British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't get photos from a totally private event. The only photos are those of people entering and leaving but none from inside. They are entitled to some private times and this is one of the few occasions when the entire extended family gets together and like the rest of us enjoys each other's company for a few hours and then probably breathes a sigh of relief that they don't have to do it again until next year.

This is one thing I see Charles doing away with as he wants to cut down the number of royals so having a family of 60 or so want fit in with his concept of the family.
It is natural that Prince Charles would limit his family to his own brothers and sister with their families. The Kent clan has an air of refined aristocraticism, which is hard to find in these times of, shall we say, a royal bloodline downgrading.

ah okay thanks, warren.:flowers::flowers: i guess i confused "sophies":whistling:

The Queen led the fur hat brigade at Sandringham today as members of the Royal Family attended the traditional Christmas Day church service.
Looking seasonal in her big furry caramel-coloured hat and checked coat, she arrived by car to for the annual service at St Mary Magdalene Church on the royal estate in Norfolk.
She was accompanied by Sophie Countess of Wessex - who wore a purple hat - who waved at the hundreds of people that had turned out to catch a glimpse of the family.

Read more: Fur Majesty leads the big hat brigade as the Royal Family attend Sandringham service | Mail Online

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-Royal-Family-attend-Sandringham-service.html

Looks like Christmas is a little light on the royal family this year.

No Princess Royal or her children. I would assume that the Princess Royal is at home with Peter and Autumn. According to the Mail, Zara and Mike are also at home.

And no Linley's or Chatto's - they appear to do every other year so perhaps they are spending the holidays with the inlaws.

But the Queen looks great...the hat is growing on me.

Last edited:
Light on royals but still a wonderful event.

I enjoyed the photos and the video a lot! They all looked great.
P Charles seems to be a good uncle - I just caught him speaking in a whisper to Eugenie.;) lol

The Queen and Camilla looked wonderful and their outfits were great. Beatrice and Shopie should sue their hat maker. They look ridiculous.

Looks like Christmas is a little light on the royal family this year.

No Princess Royal or her children. I would assume that the Princess Royal is at home with Peter and Autumn. According to the Mail, Zara and Mike are also at home.

And no Linley's or Chatto's - they appear to do every other year so perhaps they are spending the holidays with the inlaws.

But the Queen looks great...the hat is growing on me.

She certainly looks like she'll be around another couple of decades, like her mother!

Last edited:
The Queen and Camilla looked wonderful and their outfits were great. Beatrice and Shopie should sue their hat maker. They look ridiculous.

I think Beatrice's hat was the best of the lot.

I am really disappointed taht in this day and age the Queen and the wife of the heir to the throne would wear fur - further evidence of being out of touch with the views of the people which is against cruelty to animals.

Is it just me or does the Sophie of wessex and the Queen really good friends

I think the Queen and The Duchess of Cornwall look stunning...so regal. I LOVE the fur hats and the touches of fur around HM's coat. I often wear my grandmother's mink coat I inherited, brings back so many memories of her. The way her scarf is pinned is so elegant draped like that.

I liked Sophie's outfit too...and the York Princesses...well, to be young and eclectic in taste, I suppose.

Well there is no guarantee that they are wearing real fur as these days there are some exceptionally high quality faux-fur makers out there...that said, since the fmaily is rather fond of various forms of hunting, it's probably real fur. ;)

Not keen on real fur, or even faux-fur for that matter, but it suits the Queen & Camilla, looks pretty good on them. I would look ridiculous if I tried a hat like that!

I actually like Beatrice's hat a lot, and I am generally not a fan of hats that sit on the front/ side of the head.

Queen and Duchess of York accused of 'ostentatious cruelty' over their fur hats | Mail Online

Andrew Tyler, director of Animal Aid, said: ‘This strikes me as an ostentatious display of cruelty. To parade fur in 2010 says something unpleasant about the person ­wearing it.’

This sums up perfectly my feelings on this issue. Both ladies have shown a total lack of respect for the modern view on this issue and the growing call for animal rights.

Before some of you come on with the arguement that the fur was recycled:

The ethical question of ‘recycling’ vintage fur has split opinion, but Mr Tyler said: ‘It doesn’t matter when the animal was killed, it’s a body part and a product of cruelty.’
In 2000 Prince Edward’s wife Sophie apologised after she was seen wearing a fox fur hat. The Countess of Wessex said her decision to wear the hat on a skiing holiday in St Moritz, Switzerland, was ‘an error of judgment’.

But obviously the lessons from 10 years ago haven't been learnt. If it was 'an error of judgement' 10 years ago then it is even more so now.

Last edited:
I was just waiting for someone to say something about those hats. Yet another sign of the hyper sensitive times we live in sadly.

I see nothing wrong w/it, but then again, my parents hunt and the majority of our meat comes from their hunting. My Dad also trapped up to a few years ago when his health started to go down hill. Everything he trapped, were nuisance animals, such as beavers damming up near people's homes and causing floods or going after wolves who were pestering the cow herds or sheep herds. How are we to know that's not how HM or Camilla's fur came? It very well could have you know?

I am against real cruelty to animals, but it's gone so far over to the other side of things and I'm sick of having to defend my parents, family and family friends just because they hunt and/or trap.

End of rant. Now on to the topic at hand.

I actually thought the Queen looked the most stylish she's looked in a long time and it was my favourite outfit out of all the pictures I've seen from yesterday. She really looked amazing and it suited her wonderfuly as well.

I also thought that Eugenie looked the best I've ever seen her in...Well...I don't know when actually. The hat really suited her and so did the coat. She truly looked both elegant and stylish yesterday and it's about time too!!

As for the low number of Royals, well considering that William was on duty (and good for him doing that so his fellow officers w/Families could enjoy the Holiday w/them instead) and Princess Anne and Family aren't able to go to Norfolk due to the imminent arrival of the newest member of the Royal Family and we really shouldn't be that surprised. Christmas 2011 will more than make up for it w/it being Catherine's first Christmas as a Royal and Anne and Family being there as well.

Sorry for the rambling, but my Parents and I just spent the better part of the evening wrestling w/my new Recumbent Stationary Bike while putting it together. Still can't get the tension to work on the blasted thing, but I'm too tired to do anything about it now.

I think Beatrice's hat was the best of the lot.

I am really disappointed taht in this day and age the Queen and the wife of the heir to the throne would wear fur - further evidence of being out of touch with the views of the people which is against cruelty to animals.

I see your point, Iluvbertie! I'm pretty sure both wore real fur, but that's actually what I expect from people who love all sorts of hunting. :ermm: No harm meant!

There is nothing wrong with them wearing fur. They looked good and kept warm. You can't please everyone., no matter what you do.

COUNTESS said:
There is nothing wrong with them wearing fur. They looked good and kept warm. You can't please everyone., no matter what you do.

I agree. I think both HM and The Duchess looked beautiful in fur!

:flowers: Her Majesty's fur hat and cuffs were absolutely beautiful! :flowers: Very regal indeed.

Tricky subject, and complex.

I will not buy soaps or cosmetics which contain animal products or which have been tested on animals, because I consider it morally reprehensible to exploit animals for fashion and beauty, but I wear cow-hide leather shoes and handbags because I can justify that. It is a byproduct of the meat industy and I think that if you are going to kill an animal for food, which I find acceptable, you should use as much of its carcass as possible and not waste it. So I am content to exploit animals for some purposes, but not others, so some animal welfare advocates would label me as a hypocrite.

I own a rabbit fur coat I bought when I was about 20, but, at the time, rationalised that purchase on the basis rabbits are an environmental pest here and every last one of them should be killed. Should their carcasses be used rather than just buried? Not sure now; perhaps they should be treated with respect and just buried. Would I wear that coat now? No. Would I have ever worn a coat made from a wild animal such as a cheetah that was hunted for its pelt? Never, not in my wildest dreams, because I consider that killing those beautiful, endangered, wild animals is a criminal act. What about farmed mink or similar animals. No, because that's still exploiting animals for fashion, and that's an unacceptable purpose, IMO.

Was there something else that HM and the DoC have worn that would have kept them just as warm? Yes. Were they warm and snug in their soft, fur hats? No doubt. Did they wear fur just because they wanted to wear fur? I think they probably did...........and there's the rub. They didn't have to and they shouldn't have worn fur. They are people who kill animals for sport and they probably don't think there's anything wrong with wearing fur, and don't mind letting the world know what they think on the point. However lots of HM's subjects do, and by wearing fur the Royal ladies were metaphorically thumbing their noses at those subjects who are opposed to the killing animals for sport and to satisfy the whims and vanity of human females. To this extent, it's a rare example of HM making a political statement.

IMO, very poor form, ladies. :mad:

*steps off soapbox*

I must be honest I don't think they should have worn fur as I find it cruel to kill animals for their skins.

However this view is probably partly because when I was in the UK and now in Australia I have never lived anywhere except the city and therefore I have a different viewpoint to the hunting of animals to someone who has lived in the country who sees animals as pests or someone who comes from a country where hunting is still popular.

Hunting and wearing fur has become significantly less popular with people during the last decade in the UK and although HM and DOC were probably very warm in the fur they should probably have been more sensitive to the opinions of a large number of their subjects.

There is so much positivity around the Royal Family at the moment due to William and Kate's wedding that it is unfortunate to make a silly mistake like wear fur which generates negative headlines.

Well there is no guarantee that they are wearing real fur as these days there are some exceptionally high quality faux-fur makers out there...that said, since the fmaily is rather fond of various forms of hunting, it's probably real fur. ;)

Not keen on real fur, or even faux-fur for that matter, but it suits the Queen & Camilla, looks pretty good on them. I would look ridiculous if I tried a hat like that!

That's real fur. And, to be that perfect, it has to be farmed fur. It's sad to me.

Originally Posted by Lillibetforever
:flowers: Her Majesty's fur hat and cuffs were absolutely beautiful! :flowers: Very regal indeed.

I wear leather as it comes from a food animal. Show me a mink, fox, wolf or other farmed fur animal steak in a restaurant and I'll wear fur.

I'm off my soapbox now, as well.

Last edited:
sophie

Does anyone know why Sophie always rides in the car with the queen and the rest of the family walks to the church on Christmas?

Because the Queen asks her to accompany her for the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom