British Royal Family Engagements 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I charted some of Iluvberties data in Excel. Thanks for the data Iluvbertie.

Here is what number of days on engagements looks like so far.
There is a lot of data here so bigger is better when you view it.

Absolutely brilliant graph there! :flowers:

What would be as equally interesting would be one showing the overall number of engagements by each member of the BRF over the past, say, 10 years, to see the upward/downward trend of each person over an extended period of time.

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant graph there! :flowers:

What would be as equally interesting would be one showing the overall number of engagements by each member of the BRF over the past, say, 10 years, to see the upward/downward trend of each person over an extended period of time.

I have school holidays coming up - and you have given me a job for that period - maybe.

I will be including my figures for all the family so there will be some who leave us and some who will be added through marriage and growing up to being included in lists etc (someone else can look up Mr O'Donovan's) but... there are times when the British Monarch website doesn't have the information as the days are gobbledygook or there are no entries even though we know there are events (Cepe helped me out regularly through February for instance this year when this was happening) so maybe the figures won't be complete but - fun to do anyway.

I made the first post at 9.50 here in Sydney and it is now 10.14 - I have spent the intervening time doing January 2000 and setting up the page for just year by year but an tempted to go month by month, each year - just adds to the number of lines.

I went back to 2000 so as to have a couple of years for The Queen Mum and Margaret. Of course Camilla will be added in 2005 and then Kate in 2011. I have also included a column for Angus Ogilvy as I have one these days for Tim.

In January 2000 for instance there were 111 engagements all up by the royals - a number on the 2nd/3rd that were church services for the millennium - so one offs. In January this year the total was 141.

Last edited:
I have school holidays coming up - and you have given me a job for that period - maybe.

I will be including my figures for all the family so there will be some who leave us and some who will be added through marriage and growing up to being included in lists etc (someone else can look up Mr O'Donovan's) but... there are times when the British Monarch website doesn't have the information as the days are gobbledygook or there are no entries even though we know there are events (Cepe helped me out regularly through February for instance this year when this was happening) so maybe the figures won't be complete but - fun to do anyway.

I made the first post at 9.50 here in Sydney and it is now 10.14 - I have spent the intervening time doing January 2000 and setting up the page for just year by year but an tempted to go month by month, each year - just adds to the number of lines.

I went back to 2000 so as to have a couple of years for The Queen Mum and Margaret. Of course Camilla will be added in 2005 and then Kate in 2011. I have also included a column for Angus Ogilvy as I have one these days for Tim.

In January 2000 for instance there were 111 engagements all up by the royals - a number on the 2nd/3rd that were church services for the millennium - so one offs. In January this year the total was 141.

That sounds brilliant. It will be interesting to see the gradual slowing down by the older royals, as well as the build up of engagements by Sophie and Camilla from when they joined the family.

Yesterday I did 2000 and found it interesting that for Sophie - in her first full year as a member of the royal family while also running her own business so working full-time she carried out 120 engagements while Edward, who was also working full-time for Ardent did 180.

I will post up the full numbers per royal for 2000 - but in a new thread with a year by year total for each royal and the aged they turned that year starting this afternoon when I get home from work.

Yesterday I did 2000 and found it interesting that for Sophie - in her first full year as a member of the royal family while also running her own business so working full-time she carried out 120 engagements while Edward, who was also working full-time for Ardent did 180.

I will post up the full numbers per royal for 2000 - but in a new thread with a year by year total for each royal and the aged they turned that year starting this afternoon when I get home from work.

That's good numbers for Edward and Sophie considering they were also working for their own businesses. How does this compare to Catherine's first year?

Weekly update to 10th April, 2014

A busy week with a State Visit and an overseas tour going on - 98 engagements in total.

As I know that there are people who will argue that I am not counting William and Catherine correctly I am including ALL references to them from the CC with the engagements I count in bold or why I don’t include something that is listed in the CC.

5th April 2014
KENSINGTON PALACE:

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this evening departed from Heathrow Airport, London, for New Zealand and Australia.
Sir David Manning, Mr. Miguel Head, Miss Rebecca Deacon and Dr. Edward Perkins are in attendance – not counted as an engagement as all they did was get on a plane – this is the same for all royals

7th April 2014
KENSINGTON PALACE:

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this morning arrived at Wellington International Airport, New Zealand, and were received by the Rt. Hon. John Key MP (Prime Minister) (1 engagement each)

9th April 2014
KENSINGTON PALACE:

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon attended a Royal New Zealand Plunket Society Tea Party at Government House, Wellington, New Zealand (1 engagement each)

10th April 2014
KENSINGTON PALACE:

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge today carried out the following engagements in New Zealand.
Their Royal Highnesses this morning laid a wreath at Blenheim War Memorial and Clock Tower.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon attended a World War One Commemoration and Flying Day at Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre, Blenheim.
Later His Royal Highness, on behalf of The Queen, held an Investiture at Government House, Wellington.
The Duke of Cambridge afterwards received the Hon. David Cunliffe MP (Leader of the Opposition) at Government House.
His Royal Highness subsequently received the Rt. Hon. John Key MP (Prime Minister of New Zealand).
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this evening attended a State Reception given by the Governor-General and Lady Mateparae at Government House (6 for William, 3 for Kate)

Total for the first 4 days – William 8 and Kate 5

HM The Queen - 107 (102 - up 5)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 66 (59 - up 7 - accompanied - 34)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 156 (145 - up 11)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 61 (57 - up 4 - accompanied - 28)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 18 (10 – up 8)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 10 (5 – up 5 - accompanied - 7)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 11 (10 – up 1)
HRH The Duke of York - 103 (97 – up 6)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 2 (2 – no change)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 79 (79 – no change)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 88 (88 – no change - accompanied - 28)
HRH The Princess Royal - 158 (138 - up 20)
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 28 (26 – up 2 - accompanied - 28)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 49 (43 – up 6)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 44 (33 – up 11 - accompanied - 7)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 52 (44 – up 8)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0 (0 - no change - accompanied - 0)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 3 (1 – up 2)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 2 (0 – up 2 - accompanied - 2)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 5 (5 – no change)

The 'league table'

HRH The Princess Royal - 158
HRH The Prince of Wales - 156
HM The Queen – 107
HRH The Duke of York - 103
HRH The Countess of Wessex – 88

HRH The Earl of Wessex - 79
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 66

HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 61
HRH The Duke of Kent – 52

HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 49
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester – 44

Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence – 28
HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 18

HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 11
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 10

HRH Princess Alexandra - 5
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 3
HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 2
HRH Princess Michael of Kent – 2

HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 0
HRH The Duchess of Kent – 0

Year to date total - 1042 (944 - up 98)

81.2% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.
The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 41.2%.
16.6% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
22.1% done by those 70 and above
67.5% are being done by those over 60.
45.4% were done by those in their 60s.
10.3% have been done by The Queen.
15.0% were done by Charles.
5.0% were done by Camilla
52.3% were done by those over retirement age
15.1%% were done by Anne

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 10th April, 2014

HM The Queen - 41
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 35
HRH The Prince of Wales - 52
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 31
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 10
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 7
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 9
HRH The Duke of York - 40
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 2
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 29
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 36
HRH The Princess Royal - 58
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 15
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 32
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 29
HRH The Duke of Kent - 34
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 3
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 2
HRH Princess Alexandra - 5

Last edited:
Types of Engagements

The type of engagement range is fairly consistent but no doubt there will be some new ones soon as the weather begins to pick up in the UK.

Audience - 26
Ballet - 0
Called Upon - 8
Ceremony - 6
Church Service - 17
Concert - 9
Conference - 19
Council Meeting - 2
Dinner - 87
Football - 1
Forum - 4
Funeral - 6
Investiture - 19
Launched - 8
Luncheon - 51
Meeting - 68
Met People - 17
Opened - 69
Other Events - 60
Other Sports - 13
Performance - 10
Polo - 0
Presented Awards - 20
Races – 7
Received - 157
Received by - 17
Reception - 101
Rugby - 4
Military Parade/Salute - 8
Seminar - 7
Tea - 5
Tennis - 6
Unveiled - 10
Viewed - 17
Visit - 238
Gala – 1
Visited by – 2
Toured - 4

Last edited:
Was Prince George listed in the CC? Should he get credit for 2 appearances?

Tim is listed only as accompanied. He was at Osborne House on March 28th as English Heritage Commissioner when Edward & Sophie visited, did he get credit for this?

Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence attends the opening of the 'Childhood at Osborne' project at The Swiss Cottage, Osborne House on the Isle of Wight.

George was not mentioned in the CC.

Tim also wasn't mentioned in the CC as attending the event on the 28th March - even though the pictures etc show him as present.

This has happened in the past as well - when Andrew was clearly seen at a reception at BP with the rest of the royal family but he wasn't credited with attending in the CC so he wasn't counted that day. Below is the full entry for the CC for the 28th March.

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
The Queen held an Investiture at Buckingham Palace this morning

CLARENCE HOUSE:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this morning visited the Edible Garden Show at Alexandra Palace, London N22, and were received by Wing Commander Michael Dudgeon (Vice Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London)

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
The Duke of York, Honorary Air Commodore, this morning took the salute at the disbandment parade of 12 and 617 Squadrons at Royal Air Force Lossiemouth and was received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Moray (Lieutenant Colonel Grenville Johnston).
His Royal Highness this afternoon opened the new Sports Pavilion in Hopeman, Moray

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
The Earl and Countess of Wessex this morning visited St. Mildred's Church, Whippingham, and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of the Isle of Wight (Major General Martin White).
Their Royal Highnesses later visited Queensgate Foundation Primary School, Beatrice Avenue, East Cowes.
The Earl and Countess of Wessex afterwards visited Osborne House, East Cowes, and subsequently attended the opening of the Childhood at Osborne project at the Swiss Cottage in the grounds

This is also, of course, the case with the York girls e.g. Eugenie a couple of weeks ago opened a hospital wing - no credit in the CC.

Fair or unfair - each person will have to make up their own minds but it is down to The Queen - and she says 'no' to George, Tim and the York girls

:previous:

I think the Cambridge tour is also showing the current weaknesses of the CC.

This one could be considered minor but their arrival in NZ was reported as follows:

KENSINGTON PALACE:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this morning arrived at Wellington International Airport, New Zealand, and were received by the Rt. Hon. John Key MP (Prime Minister)

Nothing about the ceremonial at the GG's redsidence, the inspection of the military - nothing. Pictures all over the world of those events but not in the court circular.

The other "error" was now the meeting between Prince William and the PM of Australia was reported.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge later received the Hon Anthony Abbott MP (Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of Australia) at Admiralty House, Sydney.

Actually she wasn't there, in the same way she didn't meet this the NZ PM or the Leader of the Opposition (NZ was reported correctly). All pictures of those three meetings only show William. The schedule for the day also indicated that it was William only.

And there are times when the information isn't even reported at all. Days are missing or a v late.

Neither of the 2 examples is earth shattering but it is a further indication that the current team aren't taking it seriously in my opinion.

And it also shows how hard Iluvbertie works at getting the information to this Forum.

The CC does often have people listed as attending events - who are scheduled to do so but then don't turn up - such as Kate and the visit to the PM where she was expected whereas she was not expected to meet the NZ PM and Leader of the Opposition.

Going back to 2003 - 9th November was the Remembrance Day commemoration and the Countess of Wessex is listed as having attended - now I am 100% positive she wasn't there (yes I know it is 11 years ago so how can I be so sure) - she was fighting for her life having given birth to Louise the day before.

There is also the incident in December 2012 when William is recorded as attending a military show but he didn't attend due to Kate's hospitalisation - the press reported that he didn't go but the CC had him attending.

Last year there was the reception at which all the royal family were listed as attending except Andrew but the pictures clearly show Andrew as attending.

It comes down to the fact that often the expected person/people are listed as attending even when they pull out at the last minute - usually due to health concerns which raises the question - why didn't Kate go and meet the Australian PM - is she ill and needing more rest to continue with the events, or has the CC just gotten into a rut of reporting them as doing everything together on this tour and slipped up?

Cepe - as you have the CC for Thursday could you sent that to me via PM as you have done with so many days this year as I won't be able to access it until at least Tuesday and possibly Wednesday here due to public holidays. Is Monday a public holiday in the UK as it is here?

I had really hoped that with the merge of the Press Offices, that the issues with the schedule and the circular would decrease. Sigh.

It's sad that people who do this as a labour of love take more care with it than with people for whom this is a job. :ermm:

I get that not every royal wants to be tracked, but here has to be better... something.

Cepe - as you have the CC for Thursday could you sent that to me via PM as you have done with so many days this year as I won't be able to access it until at least Tuesday and possibly Wednesday here due to public holidays. Is Monday a public holiday in the UK as it is here?

No problem. Yes it is but we have the papers. What I'll do is sent the latest to you each day (belt and braces!) right through till Wednesday - that way you'll have the info asap.

Thanks Cepe - makes it possible to do my weekly update later today.

Weekly update to 17th April, 2014

Overall a fairly average week for the total number of engagements – 90 for the week as most of the family are on their Easter Week break. One of the rare weeks when Charles has undertaken no engagements, particularly as Camilla did undertake a duty on her own.

HM The Queen - 119 (107 - up 12)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 74 (66 - up 8)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 156 (156 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 62 (61 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 45 (18 – up 27)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 36 (10 – up 26
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 11 (11 – no change)
HRH The Duke of York - 103 (103 – no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 82 (79 – up 3)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 89 (88 – up 1)
HRH The Princess Royal - 167 (158 - up 9)
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 29 (28 – up 1)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 54 (49 – up 5)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 44 (44 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 54 (52 – up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 3 (3 – no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 2 (2 – no change)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 6 (5 – up 1)

The 'league table'

HRH The Princess Royal - 167
HRH The Prince of Wales - 156
HM The Queen – 119
HRH The Countess of Wessex – 89

HRH The Earl of Wessex - 82
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 74

HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 62
HRH The Duke of Kent – 54

HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 49
HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 47

HRH The Duchess of Gloucester – 44
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 36
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence – 29
HRH Princess Alexandra - 6

Year to date total - 1132 (1042 - up 90)

77.4% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.
The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 44.2%.
17.0% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
22.2% done by those 70 and above
65.0% are being done by those over 60.
43.0% were done by those in their 60s.
10.5% have been done by The Queen.
13.7% were done by Charles.
5.4% were done by Camilla
50.4% were done by those over retirement age
14.7%% were done by Anne

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 17th April, 2014

HM The Queen - 45
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 39
HRH The Prince of Wales - 52
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 32
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 17
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 14
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 31
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 37
HRH The Princess Royal - 62
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 16
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 34
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 29
HRH The Duke of Kent - 35
HRH Princess Alexandra - 6

Types of Engagements

Audience - 30
Ballet - 0
Called Upon - 8
Ceremony - 7
Church Service - 20
Concert - 10
Conference - 20
Council Meeting - 3
Dinner - 90
Football - 1
Forum - 4
Funeral - 6
Investiture - 20
Launched - 8
Luncheon - 58
Meeting - 70
Met People - 21
Opened - 76
Other Events - 66
Other Sports - 17
Performance - 10
Polo - 0
Presented Awards - 21
Races – 7
Received - 166
Received by - 17
Reception - 106
Rugby - 4
Military Parade/Salute - 10
Seminar - 7
Tea - 5
Tennis - 6
Unveiled - 12
Viewed - 17
Visit - 263
Gala – 1
Visited by – 2
Toured - 4

The issue is clouded by the fact that the CC doesn't mention all the mail they receive or the preparations that go into the actual engagements. We all know that The Queen also does her boxes every day but that isn't in the CC. Charles also receives boxes daily to read but again that isn't mentioned anywhere.

Weekly update to 24th April, 2014

A slow week overall as is normal with Easter weekend in the middle. A total of 65 for the entire week. Interesting to note that, as usual the Easter church service at St George’s Chapel is NOT regarded as an official engagement. I think it is worth noting that not everything that is reported in the press is an official engagement.

It should also be note that when multiple events take place at one venue it is usually listed something like 'visited xxxx, before opening yyyy, meeting people followed by luncheon and viewing a performance' which is counted as one engagement.

HM The Queen - 119 (119 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 74 (74 – no change)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 160 (156 – up 4)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 62 (62 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 58 (45 – up 13)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 49 (36 – up 13)
HRH The Duke of York - 103 (103 – no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 90 (82 – up 8)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 94 (89 – up 5)
HRH The Princess Royal - 168 (167 - up 1)
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 30 (29 – up 1)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 65 (44 – up 11)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 45 (44 – up 1)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 55 (54 – up 1)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 7 (6 – up 1)

The 'league table'

HRH The Princess Royal - 168
HRH The Prince of Wales - 160
HM The Queen – 119
HRH The Countess of Wessex – 94

HRH The Earl of Wessex - 90
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 74

HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 65
HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 58

HRH The Duke of Kent – 55
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 49
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester – 45
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence – 30
HRH Princess Alexandra - 7

Year to date total - 1197 (1132 - up 65)

75.1% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.
The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 44.5%.
16.1% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
21.3% done by those 70 and above
63.4% are being done by those over 60.
42.4% were done by those in their 60s.
9.9% have been done by The Queen.
13.4% were done by Charles.
5.2% were done by Camilla
49.5% were done by those over retirement age
14.0%% were done by Anne

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 24th April, 2014

HM The Queen - 45
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 39
HRH The Prince of Wales - 54
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 32
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 22
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 19
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 33
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 38
HRH The Princess Royal - 63
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 17
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 36
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 30
HRH The Duke of Kent - 36
HRH Princess Alexandra - 7

Last edited:
Types of Engagements

The type of engagement range is fairly consistent but no doubt there will be some new ones soon as the weather begins to pick up in the UK.

Audience - 30
Ballet - 0
Called Upon - 8
Ceremony - 7
Church Service - 23
Concert - 10
Conference - 20
Council Meeting - 3
Dinner - 93
Football - 1
Forum - 4
Funeral - 6
Investiture - 20
Launched - 8
Luncheon – 59
Meeting - 77
Met People - 21
Opened - 80
Other Events - 68
Other Sports - 17
Performance - 10
Polo - 0
Presented Awards - 21
Races – 7
Received - 167
Received by - 17
Reception - 117
Rugby - 4
Military Parade/Salute - 10
Seminar - 7
Tea - 5
Tennis - 6
Unveiled - 12
Viewed - 17
Visit - 292
Gala – 1

Visited by – 2
Toured - 4

I really admire all the work here in this thread. I am really interested in Cambridge tour - is ti possible to summarize it? - how much engagements they carried and probably, which type of engagements - cause according to me it was a big funny trip, not really official hard-working tour, so maybe type of engagements would be more interesting than number.

When I have the final figures - Tuesday this week when I get the figures for 25th April I will be able to do that breakdown.

I will need to go back and see how many they had on the 6th April and work from there - I do have the information.

Later this week there will be the monthly update of type of engagements for each royal but I can do the breakdown by type for the tour.

It must be noted that sometimes an engagement is one engagement that can involve multiple activities e.g. visited a cultural centre where they opened a new display and then viewed a performance. That is one engagement but would be listed as three different types of engagements as to me they are doing different things - one is a count of total engagements while the other is to show the full range of activities being undertaken.

Thank you for all your work Bertie - I very much appreciate it.

Due to the saturation coverage of the Cambridge's tour I genuinely expected them to be a lot higher in the 'league' table this week due to the number of events they have carried out over the tour. I guess the other royals have been going on with business as usual for the last few weeks so although the Cambridge's numbers have risen so have the other members of the Royal Family (eg minor members of the family) who regularly carry out events.

Weekly update to 24th April, 2014
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 65 (44 – up 11)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 45 (44 – up 1)

The 'league table'

HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 65

The Duke of Gloucester's numbers are not adding up.

The Duke of Gloucester was on 54 not 44 - typo.

He is correct on 65 having done 11 during the last week - 6 on the 24th and 5 on the 23rd.

Thank you for all your work Bertie - I very much appreciate it.

Due to the saturation coverage of the Cambridge's tour I genuinely expected them to be a lot higher in the 'league' table this week due to the number of events they have carried out over the tour. I guess the other royals have been going on with business as usual for the last few weeks so although the Cambridge's numbers have risen so have the other members of the Royal Family (eg minor members of the family) who regularly carry out events.

There was saturation coverage but in reality they were only doing 2 or 3 engagements per day e.g. Sunday - they went to church and the zoo - 2 engagements but due to being overseas the coverage went for hours whereas all we normally get, if anything, is a 20 second grab during the news covering maybe 1 engagement that a person does at home.

I really admire all the work here in this thread. I am really interested in Cambridge tour - is ti possible to summarize it? - how much engagements they carried and probably, which type of engagements - cause according to me it was a big funny trip, not really official hard-working tour, so maybe type of engagements would be more interesting than number.

We actually can all go look at the Court Circular items - though as Iluvbertie attests, there are issues with updates and the search tool itself is finicky. In any case, it is interesting to see how things are summarized. Simply visit http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/CourtCircular/Todaysevents.aspx , select a royal and a date range.

For example: April 13
"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge today carried out the following engagements in New Zealand.
Their Royal Highnesses this morning attended the Holy Communion Service in the Cathedral Church of St. Paul, Dunedin.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge afterwards attended the Rippa Rugby Tournament at Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin.
Their Royal Highnesses this afternoon visited Amisfield Vineyard, Queenstown.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge later embarked in a jet boat and travelled on the Shotover River, Queenstown"
They travelled on the Shotover river. :lol: No mention of all the lines walked, the fact that the Duke invited school children he had missed on his last trip or any of the other things that eat up time and energy. The CC is what it is.

Last edited:
British Royals ‏@britishroyals 1h
Prince William held an Investiture at Government House in Canberra on April 25th before attending Anzac Day commemorations (Court Circular)

Weekly update to 1st May, 2014

Quite a busy week with 110 engagements carried out in total and both The Queen and Philip having a very busy two days in Wales – The Queen did 16 and Philip 12 over those two days. Charles had a quiet week, while Edward and Anne were their usual busy selves. Princess Alexandra has been overseas for the last couple of days.

HM The Queen - 137 (119 – up 18)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 87 (74 – up 13)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 162 (160 – up 4)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 62 (62 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 60 (58 – up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 50 (49 – up 1)
HRH The Duke of York - 106 (103 – up 3)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 109 (90 – up 19)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 107 (94 – up 13)
HRH The Princess Royal - 181 (168 - up 13)
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 31 (30 – up 1)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 76 (65 – up 11)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 52 (45 – up 7)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 57 (55 – up 2)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 12 (7 – up 5)

The 'league table'

HRH The Princess Royal - 181
HRH The Prince of Wales - 162
HM The Queen – 137
HRH The Earl of Wessex – 109
HRH The Countess of Wessex – 107
HRH The Duke of York - 106
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 87
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 76
HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 60
HRH The Duke of Kent – 57
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester – 52
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 50
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence – 31
HRH Princess Alexandra - 12

Year to date total - 1307 (1197 - up 110)

75.1% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.
The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 43.5%.
17.1% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
22.4% done by those 70 and above
63.6% are being done by those over 60.
41.7% were done by those in their 60s.
10.5% have been done by The Queen.
12.4% were done by Charles.
4.7% were done by Camilla
49.7% were done by those over retirement age
13.8%% were done by Anne

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 1st May, 2014

HM The Queen - 48
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 42
HRH The Prince of Wales - 55