The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #801  
Old 12-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcsc View Post
I'm curious as to what age Royal children are allowed at the 'adult' activities... Is it based strictly on age, or the child's maturity level? Eg. are they allowed at the Christmas dinner table, or are children up to age x fed separately?
In regards to eating food, we don't know and we'll never know. That's a detail kept private.

In regards to events, christmas church services, balcony appearances etc it depends upon the parents and closeness to the throne IMO. We haven't seen Savannah, Isla or James attend the christmas church services (unless I am mistaken) but we have seen Margarita Armstrong Jones, the chatto family and Lady Louise Windosr.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #802  
Old 12-28-2013, 05:57 PM
MichelleQ2's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
In regards to eating food, we don't know and we'll never know. That's a detail kept private. In regards to events, christmas church services, balcony appearances etc it depends upon the parents and closeness to the throne IMO. We haven't seen Savannah, Isla or James attend the christmas church services (unless I am mistaken) but we have seen Margarita Armstrong Jones, the chatto family and Lady Louise Windosr.
Do you know when Louise began attending? I think this is definitely something unique to each child, but generally seems to be around the 5yr old mark. In looking at old photos, zara's 1st appearance was 1985( almost 5) william in 1986 (4 1/2 clutching his mothers hand and Harry 1989

edit - i just saw above Louise was 8 when she first attended. I think that is a more appropriate age. We will see if that is allowed for George and his siblings.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #803  
Old 12-28-2013, 06:09 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
Do you know when Louise began attending? I think this is definitely something unique to each child, but generally seems to be around the 5yr old mark. In looking at old photos, zara's 1st appearance was 1985( almost 5) william in 1986 (4 1/2 clutching his mothers hand and Harry 1989

edit - i just saw above Louise was 8 when she first attended. I think that is a more appropriate age. We will see if that is allowed for George and his siblings.
This is post#797 from Iluvbertie:
START
Louise didn't attend until 2011 - aged 8 so I wouldn't expect to see James for another 2 years.

Edward and Sophie are determined to keep their children out of the public eye as much as possible and probably also believe that 8 is a better age to be attending these sorts of events.
END
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #804  
Old 12-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 8,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is post#797 from Iluvbertie:
START
Louise didn't attend until 2011 - aged 8 so I wouldn't expect to see James for another 2 years.

Edward and Sophie are determined to keep their children out of the public eye as much as possible and probably also believe that 8 is a better age to be attending these sorts of events.
END
I don't know how it works in the CoE but in the RC church, children would reach the age of reason at 7 and it was around then they made their First Communion. Perhaps its similar in the CoE?

Other than that, I would think it would depend on the child and his demeanor. Can he/she sit still and quiet during a service? To me it doesn't make sense to bring a child to church if he/she has absolutely no clue what is going on.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #805  
Old 12-28-2013, 06:23 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,731
Maybe its not the church service but the all the people, photographers and noise. Louise seems a calm child and still they waited until she was 8.

He does go to events such as Horse of the Year show and County Fairs and the like so it's not as if he's never allowed out.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #806  
Old 12-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,291
It is likely related to James' personality and his ability to sit still. He may be a lively 6 year old, thus his parents don't feel he would behave well enough to sit quietly during the service. He has been seen a lot more over the past 1-2 years, so I am sure when he turns 7 or 8 we will see him walk to church with his sister. He only attended Trooping the Colour this year, and even then he wasn't in the carriage - only the balcony. As Cepe said, Edward and Sophie appear to want their children to be shielded from the public eye and that is their wish. It is a bit of a shame as James appears to be an adorable little boy!
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
Reply With Quote
  #807  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't know how it works in the CoE but in the RC church, children would reach the age of reason at 7 and it was around then they made their First Communion. Perhaps its similar in the CoE?

Other than that, I would think it would depend on the child and his demeanor. Can he/she sit still and quiet during a service? To me it doesn't make sense to bring a child to church if he/she has absolutely no clue what is going on.
In the CoE Confirmation is usually around 14 - 15 with First Communion shortly after that although some individual churches or jurisdictions do allow an unconfirmed person to take communion.

For example - my school, which is CoE, runs Confirmation classes as part of the Christian Studies course for Year 8 students (ages 13 - 14) with Confirmation late in the year, when most are 14 although many wait another year or so after the classes to actually make the public commitment. First Communion is then taken the following Sunday morning after the Confirmation Service. The school I went to as a child did something similar - but as a boarding school we would have Confirmation on the Saturday night and then First Communion on the Sunday morning before going out for the day with our parents to celebrate the occasion.

Prince William, for instance, was confirmed in 1997. They had a private service for him at St Georges while Harry was confirmed with his Eton classmates in 2000. William was about 15 and Harry nearer 16 when confirmed.
Reply With Quote
  #808  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:09 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,817
Re: St. Mary Magdalene Church

Has anyone ever visited? How large is it - how big a congregation can it hold?

Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene, Sandringham | Sandringham Estate
__________________
The Force is my tiara.
Reply With Quote
  #809  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Re: St. Mary Magdalene Church

Has anyone ever visited? How large is it - how big a congregation can it hold?

Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene, Sandringham | Sandringham Estate
Yes I have visited it - as can anyone who visits the estate when the big house is open to the public.

I would say it is a normal sized country parish church, comparable to others I have visited, or attended services in, in rural England.
Reply With Quote
  #810  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:18 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Yes I have visited it - as can anyone who visits the estate when the big house is open to the public.

I would say it is a normal sized country parish church, comparable to others I have visited, or attended services in, in rural England.
So it seats 100 or less? Sorry to be stupid, but I forgot to look inside rural English churches.
__________________
The Force is my tiara.
Reply With Quote
  #811  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,746
About 100 - 150 I would say - maybe 200.

Rural villages have quite large churches, even for small communities because the size of the church was a reflection of the attitude of the people towards God and the buildings were, and even later ones than the medieval ones, were built more to the glory of God than to the necessity of the local community per se.
Reply With Quote
  #812  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:25 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,731
If you imagine a standard oblong church with altar, then the main body of the church with aisle and pews either side - this will hold about 100. Quite a number of churches extended the main body of the church at the sides and this could add another 50-70 places.

In some of the large parishes churches which can be found in Norfolk and the Fen country, they had choir stalls/balcony above the nave of the church - for said choir or servants. Additional capacity of maybe 30. St Mary Magdelene's doesnt have this
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #813  
Old 12-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 6,061
Home - ITNSource News
silly question: why did HM called Kate to take flowers? I didn't see the little girls saying they were for Kate
Reply With Quote
  #815  
Old 12-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,291
Sophie's hat is awesome. Lovely to see Louise again. :)
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
Reply With Quote
  #816  
Old 12-29-2013, 09:19 AM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Greater London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,062
I didn't realize that The Royal Family were still at Sandringham - I thought they only stayed there until Boxing Day, but that was probably just my assumption. Do we know if they're staying there until New Year's Eve/Day or not?

Those were nice photos, thanks for posting dbarn67. I recognize Louise's coat, I think she last wore it at the Christmas Ascot last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Home - ITNSource News
silly question: why did HM called Kate to take flowers? I didn't see the little girls saying they were for Kate
This could be the wrong answer, but Catherine probably had her own flowers to collect; in the video HM is collecting her own flowers. (By the way, thanks for posting the video, it's nice to see that Catherine let Margarita and Louise [who were her bridesmaids in 2011] help her with the flowers.)
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #817  
Old 12-29-2013, 09:24 AM
sthreats's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: midwest, United States
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
In the CoE Confirmation is usually around 14 - 15 with First Communion shortly after that although some individual churches or jurisdictions do allow an unconfirmed person to take communion.

For example - my school, which is CoE, runs Confirmation classes as part of the Christian Studies course for Year 8 students (ages 13 - 14) with Confirmation late in the year, when most are 14 although many wait another year or so after the classes to actually make the public commitment. First Communion is then taken the following Sunday morning after the Confirmation Service. The school I went to as a child did something similar - but as a boarding school we would have Confirmation on the Saturday night and then First Communion on the Sunday morning before going out for the day with our parents to celebrate the occasion.

Prince William, for instance, was confirmed in 1997. They had a private service for him at St Georges while Harry was confirmed with his Eton classmates in 2000. William was about 15 and Harry nearer 16 when confirmed.
That is interesting. In our church (catholic) First Confession is 2nd grade--about age 7 and first Communion is either later that year or the following year ( age 8-9). Confirmation is about the same age at COE (13-14).
We have always brought the kids to church but some services we spent more time outside than in. It was nice when we had a children's liturgy.

I think bringing your child to services depends on the child and on the service (like we never brought them to midnight Mass)
Reply With Quote
  #818  
Old 12-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,637
The Royal Family at Sandringham - Christmas Day 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=m_RGZppFd9E

Very nice pictures of the royals at church today. I'm wondering if Louise should be wearing some warmer footwear?
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #819  
Old 12-29-2013, 11:14 AM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,731
Hereditary Princess The Queen and Prince Philip are at Sandringham until 6th February.Visitors come and go but I expect the Princess Royal to be at Gatcombe early in the new year as Zara is due to give birth.

Dman

She's wearing thick tights - maybe that's enough.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #820  
Old 12-29-2013, 11:23 AM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Greater London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Hereditary Princess The Queen and Prince Philip are at Sandringham until 6th February.Visitors come and go but I expect the Princess Royal to be at Gatcombe early in the new year as Zara is due to give birth.
Thank you cepe. I didn't know they stayed there for that long.
I agree with you regarding Anne and her family.
__________________

__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
christmas


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Swedish Royal Christmas (Traditions, Christmas Cards, Photo Sessions) Josefine Royal House of Sweden 177 01-01-2017 02:55 AM
Danish Royal Family Christmas: 2003, 2004, 2006-2014, 2016 Alexandria Royal House of Denmark 569 12-31-2016 02:28 AM
British Pathé- British Royal Weddings An Ard Ri Royal Weddings 15 03-18-2015 03:14 PM
British Royal Christmas 2004-2007 Alexandria British Royals 489 12-29-2007 08:26 AM




Popular Tags
albania ascot 2016 beatrice borromeo best gown september 2016 best outfit best outfit october 2016 best outfit september birthday carl gustaf carl philip coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria denmark duchess of cambridge duke of cambridge dutch e-mail fashion poll jewels killing king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king willem-alexander margherita member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week pierre casiraghi power prince charles princess diana lady spencer princess marie style princess mary princess mary fashion princess sofia princess sofias hats princess sofia style princess victoria celebrates her 39th birthday queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia suits queen margrethe queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen maxima queen rania queen rania fashion queen rania in the un queen silvia romania september 2016 state visit succession sweden the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara united kingdom


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises