The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-24-2015, 03:09 AM
Royal Highness

Clarence House front door Christmas wreath.

Last year it had oranges & apples. This year only apples.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVyn69_WsAALLDs.jpg

Old 12-24-2015, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry have a Christmas kickabout in football match at Sandringham - Telegraph

Old 12-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Courtier

According to Katie Nicholl, James Middleton was supposed to join them. It doesn't seem like he or the other Middletons are there.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Serene Highness

There have been conflicting reports about whether the Middletons are going to be at Anmer/ Sandringham this Christmas. Some saying the Cambridge's are doing the same as last year - Christmas Eve and Christmas Church with royals and then christmas lunch with the Middletons - others saying they will be at Sandringham and then Anmer without the Middletons who may join them after Christmas Day. Only time will tell what actually happens (or if we don't see any pictures the media will just speculate however they want)
Old 12-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

The bottom line is the tabloids/press don't have a clue what the private plans are.

The papers make up multiple stories hoping it gets one right. Just like everything else with the royals.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Serene Highness

Exactly - if they papers get it wrong they will say what actually happened was a 'last minute surprise'. If they got it right they will pretend they knew all along!
Old 12-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

William no doubt scouting that 13 year old for Aston Villa? I love this tradition.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent

They are both thoroughly enjoying themselves, mud, rain and all! Harry's putting his heart and soul into it as usual!

I don't believe the Middletons are in Norfolk. We shall see, but I do think it's a Windsor Christmas at the big house for everyone this year.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

If Sandringham is as crowded as they always say it is, why would the Cambridges spend the night there when there own house is a few minutes away. Even without the Middletons at Anmer, it would free up rooms and dragging all the baby stuff for Charlotte if they just go back and forth between the 2 houses.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
They are both thoroughly enjoying themselves, mud, rain and all! Harry's putting his heart and soul into it as usual!

I don't believe the Middletons are in Norfolk. We shall see, but I do think it's a Windsor Christmas at the big house for everyone this year.
I wouldn't be surprised either if the Cambridges open their home to some of the relatives to ease the load at the Big House. Maybe all the younger set such as Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie etc could be staying at Anmer. We'll probably never know as its a private family celebration.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think the Cambridge's are staying the night at Sandringham. They have their own home on the estate. It may be that they're just participating in the family celebrations this year, instead of hosting the Middletons at Anmer, like they did last year. Anyway, both families will likely celebrate together.

The Queen's Christmas Message 2015: BBC One- 3pm UK Time-
BBC One - The Queen, 2015

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Exactly - if they papers get it wrong they will say what actually happened was a 'last minute surprise'. If they got it right they will pretend they knew all along!
That reminds me of April 2008, when Katie Nicholl insisted that Catherine wasn't invited to William's RAF graduation ceremony.

Then the day of the ceremony, Catherine shows up with Lady Sarah McCorquodale and Celia McCorquodale. A flustered Katie Nicholl then claimed that Catherine only got invited the last minute, that's why her original story was inaccurate.

Of course, pictures from the event showed Catherine had a printed place card holder with her name on it, just like all the other guests. Katie Nicholl made sure not to include those photos in her revision story, lest she look like a lying fool.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I wouldn't be surprised either if the Cambridges open their home to some of the relatives to ease the load at the Big House. Maybe all the younger set such as Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie etc could be staying at Anmer. We'll probably never know as its a private family celebration.
Exactly (my bolding), all the papers pretend to have inside information but in reality they are the same as us, standing on the outside having a good guess at what is going on! I imagine that, as the Royal family grows, the possibility of William and Kate using their home as a base for some of their generation gets more likely. Equally, lets not forget, there is Wood Farm where Sarah Ferguson use to stay if they need it. I imagine if the RF are really 'crammed' in at Sandringham already its because thats what they want rather than what they have to do!
Old 12-24-2015, 07:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Amner is 10 bedrooms. So there should be six bedrooms free (master, bedroom for each kid and a nanny would be the other 4) unless The middletons are staying. The Middletons would still leave 3 rooms but I don't know if Harry or the Yorks would want to stay if the in laws are there.

For the Yorks at least. wood farm seems a more likely candidate. The girls have often spent part of Christmas with their mom there.

Would be nice to think of Charles and Camilla and Harry staying at Amner, but don't really see that happening. Could have them there, put Andrew and the girls at Wood farm, and others could stay at the main house.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Serene Highness

I guess time will tell, personally I suspect the family want to be as one and spend as much time together under one roof as possible. Given that Sarah was using Wood Farm in the mid 1990s I can't imagine no one has thought of using it for extended family until now. Either Wood Farm or Anmer still mean leaving at night time and driving back in the morning and maybe the RF would rather be a bit more cramped but together?
Old 12-24-2015, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
The Queen’s Christmas Message: "It is true that the world has had to confront moments of darkness this year........

Queen: ....but the Gospel of John contains a verse of great hope often read at Christmas carol services

The Queen's Christmas Message: ...'The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.'"

In her annual broadcast,the Queen will describe Christmas as "a time to remember all that we have to be thankful for

Queen's Christmas Message is in a year which marked the seventieth anniversary of the end of the Second World War.

In the United Kingdom, the broadcast will be transmitted, both on TV and radio, at 15.00hrs GMT on Christmas Day.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:21 PM
Courtier

I didn't realize how bad Harry's balding was until I saw this picture from today's soccer match.

Ravishing the Royals

By the time he's 40-45, he should look like Edward and William.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

British Royal Christmas 2008-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I guess time will tell, personally I suspect the family want to be as one and spend as much time together under one roof as possible. Given that Sarah was using Wood Farm in the mid 1990s I can't imagine no one has thought of using it for extended family until now. Either Wood Farm or Anmer still mean leaving at night time and driving back in the morning and maybe the RF would rather be a bit more cramped but together?

I would imagine Nanny Maria and RPOs would take the kids back to Amner after family presents and before the black tie dinner. The kids might be easier to get to bed in their own rooms and it's a very short drive between the two houses. The RPOs can alway drive if W&K are drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Amner is 10 bedrooms. So there should be six bedrooms free (master, bedroom for each kid and a nanny would be the other 4) unless The middletons are staying. The Middletons would still leave 3 rooms but I don't know if Harry or the Yorks would want to stay if the in laws are there.

For the Yorks at least. wood farm seems a more likely candidate. The girls have often spent part of Christmas with their mom there.

Would be nice to think of Charles and Camilla and Harry staying at Amner, but don't really see that happening. Could have them there, put Andrew and the girls at Wood farm, and others could stay at the main house.
Why can't a 7 month old and a 2 year old share a bedroom?

And why should Charles and Camilla move in with William and Catherine? Harry can move in with his brother but not C&C.

All the action happens at Sandringham House. They have a schedule they follow. It is a lot easier to arrive promptly for dinner if they are at Sandringham House rather than Anmer.

Sandringham and Balmoral both lease cottages on the estate to the general public. On Balmoral's website it states: Please note that the holiday cottages are not available for some weeks during The Royal Visit.

The Sandringham estate has 2 cottages that are rented to the general public. The same rules about availability when the RF are in residence may also apply.

Anmer house would have been perfect for Princess Anne and her family and the Wessex household, although Anne might prefer Sandringham House to be nearer the action. (So may Sophie.)

Tim & Anne bedroom 1
Mike, Zara & Mia bedroom 2
Peter & Autumn bedroom 3
Edward & Sophie bedroom 4
Louise bedroom 5
Savannah & Isla bedroom 6
James bedroom 7
Wessex nanny bedroom 8
Philip nanny bedroom 9
Tindall nanny bedroom 10

The current use of Anmer by William leaves a lot of free bedrooms.
William & Catherine bedroom 1
George & Charlotte bedroom 2
Nanny Maria bedroom 3

The royal family may use some of the cottages on the Sandringham Estate or they may be used by staff. There is suppose to be a bachelor's quarter that in previous generations was for single males. It is now used as staff quarters except during the Christmas holiday when it resorts to being used by the family.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Its about 3 miles, 6 minute drive. between the two houses. Certainly not a long jaunt. Seems a bit foolish to uproot two small kids from their nursery for a guest bedroom only minutes up the road IMO. As pointed out, RPO easily could drive if alcohol is an issue.

Tags
christmas