The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-14-2018, 07:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I was thinking about the photo on the Christmas card, and aside from what a pretty photo it is, I thought it was interesting from a psychological perspective. I wonder if it's predictive of what we can expect from them in the future?

Here we have a lovely photo, of a non-public moment, which they chose to share. But it's taken from the back, it's not possible to see if the two figures really are Harry and Meghan (I know it is, but bear with me) and it's dark. So in effect, even though it's been put out there for public consumption, they've controlled how much we can actually see, and we can't actually see much. I sense a theme developing....

It's interesting if you think about it in the context of the current relentless media scrutiny.
WOW! That is DEEP! You're right, I think the ongoing media onslaught will ensure that the private lives of Harry, Meghan and their child/children will be very PRIVATE and secluded!

It makes a lot of sense the way you explain it though! I have seen so many interpretations about this photo! Poor me...I just saw it as a simple wedding photo

The most "interesting" interpretation I've seen is that this photo was chosen as a response to the media since they are not allowed to speak out directly! The fact that Harry and Meghan have their backs to the camera represents their stance against the media onslaught they have received in recent weeks. The couple standing close together with hands clapsed is symbolic of them standing by each other as a team! The fireworks represent the media's attack on them!

There sure are a lot of internet psychologists!

Old 12-14-2018, 08:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

We have Boggs and Muck boots here in the U.S. that are commonly worn in farming areas.

LaRae

Old 12-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yeah, I'm probably overthinking it
Old 12-14-2018, 08:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Beautiful photo. Lovely another insight into wedding.

The picture suits them. They are a young married couple, no kids yet. Just because you marry doesn't mean you become middle aged and sweaters and boring. It seems people picture them becoming the country toffs the Cambridges became, when married. Harry and Meghan seem to embrace just because you are married and expecting doesn't mean knitted sweaters and nights by a fire.

Lovely they did it at Frogmore which is so much a part of them.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Then again, applying Occam's Razor theory, they picked that picture because they really, really liked it.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I'm sure it's not a rule that's set in stone to the point that they had to put tights on him. The sky wouldn't have fallen in had he wore a little pair of trousers.
You do realize that I used the word "tradition" and not "rule", right..?

It is a tradition, especially among the aristocracy, upper class, all the fancy people, that small boys wear shorts until they are older (around 7 or 8 years old, usually, sometimes earlier) - long trousers are in some circles considered "middle class". (Please note that it's not my opinion, because I find the whole thing a bit ridiculous, but it is what it is.) That's why Prince George wearing long trousers for the wedding was made into a thing. He never wore long trousers before, always shorts.

So yes, the sky might've fallen if Prince Louis wore long trousers. Also I don't understand why you're so offended with the tights, it's a pretty normal article of clothing. After all, the most important thing is that the child is warm and comfortable.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Courtier

I think the photo gives some insight on their wedding day from their perspective.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:17 PM
Royal Highness

I like the photo not only for the romance but what I believe it symbolizes: together taking on the critics and looking ahead to a bold and bright future. Cue their wedding song "Stand by Me".
Old 12-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Nobility

Most of the Sussexes' official portraits released this year have been black and white photos.

Some one correct me if I am wrong but I heard that the press doesn't like to run black and white photos on front pages (it doesn't grab your attention like big colourful pictures do on front pages)

It felt like a perfect balance of a lovely natural picture of the couple at one of their most personal and happy times in their lives shared with the public that is open to interpretation (some have interpreted it as the couple looking up at the bright future or looking back at the end of a day/year of celebrations etc) but still private (black and white with their backs turned).

It was a lovely picture to share that really captured the special feelings of that day. It is probably my favorite picture they have released so far.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:35 PM
Heir Apparent

My favorite family photo. Little Louis is so cute and looks like mama
Old 12-15-2018, 03:26 AM
Royal Highness

Yes, I think the Xmas card photo is a portrait H&M enjoy, and it signifies a special moment in a very special year for them, so it's a good choice to share on a Xmas card which sums up the year for them. Plus, the photo selection also signifies I think how much they enjoy Windsor and Frogmore environs, which is where they will soon be setting up full-time residence. The photo is likely meant to further underscore how much this setting means to them.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:19 AM
Courtier

I agree, he is the image of Catherine. I like that the photo doesn't look too staged & instead could be taken just before they go for a walk or play games in the garden. It's one of those happy photos that grandparents have framed.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:54 AM
Majesty

Royal photographer Arthur Edwards verdict on the Cambridge family Christmas photo:

“It is fantastic because it is a classic, family picture where everyone looks so happy and relaxed. It is the best picture of Prince Louis so far. And Prince George looks full of mischief.

“People will look at that and feel the Royal Family’s future is in safe hands.”
Old 12-15-2018, 07:58 AM
Royal Highness

one more verdict

Markle sparkle v. country Kate: Two very telling cards...and deliciously, says JAN MOIR, they reveal all you need to know about the different wives of Windsor
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ing-cards.html
Old 12-15-2018, 08:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
one more verdict

Markle sparkle v. country Kate: Two very telling cards...and deliciously, says JAN MOIR, they reveal all you need to know about the different wives of Windsor
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ing-cards.html
Rubbish. Thoroughly nasty snark towards both families.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:15 AM
Majesty

Royal photographer Arthur Edwards verdict on the Sussex Christmas photo:

“I HATE black and white Christmas cards. You can’t even tell they are watching fireworks. They remind me of war photos of a bombing.

“I don’t like they have their backs to camera. Nice try at doing something different but they are trying to be too clever and arty.”

Royal photographer Arthur Edwards verdict on Charles and Camilla’s Christmas card:

“A LOVELY card. Prince Charles wants to show how dearly he loves his wife and wants people to see that she will be by his side when he is monarch.

“There is a formality to this but it still manages to be very personal.”
Old 12-15-2018, 08:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Interesting, Arthur sounds grouchy. Probably angry he’s not gotten good photos of H & M.

I thought it was a lovely, romantic photo from the couple’s wedding day-the most important day for them as a couple. I know we only see them from behind, but they seem relaxed and happy to me.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Royal photographer Arthur Edwards verdict on the Sussex Christmas photo:

“I HATE black and white Christmas cards. You can’t even tell they are watching fireworks. They remind me of war photos of a bombing.

“I don’t like they have their backs to camera. Nice try at doing something different but they are trying to be too clever and arty.”
I get that Arthur thinks he is an expert, but why did we need to hear this? He just sounds cranky and petty. GRINCH!

We all get to pick out our own photos for Christmas. And if people don't like them, they should just not look. Merry Christmas, Arthur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post

Lovely picture of the two of them, yet not very much a holiday picture imo. Wrap a red bow around them with mistletoe hanging above.....
The photo the POW chooses is almost never Christmassy. They pick something from over the year, This is very in keeping with that.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

I personally like the use of this photo for their Christmas card - it was always going to be a photo from their wedding and the fireworks add a festive, celebratory touch to the idea. It seems back and white photography for their official photos is something they will continue to do and I like that consistency.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:06 AM
Courtier

I love that card. The b/w gives it a wintery feel & we're invited in to share their view & their romantic moment at the end of their wedding day. I think it'll be a hit with many young people, who also have this kind of photo taken at their wedding. Plenty of time in the future for the kids & dogs pics.

Tags
christmas