British Royal Family Engagements 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Types of Engagements

Audience - 60
Ballet - 0
Called Upon - 11
Ceremony - 57
Church Service - 82
Concert - 25
Conference – 38
Council Meeting - 7
Dinner - 198
Football - 5
Forum - 9
Funeral - 6
Investiture - 43
Launched - 15
Luncheon – 128
Meeting - 159
Met People - 77
Opened - 184
Other Events - 249
Other Sports - 67
Performance - 23
Polo - 1
Presented Awards - 33
Races – 25
Received - 321
Received by - 64
Reception - 288
Rugby - 6
Military Parade/Salute - 85
Seminar - 7
Tea - 13
Tennis - 17
Unveiled - 28
Viewed - 53
Visit - 694
Gala – 2
Visited by – 3
Toured - 29

august is a holiday month for both national and local government; schools and universities are closed; majority of manufacturers shut down for at least a fortnight. Not practical to organise visits etc.

Never mind the royals, other public sector officals and organisations need a break!!

As always, your stats are incredibly impressive and I'm always thankful for the amount of work you put into them. Thank you.

Weekly update to 14th August, 2014

This was a very slow week with most of the royal family on holidays. A total of 6 engagements were carried out with the Queen doing 2 at Balmoral and one each to Philip, Charles, Camilla and Harry. I expect these sorts of figures to continue until the end of August as the FE had no engagements listed until the 31st August but...it also didn't mention the engagements for anyone other than Philip during this past week.

Thanks again Cepe for filling in the gaps that the British Royal Family PR department are failing to give such as updating the CC every day on the website. This has been a recurring situation this year and shows that the merging of press offices or someone else in their is definitely failing in their job and that they don't really care. I wonder whether they are trying to stop the sort of analysis I am doing on a week-by-week basis rather than just tolerating Mr O'Donovan's annual count.

HM The Queen - 345 (343 – up 2)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 223 (222 – up 1)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 369 (368 – up 1)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 158 (157 – up 1)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 102 (102 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 78 (78 – no change)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 66 (65 – up 1)
HRH The Duke of York – 218 (218 – no change)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 3 (3 – no change)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 2 (2 – no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 264 (264 – no change)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 228 (228 – no change)
HRH The Princess Royal - 315 (315 – no change)
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 50 (50 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 162 (162 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 97 (97 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Kent – 124 (124 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 6 (6 – no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 5 (5 – no change)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 54 (54 – no change)

The 'league table'

HRH The Prince of Wales - 369
HM The Queen – 345

HRH The Princess Royal - 315
HRH The Earl of Wessex – 264
HRH The Countess of Wessex – 228
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 223

HRH The Duke of York – 218
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 162
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 158
HRH The Duke of Kent – 124

HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 102
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester – 97
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 78
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 66
HRH Princess Alexandra - 54
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence – 50
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 6
HRH Princess Michael of Kent – 5

HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 3
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 2
HRH The Duchess of Kent – 0

Year to date total - 2870 (2864 - up 6)

75.6% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.
46.7% done by the main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry)
19.8% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
26.0% done by those 70 and above
64.8% are being done by those over 60.
40.2% were done by those in their 60s.
12.0% have been done by The Queen.
12.9% were done by Charles.
5.5% were done by Camilla
53.7% were done by those over retirement age
11.0% were done by Anne

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 14th August, 2014

HM The Queen - 105
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 95
HRH The Prince of Wales - 119
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 69
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 48
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 34
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 36
HRH The Duke of York - 85
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 3
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 2
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 97
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 86
HRH The Princess Royal - 117
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 30
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 80
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 59
HRH The Duke of Kent - 79
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 6
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 5
HRH Princess Alexandra - 39

Types of Engagements

Audience - 61
Ballet - 0
Called Upon - 11
Ceremony - 57
Church Service - 82
Concert - 25
Conference – 38

Council Meeting - 7
Dinner - 198
Football - 5
Forum - 9
Funeral - 6
Investiture - 43
Launched - 15
Luncheon – 128

Meeting - 159
Met People - 77
Opened - 184
Other Events - 249
Other Sports - 67
Performance - 23
Polo - 1
Presented Awards - 33
Races – 25
Received - 322
Received by - 64
Reception - 289
Rugby - 6
Military Parade/Salute - 85
Seminar - 7
Tea - 13
Tennis - 17
Unveiled - 28
Viewed - 53
Visit - 697
Gala – 2

Visited by – 3
Toured - 29

Bertie, I think you said that you'd tried to contact them (or am I making that up?), but has anyone from the UK tried? It might be that they've really just dropped the ball on this this year and didn't respond to you since you're one of those horrid Aussie republicans. ;)

I have tried a couple of times using the 'Contact' tab on the website and have received no reply - not even an automated 'received reply'.

I do think they have simply dropped the ball this year.

That's really odd. You'd think you'd at least get an automated reply.

It seems to me like Charles' team isn't great when it comes to keeping the Wales/Cambridge website up to date. I would suspect that this failure has simply carried over to the main site now that Charles' team is in charge overall. It almost makes me wonder how technologically challenged they are.

I've long said the team at the palace PR department needs to straighten up and fly right. It's a shame that they haven't got their acts together. I've noticed that William & Catherine and Harry's official engagements in the list had disappeared too.

I think that Cepe has been doing quite a bit to help out here too and she's in the UK.

Maybe someone should write to the papers and whomever keeps track of this stuff and let them know there's someone that's really on the ball here. :D

I'd like to see Iluvbertie's (and Cepe's) work that they do really appreciated.

I would really like people to realise that without Cepe's help this year the record simply couldn't be kept as there many, many days that the British monarchy website simply has never updated for the CC.

In past years it has been a day here and there. My recollection is about 3 days in 2012 and they did update but it was just gobbledy-gook but this year it has been averaging a day a week with no update and some weeks almost every day is missing.

At first we thought it was just a glitch to the change in PR but not it is reaching the levels where if this was a company that had to sell its products it would fail abysmally.

Thank you to both Iluvberte and Cepe for the work you do for this thread. It is very much appreciated. I look forward to the weekend updates.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Thank you all for the "thank-yous".

Iluvbertie is right in that the CC on the Royal website is been bad at updating this yr. The reason I have been able to help out is that I subscribe to The Times. So to me, the problem is worse. The information is going to the Times but fails to make it to the Royal website and I am paying to get that information ( that isnt the reason we subscribe btw).

The Times isnt fool proof either. A few days have disappeared, probably because of coding errors.

As for writing, I have tweeted both CH and Majesty and got no reply. I know of royal bloggers, including one who is "recognised" and on the press release list, who have written but there is no response.

Happy to help and Iluvbertie's detailed analysis is unique. Great job!

I have just done a check of the CC and according to that, since the 14th August there have been no engagements this week.

I don't count Divine Service as there is no listing of who attended and it is only recorded at Sandringham and Balmoral but The Queen attends Divine Service on many other occasions. (17th August)

The only other thing in the CC this past week was the recognition of Princess Anne's birthday (15th August).

At first we thought it was just a glitch to the change in PR but not it is reaching the levels where if this was a company that had to sell its products it would fail abysmally.

Iluvbertie - this conclusion made me giggle. When do the Scots vote? :whistling:

How can people who can keep track of whom in a group of 50 people enters a room in what order, what hat and gloves were worn to which event over years and checks place settings down to the millimeter before a state dinner allow this haphazard accounting of their efforts on behalf of the country and people?

It boggles the mind (and really grates on my compulsive obsessive personality). :bang:

Iluvbertie - this conclusion made me giggle. When do the Scots vote? :whistling:

How can people who can keep track of whom in a group of 50 people enters a room in what order, what hat and gloves were worn to which event over years and checks place settings down to the millimeter before a state dinner allow this haphazard accounting of their efforts on behalf of the country and people?

It boggles the mind (and really grates on my compulsive obsessive personality). :bang:

The thing there is that it's not a universal thing. They're still doing the CC and it's still being published weekly in British newspapers. That means that all they're failing at is keeping the website up to date, not the CC itself.

Fortunately it is still going out each day to The Times and The Telegraph but, for me in Australia, 6 pounds a week to subscribe is over the top when all I would want is the CC. The rest of the British news I may be interested in is in the DM or the Express and they are free, at the moment.

The thing there is that it's not a universal thing. They're still doing the CC and it's still being published weekly in British newspapers. That means that all they're failing at is keeping the website up to date, not the CC itself.

Ish - I agree. But it is a bit like me doing my tax returns and not mailing them. Internal revenue would not be amused by my lack of due diligence.
It is not as if, at this point in the history of the net, there are not a lot of people who understand how to insert info on web pages. My 8 year old neighbor can do it... I wonder if James or Louise have any free time? :whistling:;)

Under the heading Court Circular, the Times is reporting that there is no CC at the moment. nothing since Divine service on Sunday.

I also subscribe to the Telegraph and I cant find the CC online at all. So for me its either The Times or the Royal website.

I suspect that that is the case this week. Other than Beatrice, who doesn't get individual credit in the CC anyway, there has been nothing reported in the press and it is not unusual for The Queen to only have one or two engagements for the whole of August (one year she did none in August officially at all).

Weekly update to 21st August, 2014

As I said yesterday, the CC has only two things in the last week, from the 15th - 21st August - the Divine Service and Princess Anne's birthday. Neither of these are official engagements in my count and so this week is the very rare 'no change' for all members of the family.

And before anyone mentions Beatrice and her opening at the hospital - she simply doesn't count as her events aren't listed in the CC.

HM The Queen - 345 (345 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 223 (223 – no change)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 369 (369 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 158 (158 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 102 (102 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 78 (78 – no change)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 66 (66 – no change)
HRH The Duke of York – 218 (218 – no change)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 3 (3 – no change)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 2 (2 – no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 264 (264 – no change)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 228 (228 – no change)
HRH The Princess Royal - 315 (315 – no change)
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 50 (50 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 162 (162 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 97 (97 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Kent – 124 (124 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 6 (6 – no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 5 (5 – no change)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 54 (54 – no change)

Does anyone else ever feel bad for Beatrice and her not counting?

The things that don't count for Harry are things like charity polo matches - but they don't count for anyone.

If Harry opened something like a hospital equipment then it would count.

I think some of the "fun" engagements for anyone don't count, and if memory serves some of the working engagements for the royals who don't want to be working royals (The Michaels, Eugenie, and the Duchess of Kent come to mind, but I hope Bertie will correct me if I'm wrong on this).

The thing about Beatrice is she seems to want to be a working royal and yet doesn't get credit for the real work stuff she does most of the time. That makes me feel bad for her.

The Michael's of Kent also don't count - e.g. Michael was at the Chelsea Hospital for the commemorations of WWI but that wasn't counted as an official engagement for him - while everyone else who went somewhere was credited in the CC.

The Duchess of Kent only attends a couple of events with her husband these days - and this year has done nothing official at all. If she did do something she would probably get the credit as she used to do so before she asked to retire from official public life.

The things that don't count for Harry are things like charity polo matches - but they don't count for anyone.

If Harry opened something like a hospital equipment then it would count.

Iluvbertie: I was waiting for someone to mention this - Polo. For some reason (who knows, it was months ago) I was looking at archived CC's during the time when the POW and PD were married and together. Anyway, I was amazed at the number of polo matches for the POW in the CC at that time.
I promise to go and try to find that info again - because it was striking. But don't trust my word until I find it. I love a good reason to research.

This year Charles has had one polo event count while all the other polo games have been personal events, even if for charity. In the past I think Charles did more polo appearances and so they counted more but William and Harry's polo games don't.

I wonder if that's a ratio thing...

If you get 600 engagements done, you're allowed to take credit for a few polo matches, but if your numbers are less you don't. The more "work" things you do the more official "fun" things you get to do.

I don't think so considering that 'white-water rafting' and 'wine-tasting' were both counted for William and Kate in NZ - both fun things and they aren't actually setting the world alight with the number of engagements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom