British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took matters into my own hands. Did several Twitter searches back to before dawn on the 25th for Sandringham. It does not appear anyone took photos of the family at the dawn Communion service (though many people were there and taking/posting pictures). I hope I am wrong. Or that the RF went elsewhere. Or that people there did not tag their photos. But it's odd.

I think it has been awhile since either the Queen's niece or nephew and their families have actually been at Sandringham for Christmas. I know we've seen them visit the Queen later during her Sandringham residency.

Looking through the videos from the last 8 Christmas morning walks, it appears that the Snowdon and Chatto families attend every other year, on the odd years.

They were there in 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2017, but not in 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016 or this year.

:previous: Hel...I have noticed that as well. I assume that the Chattos and Linley's are spending time with their in-laws...which is the norm for most families.

I think they alternate every other year so both sides of the family get to spend christmas with them (the rf and the in laws). Do Zara and Peter attend every year or alternate? I really can’t rememember atm and only can think of Zara missing it because of her misscarriage and being in australia. If they do I wonder if they co-ordinate so when the Chattos and Snowdons arent there Peter and Zara are.

It was nice to see that even Jack Brooksbank held a bouquet of flowers. I like Sophie's bright blue coat.

This article says that Harry, William and Charles did go shooting on Boxing Day and that Meghan, Kate, the Queen and Prince Philip joined them for lunch at Wood Farm. Meghan was in the Queen's Land Rover.

It's a Fail article but apparently they were spotted in land rovers etc making their way there so I think it should be accurate.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...including-Kate-Boxing-Day-shooting-feast.html

One thing I can't fault the Fail for is their photos. They're amazing and probably the source of the best photos to be had.

It seems like its a good time being had by all for these holidays. Christmas eatings at the Queen's "Big House" and a lunch today at Philip's Wood Farm. This is definitely an older couple that can easily say "your place or mine?" :lol:

Actually, Wood Farm appeals to me more than the "Big House" does. It looks far cozier.

Nice to see the photos from Christmas Day - Savannah and Isla look so sweet in their little coats. I hope Mia will be able to join them soon as it will be cute to see them together, and then eventually George and Charlotte will be with them too.
Looking at the photos of her from Christmas it's only just struck me how much Eugenie resembles Sarah. Jack seems nice; he seemed quite nervous during the walk up to Sandringham but that's understandable (since he wasn't use to being near cameras beforehand like Meghan had).
I guess the Snowdons and Chattos spent Christmas with their non-royal families this year. They attended last year so they probably rotated this Christmas.

Nice to see the photos from Christmas Day - Savannah and Isla look so sweet in their little coats. I hope Mia will be able to join them soon as it will be cute to see them together, and then eventually George and Charlotte will be with them too.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mia, George, and Charlotte all start attending the service at about the same time; Mia is about 6 months younger than George, and Charlotte a year and a bit younger than Mia.

When the time comes, I think Louis, Lena, and Baby Sussex will all start attending at the same time.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mia, George, and Charlotte all start attending the service at about the same time; Mia is about 6 months younger than George, and Charlotte a year and a bit younger than Mia.

When the time comes, I think Louis, Lena, and Baby Sussex will all start attending at the same time.

I agree. It makes sense since they're all of a similar age. IIRC last Christmas was the first time Savannah and Isla attended, so perhaps next Christmas we'll see George, Charlotte and Mia (or Christmas 2020 depending on how well the three can cope with church services, I remember that Viscount Severn started attending later because it was reported that he gets bored easily).

I agree. It makes sense since they're all of a similar age. IIRC last Christmas was the first time Savannah and Isla attended, so perhaps next Christmas we'll see George, Charlotte and Mia (or Christmas 2020 depending on how well the three can cope with church services, I remember that Viscount Severn started attending later because it was reported that he gets bored easily).

I would guess Christmas 2020 is more likely than next year if all three debut at the same time. Isla was 5 years & 8 months old, while Savannah was 7 years old last year when they made their Christmas service debut. I expect the Cambridges want to keep their children out of the spotlight as much as possible and George doesn't seem to be quite as comfortable with crowds and hordes of photographers as Charlotte. It's a far different animal to take two youngsters like Savannah & Isla who are, at best, of only slight media and public interest versus the Cambridge kids or Mia, who falls somewhere in the middle of the two extremes with respect to media interest.

I would guess Christmas 2020 is more likely than next year if all three debut at the same time. Isla was 5 years & 8 months old, while Savannah was 7 years old last year when they made their Christmas service debut. I expect the Cambridges want to keep their children out of the spotlight as much as possible and George doesn't seem to be quite as comfortable with crowds and hordes of photographers as Charlotte. It's a far different animal to take two youngsters like Savannah & Isla who are, at best, of only slight media and public interest versus the Cambridge kids or Mia, who falls somewhere in the middle of the two extremes with respect to media interest.

That's true. George, Charlotte and Louis aren't seen as much as other heirs in Europe and understandably the Cambridges probably wish to keep it that way until they're all old enough to decide whether they want to be public or private people (George will have less of a choice being the future king, but Charlotte and Louis and any other children they may possibly have in the near future will be able to be make a more flexible choice).

Mike Tindall give us a bit of an insight into Christmas with the family at Sandringham-

Love that the Queen Zara and Mike had a "mini Christmas" just the 3 of them while the others were at church the year of the miscarriage.

Love that the Queen Zara and Mike had a "mini Christmas" just the 3 of them while the others were at church the year of the miscarriage.

I do too. I also didn’t know the royal family have a cold buffet on Christmas Day because the staff is off on that day. It’s great that Zara buys Christmas gifts for everyone, forthe extended family at the Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace. She’s basically the Santa Claus of the family. Yes, the Christmas dinner is a black tie affair.

Last edited:
Did Mike Tindall say they have a cold buffet on Christmas day? Blimey on a freezing cold day they have to eat cold food! I only watched about up to where the stout arrived. It's funny he should say that because we watched yet another short documentary a few days ago about what the Royals eat for Christmas lunch. They interviewed an ex chef from Sandrigham who said they have Roast Turkey stuffed and with gravy, mashed potato, carrot, brussel sprouts and parsnips. All served Hot of course.
Then plum pudding for desert.
I honestly can't imagine tucking into cold cuts on a freezing cold day.

I would imagine that because the formal Christmas dinner is on Christmas Eve, there are quite a few leftovers to be had. I think its pretty nice that the family takes into consideration that their staff want to be home with family too and go with a cold buffet on Christmas day.

When we think of royalty, we don't usually think of them as fending for themselves and eating like everybody else does but the Windsors are great for this kind of thing when they're on their own private time. Even with the BBQs that Philip has, its the Queen herself that will do the dishes and clean up.

Did Mike Tindall say they have a cold buffet on Christmas day? Blimey on a freezing cold day they have to eat cold food! I only watched about up to where the stout arrived. It's funny he should say that because we watched yet another short documentary a few days ago about what the Royals eat for Christmas lunch. They interviewed an ex chef from Sandrigham who said they have Roast Turkey stuffed and with gravy, mashed potato, carrot, brussel sprouts and parsnips. All served Hot of course.

That chef hasn't worked for the Royal Family in over 20 years. Times change. I imagine there is soup. And heating.

I hear what you are saying. But this chef showed that he would roast the Turkey and cook the vege etc and have everything for when they return from church. He showed in the doco how he prepared all the dishes.
He said he would roast quite a few turkeys for all the staff as well. The family would sit down for lunch at 1.15pm.

Sorry Cepe we were writing at the same time. I would hope things have changed in 20 yrs. His menu was very boring.

Last edited by a moderator:

They do have all that and some on Christmas Eve. I’m sure they have a pretty nice spread in the buffet on Christmas Day. It’s just the main festivities takes place on Christmas Eve.

Mike said that they have a buffet as the Queen likes as few staff to have to work Christmas Day as possible. I guess theres a possibility either the lunch straight from church or the dinner later that day could be something cooked and Mike was talking about the other. I'm much more inclined to believe Mike over a chef who hasn't worked for the RF for 20+ years.
Go Zara buying so many presents for everyone including the extended family! Love that Mike for a Christmas suit and that he said "well HM loves bright colours" certainly shows a more relaxed side of the royal family at Christmas than we might think.

That's true. George, Charlotte and Louis aren't seen as much as other heirs in Europe and understandably the Cambridges probably wish to keep it that way until they're all old enough to decide whether they want to be public or private people (George will have less of a choice being the future king, but Charlotte and Louis and any other children they may possibly have in the near future will be able to be make a more flexible choice).

I am pretty sure they will get extensive media coverage when they grow up and Charles or William are kings.

I do too. I also didn’t know the royal family have a cold buffet on Christmas Day because the staff is off on that day. It’s great that Zara buys Christmas gifts for everyone, forthe extended family at the Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace. She’s basically the Santa Claus of the family. Yes, the Christmas dinner is a black tie affair.

Don't the other family members buy gifts for everyone too? It would be odd if Zara were the only one in the family to do it, which I doubt.

It's pretty normal in the UK to eat cold cut leftovers Boxing Day forwards even if they weather is cold so they certainly aren't the only ones.

Don't the other family members buy gifts for everyone too? It would be odd if Zara were the only one in the family to do it, which I doubt.

Yeah, I’m just saying it’s nice that Zara buys gift even for the extended family. I’m just used to folks buying gifts for their immediate loved ones. Not for every single person in the extended family. You gotta have some mulla to be able to do that.

Yeah, I’m just saying it’s nice that Zara buys gift even for the extended family. I’m just used to folks buying gifts for their immediate loved ones. Not for every single person in the extended family. You gotta have some mulla to be able to do that.

The biggest thing this all tells me is that Zara is a person that feels joy in giving. It doesn't mean that she spends a gazillion green dollars on gifts for the extended family though. She could buy something little like a scented candle for the ladies and small snowmen tie tacks for the men. Its the thought that counts. :D

I think its those times such as the Queen, Zara and Mike had with HM due to HM being under the weather and Mike and Zara recently suffering a loss that creates those special one-on-one times. Its those kind of times that we tend to carry with us for the rest of our lives.

George, Charlotte and Louis are not heirs. They are respectively 3rd, 4th and 5th in line to the throne. I am pretty sure they will get extensive media coverage when they grow up and Charles or William are kings.

They are all heirs to the throne even if they are 1st or 51st. That's what being in the line means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom