British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know that either. I'm surprised that it's not been made more public. It does make sense after all. In effect his position is equivalent to a vice president.

I didn't know that either. I'm surprised that it's not been made more public. It does make sense after all. In effect his position is equivalent to a vice president.

Information relating to security of key public figures is rarely made public, there is little need to.

Information relating to security of key public figures is rarely made public, there is little need to.

I was thinking about averting criticism/charges of hypocrisy but yes you're right it does make sense to disclose as little as possible about security/travel arrangements.

Do we know if, perhaps, whatever he used to fly (jet? helicopter?) has already been converted to sustainable aviation fuel (SAF, aka the "green jet fuel") like the plane he used for Jordan tour which is said can cut a plane’s carbon emissions by as much as 70 to 80 per cent compared to the traditional jet fuel? Because if it has, then Charles still walks his talks. After all, it's easier to apply this fuel conversion on his private jet than to whatever commercial plane he potentially used if he flew commercial.

As I understand it the RAF Voyager aircraft has converted to using sustainable aviation fuel but for most trips other than official overseas tours the royals use charter jets from companies/brokers. So I guess there is every possibility the jet did use sustainable aviation fuel if it was available. I wonder if the Queen's Helicopter flight aircraft have converted to using it, that would be interesting to know.

Last edited:
I appreciate the explanations but my question is whether Prince Charles needed to go to Scotland. The issue is whether the royal family, including the Queen now, is advocating that other people make lifestyle changes to protect the environment, should lead the way. I understand that for security reasons, official travel may not be environmentally friendly, but perhaps they should set an example by taking fewer vacations

We're talking about travelling from England to Scotland, not the Maldives. It's not realistic to expect that no-one will ever travel anywhere. The travel and tourism industry, which supports millions of jobs, would close down if it did, and no-one would ever visit relatives, or go to sporting events or concerts or exhibitions outside their home town.

Just out of interest, I had a look at how you would go by train from Highgrove to Aberdeen - which is the nearest station to Balmoral and still 45 miles away, as Victoria and Albert deliberately chose a home in the middle of nowhere. It's between 9 and 10 hours, depending on how often you change, and then you'd have a 45 mile drive at the end of it.

Charles believes that he needs to spend time in the various part of the Kingdom and always spends a week or so living at his home in Wales as well as about four months of the year in Scotland. This means employment for local people at this time of the year as well, while many of his staff further south take their holidays. He will also usually undertake some early engagements during the year in Scotland because he is there.

:previous: Indeed, both Charles and Camilla and HM when she was still travelling, all work their diaries around the different homes they have so they can easily fulfil engagements in Scotland, Wales, etc. It keeps them in touch with people in counties all over the UK.

Forswearing travel, either by air, road or rail, would severely curtail their ability to fulfil those engagements they are committed to. Obviously, they are not on holiday or vacation every time they move from Clarence House to Highgrove or Birkhall etc.

I appreciate the explanations but my question is whether Prince Charles needed to go to Scotland. The issue is whether the royal family, including the Queen now, is advocating that other people make lifestyle changes to protect the environment, should lead the way. I understand that for security reasons, official travel may not be environmentally friendly, but perhaps they should set an example by taking fewer vacations

Are you suggesting that we should all stay at home and not go anywhere.

That is certainly a possibility.

That said, the drive from Windsor up to Birkhall, without stopping, takes over 9 hours, so perhaps not the most comfortable way to travel or the best use of ones time. That of course does not factor in the time it will take to stop along the motorway to charge ones electric car, or stops for meals and loo breaks.

I know it's a long drive, that's why I said he could have done it over a couple of days. It just looks like he wants everyone else to put themselves out for the sake of the environment but not himself.

their vacations mirror those of older days when "the court" from residence to residence and likely is still seen a way to keep in touch and be seen as part of a wider part of the UK other than London and the South.

As for less vacations, well I guess you could argue that HM for example, has rarely taken a holiday outside of the UK so she is setting a good example when compared to those who may jet around the world for a break.

Hopefully the Princess Royal will be able to pay her mother a New Years Visit soon.

Anne seems very good at sneaking in and out of Windsor unnoticed so I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear she already has visited. I'm sure whether she already has or is soon to, HM will be delighted to catch up with her only daughter.

I know it's a long drive, that's why I said he could have done it over a couple of days. It just looks like he wants everyone else to put themselves out for the sake of the environment but not himself.

Not quite. As has been stated by other posters, HM and the PoW / DoC staying at different royal residences at different times of the year is to be seen to not just be based in London and the South East, but being in touch with people across the UK. The time in Scotland is very much part of that. I am sure C&C will conduct engagements in Scotland over the next few weeks.

As regards making changes to our lifestyles, we all have to do our bit. Prince Charles rarely takes foreign holidays, and usually only travels abroad for work. He famously gave up his annual skiing trip to reduce his carbon footprint.

Anne seems very good at sneaking in and out of Windsor unnoticed so I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear she already has visited. I'm sure whether she already has or is soon to, HM will be delighted to catch up with her only daughter.

I am sure Anne will visit (or will already have) as soon soon as it is safe for her to do so.

Not quite. As has been stated by other posters, HM and the PoW / DoC staying at different royal residences at different times of the year is to be seen to not just be based in London and the South East, but being in touch with people across the UK. The time in Scotland is very much part of that. I am sure C&C will conduct engagements in Scotland over the next few weeks.

As regards making changes to our lifestyles, we all have to do our bit. Prince Charles rarely takes foreign holidays, and usually only travels abroad for work. He famously gave up his annual skiing trip to reduce his carbon footprint.

I'm not talking about what he does in Scotland I'm talking about how he got there.

I'm not talking about what he does in Scotland I'm talking about how he got there.

Not sure why a busy man like Charles might spend 2 days getting to Scotland when he can get there in 90 minutes.

Not sure why a busy man like Charles might spend 2 days getting to Scotland when he can get there in 90 minutes.

because of the carbon footprint aspect. IMO most of the people who lecture about carbon footprints do quite a bit of travelling... and Charles used to have a big fancy gas guzzling car

because of the carbon footprint aspect. IMO most of the people who lecture about carbon footprints do quite a bit of travelling... and Charles used to have a big fancy gas guzzling car

He did used to, but now he has an electric Audi. Prior to this, he had an electric Jaguar I-Pace.

Last edited:
Have to consider the transportation for their security team as well. Is the two day multi vehicle car trip a better choice or is the flight?

If the problem is carbon footprint, it means the problem is not about the usage of private jet but it's fuel, right?

So wouldn't it be great if Charles and William start the trend of using the green jet fuel? Since it's chartered, they could lobby the jet provider that they would only use one which had been converted to SAF. While in the long run for the jet provider, they could put it as their selling point to their other customers as well: of not giving up the luxury of traveling privately while also avoiding critiques of carbon emissions (particularly for those celebrities/ppl with money who are also an environment activists). It'd be win-win for everyone.

In term of carbon footprints, it's some sort like travelling by electric car vs gas fueled bus. Just like electric cars, ones who can afford it first are the riches and this green jet fuel conversion is more feasible to be applied by to those private chartered jets than by, say, British Airways because this conversion likely will affect the price which those riches are capable to afford unlike the average joe and jane who are using commercial flight.

And who know if the one Charles used is SAF converted already, right?

Have to consider the transportation for their security team as well. Is the two day multi vehicle car trip a better choice or is the flight?

I definitely think that, all things considering, the flight is actually the wisest choice. A multi car convoy getting everyone and anyone including the dogs to a hiatus residence has their own carbon footprints that they leave.

Think about the "normal" holiday times that most British royals follow. They're scheduled for a specific time period. You rarely hear of "weekenders" or "getaway" trips. Prior to the pandemic you could set your clocks by when the Queen goes to Balmoral or to Sandringham.

I actually think that to pick on Charles for carbon footprints and calling any royal a hypocrite for using flights is tilting at windmills. I look at my own life and how pro "go green" and "save the planet" I can be but yet I look at my own everyday life and see times where it just isn't feasible to take the greener option or heck... it isn't even available. In my area right now our recycle center is not accepting plastic for some reason. The dilemma is do I trash all this plastic or let it pile up and take up a room in my home? I cannot avoid things made with plastic.

I truly believe that Charles' message is to be aware of carbon footprints and to avoid them when possible and to change things where you can to try and make a difference. Such as his car that runs on white wine and how he's set things up at Highgrove to drain bath water to be used in the gardens. Not to avoid the world as it is but to make a difference when and where we can. He's doing that by example by the boatloads.

I actually think that to pick on Charles for carbon footprints and calling any royal a hypocrite for using flights is tilting at windmills. I look at my own life and how pro "go green" and "save the planet" I can be but yet I look at my own everyday life and see times where it just isn't feasible to take the greener option or heck... it isn't even available. In my area right now our recycle center is not accepting plastic for some reason. The dilemma is do I trash all this plastic or let it pile up and take up a room in my home? I cannot avoid things made with plastic.

We have separate bins - trash cans in American English - for plastic, for paper/cardboard, and for garden and food waste. The council binmen collect them. But you aren't supposed to put the plastic lids from plastic bottles in the bin for plastic stuff. No, I do not get this either! When I was a kid, a milkman came round on a cart every morning and left glass bottles of milk with foil lids outside everyone's home, and you then returned the glass bottles. Now, nearly everyone gets milk in plastic bottles from the supermarket. When my late grandparents were young married couples, you gave your grocery order to someone at the local shop and they parcelled up local produce for you in a cardboard box. Now, everything is pre-wrapped in plastic and comes from a supermarket, brought from all over Europe, and you pack your own stuff into plastic bags. That's not the fault of any one person - bigger forces need to change.

I definitely think that, all things considering, the flight is actually the wisest choice. A multi car convoy getting everyone and anyone including the dogs to a hiatus residence has their own carbon footprints that they leave.
All for the satisfaction of saying that Charles, personally, travels green. I agree with you that it defies the purpose.

I just returned from my holiday - on a plane, of course. I do try to go green whenever possible but I can safely say that wasting two work days (freelancers don't actually get the luxury of fixed days off but then, who has it cast in stone? Many people do work during a holiday...) for a bus travel amidst a COVID wave isn't exactly the best decision for me, personally, or the world as a whole... We can apply the same logic to Charles.

Last edited:
Think about the "normal" holiday times that most British royals follow. They're scheduled for a specific time period. You rarely hear of "weekenders" or "getaway" trips. Prior to the pandemic you could set your clocks by when the Queen goes to Balmoral or to Sandringham.

Charles is very much the same:

Boxing Day or 27th December to Scotland for a month

End of January until the week before Easter based in London during the week and Highgrove for the weekends.

Week before Easter for a month - back to Scotland.

Then back to London and Highgrove for the weekends.

August and September back to Scotland

Back to London end September, first week in October.

One weekend a year at Sandringham for the Sandringham Flower Show and then from 6.00 p.m. Christmas Day until either Boxing Day or 27th December.

Are you suggesting that we should all stay at home and not go anywhere.

I am definitely not saying that. Although I understand that there are sometimes security concerns and even utility for Charles travelling around the UK, many "green" policies advocated by Charles and other activists will make travel too expensive for many low and middle income people.

More than most, Charles tries to lead by example (i.e, using organic farming techniques before it was popular) but he can afford to do so without sacrificing his life style. It can be easy to lecture others about making more environmentally friendly choices but for many of us, that requires incurs higher cost and inconvenience.

We have separate bins - trash cans in American English - for plastic, for paper/cardboard, and for garden and food waste. The council binmen collect them. But you aren't supposed to put the plastic lids from plastic bottles in the bin for plastic stuff. No, I do not get this either! When I was a kid, a milkman came round on a cart every morning and left glass bottles of milk with foil lids outside everyone's home, and you then returned the glass bottles. Now, nearly everyone gets milk in plastic bottles from the supermarket. When my late grandparents were young married couples, you gave your grocery order to someone at the local shop and they parcelled up local produce for you in a cardboard box. Now, everything is pre-wrapped in plastic and comes from a supermarket, brought from all over Europe, and you pack your own stuff into plastic bags. That's not the fault of any one person - bigger forces need to change.
Where I live there are many markets where the produce is not pre wrapped. And you can buy your meat or fish from a counter where they wrap in paper.even the big supermarket chains have a choice.plastic bags are outlawed. Milk in glass bottles is also available too but you have to return it to the store. Not too long ago, our local dairy farm delivered milk to the house in glass bottles. Probably stopped about 15 years ago, and now they sell their milk in plastic jugs in markets, just not the same!

I started to really enjoy gardening when I read an article about Charles' habit of talking to his plants over 2 decades ago and now it also becomes a habit of mine. So there, at least there's one which I'm able to copy. I don't know how much good it brings to the environment, but what I know is that it's good for my mental health (for one, whatever I told to my plants, it's never judged me).

Maybe it's just me, but I've never got any impression (both from Charles and William) that I have to follow their example by doing what they do. For example, from Charles' last interview in that garden and him listing example of what he has done, the message I get is we can do our part in caring about environment without the need to change my life in extreme. When Charles said about his wine fueled car, what I get is him saying "hey, this is what I attempt to to do reduce my carbon footprints" and not "hey, you should also change your gasoline fueled car into wine".

Honestly, I prefer Charles environmental activism style than those activists who yell " you should become vegan", "you should stop using plastics", etc. It's about taking part, doing what you can do as practically possible. We should start somewhere and if because of their positions Charles and William can start from by doing something big and significant, then good for them.

I mean in extreme, do I need to amputate my leg before I could encourage my relative for his therapy just so we're on an even ground? After all, it's easy for me to say those words of encouragement since unlike him, I still have my legs.

Btw about plastic, what I usually do is reuse it. I can reuse it to pack something else some other time or just fill it with soil, put seeds or branch some some plant and let it grows. It can be spinach which I can use to make salad later or branch of petunia which can be used as decoration when the flowers bloom. In this case, I can reduce my plastic waste (no need to buy pots) and I don't need acrees of land for this mini organic farming/gardening. And yes, it includes detergent plastic bag (but I wash it first before I use it to plant anything).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom