Annual Engagements by Members of the Royal Family 2011-2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again for the figures, Iluvbertie. Interesting that the CC is just stating attendance at the Olympics as a single engagement essentially. I suppose that's fair enough considering that they all seem to be having a ball, although I'm sure they're pretty exhausted at the end of each day.

i think its probably in part due to the fact that the Royals can go to any event they want to keeping track of them is probably impossible for who ever is putting up the events online. I know it was said somehwere Harry was meant to attend one event but another over ran so he didn't go. If they attend several events in a day theres no way the poor web editor would keep up

Not really as the CC could easily just ask them where they went and record it that way. The CC is the official account of where the royals were so this is an official decision to simply record that they went to the games.

Weekly update to 9th August.

A very quiet week in terms of number of engagements because the CC is listing 'visit the Olympic Games' not showing them moving between events.

Very few non-games listed events.

HM The Queen - 429 (427 - up 2)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 311 (310 - up 1)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 467 (467 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 231 (231 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 45 (42 - up 3)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 67 (63 - up 4)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 68 (63 – up 5)
HRH The Duke of York - 324 (324 - no change)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 18 (18 - up 1)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 14 (14 - up 1)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 294 (289 - up 5)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 260 (256 – up 4)
HRH The Princess Royal - 349 (340 – up 9)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 239 (232 – up 7)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 90 (88 – up 2)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 142 (140 – up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 8 (8 - up 2)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 20 (20 – up 2)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 20 (20 – up 2)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 75 (75 – no change)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list. I do move people around who have moved up or down but I am not putting in how many places they are moving - although usually it is only one place in either direction.

HRH The Prince of Wales - 467
HM The Queen – 429
HRH The Princess Royal - 349
HRH The Duke of York - 324
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 311
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 294
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 260
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 239
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 231
HRH The Duke of Kent - 142
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 90
HRH Princess Alexandra - 75
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 68
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 67
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 45
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 20
HRH Princess Michael of Kent -20
HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 18
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 14
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 8

Year to date total - 3472 with 76.5% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses. The remaining 23.5% have been done by her grandchildren, first cousins and their spouses. This sees a change from last week with the Queen, her children and their spouses decreasing their percentage of engagements again in comparison to the grandchildren, cousins and their spouses.

The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has remained at 46.5% mainly due to the visits to the Olympics every day by the Cambridges and Harry.

21% of all engagements are being done by those over 85 - The Queen and Philip.
28% done by those 70 and above (The Queen, Philip, The Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra)
68.5% are being done by those over 60 - meaning that 47% of all engagements so far this year have been carried out by Charles, Camilla, Anne, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Micheal (the ones in their 60s).

I would like to add that although we have seen some of the royals at the games they weren't there officially e.g. Beatrice and Eugenie (and yes Andrew did attend one day officially even though we didn't see him).

Going back through my records this is only the second week of the year in which Charles didn't carry out a single official engagement - the other was the first week of the year.

I also found it interesting that Beatrice's birthday wasn't noted but every other royal to have had a birthday this year did have their birthday noted (no I haven't counted having a birthday as an engagement but did find it interesting that this was the first one not noted).

Weekly update to 16th August.

An extremely quiet week - only 19 engagements done in total this week - with Anne followed by Philip being the busiest royals.

HM The Queen - 431 (429 - up 2)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 316 (311 - up 5)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 45 (45 - up 3)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 70 (67 - up 3)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 69 (68 – up 1)
HRH The Duke of York - 325 (324 - up 1)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 18 (18 - no change)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 14 (14 - no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 294 (294 - no change)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 260 (260 – no change)
HRH The Princess Royal - 355 (349 – up 6)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 239 (239 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 91 (90 – up 1)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 142 (142 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 8 (8 - no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 20 (20 – no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 20 (20 – no change)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list. I do move people around who have moved up or down but I am not putting in how many places they are moving - although usually it is only one place in either direction.

HM The Queen – 431
HRH The Princess Royal - 355
HRH The Duke of York - 325
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 316
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 91
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 70
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 69

Year to date total - 3491 with 76.5% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses. The remaining 23.5% have been done by her grandchildren, first cousins and their spouses. This sees no change from last week.

The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has remained at 46.5%.

28% done by those 70 and above (The Queen, Philip, The Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra)
69% are being done by those over 60 - meaning that 48% of all engagements so far this year have been carried out by Charles, Camilla, Anne, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Micheal (the ones in their 60s).

Going back through my records this is only the third week of the year in which Charles didn't carry out a single official engagement - the others were last week and the first week of the year. As he and Camilla still have their Jubille tour Down Under to do I do think they are possibly not sitting around doing nothing but are getting briefings etc for that tour as well as upcoming tours - as well as preparations for upcoming engagements.

The Searching Future Engagements on the Monarchy website indicates only 8 engagements for the rest of August - The Queen and Philip, Edward and Sophie and the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, and Princess Alexandra to attend the Opening Ceremony of the Paralympics and Edward to attend the next day of the games. Ity will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next two weeks.

The second quietest week of the year so far - two engagements all week from the entire family - one each to The Queen (an audience with the Scottish first minister) and Philip (a reception with senior officers from one of his regiments). The only quieter week was the first week of the year when only The Duchess of Gloucester carried out one engagement.

HM The Queen - 432 (431 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 317 (315 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 45 (45 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 70 (70 - no change)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 69 (69 – no change)
HRH The Duke of York - 325 (325 - no change)
HRH The Princess Royal - 355 (355 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 91 (91 – no change)

HM The Queen – 432
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 317

Year to date total - 3493 with 76.5% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses. The remaining 23.5% have been done by her grandchildren, first cousins and their spouses. This sees no change from last week.

The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has remained at 46.5%.

69% are being done by those over 60 - meaning that 48% of all engagements so far this year have been carried out by Charles, Camilla, Anne, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Micheal (the ones in their 60s).

One interesting thing in looking at the Future Engagements is that they list Edward and Sophie as 'carrying out engagements in Canada' in September but there is no mention of William and Kate carrying out engagements in Singapore, Malaysia, The Solomons or Tuvalu even though they will be doing that tour at the same time as Edward and Sophie and it is an official Jubilee tour. I find it interesting because the Future Engagements doesn't give all future engagements for every royal.

Last edited:
The Royal website are very good at forward engagements and it is sourced through BP. DDoC's engagements generally (as there does not seem to be a really hard and fast rule) are on the PoW website, sourced by CH and the information is generally thin. Why they have to have separate website confuses me - the DoY has one as well!

The second quietest week of the year so far - two engagements all week from the entire family - one each to The Queen (an audience with the Scottish first minister) and Philip (a reception with senior officers from one of his regiments). The only quieter week was the first week of the year when only The Duchess of Gloucester carried out one engagement.

HM The Queen - 432 (431 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 317 (315 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 45 (45 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 70 (70 - no change)
HRH The Princess Royal - 355 (355 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 91 (91 – no change)

HM The Queen – 432

Year to date total - 3493 with 76.5% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses. The remaining 23.5% have been done by her grandchildren, first cousins and their spouses. This sees no change from last week.

One interesting thing in looking at the Future Engagements is that they list Edward and Sophie as 'carrying out engagements in Canada' in September but there is no mention of William and Kate carrying out engagements in Singapore, Malaysia, The Solomons or Tuvalu even though they will be doing that tour at the same time as Edward and Sophie and it is an official Jubilee tour. I find it interesting because the Future Engagements doesn't give all future engagements for every royal.

I imagine that William and Catherine's engagements will appear on the CC nearer the time. The Wessex trip to the Caribbean was listed but their engagements were not listed until much closer to the time.

The Royal website are very good at forward engagements and it is sourced through BP. DDoC's engagements generally (as there does not seem to be a really hard and fast rule) are on the PoW website, sourced by CH and the information is generally thin. Why they have to have separate website confuses me - the DoY has one as well!

From someone who has been following the CC and Future Engagements this year very closely (like daily, weekly and monthly ahead) I can say that the Future Engagements do not reflect accurately what will be happening - the FE has about 50% of engagements listed in advance.

My point was that Edward and Sophie are listed as touring Canada and yet at the same time William and Kate will be on their official Jubilee tour and yet they aren't listed as even carrying out engagements at the same time.

According to the FE there should have been no engagements over this past week and yet there were two carried out.

They have different websites because like everyone else they are entitled to have one.

I imagine that William and Catherine's engagements will appear on the CC nearer the time. The Wessex trip to the Caribbean was listed but their engagements were not listed until much closer to the time.

The CC records engagements AFTER they have happened.

I still find it strange that the FE lists Edward and Sophie as carrying out engagements in Canada but there is no mention of William and Kate carrying out engagements at the same time.

Edward and Sophie were listed as 'carrying out engagements' for their Caribbean tour at least a month in advance - as far in advance as this Canada trip is being listed but William and Kate aren't (Harry was listed as carrying out engagements about a month in advance as well). These weren't the details of the engagements mind you but simply that they were going to be carrying out engagements, which is why I find it strange that nothing is yet listed for William and Kate.

I still find it strange that the FE lists Edward and Sophie as carrying out engagements in Canada but there is no mention of William and Kate carrying out engagements at the same time.

Is this to be taken at face value - there will be no tour done by William and Kate in the fall?

Tyger said:
Is this to be taken at face value - there will be no tour done by William and Kate in the fall?

Their tour starts in three weeks.

No - it means that the FE isn't putting up all the FEs but only some of them.

Weekly update to 30th August.

Another quiet week with only a few engagements mostly to do with the Paralympics (12 of the total of 16 were at the Opening Ceremony of attending the Games).

HM The Queen - 435 (432 - up 3)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 317 (317 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 232 (231 – up 1)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 47 (45 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 72 (70 - up 2)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 297 (294 - up 3)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 261 (260 – up 1)
HRH The Princess Royal - 356 (355 – up 1)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 240 (239 – up 1)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 92 (91 – up 1)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 76 (75 – up 1)

HM The Queen – 435
HRH The Princess Royal - 356
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 297
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 261
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 240
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 232
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 92
HRH Princess Alexandra - 76
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 72
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 47

Year to date total - 3509 with 76.5% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses. The remaining 23.5% have been done by her grandchildren, first cousins and their spouses. This sees no change from last week.

According to the Future Engagements there are 131 engagements scheduled for September with none for The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry, Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie, The Duchess of Kent, Prince Michael or Princess Michael. As we know William and Kate are going to do their Jubilee Tour we know that this isn't accurate but after last week's discussion I thought I would do a count and then keep a track of how many actual engagements are done in October. I might add it also says 'The Earl and Countess of Wessex will carry out engagements in Canada' and 'The Princess Royal will carry out engagements on behalf of The Queen for the Jubilee in Zambia' so that number of 131 is probably closer to 200 - given that it is normal to do 4 -5 engagements per royal per day on a tour. I also have trouble believing Charles will go another 4 weeks doing no engagements after having done none for the last 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if Charles does not have any engagements for the next 4 weeks. They will probably appear on his website nearer the time.

Are the 131 for October or September as the Cambridges and Wessex's are doing their foreign engagements in September?

When does Anne go to Zambia? I really hope it is not at the same time as the Cambridge's tour as Anne will receive no coverage at all. The Wessex's are going to Canada at the same time, but they would have received no coverage even if it was not at the same time as the Cambridge's.

I have edited my earlier post to indicate September not October (October's engagements aren't up yet).

Anne is in Zambia from 24th September to at least the end of the month. I wouldn't expect much coverage anyway coming straight after William and Kate's tour.

She didn't get much coverage on her earlier tour of Africa this year that overlapped partially with Edward and Sophie's Jubilee tour of the Caribbean.

The only royals to get full coverage in the British press are the main line these days - The Queen, of course, Philip, Charles and Camilla - sometimes, William and Kate always and Harry. The rest simply go about their duties with little or no press coverage.

Over the next month The Duke of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra are going to be very busy but they will get virutally no coverage - just as the Duke didn't get much coverage of his Jubilee tours earlier this year.

Last edited:
Weekly update to 6th September

Another quiet week with a total of 19 for the week with Andrew being the busiest with 6 for the week. Back in June and July that was normal for the most senior royals on most days.

Interesting to note that the Braemar Games weren't an official engagement for any of those we saw attending but Andrew's Shard drop was classed as an official engagement.

HM The Queen - 435 (435 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 232 (232 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 47 (47 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 73 (72 - up 1)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 71 (69 – up 2)
HRH The Duke of York - 331 (325 - up 6)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 301 (297 - up 4)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 263 (261 – up 2)
HRH The Princess Royal - 357 (356 – up 1)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 241 (240 – up 1)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 94 (92 – up 2)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 76 (76 – no change)

HM The Queen – 435
HRH The Princess Royal - 357
HRH The Duke of York - 331
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 297
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 261
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 241
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 94
HRH Princess Alexandra - 76
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 73
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 71
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 47

Year to date total - 3528 with 76.5% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses. The remaining 23.5% have been done by her grandchildren, first cousins and their spouses. This sees no change from last week.

Last edited:
Weekly update to 13th September

Things were certainly busier this week - although very little for The Queen, Philip, Charles and Camilla.

One interesting note is that Eugenie's presentation of the medal at the Paralympic Games didn't count as an official engagement, which is why there has been no change to her totals. I find that interesting because when Kate presented a medal her attendance at the games was an official engagement.

The royal tours have added some numbers to William and Kate of course but also to Edward and Sophie who are doing a lot more, it seems on their tour without the coverage.

HM The Queen - 437 (435 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 232 (232 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 59 (47 - up 12)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 85 (72 - up 12)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 71 (71 – no change)
HRH The Duke of York - 336 (331 - up 5)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 321 (301 - up 20)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 281 (263 – up 18)
HRH The Princess Royal - 375 (357 – up 18)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 248 (241 – up 7)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 96 (94 – up 2)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 78 (76 – up 2)

HM The Queen – 437
HRH The Princess Royal - 375
HRH The Duke of York - 336
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 321
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 281
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 248
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 96
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 85
HRH Princess Alexandra - 78
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 59

Year to date total - 3626 with 76% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses. The remaining 24% have been done by her grandchildren, first cousins and their spouses. This sees a slight increase by those outside the The Queen, her husband their children and their spouse - presumably because William and Kate are doing some engagements this week.

The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has dropped to 46% probably because most of the duties this week has been done by those outside this group.

20.5% of all engagements are being done by those over 85 - The Queen and Philip a slight drop due to them being on holidays I presume.
27% done by those 70 and above (The Queen, Philip, The Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra) which is again a slight drop presumably because most of them are also on holidays.
67% are being done by those over 60 - meaning that 40% of all engagements so far this year have been carried out by Charles, Camilla, Anne, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Micheal (the ones in their 60s).

The FE lists 24 engagements for the upcoming week - but lists nothing for William and Kate (who are still touring the Far East and the Pacific) for most of this week. It seems that the FE is rather limited in what it includes. The only royals supposedly doing duties this upcoming week are Edward, Sophie, The Dukes of Gloucester and Kent and Princess Alexandra - so it will be interesting to see who actually does duties this week.

Weekly update to 20th September

Everyone was back to work this week except for The Queen and Philip with Charles being especially busy.

HM The Queen - 438 (437 - up 1)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 494 (467 – up 27)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 244 (232 – up 12)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 80 (59 - up 21)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 106 (85 - up 21)
HRH The Duke of York - 353 (336 - up 17)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 354 (321 - up 33)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 297 (281 – up 16)
HRH The Princess Royal - 387 (375 – up 12)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 264 (248 – up 16)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 109 (96 – up 13)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 147 (142 – up 5)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 84 (78 – up 6)

HRH The Prince of Wales - 494
HM The Queen – 438
HRH The Princess Royal - 387
HRH The Duke of York - 353
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 345
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 297
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 264
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 244
HRH The Duke of Kent - 147
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 109
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 106
HRH Princess Alexandra - 84
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 80

Year to date total - 3817 with 75.5% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses. The remaining 24.5% have been done by her grandchildren, first cousins and their spouses. This sees a slight increase by those outside the The Queen, her husband their children and their spouse - presumably because of the numbers down by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester with both couples doing overseas trips. The Gloucesters went to Finland.

The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has dropped to 46% probably because most of the duties this week has been done by those outside this group.

19.5% of all engagements are being done by those over 85 - The Queen and Philip another slight drop due to them being on holidays I presume.
26.3% done by those 70 and above (The Queen, Philip, The Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra) which is again a slight drop presumably because most of them are also on holidays.
66.34% are being done by those over 60 - meaning that 40% of all engagements so far this year have been carried out by Charles, Camilla, Anne, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Micheal (the ones in their 60s).

A couple of weeks back I pointed out that the FE had a total of 131 engagements listed for September but so far in September there has actually been 308 with over a week of the month to go.

Last edited:
Kataryn, I think,mentioned last year that the prime duty of the Duchess of Cambridge is to have offspring. Having too many duties, and having to remain thin and glamorous while doing them, could interfere with conception. Most women who want to get pregnant need to relax. Of course there are those who get pregnant no matter how much stress they are under. But Catherine may not be like that. However, they may have wanted Catherine to take up her Duchess duties before having a family. Who knows? It's good something is private these days in the lives in the Cambridges.
I think the Duchess would conceive more rapidly,however, if she lay around the palace and (figuratively ) ate bonbons and read books, waiting on hand and foot, and entertaining her chums. All this walking around on stilleto heals is not a maternal thing to do. Relax, please.

Mariel1 said:
Kataryn, I think,mentioned last year that the prime duty of the Duchess of Cambridge is to have offspring. Having too many duties, and having to remain thin and glamorous while doing them, could interfere with conception. Most women who want to get pregnant need to relax. Of course there are those who get pregnant no matter how much stress they are under. But Catherine may not be like that. However, they may have wanted Catherine to take up her Duchess duties before having a family. Who knows? It's good something is private these days in the lives in the Cambridges.
I think the Duchess would conceive more rapidly,however, if she lay around the palace and (figuratively ) ate bonbons and read books, waiting on hand and foot, and entertaining her chums. All this walking around on stilleto heals is not a maternal thing to do. Relax, please.

I don't see what any of that has to do with the engagements of the royal family. If Catherine sat around and popped out children for the rest of we life she'd be slated. The Queen managed to have four children whilst she was Queen, Catherine can do it whilst doing very little.

Iluvbertie - Thank you for all the hard work you do compiling this list.

I have been keeping an eye on it during the year and have to say that I feel a bit sorry for the York girls. It seems the CC does not include their engagements even when it would appear to be official eg Eugenie presenting the Paralympic medal.

Therefore when people look at their totals at the end of the year they presume they don't do any engagements and are a 'waste of money' which really is not the case.

The same can also be said about the Gloucesters, Kents etc but they seem to get less criticism which I would suggest is because they are a bit older and therefore not such an easy target.

The Gloucesters and Kents though have been known to be working for The Queen their entire lives so they aren't seen the same way.

I was surprised when Eugenie's medal presentation wasn't in the CC but so be it.

Weekly update to 27th September

A busy week for some but more relaxed for others. Anne was the busiest which is no surprise as she is touring Zambia this week.

HM The Queen - 446 (438 - up 8)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 324 (317 - up 7)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 496 (494 – up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 246 (244 – up 2)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 80 (80 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 106 (106 - no change)
HRH The Duke of York - 353 (353 - no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 357 (354 - up 3)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 300 (297 – up 3)
HRH The Princess Royal - 410 (387 – up 23)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 268 (264 – up 4)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 115 (109 – up 6)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 152 (147 – up 7)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 88 (84 – up 4)

HRH The Prince of Wales - 496
HM The Queen – 446
HRH The Princess Royal - 410
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 357
HRH The Duke of York - 353
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 324
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 300
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 268
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 246
HRH The Duke of Kent - 152
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 115
HRH Princess Alexandra - 88

Year to date total - 3893 with 75% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses. The remaining 25% have been done by her grandchildren, first cousins and their spouses. This sees a slight increase by those outside the The Queen, her husband their children and their spouse again this week, presumably because Charles, Camilla and Andrew had very quiet weeks.

The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has dropped to 45% probably because most of the duties this week has been done by those outside this group.

19.5% of all engagements are being done by those over 85 - The Queen and Philip remained steady from last week presumably because they both carried out a couple of engagements this week.

26.4% done by those 70 and above (The Queen, Philip, The Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra) which is a slight increase presumably because The Queen has had a couple of engagements this week.

66.7% are being done by those over 60 - meaning that 40.3% of all engagements so far this year have been carried out by Charles, Camilla, Anne, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Micheal (the ones in their 60s).

A couple of weeks back I pointed out that the FE had a total of 131 engagements listed for September but so far in September there has actually been 384 with still a couple of days to go.

As the new month is starting today I did a quick count on the Future Engagements from the Monarchy website.

According to that site there will be 202 engagements in October with none for William, Kate, Harry (obviously) or Andrew and only 3 for Charles. It will be interesting to see how many are actually done and how many Charles and Andew, in particular do.

It has also already been announced that William and Kate will be at the opening of the new FA HQ in early October but that isn't on the official monarchy website.

Prince Andrew's engagements are frequently not listed in advance. It wouldn't surprise me if this was true for other members of the family as well.

It is obvious that not all engagements are listed in advance but I was simply pointing out that the FE is saying nothing for Andrew and only two or three for Charles but lots for Edward and the Gloucesters.

I know of other sites that list all FE from the monarchy site and then are surprised when a royal, not listed does something. The site also has it set up so that people can see where a royal will be so people can plan to see them which is hard to do when people don't know that they are going to be there.

Andrew does get listed on occasions - he was in the September lists at the beginning of the month - but not in October.

Weekly update to 4th October

A fairly steady week with the Queen and Philip still on holidays while the others are starting to get into their Autumn working mode.

HM The Queen - 447 (446 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 324 (324 - no change)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 500 (496 – up 4)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 246 (246 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 80 (80 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 106 (106 - no change)
HRH The Duke of York - 362 (353 - up 9)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 362 (357 - up 5)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 304 (300 – up 4)
HRH The Princess Royal - 419 (410 – up 9)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 279 (268 – up 11)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 117 (115 – up 2)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 159 (152 – up 7)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 92 (88 – up 4)

HRH The Prince of Wales - 500
HM The Queen – 447
HRH The Princess Royal - 419
HRH The Duke of York - 362
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 362
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 324
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 304
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 279
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 246
HRH The Duke of Kent - 159
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 117
HRH Princess Alexandra - 92

Year to date total - 3949 with 75% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses. The remaining 25% have been done by her grandchildren, first cousins and their spouses. This sees no real change since last week.

The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has remained steady at about 45%.

19.5% of all engagements are being done by those over 85 - The Queen and Philip remained steady from last week.

26.4% done by those 70 and above (The Queen, Philip, The Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra) which is also steady this week.

66.7% are being done by those over 60 - meaning that 40.3% of all engagements so far this year have been carried out by Charles, Camilla, Anne, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Micheal (the ones in their 60s).

At the beginning of September I pointed out the the FE listed 301 engagements for the entire month. In the end there were 394.

I also pointed out during this last week that the FE had no engagements listed for Andrew at all for October but he has already done 9 while Charles who had 3 listed for the month has already done those 3 - so if the FE is to believed Charles won't be doing any more this month.

Sadly Camilla was unable to carry out her planned 3 or 4 engagements this week but hopefully she will be able to make up a couple of them later on.

Tim: I love all that you do so this comment is not directed at you.

I do wish the official record reflected PUBLIC and PRIVATE events.

To take a meeting behind closed doors is a totally different challenge from a public meet and greet.

It is also interesting to see which royal favors which type of meeting.

IMHO :flowers:

Meetings are listed in the CC and thus are included in the count.

The type of engagements that have been included during the past week:

Meetings - 3
Called Upon someone - 1
Conference - 1
Received Someone - 5
Visit - 22
Opened - 6
Lunch - 1
Reception - 3
Dinner - 1
Investiture - 1
Debate - 1
Show - 1
Installed to a position - 1
Concert - 3
Funeral - 2
Launched Something - 1
Presented Prizes - 1
Discourse - 1
Ceremony - 1

To include the 'private' events would mean that they were no longer private.

A quick count of Charles for the year so far is that he has officially attended 69 meetings in his 500 engagements, which is 13.9% of his official engagements are actually meetings with a range of organisations and individuals. This is in addition to meeting representatives of organisations, or holding a discourse, or discussion, or attending a conference etc.

All of the royals regularly have meetings listed in the CC as part of their official engagements.

Meetings are listed in the CC and thus are included in the count.

All of the royals regularly have meetings listed in the CC as part of their official engagements.
Thank you I luvbertie. You are the best - and I never intended to make you do that digging for me. Next time I'll do it myself - but thanks ever so. That total was about what I expected and also about what I expected for the Prince of Wales.
I asked the question because there is a disconnect between the year to date totals and the amount of press some royals get for their work.
I had thought that was entirely due to the fact that the press follows some royals less. Then I realized that "meetings" also would not get press and so royals doing more "meeting" work would address that press disconnect as well.
Having done "Public" work for corporations, I realize the skills needed for that are very different from "Meeting" skills. Personally, I found the dog-and-pony, meet-and-greet work exhausting. People are rare who are skilled at both. It's just another way for me to see and value the work the Royal Family does.
I think you have just turned me into a regular reader of the CC. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom