British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s always great to see Catherine’s family join The Queen for church service at this time of the year and around Catherine’s birthday. I always say it’s important for folks who marry into the royal family to keep their family around for support.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s reported as being faux fur, which if this is true, is not a problem.

[...]

It's nice that Catherine's parents and her closest friends could spend the weekend celebrating her birthday with her. She has such a tight circle of loved ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
The royals at church at Sandringham:

Nice to see the Cambridges at church with HM and other members of the family today.

Please note that posts attempting to promote or incite gossip, rumour and speculation - and subsequent responses - have been deleted.

Court Circular 5th January:
Sandringham, Norfolk

Divine Service was held in Sandringham Parish Church this morning.
The Bishop of Bristol preached the Sermon.

The Queen presented The Queen Elizabeth Prize for Academic Excellence at Springwood High School, King's Lynn, to Ellie Chen, who was introduced into Her Majesty's presence by Mr. Andrew Johnson, the Headmaster.

Isn't it Catherine's birthday next week? Given the children will be back in school maybe they are having a bit of a party weekend for her birthday. Nice to see the Marchioness of Cholmondeley there after all those ridiculous rumours and reports last year.

The Cholmondeley's live in Norfolk, are possibly members of St. Mary Magdalene church, and are a staunch, established part of the aristocratic/ royal social set. Therefore, it's not surprising to see them in the crowd with other aristos and royals surrounding the Christmas holidays. The Cholmondeleys also both attended the state dinner held for DTrump at BP last June.

Last edited:
Norfolk is a large area and has many churches. There is more than one church on the Sandringham Estate, such as the one at Anmer near Anmer hall.

The Cholmondeleys were at the State Banquet because the Marquis is the Lord Great Chamberlain and us such is expected to attend many State occasions. He also attended the State Openings of Parliament due to that position. He also has one of the automatic seats in the House of Lords. They would be at things like State Banquets whether or not they were also friendly with the royals.

Their home - Houghton Hall - has its own 'parish church'. It was in the village of Houghton originally but when the village was pulled down and rebuilt the parish church remained where it was. That is the parish church to which the Cholmondeley's would 'belong' assuming they belong to any church.

There are at least six churches on the Sandringham estate. The Queen will go to church at most of them over the next month. https://sandringhamestate.co.uk/community

Court Circular 5th January:
Sandringham, Norfolk

Divine Service was held in Sandringham Parish Church this morning.
The Bishop of Bristol preached the Sermon.

The Queen presented The Queen Elizabeth Prize for Academic Excellence at Springwood High School, King's Lynn, to Ellie Chen, who was introduced into Her Majesty's presence by Mr. Andrew Johnson, the Headmaster.

This was the first engagement by any member of the family for 2020. Last year Charles did an engagement on the 1st but it is usually around the time of the first Sunday that things start happening and this year is no exception.

Norfolk is a large area and has many churches. ...

The Cholmondeleys were at the State Banquet because the Marquis is the Lord Great Chamberlain and us such is expected to attend many State occasions. He also attended the State Openings of Parliament due to that position. He also has one of the automatic seats in the House of Lords. They would be at things like State Banquets whether or not they were also friendly with the royals.

Exactly the point I was making regarding their attendance at the state banquet... As to your other observations regarding the number of churches in Norfolk, thank you.

Christmas 2020

There is an article on ITV's website on how the Royal Family celebrates Christmas this year, after the relaxation of COVID-19 restriction guidelines. The article has not confirmed where The Queen will be staying at Christmas (I assuming either Windsor or Sandringham).

Under a relaxation of the coronavirus rules, three households can mix from December 23 to 27, but the bubble must be exclusive over the five-day period, meaning people cannot shift from one group to another.

Royal family: Which royals will be in the Queen’s Christmas bubble?
[Thursday 26 November 2020, 9:41am]
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-26/royal-family-which-royals-will-be-in-the-queens-christmas-bubble

I see that the rule in the UK is two households; does that mean that two households can celebrate Christmas together or can each household invite two other households (so 3 in total)?

My guess would be that the Wessex family will be the 'second household' for the queen and duke of Edinburgh.

N.B. Question was already answered two posts up. So, who might be the third household in the Queen's bubble?

I wouldn't be surprised if the PoW and DoC decide on forming a Christmas bubble with the Duchess' children's families. The Middletons will not be able to all meet together as that would be 4 households. Maybe the Cambridges can join the queen instead (if none of Catherine's siblings is planning to spend Christmas with their in-laws). They seem to get along well with the Wessexes as well.

Last edited:
I see that the rule in the UK is two households; does that mean that two households can celebrate Christmas together or can each household invite two other households (so 3 in total)?

My guess would be that the Wessex family will be the 'second household' for the queen and duke of Edinburgh.

N.B. Question was already answered two posts up. So, who might be the third household in the Queen's bubble?

I wouldn't be surprised if the PoW and DoC decide on forming a Christmas bubble with the Duchess' children's families. The Middletons will not be able to all meet together as that would be 4 households.

It's all such a strange time in forming the different "bubbles," because I'm sure Camilla's children as well as William and Kate may have others that they are in contact with too (ex: are William, Kate, and the kids meeting with the Middletons or Pippa and her family? Are Camilla's children meeting with her ex-husband or their in-laws?).

It's three households per Christmas Bubble and you can be in a different bubble to other people you normally live with as long as you stay with your Christmas Bubble from 23-27 December and/or take other precautions. So Charles and Camilla could spend Christmas with their own Children/families if they wanted to and then reunite.

It also might depend on people who are already in different support bubbles or households (ie The Middleton Parents and James/Alizee possibly). It's very complicated if you have a big family, a separated or blended family or lots of people with in Laws you usually see as well it gets more so.

It's a very long page of official "guidance" with a lot of other pages explaining certain bits.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-a-christmas-bubble-with-friends-and-family

I interpret the words ”in quiet in Windsor” as it will be only The Queen and The Duke and a few of their Staff who is isolating with them....

Having anyone who are in regular contact with small children, in close contact with a 94 and a 99 year old, should be totally out of the question at the moment.

In a way Windsor makes the most sense as it is closer to most people anyway - they could (not sure they would but could) go for a socially distanced walk with up to 4 people (4+HM and Philip making 6) and are close enough to the Yorks and The Wessexs to make this a possibility. Likewise Anne is closer if they are at Windsor than at Sandringham. I'm not saying they will see everyone but it seems odd to head off to Sandringham and all the moving that means to be further away from all your family.

I have always loved the idea of Christmas at Windsor anyway as it seems more "Christmasy" than Sandringham in some ways to me. And I do have to laugh at how some see Sandringham as all they've ever done for Christmas when in fact for 30 odd years they celebrated at Windsor.

In a way Windsor makes the most sense as it is closer to most people anyway - they could (not sure they would but could) go for a socially distanced walk with up to 4 people (4+HM and Philip making 6) and are close enough to the Yorks and The Wessexs to make this a possibility. Likewise Anne is closer if they are at Windsor than at Sandringham. I'm not saying they will see everyone but it seems odd to head off to Sandringham and all the moving that means to be further away from all your family.

I have always loved the idea of Christmas at Windsor anyway as it seems more "Christmasy" than Sandringham in some ways to me. And I do have to laugh at how some see Sandringham as all they've ever done for Christmas when in fact for 30 odd years they celebrated at Windsor.

I agree. When i imagine the Royal Family gathering for christmas, i alwayas get the Crimson Drawing Room at Windsor Castle in my head, rather than Sandringham House.... Newer fans who have followed only since’s Williams and Harrys weddings maybe don’t know that the royals always spent christmas at Windsor for a long time...

Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park is a bit too far away for a walk but Frogmore Cottage (Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank) is just at the other side of the garden... As Eugenie is pregnant and probably also lives in a bubble, perhaps they are planning to spend time together...

Though I've avidly followed Christmas morning at Sandringham for over 20 years I'm not surprised at the news that the queen and Duke will spend this Christmas at Windsor Castle.

Per Richard Palmer (but the info is all out there now, by everyone):

Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall will be at Highgrove for Christmas Day but expect to see the Queen and Philip at Windsor at some point. Camilla will also see her family over the festive period. Meetings may be socially distanced or outside to adhere to govt rules.

https://twitter.com/royalreporter/st...459305478?s=21

Even just a walk would be special -Charles is fortunate that his parents are so healthy at their age, and any time with them is precious. I think he will definitely be there, even for a little bit, ...not sure about anyone else

I think they may get a few visits of people driving over for a walk or two over the festive period.

I know that this might be off-target. Chris Ship has tweeted out two videos of the Royal Family at Christmas in Windsor, 1987, after church service. There is also a short clip on Youtube, where I think I saw the Gloucesters (Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester?) and Kents (Lord Frederick Windsor, Lady Gabriella Kingston, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent). The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Margaret, Diana, Princess of Wales, Duke of York, Sarah, Duchess of York, Princess Anne, Captain Mark Phillips, Prince William, Peter Phillips and Zara Tindall were there as well.

Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
Replying to @chrisshipitv
Want some idea how long it’s been since the Queen and Royal Family spent Christmas at Windsor Castle?
Well, rewind 33 years and take a look at Prince William in these @itvnews pictures from 1987 (he is the one in the powder blue coat by the way). Yup... that long!! [Eyes] #christmas
9:24 AM · Dec 2, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
Replying to @chrisshipitv
While not quite the same starkness of difference as William, here is The Queen and Prince Philip - and also The Queen Mother - at their last family Christmas at Windsor Castle [European castle]
10:24 AM · Dec 2, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

Last edited:
Christmas at Windsor makes sense during all of this.

Honestly I could see for Christmas bubbles (three households):

Queen and Philip with the Wessexes (and meeting other family outdoors)

The Yorks, Brooksbanks and Bea/Edo at Royal Lodge.

Anne and her children and their families at Gatcombe.

Cambridges visiting the Middletons. James/Alizee seemed to have formed a household with James' parents. Pippa and James would be the third.

Charles and Camilla at High Grove, and her children visiting.

This is wonderful, though unsurprising....

Charles has decided that with the traditional Sandringham celebrations canceled, he will celebrate Christmas with Camilla at their Gloucestershire home before travelling to Windsor for a second Christmas celebration with the Queen and Prince Philip, who are self-isolating at Windsor Castle.

Courtiers are relieved that the Queen and the Duke, who were preparing for a much quieter Christmas than usual will be able to see some family members, and Charles is expected to be one of the first to visit even if it will be a socially distanced visit.

Meanwhile the Duchess of Cornwall will head to her home Ray Mill in Wiltshire, where Camilla hosts a Christmas lunch for her children Tom and Laura and her grandchildren every year after the traditional Christmas Day feast at Sandringham. When Camilla heads to Ray Mill House Charles plans to travel to Windsor Castle to pay his parents a brief festive visit.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/12/prince-charles-the-queen-christmas

Is there a Parish Church near High Grove that's used by the Prince of Wales?

Tetbury Church in Tetbury Village. Due to covid restrictions however I am not sure that any royals will be seen attending a publicly accessible church service for fear of crowds gathering (and in the case of Charles and Camilla that won't necessarily be a positive crowd due to the negative impact of The Crown on the couple.

Thanks both St Mary The Virgin and St Saviour's Church are very close by,I hadn't realized that before.

Tetbury Church in Tetbury Village. Due to covid restrictions however I am not sure that any royals will be seen attending a publicly accessible church service for fear of crowds gathering (and in the case of Charles and Camilla that won't necessarily be a positive crowd due to the negative impact of The Crown on the couple.

The Crown will have no impact wahtsoever, IMO, on any public reaction that C&C may face, should they attend a service at a local Gloucestershire church for a Christmas service. Thankfully, life on the ground is still not akin to that on social media!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom