British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the royal family were ever stiff and cold people. From most accounts, including those from Sarah, Duchess of York, Her Majesty and Prince Philip are warm, loving people with a great sense of humor. All of their children seem to have a great sense of humor and are good conversationalists. They all seem to be very close to their children. I think most people would love to spend Christmas with the British Royal Family.

I agree with you in almost everything you write, but I don't think I would have called Philip warm and loving. He is very funny and he has always supported The Queen.

I agree with you in almost everything you write, but I don't think I would have called Philip warm and loving. He is very funny and he has always supported The Queen.

I think because when we see the royals, its mostly when they have their royal game faces on. Regal, supportive, solemn, staid and similar adjectives that would describe their royal roles. How they interact in private could be as different as seeing the guards of Buckingham Palace on duty (how many have tried to make them blink or twitch or whatnot) and off duty in a pub with his friends over a few beers?

I appreciate your kind words and you have a point: Philip is not known to be a warm, fuzzy. I think he loves his family a lot has a great sense of humor. He'd probably be a lot of fun to hang out with. He's certainly a lively conversationalist and wouldn't hold back on his opinions.

I wouldn't describe him as "cold and stiff" but Dman has clarified his comment--although I am not sure that it's fair to call King George and Queen Mary "cold and stiff." I think they were "proper and reserved." They lived in a different time.

If I were invited to spend Christmas with the royal family, I would accept.

Last edited:
The most festive and fashionable of the group...Princess Anne.

Christmas day Princess Anne wore a different red coat for each church services.
On Sunday, Princess Anne wore a green coat.

Too bad some people/media didn't pick it up because they were focused on the less festive members of the family. (Tim matched Anne on Christmas day with a red scarf.)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/25/24426DBB00000578-2886775-image-a-25_1419500771824.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/25/2442B6D700000578-2886775-image-a-43_1419531368615.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/28/244BECD400000578-2889075-image-a-94_1419776976753.jpg

Last edited:
The most festive and fashionable of the group...Princess Anne.

Christmas day Princess Anne wore a different red coat for each church services.
On Sunday, Princess Anne wore a green coat.

Too bad some people/media didn't pick it up because they were focused on the less festive members of the family. (Tim matched Anne on Christmas day with a red scarf.)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/25/24426DBB00000578-2886775-image-a-25_1419500771824.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/25/2442B6D700000578-2886775-image-a-43_1419531368615.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/28/244BECD400000578-2889075-image-a-94_1419776976753.jpg

She definitely looks warm! :flowers: I like the green coat best.

I agree that Anne seemed the more festive and jolly... Too bad indeed I didn't notice that before.... At least she wore bright colors!

It was nice to see that in his striped scarf Peter Phillips wore, there were red stripes.
The red matched his mother's coat and Timothy's red scarf. :lancasterrose:

It was nice to see that in his striped scarf Peter Phillips wore, there were red stripes.
The red matched his mother's coat and Timothy's red scarf. :lancasterrose:

And Eugenie's red hat (I think it was Eugenie). :flowers: That about sums up the splashes of color, though I do like the subdued browns and such. Always classy.

Is that a coat or a wrap or both!?! Regardless, she w/out a doubt looks warm and love that green on Anne. One of her best colours IMO.

Why is everyone saying Kate's coat was brown, as it looked plummy to me and my Mom. Oh well...

I also like how The Royal Family seems to keep Christmas Day for the Reason for the Season. We have our own tradition regarding that, but I'll post about that in a different thread. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Awesome family Christmas card. All the kids, grandkids, dogs. All it's missing is a horse in the back ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Nice picture of the family.

Skippyboo, agree where's the horse?

Next year I want one of the granddaughters on their ponies with Santa/Father Christmas. (The boots Princess Anne wore on the 28th of December look like Santa's boots.) Princess Anne would make a great Santa and Tim a very tall elf.:lol::lol::lol:

What I love about the card is that it is definitely holiday greetings from a family and not from "royalty". I like how it was signed Tim and Anne. :D

Lovely card! Hopefully we'll get a better picture of it, I'm sure the little girls are gorgeous!

Brrrrrrrrrrrr. Does anyone know if the church has any heat source? My little parish church in the West Midlands didn't, so you had to keep your outerwear and boots on throughout the entire service.

Anne looked great, as did HM.

How lovely that Anne and her family released a card featuring her children and grandchildren. I think the same as Ish - perhaps Anne has been reading the forums and agreed with us that it's time to release such a card. :D ;)

Savannah and Isla are adorable and little Mia has grown up so much. I love how they included their dogs as well - because let's not forget that dogs and other pets are part of the family too.

It would be wonderful if HM could release a card like this. I remember there was a photo of HM with Edward, Sophie and Lady Louise when she was a baby (the dress she wore during that photo was shown in the Royal Childhood exhibition at Buckingham Palace, as well as a silver rattle which was probably given to her as a christening gift), but I can't remember whether her other children and grandchildren were featured too or if it was just the four of them.

Great card!

I agree it is a lovely card, but it's going to be tough to compete with the Yorks' puppy card. Can picture Andrew and Anne getting competitive over the cutest card.

^^^ We use Happy in my family. 'Merry' always meant drinking alcohol and was avoided.

I think I read somewhere that the Queen always uses Happy (in Christmas cards and christmas speech) rather than Merry for that very reason.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr. Does anyone know if the church has any heat source? My little parish church in the West Midlands didn't, so you had to keep your outerwear and boots on throughout the entire service.

Anne looked great, as did HM.
KittyAtlanta-If you don't mind sharing are you originally from the UK or did you have the opportunity to live there at some point in your life?

When we traveled to Boston last summer we were shown how churches there originally had stalls where wealthier families could sit in an semi-enclosed space with their own small heaters. Ancient European churches are likely not very cozy.

Does anyone know when the family lunch party will be? I assume this week? I love that the Queen gets the extended family together like that.

It's has to be this week. Probably Tues or Wednesday would be my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Does anybody know when the Christmas lunch at BP is?

Not sure when it is this year, I don't think we ever really know when it is in advance. Last year it was Wed 17th Dec so I imagine one day this week maybe?

Edit - looking back at previous years it seems to be the Wed of this week each year, so I guess Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom