British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread began in the future and is now in the present. It has also changed focus from Charles and Camilla to the Royal Family generally.
I'm renaming it "The Royal Christmas: Present and Future" and moving the thread from the POW subforum to the general British area.

Warren
British Forums moderator

This is what most families have to do. It's impossible to see everyone you wish to see on the holidays. You try and you see who you can see, but it's all you can do, and there is always next year, we hope!!
It is difficult, as you say, with extended families as much as 'ordinary' families. The perennial question your folks or mine, becomes your folks, your kids or mine. And sometimes it is absolutely wonderful just to have them all to your home! :D

Until about the late 1980s the royal christmas was always celebrated at Windsor and only New Year was celebrated at Sandringham, but for some reason I can't remember it was moved one year and they never returned to Windsor.

There was the horrible fire at Windsor Castle in 1992 which necessitated the moving of Christmas get-togethers to Sandringham and the change has stuck. There is probably more privacy at Sandringham, also.

Do you have any pictures of the Wednesday christmas lunch? I have not seen any yet

The Christmas lunch is always private inside of Buckingham Palace, although one year (2004?) some footage of the present giving part was included as part of the Queen's Christmas Day message. It was a bit where the Queen handed a present to one year old Lady Louise and said "say thank you to Grannie"

There was no media outside Buckingham Palace so no photos of royals arriving, just ardent royalty watchers.

There was the horrible fire at Windsor Castle in 1992 which necessitated the moving of Christmas get-togethers to Sandringham and the change has stuck. There is probably more privacy at Sandringham, also.

Christmas celebrations were moved back to Sandringham well before the fire of 1992. The Queen's immediate family were celebrating Christmas at Sandringham during the 1980's Diana's Squiggygate tape was made at Sandringham during the christmas/new year celebrations of 1989.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Christmas at Sandringham' 2008

A very gossipy piece by Richard Kay and Geoffrey Levy on Christmas at Sandringham.
Since Kay has been out of the royal loop for quite a while some of it may relate to Christmases past, but since we have no way of knowing what's true today and what's not (if it ever was), take it at face value.
The headline is somewhat overstated (no "rancour" or "sour grapes" of note to be found in the article), but an entertaining read nonetheless.
There's a snippet about Lady Louise practicing her deep curtseys to a statue of Queen Victoria.

Mail Online, 23 December 2008

Worried about the in-laws? Spare a thought for the royals - whose festive lunch comes with rancour and vintage sour grapes | Mail Online

Who'll be there
The Queen and Prince Philip
Charles & Camilla
William & Harry
Princess Anne & Tim Laurence
Prince Andrew
Beatrice & Eugenie
Sophie & Edward and James & Louise
Peter & Autumn Phillips
Viscount Linley & Serena and Charles & Margarita Armstrong-Jones
Lady Sarah & Daniel and Samuel & Arthur Chatto

(25 in total - 19 adults, 6 children)

Last edited:
Nice video. William has beard. I think he looks good, but I wasn't sure at first if it was William or not:D

Zara Phillips has an interesting hat, I like it.

God..William is so..."Windsorized" now, you can tell. At least Harry still has the spunkiness and spark...

Autumn and Zara looked smashing, modern, classic. This the very first time I liked what Bea had on. But she, Camilla, and Sophie looked very somber in their shades of blue. Anne wore the same outfit as in 2006, I believe.

The Queen, perfect as always.

I thought Beatrice looked Perfect..Sophie looked effortlessly elegant
but zara stole the show with her hat and her new haircut
in general, they all looked brilliant..
what can i say, their stylists did an amazing job :D

God..William is so..."Windsorized" now, you can tell.

You sound like that's a bad thing, Lady M. :)

Actually I think he looks better in a beard, less formal. Just for fun, I dug up these pictures from gettyimages of Charles when he was sporting a beard.

Charles with beard 1
Charles with beard 2
Charles with beard 3

They both looked better with beards. I wonder how long William will be able to keep his. Apparently, when Charles got home from the Navy, the women in his family didn't like the beard so it came off.

I thought Beatrice looked Perfect..Sophie looked effortlessly elegant
but zara stole the show with her hat and her new haircut
in general, they all looked brilliant..
what can i say, their stylists did an amazing job :D

Loving the Countess's heels! They look amazing with her elegant outfit. How high would they be?!

Prince William to grow a beard fairly to become
Camilla is more beautiful, more elegance, more alive, more cheerful after the wedding

Her Majesty and Duchess of Cornwall looked as expected. Countess of Wessex looked regal indeed: a classical jacket paired with a tulip skirt and pill box hat. A dark hue of the blue colour becomes her perfectly. It was refreshing to see Princess Eugine dressed smartly: a turquoise-coloured coat and unfussy unadorned hat. Ms. Zara Phillips gladdened (... sorry for a rather old-fashioned word) our eyes with an edgy fuchsia hat, which perfectly matched a simple brown ensemble. As for men, I would say that Mr. Peter Philips,Prince Harry, and Prince Andrew were great in their classical suits. In my opinion, the beard makes Prince William look drawn.
BBC has a Christmas Day article on the Royals, including a video of them leaving church: BBC NEWS | UK | Royals gather for Christmas Day .
It was so sweet of Her Majesty to accept all these flower bouquets from children.

I like what Sophie is wearing.

Sophie looks really beautiful but I don't much like her coat. Sophie looks very fresh though. Maybe it's her hairstyle, which is lovely. Anyway, Sophie and Autumn (love Autumn's coat) look pretty. Well, all the women look pretty. Zara, Beatrice.... Camilla looks hot... she looks so cool in her black leather boots. The whole look (of Camilla) takes some years off, I think. Makes her look kind of hip. It's interesting.

I love Will's beard. It's very Edwardian/post-Edwardian, sort of like G V/Tsar Nicky. Same for Prince Charles. I like Prince Charles with his beard. Thanks for the old pics, ysbel. It's too bad he was pressured to shave it. I read about that story before. Apparently the Queen sent him a subtle message of disapproval! :D Also, in Gyles Brandreth's book and also in John Dean's book, there is a pic of Prince Philip with his naval beard!

I don't know...I think Harry still looks and acts his generation (a good thing), and William seems a little more old-fogeyish.... I just get vibes, even from pictures.

I love Camilla boots! That is the second coat of Autumn's I wish I had. The first was the one she wore to HM and HRH's Thanksgiving Service for their 60th anniversary.

Zara did steal the show. I love her bangs and her fascinator...

Christmas Dinner guests add Zara and Mike

HM always looks so pleased to receive the flowers and it seems Pss B&E enjoy helping out; they've been doing it since they were quite young. How many ppl are allowed to present the Queen w flowers? Looked like an awfully long line.

I think P Wm looks even more handsome w the beard. It gives him a distinguished look. Harry looks more fuller in the face but still handsome. Of course P Andrew looked fab!

Sophie looked like an airline stewardess to me. Camilla looked very nice. Pss B & E I thought wore very flattering outfits. I don't get the crazy hat that Zara was wearing, though she could def. pull it off. I'm sorry but I don't find Autumn attractive at all. For some reason she reminds me of a cat. Maybe the eyes. I didn't care for what she was wearing either. HM looked very well put together.

Where are viscount and viscountess linley? I can't find a photo of them. Didn't they attend the christmas service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom