Belgian Introductory Visit to the UK: March 13, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 29m
The King and Queen of the Belgians are to be received by Queen Elizabeth at Buckingham Palace on 13th March.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 28m
They are making an ‘introductory visit’ which will be the first time the Belgian King & Queen have met Queen Elizabeth since acceding.

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde at their arrival in London.

♔ Rick Evers ‏@Rick_Evers Koning Filip en koningin Mathilde van België met vertraging in Londen gearriveerd voor bezoek aan o.a. de Queen. pic.twitter.com/0JQFAQTxNj

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde during the visit at the Parliament

Wim Dehandschutter ‏@WDehandschutter Filip en Mathilde in The Houses of Parliament in Londen. Zo meteen naar Buckingham Palace voor lunch met de Queen. pic.twitter.com/KiLNis6AM3

Place Royale ‏@RTLPlaceRoyale La Reine Elizabeth II a reçu le Roi Philippe et la Reine Mathilde à l'occasion de la visite officielle au Royaume-Uni pic.twitter.com/Cxmptzh3Cv

Place Royale ‏@RTLPlaceRoyale Entre Reines ... on s'embrasse ! pic.twitter.com/4LfL9TbYNI

Last edited:
The visit seems to be very streamlined.

Last edited:
I thought we had a thread but I couldn't find it earlier.

These were tweets from earlier that were in the family thread.

BritishMonarchy ‏@BritishMonarchy 13m
The Queen will today receive The King & Queen of the Belgians before hosting a private lunch in Buckingham Palace

UK in Belgium ‏@UKinBelgium 21m
#didyouknow the last time HM The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh visited #Belgium was in July 2007?

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and the Duke of Kent will also join the Queen at that lunch for King Philippe and Queen Mathilde.

I wonder what long time monarchs like Elizabeth think when she meets the second or third monarch or ruling prince who has ascended the throne during her reign. She likely remembers receiving birth announcements for some of the new monarchs.

The queen of Belgium looks so elegant and regal.
Love The two queens kiss photo.

Video:
Belgium's royals King Philippe and Queen Mathilde met British monarch Queen Elizabeth II today at Buckingham Palace in central London.

Home - ITNSource News

You can see The Queen trying to call her corgis back.

Last edited:
Video:
Belgium's royals King Philippe and Queen Mathilde met British monarch Queen Elizabeth II today at Buckingham Palace in central London.

Home - ITNSource News

Also in attendance was TRH The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester and The Duke of Kent. The Queen tried to keep her corgis under control.

Last edited:
The queen of Belgium looks so elegant and regal.
Love The two queens kiss photo.

I agree. Mathilde looks elegant and beautiful...perfection. And I love the photo with QEII!:whistling:

In the ITN video, how odd that the Duchess of Gloucester curtsied to Mathilde, but not to Philippe?

Last edited:
In the ITN video, how odd that the Duchess of Gloucester curtsied to Mathilde, but not to Philippe?[/QUOTE]

Indeed, but I guess she didn´t do it on purpose. Normally the duchess is very self-assured about protocol.
It´s a pity the sound is so quiet - I didn´t understand anything...

That is kind of odd, but she seemed to curtsey to Mathilde as an after thought. Perhaps forgetting who they are?

I love how The Queen goes "Now look we've got Richard and Birgitte and (correction) Edward"

Last edited:
I think the Duchess of Gloucester may have curtsied to The King before greeting him as he was walking over but the video didn't show it.

Mathilde looks FLAWLESS, I love her outfit!

I think the Duchess of Gloucester may have curtsied to The King before greeting him as he was walking over but the video didn't show it.
Agree ...........

That doesn't make any sense, seeing as Birgitte was the last to greet Phillipe you're supposed to curtsey/bow upon meeting them else all three would have bowed/curtsied? whilst they were on their way over.

That is kind of odd, but she seemed to curtsey to Mathilde as an after thought. Perhaps forgetting who they are?

I love how The Queen goes "Now look we've got Richard and Birgitte and Michael"

Forgetting who they are? Are you serious?:lol:

Yes, I liked the Queen´s informal introduction of the two Dukes and the Duchess, too. But they in their turn seemed to be very formal towards Philippe and Mathilde. Did the Dukes say "Your Majesty" when they shook hands?
There was not much to hear, but what I heard from the D o Gloucester´s voice reminded me a lot of his father Prince Henry.
I was surprised that the Queen didn´t seem to know that the royal couple went to parliament before cause she said to The King "Oh, you went to parliament!"

I caught that too...loved it!:lol:

I can't imagine such a longtime seasoned Royal as the DoG wouldn't know who the King and Queen of the Belgians was. She was presumably there, specifically to greet them with HM.

Video:

Home - ITNSource News

Also in attendance was TRH The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester and The Duke of Kent. The Queen tried to keep her corgis under control.
Dman, Thank you for the ITNSourceNews.
It was nice to see the meeting of Elizabeth II and King Philippe and Queen Mathilde.

I would think that the Duchess of Gloucester would know who Philippe and Mathilde are, even if they rarely see each other. If she didn't, then she would've still known that they are important people, since they have come on a state visit to meet HM. However I do think it was a little odd. If it was a case of forgetfulness, then how come she curtsied to Mathilde? :confused:

That doesn't make any sense, seeing as Birgitte was the last to greet Phillipe you're supposed to curtsey/bow upon meeting them else all three would have bowed/curtsied? whilst they were on their way over.

that does make sense. There is no rule that you have to curtsey only after greeting. You can always curtsey as the person approaches you.. The first eye contact, precisely. So there is every chance the duchess curtsied the king before greeting him, and the cameras missed it... The chance of her not curtseying is near-zero

And btw why did the queen say "richard and birgitte and michael".. The duke of kent is edward right? Not michael.. If it wasnt a joke/any other reason, i hope the press wont blow it out saying she is forgetting names or something like that..

Forgetting who they are? Are you serious?:lol:

No it was a joke.

I was surprised that the Queen didn´t seem to know that the royal couple went to parliament before cause she said to The King "Oh, you went to parliament!"

She could be feigning ignorance, something to get the conversation going. :lol:

that does make sense. There is no rule that you have to curtsey only after greeting. You can always curtsey as the person approaches you.. The first eye contact, precisely. So there is every chance the duchess curtsied the king before greeting him, and the cameras missed it... The chance of her not curtseying is near-zero

Actually it's not near-zero, as evidence by the video she curtsied to Mathilde after greeting her. From the appearance of the video Birgitte first eye contact with Philippe is when he's stood in front of her after speaking to The Duke of Kent and she doesn't curtsey.

I would think that the Duchess of Gloucester would know who Philippe and Mathilde are, even if they rarely see each other. If she didn't, then she would've still known that they are important people, since they have come on a state visit to meet HM. However I do think it was a little odd. If it was a case of forgetfulness, then how come she curtsied to Mathilde? :confused:

It was a joke hence the :lol:. It's not a state visit either.

And btw why did the queen say "richard and birgitte and michael".. The duke of kent is edward right? Not michael.. If it wasnt a joke/any other reason, i hope the press wont blow it out saying she is forgetting names or something like that..

You can't hear the last name, when writing I got confused with names and got the wrong Kent sibling.

Last edited:

No, she said "Richard and Birgitte and Edward". She mumbled "Edward" but it was definitely "Edward", not "Michael".

I believe she said Audie which is a nickname for Edward.

I think she introduced the Duke of Kent as "Eddie" which is his nickname within the family.
[In this article he is referred to as "Steady Eddie." http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...orge-Duke-of-Kent-and-his-tormented-lovechild]

This meeting seems a lot more formal than the visit from King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima who traveled to Windsor for tea in the Queen's TV room. Quite interesting that Richard, Birgitte and "Eddie" happened to be around. Was this meeting at Buckingham Palace?

Last edited:
I think she introduced the Duke of Kent as "Eddie" which is his nickname within the family.
[In this article he is referred to as "Steady Eddie." http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...orge-Duke-of-Kent-and-his-tormented-lovechild]

This meeting seems a lot more formal than the visit from King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima who traveled to Windsor for tea in the Queen's TV room. Quite interesting that Richard, Birgitte and "Eddie" happened to be around. Was this meeting at Buckingham Palace?

Yes, it was a Buckingham Palace. And this time the Queen hosted a luncheon, not just a tea. Does it means she has a closer relationship with the Dutch royals, hence the less informal meeting?! And the Duke of Edinburgh wasn't there, was he?

I too noticed the Duchess of Gloucester didn't curtsey to King Philippe...it's odd tbh, since did curtsey to Queen Mathilde.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Quite interesting that Richard, Birgitte and "Eddie" happened to be around. Was this meeting at Buckingham Palace?

They didn't happen to be around, they were invited. :flowers: Yes the meeting and lunch was at BP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom