British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Middleton's must have slipped in and out of church without much notice because we only got two pictures of them attending.

From daily fail mail. I'm not sure if we can trust what they write.

The Mail has learnt that the Middletons were personally invited by the Queen to join the congregation at Sandringham yesterday, although they tactfully chose to drive themselves directly from Anmer and arrived shortly before the royal party at the main entrance.

From daily fail mail. I'm not sure if we can trust what they write.

They arrived and left very discreetly because I didn't see them in the video. We know they were there though because we have the pictures of them entering the church but we didn't see them afterwards.

They arrived and left very discreetly because I didn't see them in the video. We know they were there though because we have the pictures of them entering the church but we didn't see them afterwards.

I know they were there. I meant we cannot always believe in the Daily Mail source.

I know they were there. I meant we cannot always believe in the Daily Mail source.

Personally, I think the Queen goes out of her way to make sure that everyone around for the holiday celebrations feel at home and at ease. Perhaps the Middletons weren't sure of whether it would be appropriate for them to attend service at the same time as the royal family and the Queen eased their minds and let them know they were more than welcome to attend.

From what the DM insinuates though is that the Middletons were invited to attend the service with the royal family which I think was truth but they were not invited to go to the service with the royal family. Kudos to the Middletons for being discreet and not giving the DM fire fodder how they're worming their way into the royal family and any other fallacy that the reporters over there could dream up.

This year's Cambridge sharing seems ideal. Christmas Eve with the royals and Christmas Day -everybody goes to church and William and Kate go back to Amner and eat with the Middletons. I wouldn't be surprised if Grandpa Charles and Uncle Harry went to Amner in the early morning to watch Cheeks open his presents from Santa.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

We must remember that family traditions constantly evolve as new members are added and people grow up.

There are three adult generations now in the BRF and the traditions from 20-30 years ago are no longer workable. The Queen has her family, Charles has his family and now William is starting a family of his own.

Up until I got married, I spent every Christmas with my parents but obviously things changed. Some years we went to her parents, some years we stayed home and other years we went back to my parents.

There must have been a lot more elbow room around the dinner table this year, with 13 fewer people there than last year!

Last edited:
They used to do Christmas at Windsor with the Kents and Gloucesters along with the Queen and Margaret's family. 1988 it appears is when they switched to Sandringham.

Message without equal - Telegraph

Neither Christmas’s EastEnders nor Strictly came anywhere near the viewing figures for the Queen. A hint at the reason came when she said that only one response was possible upon walking through the field of poppies at the Tower of London: “Silence.” The Queen’s words were quite unlike any politician’s. Two close relations of silence – simplicity and sincerity – were evident, too. This 88-year-old woman in a mauve ribbed dress, with a good pearl necklace, sat upright on a chair and spoke of “Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace, an inspiration and anchor in my life” from whom she had learnt about reconciliation, and respect for people of all faiths. Who else could speak in such a way without sounding unconvincing or too pious? The Queen did not seek her role, nor did we choose her. Each year we may count again our long good fortune.

Norfolk turkey, a 20ft spruce and a morning trip to church: Inside the royal family's VERY traditional Christmas | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Love to see the family all hanging back as HM walks slowly to the gate whilst in conversation with the 'Vicar'? I loved the shot of William and Harry both standing with their hands in their pockets while Catherine was sporting warm gloves.

But, what really touched me most was that Harry took his hands out of his pocket and bowed to his Grandmother, The Queen, as her car pulled away from the gate. Nice one Harry.

Having watched the Queens Christmas Message this year, I can only say that to me, it was her very best in years.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Grandpa Charles and Uncle Harry went to Amner in the early morning to watch Cheeks open his presents from Santa.

I thought the same thing... Charles and Harry being at Anmer in the morning for George's first look at a Christmas morning.

Has anyone seen Camilla at all - did she make it to Norfolk? - or just go direct to her family. I know Charles and Camilla traditionally leave Sandringham on boxing day to spend with her kids and grand kids.

It wouldn't surprise me if she chose to stay at her own home, if she has a bad back travelling 3.5hours to Sandringham for two days probably wouldn't help it.

A reporter on Twitter said Camilla stayed at home and didn't go to Norfolk

I think it is lovely the Queen included them. I cannot credit those who talk about The Duchess's family getting ahead of themselves. It cannot be easy having reporters follow you around...especially Pippa. They always look gracious, they always smile, they do not put a foot wrong. Leave them to enjoy Christmas. Traditions evolve over time. I think the biggest snobs are NOT the royal family...but posters on here and people who comment rudely as they did in the Daily Mail article.

I thought the same thing... Charles and Harry being at Anmer in the morning for George's first look at a Christmas morning.

Has anyone seen Camilla at all - did she make it to Norfolk? - or just go direct to her family. I know Charles and Camilla traditionally leave Sandringham on boxing day to spend with her kids and grand kids.

I don't think Charles would be anywhere near George on Christmas morning. There have been many reports for many years - going back into the 1980s that have said that he isn't a fan of noisy and small children.
The royals also open their gifts on Christmas Eve (the Queen believes that the Day itself should be for the religious side of the holidays and I can see Charles having the same religious outlook.)

Camilla normally leaves after The Queen's Message on Christmas Day to go to Raymill House and spend Christmas evening with her own family. I suspect that that is where she has been all the time with her own family and not with the royals - more relaxing for her.

Charles stays at Sandringham until Boxing Day when he leaves and goes straight to Scotland.

Camilla usually joins him there for New Year a few days later. Charles doesn't go to Raymill with Camilla.

Last edited:
I don't think Charles would be anywhere near George on Christmas morning. There have been many reports for many years - going back into the 1980s that have said that he isn't a fan of noisy and small children.
The royals also open their gifts on Christmas Eve (the Queen believes that the Day itself should be for the religious side of the holidays and I can see Charles having the same religious outlook.)

Camilla normally leaves after The Queen's Message on Christmas Day to go to Raymill House and spend Christmas evening with her own family. I suspect that that is where she has been all the time with her own family and not with the royals - more relaxing for her.

Charles stays at Sandringham until Boxing Day when he leaves and goes straight to Scotland.

Camilla usually joins him there for New Year a few days later. Charles doesn't go to Raymill with Camilla.

George isn't just any "small and noisy" child, that's Charles's grandson. Most likely he has seen him for Christmas.

He is reported to not enjoy having Camilla's grandchildren at Highgrove and they are his wife's grandchildren so why assume that he would like being around George who sounds like an awful child (my basis for that comment is that William and Kate are always making comments about how noisy he is and how loud etc - never once has their been a comment about him being 'good' or 'quiet'). Not all grandparents like being around their noisy grandchildren - they can love them but prefer them in very small doses until they are older and Charles comes across as a man like that - he will wait until George if 4 - 5 before really connecting with him. I also don't think Charles would travel to Anmer Hall given the tight scheduling at Sandringham House on Christmas Day with breakfast (any present giving has to be done before breakfast), then church, then back to the house and change clothes and then back to church and then back to the house for lunch. Harry might be up in time to go across but I don't see Charles bothering - he might have gone across for about half an hour after the Queen's message but other than that I don't think he would have the time in the schedule and I doubt that William and Kate would like him there with her parents as he adds a level of formality that they don't seem to want.

I just saw the video link in the Mail Online article has broken so I went looking for another source and came upon the perfect clip.

There is obviously something wrong as it is in total slow motion, but. that actually works better. At about 3:18 Harry moves behind Catherine and speaks briefly to William, he then moves back behind Catherine to the front at which point Catherine looks a little uncomfortable and turns and steps closer to William.

At around 4:00, you see Harry looking deep in thought, head slightly down and with pinched lips. Then, like he has made a decision, he pulls his hands out of his pockets, flattens the flaps, pulls his shoulders back and executes a perfect bow as his grandmother's car pulls away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq2G-Czvtrg

I think it is lovely the Queen included them. I cannot credit those who talk about The Duchess's family getting ahead of themselves. It cannot be easy having reporters follow you around...especially Pippa. They always look gracious, they always smile, they do not put a foot wrong. Leave them to enjoy Christmas. Traditions evolve over time. I think the biggest snobs are NOT the royal family...but posters on here and people who comment rudely as they did in the Daily Mail article.

That's how I see it too. Should the Middletons not go where they are invited?

It seems as if some wouldn't be happy unless the Middletons were to disappear entirely!

Of course the Middleton's should be in Norfolk, at the end of the day like many families they probably use to spend Christmas altogether. Why should they change that just because Kate has married into the Royal Family?
The Queen has given William Amner so of course the Middletons have been invited to stay, wouldn't you invite your family if you had a house big enough to accommodate them all?
I think the Queen has recognized that the old idea of marrying a royal means almost abandoning your own family no long works, it wouldn't surprise me if Christmas and how often William and Kate would come to Sandringham, was part of the reason she gifted them Amner. William had shown in the past he would happily go with Kate's family (in turn visiting both sides of the family for Christmas like most families do).

In regards to them attending the Church, why shouldn't they if the Queen invited them? They could of attended the church next to Anmer but why attend a separate church from your own daughter and in-laws?

I'm sure some people will see the way they have been included as unfair given the fact that others who married into the family have had to leave their families for Christmas in the past but then again people always say the Royals never change, well now they are.

I jus think it is wrong.... After all the critics, I had appreciated their dicretion but god, it seems as if they are everywhere...

I jus think it is wrong.... After all the critics, I had appreciated their dicretion but god, it seems as if they are everywhere...

They attend family events, because they are family. It's not like they're in the balcony during Trooping the Colour or attending the State Opening of the Parliament.

The Daily Fail and they readers may think so, but Catherine has not ceased to be their daughter and sister when she became Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge.

I don't know what the fact of being closed to your family has to do with your parents being everywhere to be honest...

Carole and Mike Middleton are the parents of a royal duchess and the grandparents of the third in line to the throne.
They will always be included at family events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom