Annual Engagements by Members of the Royal Family 2011-2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Weekly update to 5th December

A bit busier this week, especially as many positions were changing hands so a lot of 'received xxxx on relinquishing his/her position as yyyy' followed by 'received zzzz on assuming his/her position as yyyy'. These make up quite a bit of The Queen's, Charles and even Andrew's engagements this week although they were also out and about.

HM The Queen - 378 (361 - up 17)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 201 (194 - up 7 - accompanied 91)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 558 (536 - up 12)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 255 (248 - up 7 - accompanied 118)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 60 (52 - up 8)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 41 (39 - up 2 - accompanied 24)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 57 (57 - no change)
HRH The Duke of York - 352 (338 - up 14)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 9 (8 - up 1)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 5 (5 - no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 334 (333 - up 1)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 228 (228 - no change - accompanied 81)
HRH The Princess Royal - 457 (445 - up 12)
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 30 (28 - up 2 - accompanied 30)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 220 (218 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 132 (126 - up 6 - accompanied 33)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 204 (200 - up 4)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 2 (2 - no change - accompanied 2)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 7 (7 - up 2)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 6 (6 - no change - accompanied 5)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 22 (21 - up 1)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list. I do move people around who have moved up or down but I am not putting in how many places they are moving - although usually it is only one place in either direction.

HRH The Prince of Wales - 558
HRH The Princess Royal - 457
HM The Queen – 378
HRH The Duke of York - 352
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 334
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 255
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 228
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 220
HRH The Duke of Kent - 204
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 201
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 132
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 60
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 57
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 41
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 30
HRH Princess Alexandra - 22
HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 9
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 7
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 6
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 5
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 2

Year to date total - 3558 (3452 - up 106)

78.5% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.
The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 43.5%.
16.3% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
22.7% done by those 70 and above
68.6% are being done by those over 60.
46.2% were done by those in their 60s.
10.6% have been done by The Queen.
15.7% were done by Charles.
7.2% were done by Camilla

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 5th December

HM The Queen - 124
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 96
HRH The Prince of Wales - 159
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 104
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 39
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 31
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 31
HRH The Duke of York - 123
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 9
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 134
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 103
HRH The Princess Royal - 174
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 24
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 126
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 92
HRH The Duke of Kent - 107
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 7
HRH Princess Alexandra - 17

Weekly update to 12th December

Another week with over 100 engagements between the family members with Anne and Charles leading the way. One thing I noticed in the CC on Thursday was: The Duchess of Gloucester, representing The Duke of Gloucester, Joint President, Cancer Research UK, this evening attended a Concert of Christmas Carols and Readings in Glasgow Cathedral. Now I am wondering if something has happened to the Duke and we haven't been told about it. He was carrying out duties as recently as the Military Tournament event last weekend.

HM The Queen - 394 (378 - up 16)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 202 (201 - up 1)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 575 (558 - up 17)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 262 (255 - up 7)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 66 (60 - up 6)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 46 (41 - up 5)
HRH The Duke of York - 364 (352 - up 12)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 9 (9 - up 1)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 338 (334 - up 4)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 233 (228 - up 5)
HRH The Princess Royal - 476 (457 - up 19)
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 32 (30 - up 2)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 222 (220 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 140 (132 - up 8)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 206 (204 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 2 (2 - no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 7 (7 - no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 6 (6 - no change)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 25 (22 - up 3)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list. I do move people around who have moved up or down but I am not putting in how many places they are moving - although usually it is only one place in either direction.

HRH The Prince of Wales - 575
HRH The Princess Royal - 476
HM The Queen – 394
HRH The Duke of York - 364
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 338
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 262
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 233
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 222
HRH The Duke of Kent - 206
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 202
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 140
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 66
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 44
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 32
HRH Princess Alexandra - 25

Year to date total - 3665 (3558 - up 107)

78.4% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.
The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 43.6%.
16.3% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
22.6% done by those 70 and above
68.7% are being done by those over 60.
46.4% were done by those in their 60s.
10.7% have been done by The Queen.
15.7% were done by Charles.
7.1% were done by Camilla

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 12th December

HM The Queen - 127
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 97
HRH The Prince of Wales - 164
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 107
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 44
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 34
HRH The Duke of York - 128
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 137
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 108
HRH The Princess Royal - 178
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 25
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 128
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 96
HRH The Duke of Kent - 108
HRH Princess Alexandra - 19

I think that "+Artic trek" should be added to Harry's engagements at the end of the year. It is for charity, after all.

Well, there is what we think and feel and there is what is official.

I do think a day at 27 below skiing with wounded veterans and raising interest/money for charity should count as much as a "met with," but it does not. I get that and don't think Iluvbertie should change a thing. The Queen's staff decides these things.

Question, though for Iluvbertie: did this:
"His Royal Highness this afternoon departed from Heathrow Airport, London, for Qatar.
Mrs. Amanda Thirsk is in attendance"
count as an engagement in the total? Is a CC listing of an airport departure/arrival counted as its own engagement when it leads to a diplomatic event? Thank you.

I don't count the 'departed from Heathrow Airport ...' but do count the 'was received by xxxxx on arrival at ..... airport' because there is an official aspect to that arrival - someone has gone to the trouble of arranging to met the visiting royal officially.

I also count it when a BRF member mets someone at a British airport.

There has to be some sort of action other than getting on a plane.

So Andrew's departure wasn't counted, and nor was his arrival in Qatar or vice versa as there was no official met and greet at the airport. Sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't with the overseas trips.

I don't count the 'departed from Heathrow Airport ...' but do count the 'was received by xxxxx on arrival at ..... airport' because there is an official aspect to that arrival - someone has gone to the trouble of arranging to met the visiting royal officially.

I also count it when a BRF member mets someone at a British airport.

There has to be some sort of action other than getting on a plane.

So Andrew's departure wasn't counted, and nor was his arrival in Qatar or vice versa as there was no official met and greet at the airport. Sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't with the overseas trips.

Thanks so much - you do it exactly the way I would and seems fair. You are a wonder!

I am in the process of setting up the spreadsheet for next year and am wondering if there is anything else I can do - I have tried to do an analysis by type of engagement but due to losing my original spreadsheet (can't happen now as it is saved to my dropbox) I stopped that this year but am wondering if I should try again next year. That would need almost a spreadsheet per person but not impossible. I will also give a total for each major home when I do my final total for the year.

I think you do enough, which I appreciate v much (as do others). Many thanks

I am in the process of setting up the spreadsheet for next year and am wondering if there is anything else I can do - I have tried to do an analysis by type of engagement but due to losing my original spreadsheet (can't happen now as it is saved to my dropbox) I stopped that this year but am wondering if I should try again next year. That would need almost a spreadsheet per person but not impossible. I will also give a total for each major home when I do my final total for the year.

While I agree that you do more than enough now - and appreciate that you do it - it would be interesting to see the statistics regarding the various types of engagements as well as those involving the numbers at various places.

I don't know if it's reported in the CC, but it would be interesting to see how much actual time is spent on engagements.

Time spent on engagements isn't recorded - some are less than an hour while others can be an all day event.

Well - there is one other thing that is reported and that is where the event is. Perhaps just by England,N Ireland (who miss out a lot) Scotland and Wales and then other countries. But this is turning into a topsy project- it just growed and growed and growed :flowers: ;)

I didn't think it would be recorded in the CC - and wouldn't expect anyone to track it down. I just figured that on the off chance it was, it would be interesting to see how much time various royals actually spend on the engagements. We know that, for example, Charles does about 600 engagements a year, but if each engagement is on average 2 hours long, that's only 1200 official working hours a year. It could change some of the perspectives we have of them.

Once again though, I'm totally not asking or expecting you (or anyone else) to provide that info, especially as it's not recorded on the CC. You do an amazing job at this as it is.

Well - there is one other thing that is reported and that is where the event is. Perhaps just by England,N Ireland (who miss out a lot) Scotland and Wales and then other countries. But this is turning into a topsy project- it just growed and growed and growed :flowers: ;)

Projects like this have a tendency to expand as you think of more things that could be added.

I didn't think it would be recorded in the CC - and wouldn't expect anyone to track it down. I just figured that on the off chance it was, it would be interesting to see how much time various royals actually spend on the engagements. We know that, for example, Charles does about 600 engagements a year, but if each engagement is on average 2 hours long, that's only 1200 official working hours a year. It could change some of the perspectives we have of them.

Once again though, I'm totally not asking or expecting you (or anyone else) to provide that info, especially as it's not recorded on the CC. You do an amazing job at this as it is.

Sorry Ish but that would only be 1200 recorded hours of PUBLIC engagements, which is not an indication of actual working time. So it would also be misleading.

They even give exact addresses for many events but I only record those held in the homes as there are multiple events in those over the year whereas most of the others may only get one or two.

I want to see an analysis by type of engagement
But I don't think about such types as speech, dinner or opening
I want to know degree of royals' interchangeability, so I see such types:
1) only a monarch does (PM, Ambassadors, etc.)
2) on behalf of The Queen/represented The Queen (Investitures, state funerals, etc.)
3) Patron/President/Chairman/Fellow/Trustee, etc.
4) Colonel-in-Chief/Admiral/Colonel, etc.
5) meetings with politics/representatives/foreign royals, etc.
6) other (openings, visiting different areas, garden parties, etc.)
7) royal family (Trooping of Colours, Order of the Garter, state dinners, etc.)

Last edited:
2) on behalf of The Queen/represented The Queen (Investitures, state funerals, etc.)

good grief! :eek: :lol:

Only done by The Queen - Privy Council meeting
Meetings with PM - The Queen, Charles and William officially - all unofficially
Ambassadors - anyone The Queen appoints - often not a member of the royal family but simply a senior member of her staff
Patron/President/Chairman/Fellow/Trustee etc - all members of the royal family have this role regarding a number of organisations - literally 1000s of them - The Queen is Patron for instance of over 800 but doesn't do something official for all of them every year
Colonel-in-Chief/Admiral/Colonel - all except Kate, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie
Meetings with politics/representatives/foreign royals - all of them - some official and a lot not
Other - all of them
Royal events - all of them

Regarding Harry - he does have honorary military appointments (just for the record). From website:-

In August 2006, The Queen appointed new Royal Commodores of various Royal Navy Commands in recognition of the strong links between the Royal Navy and the Royal Family.

Prince Harry was appointed Commodore-in-Chief of Small Ships and Diving.

In October 2008, The Queen appointed new Royal Air Force honorary appointments in recognition of the strong links between the Royal Air Force and the Royal Family. Prince Harry was appointed Honorary Air Commandant of Royal Air Force Honington.

Only done by The Queen - Privy Council meeting
Meetings with PM - The Queen, Charles and William officially - all unofficially...
I know who is who
you didn't understand me
forget

I know who is who
you didn't understand me
forget

I understood but decided to give a simple answer to a very complex analysis.

You want to know who does what when so when I give a weekly update you want to see:

The Queen - 3 visits, 5 received ambassadors, 2 received special address, 6 opened buildings
Philip - 10 visits - 4 to a patronage and the patronage, 3 to a regiment of which he is colonel-in-chief, 2 to events, etc with precise details - so a detailed summary of the CC rather than the more simplistic summary I do now.

That sort of analysis would require this to be my full-time job and I simply don't have the time.

Some of your list can be done by any royal at all and some even by non-royals - so do we include the 'xxxxx represented The Queen as yyyy' even though 'xxxx' isn't a royal?

My reply showed you that most of the royals do the full range of activities with the limitations also shown such as The Queen only attending Privy Council meetings but other senior royals meeting with the PM but even non-royals formally meeting or farewelling ambassadors.

I notice that you have garden parties as an 'other' when they are events at which multiple royals attend and even the non-working royals get a mention if they attend these.

Some of that information will be added but not, I suspect in the detail you would like. The new breakdown will include - The Queen 4 visits, 2 opened, 6 audiences, 3 meetings (just not with whom or where the visits were - to an organisation of which she is patron or just a visit to an area)

Last edited:
Some of that information will be added but not, I suspect in the detail you would like. The new breakdown will include - The Queen 4 visits, 2 opened, 6 audiences, 3 meetings (just not with whom or where the visits were - to an organisation of which she is patron or just a visit to an area)
I don't want to know about 4 visits, 2 opened, 6 audiences, 3 meetings
I want to know 3 - only a monarch (very specific person), 5 - Patron (specific person), 4 - other (can be done by any royal), 2 - RF (can be done by any royal, yes, including garden parties)
7 different groups at all
But I suspect you have too difficult system for such statistics

I want to know 3 - only a monarch (very specific person), 5 - Patron (specific person), 4 - other (can be done by any royal), 2 - RF (can be done by any royal, yes, including garden parties)

Perhaps that is an aspect of the data base that you could do? Take the listings from the CC that Iluvbertie posts each week and break it down into the categories that you list? I'm sure that you can find that information listed on the CC (the specific events) just as Iluvbertie finds them.

Iluvbertie does this every week out of her personal interest and goodwill.

She is not here at the beck and call of anyone. I agree with Osipi, if you want that level of detail, then you should do it.

:previous: strange reaction

I didn't think someone would ask for that depth of analysis that would take literally hours to do - and really wouldn't reveal anything more than we already know - that all the royals can, and do, do all the different types of engagements you listed, except The Queen is the only one who attends the Privy Council meetings.

To do the simple type of engagement analysis I will be doing may give you some of the information you are seeking anyway. They won't be classified the way you are suggesting but will simply be - visits, conferences, parades, councils, investitures etc - with a total per royal, by total of each type but not by royal and engagement.

Last edited:

One of the mistakes many people make is assume that the royals are only working when they turn up to an engagement when that is far from the truth. 1200 hours is 4.6 hours a day with a 2 day weekend for 52 weeks a year by the way with no days off for holidays, which we know they also take, but...

They have to prepare for the engagement - go through what is to happen, prepare their speech, know who they will be meeting, the cause etc - for an hour engagement there is probably another hour or so of preparation - so the 1200 becomes 2400 which takes it from 4.6 hours to 9.2 hours a day for a 5 day week, 52 weeks a year but...

they also deal with a lot of mail - some official and some unofficial - adding more hours to their working day.

Charles, along with The Queen, sees the red boxes daily - and she takes around 2 - 3 hours a day on the boxes and does them 363 days a year - adding another 726 to the yearly total.

And then there is the travel time to and from the engagement - and often between engagements adding more time to the working day.

To put those hours into perspective - as a High School teacher I only do 740 hours face to face (of course everyone knows there is the preparation and marking side of teaching) but I thought I would put those hours out there as a comparison. Any royal doing 360 engagements a year at two hours an engagement is doing as much face to face time at work as I am - that would be The Queen, Charles, Andrew and Anne with Edward not far behind.

Last edited:
Weekly update to 19th December

A much quieter week this week with a total of 20 engagements from the entire family, mostly by Charles. This is only to be expected as they wind down for Christmas and New Year so don't expect too many for next two weeks either. The FE list 1 engagement for Princess Alexandra as the only engagement for the rest of December, but it must be remembered that the Wales and York family don't have their engagements listed on the British monarch website.

HM The Queen - 394 (394 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 203 (202 - up 1)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 589 (575 - up 14)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 263 (262 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 66 (66 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 44 (44 - no change) NOTE - I had a typo last week and gave her 46 instead of 44 - probably because I did both hers and William's at the same time and he went to 66 so my brain gave her 46 instead of 44 - my apologies
HRH The Duke of York - 366 (364 - up 2)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 9 (9 - up 1)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 338 (338 - no change)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 233 (233 - no change)
HRH The Princess Royal - 477 (476 - up 1)
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 32 (32 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 222 (220 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 140 (140 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 206 (206 - no change)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 26 (25 - up 1)

HRH The Prince of Wales - 589
HRH The Princess Royal - 477
HM The Queen – 394
HRH The Duke of York - 366
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 263
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 233
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 203
HRH Princess Alexandra - 26

Year to date total - 3685 (3665 - up 20)

78.5% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.
The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 43.8%.
16.2% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
22.6% done by those 70 and above
68.8% are being done by those over 60.
46.6% were done by those in their 60s.
16% were done by Charles.

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 19th December

HM The Queen - 127
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 98
HRH The Prince of Wales - 169
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 108
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 34
HRH The Duke of York - 129
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 137
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 108
HRH The Princess Royal - 179
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 25
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 128
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 96
HRH The Duke of Kent - 108
HRH Princess Alexandra - 20

many thanks -and I found your post on time on engagements vs actual work very interesting. I agree with you; people get hung up on actual engagements as if it's all that is done.

Have a great Christmas and New Year and I look forward to your weekly updates in 2014

:santa3:

Weekly update to 26th December

A very, very quiet week this one - 2 engagements. Interestingly last week they said that Princess Alexandra was supposed to have an engagement this week but not in the CC which is showing 'no results' for all members of the royal family from the 21st onwards. That means one of two things: the CC hasn't been updated on the British monarchy website for a week - not usual - or there were no engagements. With a couple of public holidays in the week there is a good chance that there could be some updates done early next week so these figures for this week could change.

HM The Queen - 394 (394 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 203 (203 - no change)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 590 (589 - up 1)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 263 (263 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 66 (66 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 44 (44 - no change)
HRH The Duke of York - 366 (366 - no change)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 9 (9 - no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 338 (338 - no change)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 234 (233 - up 1)
HRH The Princess Royal - 477 (477 - no change)
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence - 32 (32 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 222 (222 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 140 (140 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 206 (206 - no change)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 26 (26 - no change)

HRH The Prince of Wales - 590
HRH The Princess Royal - 477
HM The Queen – 394
HRH The Duke of York - 366
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 263
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 234
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 203
HRH Princess Alexandra - 26

Year to date total - 3687 (3685 - up 2)

The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 43.9%.
16.2% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
22.5% done by those 70 and above
68.8% are being done by those over 60.
46.6% were done by those in their 60s.
16% were done by Charles.

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 26th December

HM The Queen - 127
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 98
HRH The Prince of Wales - 170
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 108