The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-03-2015, 12:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

How, at 88, the Queen has stepped up her workload and left Duchess of Cambridge trailing-
2015 sees the Queen breaking records and all eyes on the next royal birth | Royal | News | Daily Express

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Dates missing from Court Circular – 2014 – according to British Monarchy Website

I have checked that there is still nothing up for these dates. There were many days that I needed during the year that are now appearing on the website – interestingly. Any date given here is for dates on which Cepe has sent me the information from The Times.

January – There were some dates initially but they are now up – interesting.

February 13th, 19th,and 27th (total number of engagements on these three days) Elizabeth 6; Philip 4; Charles 19; Camilla 7; William 1; Harry 1; Andrew 1; Edward A 7; Sophie 6; Anne 13; Tim 3; Birgitte 2; Edward B 4

March – 1st, 2nd and 3rd Philip 1; Andrew 1; Edward A 10; Sophie 11; Birgitte 2; Edward B 1

April – 14th, 15th and 17th Elizabeth 7; Philip 6; Camilla 1; William 11; Kate 11; Edward A 5; Sophie 1; Anne 7; Tim 1; Richard 5

May – 24th Edward A 2; Sophie 3; Richard 3; Edward B 1

Very interesting here – the 24th May on the website has an event for Charles but…nothing for anyone else but The Times has events for other members of the family as above and I have checked the dates either side – 23rd for instance – which has nothing in the CC so maybe my 24th should read 23rd but…either way it is another error by the British monarchy website.

June – 3rd Elizabeth 5; Philip 1; Charles 1; Camilla 1; Andrew 6; Edward A 2; Sophie 1; Anne 2; Richard 4; Edward B 1; Alexandra 1

July – 7th Charles 3; Edward A 4; Anne 3

August – 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 11th and 14th Elizabeth 3; Philip 7; Charles 3; Camilla 1; William 1; Kate 1; Harry 1; Andrew 1; Edward A 6; Sophie 2; Anne 1; Tim 1

September – 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th, 11th, 19th, 20th, 26th, 28th and 30thElizabeth 1; Philip 1; Charles 9; Camilla 1; William 7; Harry 1; Andrew 8; Edward A 10; Sophie 7; Anne 14; Richard 6; Birgitte 5; Edward B 1; Alexandra 2

October – 22nd Elizabeth 3; Philip 1; Charles 3; Andrew 4; Sophie 4; Anne 4; Richard 1; Birgitte 1; Alexandra 1

November – Like January – many dates not up originally but they are now.

December – 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th and 14th Philip 1; Charles 10; Camilla 2; William 6; Kate 3; Harry 2; Andrew 9; Edward A 3; Sophie 1; Anne 5

Had I not had the help provided by Cepe the royals would have missed the following number of engagements:

Elizabeth 25; Philip 22; Charles 48; Camilla 13; William 26; Kate 15; Harry 5; Andrew 30; Edward A 49; Sophie 36; Anne 49; Tim 5; Richard 19; Birgitte 10; Edward B 8; Alexandra 4.

That is 35 days out of 365 (9.5%) still not up from 2014 and that is less than half of those that I needed help for in the week of the events.
Wow that is a significant number that is missing.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Heir Apparent

To Iluvbertie re post #319

Re your missing day 24th May - those events took place on 23rd. Charles was the only one with an engagement on the 24th (Patron , Music in Churches).

I can't find 29/5 on the Royal website - 19 engagements by my reckoning

This was the day that William and Catherine were in Scotland and did 4 engagements and Harry was in Suffolk.

I really hope that they sort themselves out.

Happy to carry on helping if I can - it's great you do this.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-03-2015, 07:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

I must have deleted the PM about the 29th May before saving it to my word document as I have the details in the excel file. I suspect that the other dates is a confusion between their dates and The Times dates because, again, I have both dates in the file. Hopefully they will get their act together better this year.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Does anyone know when the BRF began to really increase their number of engagements? From reading an old article from 1983, the Queen was the top engagement achiever with 259. Today that would be considered middle of the pack. Diana and the Queen Mother were nearly tied at 110 and 117 respectively. The DoE was in the high 100's. I've gotten the impression that this year's part-timer numbers would have been considered average back then.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Does anyone know when the BRF began to really increase their number of engagements? From reading an old article from 1983, the Queen was the top engagement achiever with 259. Today that would be considered middle of the pack. Diana and the Queen Mother were nearly tied at 110 and 117 respectively. The DoE was in the high 100's. I've gotten the impression that this year's part-timer numbers would have been considered average back then.
I would say in 1984:

1980 - 1593
1981 - 1789
1982 - 1902
1983 - 1870
1984 - 3017

That yr saw a huge increase by HMQ, DoE, PoW and Princess Anne. But there is a caveat. Prior to 1984, Mr O'Donovan did not include number of engagements abroad. The engagements abroad in 1984 are estimated at c. 900. What he counts has evolved over the years.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Serene Highness

It would be interesting to know if the RF really upped their game that much or if the way of counting engagements changed?
By that I mean its hard to use those figures as a direct comparison if we don't know that they were counted in the same way.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I cant give you a full picture because the data is in a box waiting to be unpacked!

UK only though for some of the years.

1980 - 1593
1990 - 2946
2012 - 3536 (Jubilee)
2013 - 2886

But you are still not comparing like with like. You have to think about who was available to undertake engagements (including their health etc.) as well as what that year signified (hence to massive number in 2012)

The BRF are not the sole driver of the number of public events. Demands from Government particularly Foreign Office; requests by Commonwealth Countries; elections; anniversaries; charities funding plans - lots of different things.

And this does not reflect everything they do.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

OMGosh Cepe I had no idea that you had physical aka paper data. Wow. Hats off to you and ILuvBertie for your work.

Also thank you for answering my earlier question.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
OMGosh Cepe I had no idea that you had physical aka paper data. Wow. Hats off to you and ILuvBertie for your work.

Also thank you for answering my earlier question.
You are very kind. Iluvbertie does a lot of work and the figures I've quoted are Mr O'Donovan's.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Taking Cepe's point a bit further - who was undertaking engagements in say 1980?

The Queen, Philip, The Queen Mum, Charles, Anne, Margaret, Richard, Birgitte, Alice, Edward, Katherine and Alexandra - so 12 but two of them were around the 80 years old mark, Anne was a newish mum (Peter was 3), Charles was like William now - starting his build up of work and the others were the supporting cast. Remember that Andrew was just starting his naval career and Edward was still at school. There are now 15, Birgitte and Katherine and these last two both still had smallish children as well - similar to Sophie and married to men much lower in the line of succession even than Sophie was in say 2002. The Dukes of Gloucester and Kent were also only 5 - 6 years into their royal working lives so still building up their base.

The increase in numbers of available royals, the marriages of Charles and Andrew, the increase in time to build up causes really happened for the Queen's older children in the 1980s (sure Anne had Save the Children from the 70s and Charles had The Princes' Trust) but their wider interests were still to being built.

Think of the 80s as the time where William, Kate and Harry are now - starting out - but for more than just 3 royals - Charles, Anne, Richard and Edward in 1980 had smaller base to work from so fewer calls on them even compared to today.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Without a death in the family that opens up a large number of patronages, like in 2002 with PM and QEQM dying, it's going to take several years to build up the patronage numbers. Take W,H& K- they are adding 3 or 4 a year.

In the near future, there will be a massive influx of open patronages when Philip and the Queen die and Charles ascends. The new King and Queen will pick up some but a lot will fall to W,H & K. Look at the Colonels of the Guards Regiments- the Grenadiers opens with Philip's passing, the Welsh opens with the ascension. William probably moves over to the Welsh opening the Irish and the Duke of Kent with the Scots also opens sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-22-2015, 07:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Without a death in the family that opens up a large number of patronages, like in 2002 with PM and QEQM dying, it's going to take several years to build up the patronage numbers. Take W,H& K- they are adding 3 or 4 a year.

In the near future, there will be a massive influx of open patronages when Philip and the Queen die and Charles ascends. The new King and Queen will pick up some but a lot will fall to W,H & K. Look at the Colonels of the Guards Regiments- the Grenadiers opens with Philip's passing, the Welsh opens with the ascension. William probably moves over to the Welsh opening the Irish and the Duke of Kent with the Scots also opens sooner than later.
This is an interesting point. When Charles becomes King, is he likely to take of most of his parents patronages on top of has current ones, or hand some of his current ones over to the next generation? There must be a limit to how much of a role a royal can play in the organisations and charities they are affiliated to when it becomes several hundred!