British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why Sophie always rides in the car with the queen and the rest of the family walks to the church on Christmas?

Partly for company, but also in 2003 she was recovering from the emergency delivery of Lady Louise in November and then again in 2007 she had delivered Viscount Severn just the week before, also by c-section. So I think it became a nice tradition for the two ladies which they continue.

The pictures are a bit disappointing.

But, at least, HM will have some fun in the months to come when she will attend events to celebrate the "King James Bible" anniversary.

I can't recognize the two ladies with the red coats that accompanied HM. And what about the girl? Is she Louise?! ;) Sophie looks very good as usual. Thanks for sharing!

I can't recognize the two ladies with the red coats that accompanied HM. And what about the girl? Is she Louise?! ;) Sophie looks very good as usual. Thanks for sharing!

I'd say they are locals who came out with their dog(s) to greet the royal family. The girl is not Louise (fervently wishing she were, though). Amazing how close they are to HM if that's the case!

I'd say they are locals who came out with their dog(s) to greet the royal family. The girl is not Louise (fervently wishing she were, though). Amazing how close they are to HM if that's the case!

Very very close, if that's the case.;) I suppose this was a low-key event, just a Church Service the 2nd day of the new year.

On a more shallow note, does anyone know if the statement necklace that Princess Beatrice wore for the Christmas Day Church Service at Sandringham has any historical significance? It was quite large and worn outside of her jacket.

christmas_divider_13.gif

The Royal Christmas 2011

:royalstandard:

Last edited:
Christmas at Sandringham this year will probably include the Duchess of Cambridge and Mike Tindall.

:previous:

An interesting coupling, to be sure, but hopefully you mean with their respective spouses!! :)

Although I do not know the Queen's guest list, since the family moved Christmas back to Sandringham [it used to be held at Windsor, when ALL royals turned up, was then transferred to Sandringham whilst Windsor was repaired after the fire, with fewer royals turning up, went back to Windsor for a couple more years when the castle was repaired and then transferred back to Sandringham where it has been held ever since!] the royal guest list has been much smaller. I would therefore not be surprised if William and Catherine stayed at a house on the Estate and invited the Middletons, with W and C then joining the Queen at Sandringham just for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day formalities. I would also not be totally surprised if Zara and Mike did not attend this year, if only to avoid the possibility of the press taking photographs of the 'disgraced' former England Rugby Captain [note for forum members abroad - English Rugby is the subject of ENORMOUS controversy at the moment, and I just do not think that the Queen would run the risk of providing a photo-opportunity.

Just my thoughts; had it not been for the Rugby controversy I am sure that Muriel would be right about the guestlist.

Alex

...had it not been for the Rugby controversy I am sure that Muriel would be right about the guestlist.
I am aware about the rugby controvery and the issues Mike has been facing recently, hence my use of the term "probably" in relation to Mike.:)
An interesting coupling, to be sure, but hopefully you mean with their respective spouses!! :)
Do you know something we don't? ;)

In relation to the Middletons, I would be surprised if they were on the estate at Christmas time. IMO, this will certainly be a possibility when Charles is King, but at this stage, to me it seems a bit premature.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do hope Mike and Zara attend, as they need to put on a brave front for the public. No doubt if they did not attend the media would start ridiculous rumours about goodness knows what. That said, the stars will obviously be William and Catherine so I doubt those who wait outside wouldn't care if no one turned up but those two.

Part of me also hopes Lady Louise walks with her dad this year, now that she has been in the wedding and seen at the Royal Windsor Horse Show more publically this year. I doubt James will attend but it's a hope that Louise does. (I say she'll walk with her dad as Sophie will likely be with the Queen in the car, but you never know...Catherine may take that place now?)

Regarding the Middletons, I imagine they will be on the estate somewhere for William and Catherine to visit, and they may even go to the Boxing Day service as Sophie's father attends that, normally.

After reading the article regarding Catherine's attire at Christmas, I didn't realise that had to change to so much on Christmas day. £'Kate will need a casual outfit for breakfast, a smart outfit - and a hat - for the morning church service, a dress for lunch, a cocktail dress for early evening drinks and a full-length dress for the evening meal.'

Is that true protocol? I know the hat is obvious, but what about the rest? Could someone with royal insight tell me?

It's normally Queen's immediate family including the grandkids at Sandringham. The Chattos & Linleys attend sometimes. Last year, I don't think Peter & Autumn went due Autumn being near her due date with Savannah and William was on duty in Wales. So Mike & Zara should be there most likely.

When they were dating, William would spend Christmas with his family and New Years with the Middletons. With Kate's birthday in early January, I can see Will & Kate taking a ski holiday with the Middletons or doing a week in Mustique (if Kate can't ski due to carrying future monarch) in January before he goes to the Falklands for 6 weeks.

...Part of me also hopes Lady Louise walks with her dad this year, now that she has been in the wedding and seen at the Royal Windsor Horse Show more publically this year. I doubt James will attend but it's a hope that Louise does.
It would be lovely to see Lady Louise walk out with the rest of the family. She was seen a great deal this year (compared with what we've got in the years past), and it appears like she handled it quite well. Her smile and poise at the wedding and Trooping the Colour was wonderful. I think James is a little too young (he'll turn four a week before Christmas). I think he's got a couple of years before stepping out into some spotlight.

oh can someone tell me what the rugby controversy is? havent heard anything of that!

oh can someone tell me what the rugby controversy is? havent heard anything of that!

Check out the articles in the Mike Tindall: Current Events thread, and they'll bring you up to speed. :)

It would be lovely to see Lady Louise walk out with the rest of the family. She was seen a great deal this year (compared with what we've got in the years past), and it appears like she handled it quite well. Her smile and poise at the wedding and Trooping the Colour was wonderful. I think James is a little too young (he'll turn four a week before Christmas). I think he's got a couple of years before stepping out into some spotlight.

Louise appeared to adore every minute of the wedding and Trooping the Colour, especially the carriage ride and balcony moments. She is too precious! I think that now the public have welcomed Louise, Edward and Sophie will hopefully be more laid back regarding their daughter being photographed, and with next year being the Diamond Jubilee, Louise is bound to make an appearance. Louise was also see at The Order of the Garter service with her school, which Edward and Sophie would have had to consent to as it involves them leaving the school on a trip of sorts, so they seem to be more laid back now. I do hope she'll walk with them but I do agree that James is likely too young. It would be lovely to see Louise walk with her big cousins, like Margarita did when she was a bit younger.

Last edited:
Louise appeared to adore every minute of the wedding and Trooping the Colour, especially the carriage ride and balcony moments. She is too precious! I think that now the public have welcomed Louise, Edward and Sophie will hopefully be more laid back regarding their daughter being photographed, and with next year being the Diamond Jubilee, Louise is bound to make an appearance. Louise was also see at The Order of the Garter service with her school, which Edward and Sophie would have had to consent to as it involves them leaving the school on a trip of sorts, so they seem to be more laid back now. I do hope she'll walk with them but I do agree that James is likely too young. It would be lovely to see Louise walk with her big cousins, like Margarita did when she was a bit younger.

Like you, I'm hoping to get more glimpses of Louise this coming year. It is the Diamond Jubilee, and I think that Trooping the Colour and Garter Day would be wonderful opportunities for her to participate in public family events (not to mention that she has already taken part this year [even if GD was a school field trip of sorts]). I think it would be treat to see her walk with her older cousins this coming Christmas (imagine the :D and the enthusiastic :wave:). She would be eating up all the attention, and would add heaps of cheer to the Christmas Day.

Like you, I'm hoping to get more glimpses of Louise this coming year. It is the Diamond Jubilee, and I think that Trooping the Colour and Garter Day would be wonderful opportunities for her to participate in public family events (not to mention that she has already taken part this year [even if GD was a school field trip of sorts]). I think it would be treat to see her walk with her older cousins this coming Christmas (imagine the :D and the enthusiastic :wave:). She would be eating up all the attention, and would add heaps of cheer to the Christmas Day.

Aww, I can just picture her happy wave! She was so cute at Trooping the Colour when the Queen and Prince Philip clapped and waved, so did Louise. Too adorable.

I am looking forward to seeing what Catherine is going to pull out of the bag to wear...will it be a recycled outfit, or new? I am sure the press can't wait.

Aww, I can just picture her happy wave! She was so cute at Trooping the Colour when the Queen and Prince Philip clapped and waved, so did Louise. Too adorable.

I am looking forward to seeing what Catherine is going to pull out of the bag to wear...will it be a recycled outfit, or new? I am sure the press can't wait.

Y'know, as much as I love Catherine, if Lady Louise is there Christmas Day, and we get a chance to see her, my attention is going to be on pictures of her. I'll probably notice Catherine's attire after someone has posted a picture and started talking about it. I think my inner 'teacher' is coming out every time there's anything children-related. I need to watch and see if I can spot any interesting behaviors/mannerisms.

And I do remember what you're talking about with the clapping and the waving. Though her waving at the wedding is still prominent in my memory. She was ready to jump out of her skin from all the excitement. Makes you wonder if she ever gets to spend some quality time with her older cousins.

Y'know, as much as I love Catherine, if Lady Louise is there Christmas Day, and we get a chance to see her, my attention is going to be on pictures of her. I'll probably notice Catherine's attire after someone has posted a picture and started talking about it. I think my inner 'teacher' is coming out every time there's anything children-related. I need to watch and see if I can spot any interesting behaviors/mannerisms.

And I do remember what you're talking about with the clapping and the waving. Though her waving at the wedding is still prominent in my memory. She was ready to jump out of her skin from all the excitement. Makes you wonder if she ever gets to spend some quality time with her older cousins.

:previous:
I agree with you, Daria.If Lady Louise is there, all my attention is going to see videos and pictures from her :flowers:

After reading the article regarding Catherine's attire at Christmas, I didn't realise that had to change to so much on Christmas day. £'Kate will need a casual outfit for breakfast, a smart outfit - and a hat - for the morning church service, a dress for lunch, a cocktail dress for early evening drinks and a full-length dress for the evening meal.'

Is that true protocol? I know the hat is obvious, but what about the rest? Could someone with royal insight tell me?

Please don't laugh at me, but from my own experience,this is fairly standard attire for what I call 'formal country house party occasions'. It's what I have to wear when we go for weekends with people. Most such weekends involve dressing for dinner - and in fact, most country house parties at the weekend are in fact built around parties, either at the house where you are staying or in the neighbourhood. Of course it is not 'Christmas' every weekend, but the Sunday of a country house party weekend usually almost always involves a visit to church......... so in other words, the Royal Christmas schedule is just following 'standard country house practice' [When the previous Lord Lichfield (royal relative) used to entertain at Shrugborough, although he was something of a right-on trendy London photographer etc etc, even his house parties were quite formal 'tweedy' affairs. The staff were always dressed very formally for dinner etc and so it would just not have been 'on' to appear in jeans, even if clean and of the 'Designer' variety.] [And by the way, you do NOT need new clothes the whole time; I tend to wear the same outfits over and over again, changing the hat I wear for church etc etc. Several long dresses, a couple of evening skirts and silk tops, a couple of 'country suits', a good coat, an ancient Burberry trenchcoat, a couple of ancient Hermes Scarves, a few cashmere sweaters bought in Sales from the Cashmere Centre, a couple of country jackets, my pearl necklace and a family heirloom diamond necklace that I am lucky enough to have and I am all set with clothes that can be worn year after year after year after year after year. you get the idea I am sure]

The 'casual outfit' for breakfast usually means 'no jeans' and I am sure that this is the rule for royal occasions too. Obviously you don't go shooting on Christmas Day or on Sundays, but as a general rule, you find that ladies are allowed to stay in bed and are then served breakfast in bed [yippee, but make sure that you are wearing a decent nightdress!!] whilst the guns are downstairs having a substantial breakfast [devilled kidneys, kedgeree etc] before going out on a shoot. By custom, the ladies then go out and join the guns for a shooting picnic.

[All this 'dressing up' is actually a relic of the 'grand old days' when the aristocracy did not work and there was nothing much to do except entertain and in order to occupy all that time, constant outfit-changing was a way of passing the time....of course, in those days, everyone had a lot of staff.....]

[This thread is NOT about me of course, but for the record, I don't like pheasant or grouse shooting or deer stalking too much and would not shoot game myself, although I am (if I may say so) a pretty competent shot when it comes to clays. Mostly, women do not tend to shoot alongside the men at traditional and royal shoots - instead they help by holding gundogs, loading for their menfolk, picking up etc]

Hope some of this is of interest

Alex

[PS; at a more appropriate time I will recount the sad tale of when I went away for a house party at the weekend and I thought that I had lost my evening dress..........a most bizarre thing had actually happened to me....]

Last edited:
Please don't laugh at me, but from my own experience,this is fairly standard attire for what I call 'formal country house party occasions'. It's what I have to wear when we go for weekends with people. Most such weekends involve dressing for dinner - and in fact, most country house parties at the weekend are in fact built around parties, either at the house where you are staying or in the neighbourhood. Of course it is not 'Christmas' every weekend, but the Sunday of a country house party weekend usually almost always involves a visit to church......... so in other words, the Royal Christmas schedule is just following 'standard country house practice' [When the previous Lord Lichfield (royal relative) used to entertain at Shrugborough, although he was something of a right-on trendy London photographer etc etc, even his house parties were quite formal 'tweedy' affairs. The staff were always dressed very formally for dinner etc and so it would just not have been 'on' to appear in jeans, even if clean and of the 'Designer' variety.]

The 'casual outfit' for breakfast usually means 'no jeans' and I am sure that this is the rule for royal occasions too. Obviously you don't go shooting on Christmas Day or on Sundays, but as a general rule, you find that ladies are allowed to stay in bed and are then served breakfast in bed [yippee, but make sure that you are wearing a decent nightdress!!] whilst the guns are downstairs having a substantial breakfast [devilled kidneys, kedgeree etc] before going out on a shoot. By custom, the ladies then go out and join the guns for a shooting picnic.

[All this 'dressing up' is actually a relic of the 'grand old days' when the aristocracy did not work and there was nothing much to do except entertain and in order to occupy all that time, constant outfit-changing was a way of passing the time....of course, in those days, everyone had a lot of staff.....]

[This thread is NOT about me of course, but for the record, I don't like pheasant or grouse shooting or deer stalking too much and would not shoot game myself, although I am (if I may say so) a pretty competent shot when it comes to clays. Mostly, women do not tend to shoot alongside the men at traditional and royal shoots - instead they help by holding gundogs, loading for their menfolk, picking up etc]

Hope some of this is of interest

Alex

[PS; at a more appropriate time I will recount the sad tale of when I went away for a house party at the weekend and I thought that I had lost my evening dress..........a most bizarre thing had actually happened to me....]

Thank you, Alex. As usual, very informative.

What you described has a touch of 'Downton Abbey', and almost any other period drama that I have watched. I love that the fact that some of these traditions are still kept. I'm an old soul.

Please don't laugh at me, but from my own experience,this is fairly standard attire for what I call 'formal country house party occasions'...
Thank you, Alex. Once again you are so informative. The shooting party reminds me of the scene in "Downton Abbey" when the horses all arrive outside the grand house and the Earl and Countess of Grantham are greeting them. I do love a period drama or two!

When you say the women do not shoot alongside the men, does this mean they do not normally attend? I am sure Sophie has been seen on the Boxing Day shoots with Edward, and was seen attending long before her marriage. Does she not shoot, but simply mind the dog?

I think you should have your own thread Alex, you're so interesting.I only ever pack like that for a cruise( formal nights and all).You'll have to tell us a few more stories.It helps to understand the protocol and formalities.

When you say the women do not shoot alongside the men, does this mean they do not normally attend? I am sure Sophie has been seen on the Boxing Day shoots with Edward, and was seen attending long before her marriage. Does she not shoot, but simply mind the dog?

I have of course not been on a 'royal shoot', but understand that the shoots hosted by the Queen and Prince Philip at their royal residences are pretty traditional and that women do not shoot. Indeed, the usual form seems to follow traditional 'aristocratic' shoots: the guns are all male and go out after an early breakfast; the women stay behind having breakfast in bed. They certainly join the menfolk later; as I said above, they join the guns for lunch. If Sophie has been seen at one of the Queen's shoots, I expect that she has done little more than load or look after the gundog / help retrieve the birds. All this gives the women quite a lot of work to do: I am sure forum members will remember the photograph a few years back of the Queen using her priest to dispatch a pheasant.

When the shoots are not hosted by the Queen / Prince Philip, I belive that female members of the royal family may well shoot. Early in her marriage, Diana stalked, shot and killed a stag. There were also pictures of the Middleton family stalking at Balmoral back in 2010 before the Royal Engagement was announced. But I do not think that the Queen was present then.

Note to female forum members young enough to apply for any 'royal girlfriend' vacancies: it is a huge point in your favour to get out of your warm bed at crack of dawn to go and see the guns off; you don't of course join them at that stage, but go a bit later both to help [as set out above] and eat a splendid picnic.

Hope some of this helps!

I think you should have your own thread Alex, you're so interesting.I only ever pack like that for a cruise( formal nights and all).You'll have to tell us a few more stories.It helps to understand the protocol and formalities.

You're very kind, Marlene, but I am 100 per cent sure that I would quickly bore forum members to sobs. As I have said before on other threads, many other people here have a far more impressive knowledge of Crowned Heads and their families which they have agained through hard study and research; I just write about the tiny bit of stuff I know through my own experiences, which is actually quite easy for me.

Alex

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom