The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
♔ Mo_Holland @Mo_Holland · 5h 5 hours ago
Before leaving for Sandringham The Queen will host Her annual pre-Christmas lunch at Buck Palace for the extended Royal Family this week.
Do we have a date for the lunch at BP?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Heir Apparent

My guess is the 19th or 17th. Charles and Anne have engagements on the 16th and 18th. Some are outside of London. Camilla is going to a carol concert on the 16th. I would say the 17th since is a Wednesday instead of Friday the 19th. There is nothing on future engagements on the 17th.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 12-16-2014, 01:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

A surprisingly recent Buckingham Palace tradition-
BBC News - A surprisingly recent Buckingham Palace tradition

What a very nice story and I had know idea this happened because of a little letter from Graphic designer Robin Ollington.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-16-2014, 02:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
My guess is the 19th or 17th. Charles and Anne have engagements on the 16th and 18th. Some are outside of London. Camilla is going to a carol concert on the 16th. I would say the 17th since is a Wednesday instead of Friday the 19th. There is nothing on future engagements on the 17th.

What is listed on the FE however is rarely an indication of who actually is going to do something as it only lists a few of the engagements that occur outside the various palaces.

I have regularly done a preview count for a month and found them short by around 300 engagements out of the around 400 done in the month. I am therefore saying that the FE only puts up about 25% of engagements in advance.

That being said it could be that the lunch is on Wednesday but the lunch is only a couple of hours so there could be other engagements done on the same day as the lunch.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
What is listed on the FE however is rarely an indication of who actually is going to do something as it only lists a few of the engagements that occur outside the various palaces.

I have regularly done a preview count for a month and found them short by around 300 engagements out of the around 400 done in the month. I am therefore saying that the FE only puts up about 25% of engagements in advance.

That being said it could be that the lunch is on Wednesday but the lunch is only a couple of hours so there could be other engagements done on the same day as the lunch.
Off-topic, but can anyone tell me if there is a special forum for royal Christmas messages in general, or if each monarch's message is discussed in their respective forums ?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

I would say Friday 19th as I don't think Louise and James have finished school yet. Friday seeems like a good bet for the other children who attend to have finished school too

I wish we could see more clips of the lunch. We saw some clips of it in the Queen's 2004 message (the year we saw Louise getting a gift from Granny and Grandad) but can't recall ever seeing it again.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
A surprisingly recent Buckingham Palace tradition-
BBC News - A surprisingly recent Buckingham Palace tradition

What a very nice story and I had know idea this happened because of a little letter from Graphic designer Robin Ollington.
Yes it is and I never knew it was only a recent tradition and only started in 1996!

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall's Christmas Card 2014

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall's Christmas Card 2014
Old 12-16-2014, 07:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I would say Friday 19th as I don't think Louise and James have finished school yet. Friday seeems like a good bet for the other children who attend to have finished school too

I wish we could see more clips of the lunch. We saw some clips of it in the Queen's 2004 message (the year we saw Louise getting a gift from Granny and Grandad) but can't recall ever seeing it again.
This is a private family event - not an official engagement which is why the only photos that usually are seen are those taken by the paps sitting outside BP to see who arrives.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
This is a private family event - not an official engagement which is why the only photos that usually are seen are those taken by the paps sitting outside BP to see who arrives.
I agree that a private event like this should not be filmed or photographed (although we may be lucky to see some footage during the Queen's Christmas Message), but it does reinforce my wish that the Diplomatic Corp dinner was filmed or photographed if only on the basis that it is an official function of the Monarch.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Royal Highness

I think Wednesday as Anne & her family will probably be attending the funeral of Mark Phillip's sister on Friday.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Are most UK schools stopping for winter break at the end of the week? Also many of the younger members of the extended BRF who attend the event do have jobs so I can see BP waiting until the end of the week to have the gathering.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I like to think of Charles as a traditional sort of man--his brothers and sister and their children have always spent Christmas together, I think they would probably try to continue to do so. And yes, I do believe Camilla's children would be invited as well.
I don't think Camilla's children will ever be invited. There is no tradition of inviting relatives of people who marry into the royal family to royal family events other than that person's funeral or his/her wedding itself.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Are most UK schools stopping for winter break at the end of the week? Also many of the younger members of the extended BRF who attend the event do have jobs so I can see BP waiting until the end of the week to have the gathering.
Yes the state schools generally finish at the end of this week, although some private schools finished last week, but St George's School in Windsor Castle, where Louise and James attend doesn't finish until this week. I would imagine most of the other children who are coming attend private schools so they will have all finished. I know Margarita and Lady Helen's daughters used to go to Garden House in Kensington but they may have moved on due to their age.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Royal Highness

I would think tomorrow... it is usually in the middle of the week. Thankfully, we get little clips of pictures taken by the press while they are in their cars. :-)

I like the fact the Queen does this every year. I hope Charles keeps up the tradition.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Yes the state schools generally finish at the end of this week, although some private schools finished last week, but St George's School in Windsor Castle, where Louise and James attend doesn't finish until this week. I would imagine most of the other children who are coming attend private schools so they will have all finished. I know Margarita and Lady Helen's daughters used to go to Garden House in Kensington but they may have moved on due to their age.

Thank you Molly. Hopefully we'll get some good photos of the Wessex family through their car windows for the luncheon!
Old 12-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

You are welcome TLLK and we normally see the families arriving so fingers crossed. Margarita arrived in style last year with her dad in his tiny Fiat 500.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@RegalEyes: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have arrived at the Queen's family Christmas Lunch. No sign of Prince George.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Rex Features has photos of the family arriving. Seen Peter, Autumn, Harry, Beatrice, the Taylors, The Kents and Tim (on foot) so far. Love the photo of the police officers looking at a photo list of the family members. Made me chuckle last year and they are doing again this year. There are so many people who attend that it's no wonder a role call is needed!

Edit: I forgot that Lord Nicholas and his wife had another baby - there is a small glimpse of he/she in Paola's arms in the taxi on the way to the lunch. Does anyone know whether they had a boy or a girl?

I have just googled it - another boy called Louis.

Royal Family Christmas Lunch at Buckingham Palace

It's also James' 7th birthday today so extra special for him. =]
Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate Middleton and Prince William attend the Queen's Christmas lunch without Prince George - hellomagazine.com
Quote:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended the Queen's Buckingham Palace Christmas lunch without Prince George on Wednesday. The couple joined other members of the royal family including Prince Harry, Prince Charles and Princess Beatrice at the event, which is hosted each year by the monarch at her official residence.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Nobility

Duchess of coronwall is not with prince charles !
i wonder why she is absent from such a traditional family event like the
christmas lunch :/

Tags
christmas