Annual Engagements by Members of the Royal Family 2011-2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on past years William will probably do about 100 this year.

William is a full-time SAR pilot so of course his number of duties will be lower, as will Harry's as he is a full-time Apache pilot. Those jobs take precedence, as do their vacation times.

My lists are my personal lists and mine alone.

I use the CC and count an engagement as one where different things happen e.g. the Queen tours a place, opens something at the place, attends a show at the place = three engagements.

Someone else doing a count might count that as 1 engagement but as these lists are mine I will do them my way.

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, Iluvbertie! It's appreciated. :)

:previous: What is clear from the numbers is that the Queen's children are definitely stepping up to the plate to cover for their aging parents. (Plus a child's spouse).

Children's spouses, I'd say - both Camilla and Sophie are doing quite a descent job supporting their respective husbands and the Queen.

Children's spouses, I'd say - both Camilla and Sophie are doing quite a descent job supporting their respective husbands and the Queen.

Ah, yes. :flowers: I phrased it as I did because Sophie's count manages to be above the Queen's - that's why I singled her out - but of course Camilla is doing her part, too.

This is my calculation up to the 4th April, 2012. (Total for the year so far 1221).

NB This week’s list is missing engagements from Maundy Thursday onwards as the CC isn’t published on the British Monarch website due to the public holidays in the UK so next week there will probably be some larger increases. Another note – Prince and Princess Michael are appearing as they were listed as attending the memorial service for The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret. I must also point out that although Sophie did attend that service I had an error in her calculations a week or so ago and therefore she has only gone up 1 but she did 2 this week. Why are they getting two for that service – simply the CC described it as a service followed by a reception – hence two engagements in my calculations.

HM The Queen - 113 (109 - up 4)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 71 (69 up 2)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 186 (174 - up 12)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 83 (73 - up 10)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 2 (2 no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 26 (26 no change)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 38 (36 – up 2)
HRH The Duke of York - 129 (126 - up 3)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 2 (0- up 2)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 3 (1- up 2)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 124 (123 - up 1)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 128 (127 - up 1)
HRH The Princess Royal - 155 (141 - up 14)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 78 (74 - up 4)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 24 (22 up 2)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 43 (35 – up 8)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0 (0 no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 2 (0 – up 2)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent – 2 (0 – up 2)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 12 (9 – up3)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list.

HRH The Prince of Wales - 186
HRH The Princess Royal - 155
HRH The Duke of York - 129
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 128
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 124
HM The Queen – 113
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 83
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 78
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 71
HRH The Duke of Kent - 43
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 38
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 26
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 24
HRH Princess Alexandra - 12
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 3
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 2
HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 2
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 2
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 2
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0

Could people PM me if they wish me to continue doing this? It would be much appreciated if I could get some idea of how many people think this is something of interest. If it is only a few then I will PM those people rather than publicly post.

Last edited:
As only two people have requested that I continue doing this I will PM them weekly rather than post for everyone to see.

:previous: Hey, no no no, post, please post! I check every Saturday but you were late this past week - or the week before - and I lapsed, forgot.

Please post - please. :flowers:

I appreciate your posts as well, Iluvbertie.
It's really very interesting to keep track on the royal activities, and to have some sort of scoreboard.

I appreciate it also. I admire your patience in doing so.

It seems as if people do want me to continue to post publicy so I will do so. I just wasn't sure if people were actually reading them and now that I have had 6 PM pluse the messages above I will post weekly - usually on a Saturday or Sunday.

:previous: At over 4,000 views you know people are checking it! :flowers:

It's very cool to have 'our own' count here on TRF for quick reference.

I am impressed the way the Queen's children are clearly stepping up to the plate for her and their father. Nice.

Would be interesting to know what the numbers were like in the Queen's heyday - say every ten years, in 1960, then in 1970, then in 1980, then in 1990, and so on. Might enlighten as to how the monarchy has been changing, too.

Although I can't find the links on the interent I do remember when Philip used to do about 800 a year followed by Anne at about 550 - 600 (as she still does). The Queen was also at about 550 - 600 in her heyday - what Charles is doing now. He has always been about the 500 mark but has stepped up over the last 5 or so years to go over 600 now and to the hardest worker. Edward has picked up a lot of his father's duties with DoE Award Scheme. Sophie has had a slow build up as she has been a mum with young children but now that they are at school she is increasing her number as well. Camilla has also increased over the years, with the down years the first year and the year of her histerectomey (sp). Andrew has consistently been about 400 since leaving the navy with about half to do with his former position as International Trade Ambassador. The minor royals - Gloucesters and Kents have all been fairly steady at about 250 although Alexandra has dropped way back over the last decade from about 250 to just over 100 last year.

The number has been fairly steady at about 3500 - 4000 a year.

NB This week’s list is up to date to the 12th April. Due to Easter there were fewer engagements than normal done by the family. In addition a couple of planned engagements for Sophie were cancelled due to Louise’s injury. If you are wondering about where Beatrice’s 5 come from – I counted 5 engagements for the day in York (the same 5 engagements by the way for The Duke of Edinburgh and also they are 5 of The Queen’s engagements for the week.

HM The Queen - 124 (113 - up 9)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 76 (71 up 5)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 186 (186 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 83 (83 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 2 (2 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 26 (26 - no change)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 38 (38 – up 2)
HRH The Duke of York - 131 (129 - up 2)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 7 (2- up 5)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 3 (3- no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 128 (124 - up 4)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 128 (128 – no change)
HRH The Princess Royal - 155 (155 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 78 (78 – no change)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 24 (24 – no change)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 43 (43 – no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 2 (2 – no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent – 2 (2 – no change)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 12 (12 – no change)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list.

HRH The Prince of Wales - 186
HRH The Princess Royal - 155
HRH The Duke of York - 131
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 128
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 128
HM The Queen – 124
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 83
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 78
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 76
HRH The Duke of Kent - 43
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 24
HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 7

Last edited:
NB This week’s list is up to date to the 19th April.

HM The Queen - 125 (124 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 76 (76 - no change)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 190 (186 – up 4)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 87 (83 – up 4)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 2 (2 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 26 (26 - no change)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 38 (38 – no change)
HRH The Duke of York - 132 (131 - up 1)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 7 (7 - no change)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 3 (3- no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 130 (128 - up 2)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 129 (128 – up 1)
HRH The Princess Royal - 177 (155 – up 22)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 102 (78 – up 24)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 28 (24 – up 4)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 46 (43 – up 3)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 2 (2 – no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent – 2 (2 – no change)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 12 (12 – no change)

HRH The Prince of Wales - 190
HRH The Princess Royal - 177
HRH The Duke of York - 132
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 130
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 129
HM The Queen – 125
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 102
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 87
HRH The Duke of Kent - 46
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 28

Last edited:
I have never really appreciated just how many engagement the Duke of Gloucester carries out; 102 - and it's only April! For a (relatively) minor royal, that's a pretty impressive result. In fact, quite a few of the key royals in other monarchies don't fulfil that many engagements in a year!

Just a question: what were Harry's two additional engagements?

Sorry Harry didn't do any engagements last week. When I was doing the edit to update from last week I missed that he had done 2 last week and so didn't change his to 'no change' although I have done so now.

The Duke of Gloucester has now done two overseas tours for the Jubilee this year and he does a lot at home as well.

HRH The Prince of Wales - 190
HRH The Princess Royal - 177
HRH The Duke of York - 132
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 130
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 129
HM The Queen – 125
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 102
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 87
HRH The Duke of Kent - 46
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 28

The Princess Royal is really nipping at her brother's heels. ;)

Can't help observing that - to me - it does look odd that The Duke of Cambridge is so absent from the rolls. Personally I put no expectations on his wife - but his absence is odd, especially when I saw the amount of shift-work William really does at his 'real job'. Oh well - to each his own. He's got a good life there. Can't help but wonder what they are doing with themselves. :p

Can't help observing that - to me - it does look odd that The Duke of Cambridge is so absent from the rolls. Personally I put no expectations on his wife - but his absence is odd, especially when I saw the amount of shift-work William really does at his 'real job'. Oh well - to each his own. He's got a good life there. Can't help but wonder what they are doing with themselves. :p
by Tyger

Really surprised at this comment to be honest. He's not a full time royal - as we all know; he has been absent from the country for 7 weeks this year on duty in the Falklands and he has to carry out his role as an SAR pilot. It is also known that HMQ is supporting him in having a "normal" life before he takes on his full role as a member of the BRF. So not permanently in the public eye.

It also seems to me that as they have to undertake the role of Olympic Ambassador, spend at least 10-15 days touring Tuvalu, Solomon Islands, Singapore and Malaysia in September, and support the events in June for the Jubilee we will see quite a lot of the Cambridges. Never mind the fact that he is studying for his Captain's "exams".

I really understand why Iluvbertie doesn't want to do the "league table" - it's not a competition!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all the information regarding their engagements. Prince Richard is such a quiet hard worker!

You say this is mentioned in The Times newspaper? (I think...) Is the information for general release within the newspaper?

Who's Prince Richard?

:previous:
The Duke of Gloucester :flowers:

His full name is Prince Richard Alexander Walter George, Duke of Gloucester , Earl of Ulster and Baron Culloden, Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, Grand Prior of the Order of St. John, Service Medal of the Order of St. John

The information is in the Court Circular and yes it is available to anyone. It is published daily in The Times and one other British paper but I get the information from the British Monarchy official website.

The CC is updated daily - but a day behind as it is a list of what was done not what is coming up. Hence a week or so ago Sophie was expected to do two engagements that she ended up not doing due to Louise's injury but if I had been going by the published 'upcoming engagements' those engagements would have been included whereas because I use the actual done list of the CC they weren't.

For anyone who has problems with Williams full time RAF job, I think it would be a good idea if they became friends with people that work those 24 hour shifts. They would then have a better understanding of what a full time job it really is. The day after such a shift is spent sleeping and they must sleep before going on duty. They really do not have that much "free" time. Just saying.

I had no idea who the Duke of Glouchester was either. But to those complaining about William not being listed with his relatives, I believe it is because of his full time job in the air force, I don't know how many of his relatives have 2 jobs.

Have a look at the Duke of Gloucester thread. There are some lovely pix of his wedding which was very low key. Sadly his brother William died 6 weeks later and Prince Richard, as he was, became heir to the Dukedom.
You can see William in one of the wedding pix. He's the very handsome man in the background (its pretty obvious who I mean)

Sorry for going slightly off subject

The heir's heir's wife isn't the slacker. The heir's wife was famously discribed by her own PR person as 'The laziest woman in England'. The only members of the BRF who do less engagements than Camilla are either very elderly 2nd tier members, or those that have very young children (Sophie) or are newly married in (Kate who may well have a young child in short order). For the heir to the throne's wife to be so lacking, compared to other crown princesses is a huge gap.

The heir's heir's wife isn't the slacker. The heir's wife was famously discribed by her own PR person as 'The laziest woman in England'. The only members of the BRF who do less engagements than Camilla are either very elderly 2nd tier members, or those that have very young children (Sophie) or are newly married in (Kate who may well have a young child in short order). For the heir to the throne's wife to be so lacking, compared to other crown princesses is a huge gap.

Its rather early to make a judgement on who or who is not "slacking". For example, the Wessex' figures include all those trips in the Carribean. Charles and Camilla have Australia, New Zealand and Canada to come.

This work isn't driven just by members of the royal family. Much of it is dependent on specific charity/patronage events and, of course, the Royal Calendar.

But I am pleased to see the HMQ and DoE are taking things a bit easier.:flowers:

Your statements are wrong and inaccurate on many levels.
Firstly, the Duchess of Cornwall undertook over 200 official engagements, including state visits, in her first year of marriage. Kate isn't anywhere near the number a year after her marriage. This year, for example, Camilla has already done nearly 90 official engagements - and it's well known that the period from January to March is one of her least active periods. Sophie may have two young children, but Camilla has five young grandchildren.

You dislike Camilla - fine; but attacking her just for the sake of it is just wrong. She isn't a slacker, and neither is Kate; they are both assets for the royal family and do their part in supporting the Monarch and their respective husbands. Incidentally, there are few Crown Princesses who do more engagements than Camilla - a fact that can easily be verified if you compare the number of official engagements undertaken by the respective ladies.

Last edited:
I'm going to take your word for it that Cam has done 90 engagements already, I don't know if I am wrong in thinking that is a heck of a lot or if I am just comparing her to Kate. I have always had the idea that a spouse shouldn't necessarily do more royal work than their royal husband/wife or it could overshadow them or make them look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom