The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

The second video is lovely as it shows Louise and Margarita helping William with his flowers.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Majesty

I enjoyed both videos, but, like Molly said, the second definitely wins, for the interaction between Louise, and her cousins. She's transitioning from a sweet child into a lovely, and sweet young lady. I'm looking forward to seeing more of her.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Courtier

I wonder if the crowds bring flower specifically for Charles, Camilla, William, Harry etc which is why they collect them or if it's just a rule/tradition that the senior royals collect them. I noticed how all the Queens other children and grandchildren all walk straight down to church/sandringham on those videos.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
You know Wyevale, I think he is!

I think the reason he doesn't go is because he likely can't sit still for long enough. He looks like he has a lot of energy to spend and perhaps his parents don't think it's appropriate for him to be chattering the whole way through the church service. I hoped he would be there this year as he has attended a few family things this year, but no such luck. Next year when he is 7 may be his year!
I was wondering w/my Parents when showing them the pictures, if perhaps his antics on the Balcony at TtC, might have come into play w/James not going to Services yesterday. It's one thing for him to cut up like that in private, or even on the Balcony, but not not at a Public Christmas Day Service.

Just something we were wondering about.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Heir Apparent

William's "flower girls" were absolutely adorable and they seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. For that matter, William seemed like a very indulgent older cousin and quite charmed by them as well.

But this is the first time I was really aware of the Protection Officers. A few years ago I seem to remember a few really low key and the local Police providing crowd control but this was different. They all seemed to be hyper-vigilant and it seemed that Catherine even had two!

Changing times?

Woman over 40 in short skirt: She is a private person with questionable taste. End of story.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Royal Highness

Lovely second video, thank you so much for that, Dman. :-) The younger generation certainly is much fun with their interactions with the people waiting to see them. And the crowd calls them by their first names...love it.. haha.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm definitely on the side of folks that think Harry looks very very good with his beard. Without it, Harry always had kind of a boyish charm to him but add that beard and its like.. wow.. instantly all man oozing sex appeal.

Absolutely! Most men look better with a beard. Especially the not so good-looking-ones should grow one; the handsome guys often even improve their good looks.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Courtier

Sarah Chatto's children are called Samuel and Arthur, Charles Armstrong-Jones is Linley's son and he has a sister called Margarita. If this is the photo you're referring to, then I think that is Charles and Arthur on the steps (you can also see Samuel behind them).

Now I see! thank you so much! I didn´t have so much trouble with their specific names, rather who was who.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Courtier

Phillips family watched the Sandringham football match on Christmas Eve
A royal tantrum! Princess Anne's adorable granddaughter stamps her wellies and refuses to keep her woolly hat on while watching William and Harry play football | Mail Online
Old 12-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Those two girls are simply adorable. Even in a bad mood. In the third picture down, Savannah's resemblance to Anne is remarkable I think.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Savannah is a mixture I think - Windsor and Kelly. I also see a resemblance to Lady Louise as a toddler too, but that could mainly be the blonde curls!
Old 12-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaelfka View Post
9 am service is in a private part of estate, so ladies are in less formal attire.
11 am service is in the public part, where wellwishers can greet them, take pics etc, so they are in formal outfits including hats and jewellery.

Both services are in the same church - St Mary Magdalene's which is in the publicly accessible part of the estate and can be visited by general public. However, on Christmas Day, the police keep the public back from the walkway to the church until after the communion service and only allow them to walk down to the church area after the royals have left the first service. They also do a security check on these people.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Thank you, annaelfka.

Only two hours apart? I suppose when you have servants doing all the cooking and laying out your outfits you can spend all Christmas day going to church and eating and changing into different outfits between each activity.

I find the hat business interesting because I have always thought there was some element of propriety involved, i.e. Anglican women were supposed to cover their heads in church like Catholics do (or at least did), but if the Queen herself doesn't see the need to wear a hat then the hat-wearing for Anglicans seems to only be about dressing up. Where's Bertie? She'll know.

I'm here after a quiet Christmas at home and a lovely Boxing Day on Sydney Harbour watching the start of the Sydney-Hobart Yacht race.

The hats question - it was always expected that a woman would cover her head in church until WWII and then, due to rationing and the need to conserve material for uniforms and other weapons, the ruling was relaxed to say that women didn't need to have hats and gloves anymore - CoE in the UK and Australia - don't know about elsewhere. After the war and the lifting of rationing, which in the UK was well into the 1950s, many women never returned to the idea of wearing hats to church although older ladies tended to do so but the younger ones didn't. Now The Queen would be classed, after the war, as a 'younger' woman but...she was also more influenced by her mother and grand-mother and so hat wearing it was (the royals did stick to the rationing rules during the war) but as the years have gone along and the next generation have mixed more and more with women not wearing hats and gloves to church it is now only the 'public' occasions that they all wear the hats.

Personally I have never worn a hat to church, except to a wedding when I was about 6, and have never seen a woman younger than my mother in age (my late mother was 3 years younger than The Queen to give you an idea of the ages of women I am talking about) wear a hat to an Anglican service. The only woman I see wearing a hat to church at my local CoE church now is the darling 103 lady who tuts at the rest of us who even wear slacks to church and the boys who wear sneakers but she says 'they are here and hearing the good news so it probably isn't all that important that they are wearing sports shoes'.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Still no James!
Louise didn't attend until 2011 - aged 8 so I wouldn't expect to see James for another 2 years.

Edward and Sophie are determined to keep their children out of the public eye as much as possible and probably also believe that 8 is a better age to be attending these sorts of events.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Hadn't realised she was 8 at the time. I think they have a sensible approach.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you, Bertie. That explains it. The last time I attended a C of E service (other than weddings and funerals) would have been about 1967, and probably the Christmas Day Family Service. My experience is therefore limited to a time when all ladies did wear hats to church. If the ladies in that conservative North Shore parish ever abandoned the habit during the War, they picked it up again when it ended. Actually when I think about it now I suspect some of them were still wearing their pre-War hats and gloves.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Majesty

That is very likely - my grandmother always said that her mother wore her pre-war hats during the war as she insisted on wearing a hat although my grandmother didn't bother from about 1942 onwards - probably because she realised from personal experience how important material was - she was working on making the wings for the planes - starching material, layers and layers of it to make the wings to defend Australia.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Royal Highness

My favorite part was seeing a big thick swollen Zara, from ankles to face, ready to burst.

That's a girl baby in there.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:04 PM

I'm curious as to what age Royal children are allowed at the 'adult' activities... Is it based strictly on age, or the child's maturity level? Eg. are they allowed at the Christmas dinner table, or are children up to age x fed separately?

Tags
christmas