help me with the names of both sons of Sarah Chatto and Lord Linley? I always confusingly mix them up.... I think it´s Charles and Arthur Armstrong-Jones , but the Chatto-boy? Who is who on the Sandringham-chapel-steps-pic?! Thanks in advance!

Lovely photos of The RF at Sandringham. Louise has grown up a lot and is quite a pretty young lady. It's nice to see Margarita (who is blossoming into a beautiful young lady) and Louise helping HM with the flowers. I was a little disappointed that James didn't attend, he's 6 now so he's "of age". Hopefully he'll go next year. I also liked listening to HM's speech (I don't really get to have that opportunity as my uncle is a republican and I go to his house for Christmas), the footage of the official christening photos being taken was adorable.

Could someone please help me with the names of both sons of Sarah Chatto and Lord Linley? I always confusingly mix them up.... I think it´s Charles and Arthur Armstrong-Jones , but the Chatto-boy? Who is who on the Sandringham-chapel-steps-pic?! Thanks in advance!

Sarah Chatto's children are called Samuel and Arthur, Charles Armstrong-Jones is Linley's son and he has a sister called Margarita. If this is the photo you're referring to, then I think that is Charles and Arthur on the steps (you can also see Samuel behind them). :flowers:

I'd guess that it may be Margarita Armstrong-Jones, but I could be wrong. I can't remember if the Armstrong-Jones family came last year, or the year before.

IIRC, The Linleys didn't attend last year's Christmas at Sandringham but did attend the year before's. :)

Last edited:
Sarah's sons are Samuel and Arthur, David's son is Charles and his daughter is Margarita.

I think the reason he doesn't go is because he likely can't sit still for long enough. He looks like he has a lot of energy to spend and perhaps his parents don't think it's appropriate for him to be chattering the whole way through the church service. I hoped he would be there this year as he has attended a few family things this year, but no such luck. Next year when he is 7 may be his year!

If the reason is that he can't sit still for a church service, I shudder to think what he's like in school, all day long.

Some of the younger members of the Royal Family appeared to be enjoying the Christmas festivities as they larked around outside the annual church service at Sandringham.
Among those having a right Royal laugh was prankster Peter Phillips who took advantage of Prince William chatting with younger brother Harry to play a 'bunny ears' trick on his cousin.
Princess Anne's son Peter, 36, had a cheeky grin across his face as he crouched down behind the Prince, ready to pounce.

Prince William mocks bearded Harry, before Peter Phillips pulls 'bunny ears' prank | Mail Online

I usually think that beards make men better-looking, but I have to say that I'm not a fan of Harry's - he looked better without it.

I'm definitely on the side of folks that think Harry looks very very good with his beard. Without it, Harry always had kind of a boyish charm to him but add that beard and its like.. wow.. instantly all man oozing sex appeal. :w00t:

The women over 40 who look great in short skirts (discussed earlier on this thread) do so because they are skinny, really really skinny. Some of them may just be fine boned, so that having legs that thin is perfectly natural for them. I found a pic of me in my 40's and my legs were very thin. I was a teacher so I never wore short skirts except when on vacation at the beach. I'm from a different generation, however. Old Fogey.

The second video is lovely as it shows Louise and Margarita helping William with his flowers.

I enjoyed both videos, but, like Molly said, the second definitely wins, for the interaction between Louise, and her cousins. She's transitioning from a sweet child into a lovely, and sweet young lady. I'm looking forward to seeing more of her.

I wonder if the crowds bring flower specifically for Charles, Camilla, William, Harry etc which is why they collect them or if it's just a rule/tradition that the senior royals collect them. I noticed how all the Queens other children and grandchildren all walk straight down to church/sandringham on those videos.

I was wondering w/my Parents when showing them the pictures, if perhaps his antics on the Balcony at TtC, might have come into play w/James not going to Services yesterday. It's one thing for him to cut up like that in private, or even on the Balcony, but not not at a Public Christmas Day Service.

Just something we were wondering about.

William's "flower girls" were absolutely adorable and they seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. For that matter, William seemed like a very indulgent older cousin and quite charmed by them as well.

But this is the first time I was really aware of the Protection Officers. A few years ago I seem to remember a few really low key and the local Police providing crowd control but this was different. They all seemed to be hyper-vigilant and it seemed that Catherine even had two!

Changing times?

Woman over 40 in short skirt: She is a private person with questionable taste. End of story.

Lovely second video, thank you so much for that, Dman. :) The younger generation certainly is much fun with their interactions with the people waiting to see them. And the crowd calls them by their first names...love it.. haha.

I'm definitely on the side of folks that think Harry looks very very good with his beard. Without it, Harry always had kind of a boyish charm to him but add that beard and its like.. wow.. instantly all man oozing sex appeal. :w00t:

Absolutely! Most men look better with a beard. Especially the not so good-looking-ones should grow one; the handsome guys often even improve their good looks.

Sarah Chatto's children are called Samuel and Arthur, Charles Armstrong-Jones is Linley's son and he has a sister called Margarita. If this is the photo you're referring to, then I think that is Charles and Arthur on the steps (you can also see Samuel behind them). :flowers:

Now I see! thank you so much! I didn´t have so much trouble with their specific names, rather who was who.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom