The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

More people know who Sophie is than you think. Not the younger generation maybe, but a lot of people my mother's age (50+) know who Sophie is because as Edward's girlfriend (and a Diana look-a-like) she was quite famous, and if you say "the bald one's wife" they know who she is. When she had Louise and nearly died the public knew who she was because it was all over the news. Sophie is not Catherine famous, but she's more famous than the Duchess of Gloucester. I hate to call her "famous", but they are celebrities in a way, so it's an associated term.

I have to say, I would be thrilled to meet any Royalty.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Majesty

Weekly update to 23rd May

A fairly busy week as is to be expected at this time of the year when the summer events start up and so the royals are out and about and often in large numbers at events e.g. the Garden Party had 8 royals attend and the Chelsea Flower Show was also attended by many of the family. Beatrice was mentioned for the second time this year in attending the Flower Show and Edward has reached his 'ton' while Philip and Camilla at closing in on that figure.

A note about the type of engagements that The Queen does - often it is listed in the CC as 'The Queen received xxxx, Ambassordor from yyy' and then 'The Queen received aaa, Ambassordor from zzz' and again 'The Queen received jjjj, Ambassordor from kkkk'. In my count that is three different engagements particularly as when there are multiple people being received it is written as 'The Queen received ddddd, eeeee, ffffff, gggggg'. She will sometimes have a list of 5 or so individual 'receiveds' and then one group 'received'.

HM The Queen - 133 (112 - up 21)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 98 (80 - up 18)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 226 (210 - up 16)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 96 (92 - up 4)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 15 (13 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 25 (24 - up 1)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 31 (29 - up 2)
HRH The Duke of York - 131 (103 - up 28)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 2 (1 - up 1)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 101 (92 - up 9)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 79 (77 - up 2)
HRH The Princess Royal - 181 (175 - up 6)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 11 (11 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 76 (73 - up 3)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 37 (34 - up 3)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 86 (81 - up 5)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 1 (1 - no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 1 (1 - no change)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 0 (0 - no change)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list. I do move people around who have moved up or down but I am not putting in how many places they are moving - although usually it is only one place in either direction.

HRH The Prince of Wales - 226
HRH The Princess Royal - 181
HM The Queen – 133
HRH The Duke of York - 131
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 101
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 98
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 96
HRH The Duke of Kent - 86
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 79
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 76
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 37
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 31
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 25
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 15
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 11
HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 2
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 1
HRH Princess Michael of Kent -1
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 0
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0
HRH Princess Alexandra - 0

Year to date total - 1330 (1209 - up 121)

79.3% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.
The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 46.9%.
17.3% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
23.8% done by those 70 and above
70.3% are being done by those over 60.
46.3% were done by those in their 60s.
10% have been done by The Queen.
16.9% were done by Charles.
7.2% were done by Camilla

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 23rd May

HM The Queen - 46
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 50
HRH The Prince of Wales - 70
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 46
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 9
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 16
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 13
HRH The Duke of York - 45
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 2
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 46
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 39
HRH The Princess Royal - 71
Commander Tim Lawrence - 10
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 48
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 36
HRH The Duke of Kent - 39
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 1
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 1

Eugenie, Katherine and Alexandra are still to do anything official this year.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Courtier

Does anyone actually have Diana’s numbers for each year?

The numbers I have do not support the easing of Kate.

The full year for each of the woman except Sarah. Does anyone have Sarah numbers?

1982 Diana - 78
2012 Kate - 111
2000 Sophie - 129
2006 Camilla - 222

You can make excuses for all the women but again each circumstance is different.

Diana was pregnant nearly ½ the year and a new mother.
Kate was stationed in Wales with her husband who is only a part time royal & in the 1st trimester of her pregnancy.
Sophie was operating her own business and married to 5th in line.
Camilla was nearly 60, the age most people retire, and planning her daughter’s wedding while taking care of an elderly parent who died.

If you want to compare Kate to Diana. Wait until end of this year to see if she performs more than 78 engagement. 2013 for Kate will be similar to Diana's 1982.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Majesty

It isn't reasonable to compare Diana to Kate at this stage as by Diana's second wedding anniversary, in 1983 - just past for Kate - she was already a mother with a young child while Kate is still to have that first child.

That means that Kate had time to build up some engagements before getting pregnant that Diana didn't have the chance to do as she fell pregnant so soon after the marriage.

A fairer comparison can be made at the 5th anniversary - by which time both ladies should have had two years of expecting babies and three years not pregnant - although Kate will still have the situation of not working much in the first year when she wasn't pregnant - that is telling.

A comparison at 10 years will be telling as by then Diana had one child already off her hands and at boarding school and the other almost at that point and so was freer to do many more engagements. The rumours I have heard are that Kate and William don't plan on sending their offspring to boarding school so Kate will need to be based in one home during the school year and has already been reported as saying 'no overseas tours during the school year' or without the children (tabloid report I know but still out there)
Old 05-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Princess Royal is a work horse for The Firm and deserves much credit.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Courtier

I only brought it up because of the constant inaccurate assumption that Kate was eased into royal duties because of what happened to Diana.

The numbers to not support this & again I stated an accurate comparison would be for 1982 vs 2013. (Diana was pregant 1/2 the year & Kate is pregnant for 1/2 the year.)

I for one have always stated each woman is different. (But if people are going to compare they should try to compare the closest years/circumstances.)
Old 05-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Majesty

Just a note about the figures Queen Camilla is using for Kate - they are mine while the figures for Diana are Mr O'Donovan's so to be fair we should compare his figures with his figures as we do count things differently.

According to his figures last year Kate did 111 engagements not 78 - and many of those were in the overseas tour and Jubilee which Diana didn't have in to build up her figures. 40 of Kate's engagements last year were for the Jubilee and on her overseas tour with another 14 to do with the Olympic and Paralympic Games meaning that about 50% of her engagements were to do with events that were focused around special situations and not things that happen more regularly.

I am no Diana supporter but I don't think Kate has done anywhere near as many as Diana apart from the fact that she did a 10 day tour and had a major Jubilee to add engagements to her figures while Diana never had that sort of year as she didn't experience being the wife of a royal in a Jubilee year. Take off the tour and Jubilee figures and Kate drops rather drastically below Diana. Comparing this year to Diana's first year is also unfair as that was Diana's first year while this is Kate's third year.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Heir Apparent

The other difference would be that Diana was the wife of HRH The Prince of Wales, heir to the throne and a full time royal based in the capital while Catherine is only married to the Queens grandson, a fulltime SAR officer based in Wales and only undertaking part time royal duties. We have known from the beginning that Catherine would not be a fulltime working royal so the comparisons serve no purpose.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:53 AM
Courtier

IIRC a few years ago, ie during late 2000s, Princess Anne consistently topped the royal engagements list (not sure though). But now she is always lagging behind her brother..Any remote chances that this shift to second position is deliberate?
Even when she was on top I knew Charles worked no less, as his causes need more brainstorming, behind-the-scene work and even lobbying..
Old 05-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Majesty

Anne is doing about the same that she has always done.

Charles has been picking up engagements from his parents as they have stepped back - Philip from a high around 800 to about 300 or less now.

Charles has been close behind the others but it was never good publicity for the press to show him in a good light during the 80s and 90s when he had to be pulled down to boost others.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Courtier

Iluvbertie

Thanks for pointing out I had used your number for Kate rather than O'Donovan's. I made the correction.

I also find it interesting that the Queen, Camilla & Edward worked the same number of days.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think we're really throwing this thread and the reason its here way off track.

What Kate and Will do unofficially and in their private time is their business. I've yet to see discussions of the same nature pertaining to any other of the couples of the BRF.

Iluvbertie has been doing a wonderful job of watching and listing official engagements according to the Court Circular for all of the BRF and I think we owe her the courtesy of not polluting this thread with things that really don't pertain at all to official duties and engagements.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Iluvbertie has been doing a wonderful job of watching and listing official engagements according to the Court Circular for all of the BRF and I think we owe her the courtesy of not polluting this thread with things that really don't pertain at all to official duties and engagements.
I definitely agree that Iluvbertie has been doing a wonderful job on keeping up with the engagements, but she did specifically ask for links regarding Kate spending time in Wales (and also stated that Kate and William never spent time together). So of course people were going to respond.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Majesty

Just a note - there will no no update this week or next as I am going on holidays and won't have computer access - yes I am going into the bush for two weeks. Will update when I get home on the 16th June, Sydney time.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:43 AM
Majesty

I'm back and will start updating my records later tonight and put up the last three weeks tomorrow -- seems that I have a lot of catching up to do with reading as well.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Majesty

Weekly update to 30th May

This is the first of the three updates I will post today as they will still be week by week. They will be a couple of hours apart as it takes about 3 hours each week to do the work involved.

Philip and Camilla both topped the 'ton' this week. Interestingly both Edward and Sophie didn't fulfil anypublic engagements which suggests either they were preparing for upcoming engagements or were having a holiday with their children.

HM The Queen - 139 (133 - up 6)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 107 (98 - up 9)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 234 (226 - up 8)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 105 (96 - up 9)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 16 (15 - up 1)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 25 (25 - no change)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 33 (31 - up 2)
HRH The Duke of York - 144 (131 - up 13)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 3 (2 - up 1)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 1 (0 - up 1)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 101 (101 - no change)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 79 (79 - no change)
HRH The Princess Royal - 190 (181 - up 9)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 13 (11 - up 2)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 78 (76 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 40 (37 - up 3)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 92 (86 - up 6)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 1 (1 - no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 1 (1 - no change)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list. I do move people around who have moved up or down but I am not putting in how many places they are moving - although usually it is only one place in either direction.

HRH The Prince of Wales - 234
HRH The Princess Royal - 190
HRH The Duke of York - 144
HM The Queen – 139
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 107
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 105
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 101
HRH The Duke of Kent - 92
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 79
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 78
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 40
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 33
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 25
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 16
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 13
HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 3
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 1
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 1
HRH Princess Michael of Kent -1
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0

Year to date total - 1402 (1330 - up 72)

79.3% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.
The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 47%.
17.5% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
24% done by those 70 and above
70.4% are being done by those over 60.
46.1% were done by those in their 60s.
9.9% have been done by The Queen.
16.7% were done by Charles.
7.5% were done by Camilla

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 30th May

HM The Queen - 48
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 51
HRH The Prince of Wales - 74
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 48
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 10
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 16
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 14
HRH The Duke of York - 49
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 3
HRH Princess Eugenie of Yokr - 1
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 46
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 39
HRH The Princess Royal - 75
Commander Tim Lawrence - 11
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 50
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 38
HRH The Duke of Kent - 42
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 1
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 1

Katherine and Alexandra are still to do anything official this year.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Majesty

Weekly update to 6th June

This is the second update today. This week includes the last engagements that Philip undertook before being hospitalised so his figures won't change for some time, if the reports of a two months convalesence is true. This also includes the Coronation Service which means a mention in the CC for The Duchess of Kent.

Quite a busy week overall though with 132 engagements although 20 of those came from the Jubilee Service alone. Anne has reached her double century for the year as well this week.

HM The Queen - 157 (139 - up 18)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 115 (107 - up 8)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 249 (234 - up 15)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 115 (105 - up 10)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 17 (16 - up 1)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 26 (25 - up 1)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 35 (33 - up 2)
HRH The Duke of York - 160 (144 - up 16)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 5 (3 - up 2)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 3 (1 - up 2)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 111 (101 - up 10)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 90 (79 - up 11)
HRH The Princess Royal - 206 (190 - up 16)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 17 (13 - up 4)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 83 (78 - up 5)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 46 (40 - up 6)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 96 (92 - up 4)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 1 (0 - up 1)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 3 (1 - up 2)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 3 (1 - up 2)

HRH The Prince of Wales - 249
HRH The Princess Royal - 206
HRH The Duke of York - 160
HM The Queen – 157
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 115
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 115
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 111
HRH The Duke of Kent - 96
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 90
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 83
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 46
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 35
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 26
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 17
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 17
HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 5
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 3
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 3
HRH Princess Michael of Kent -3
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 1

Year to date total - 1538 (1402 - up 136)

The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 46.4%.
17.7% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
23.9% done by those 70 and above
69.8% are being done by those over 60.
45.4% were done by those in their 60s.
10.2% have been done by The Queen.
16.1% were done by Charles.
7.5% were done by Camilla

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 6th June

HM The Queen - 54
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 55
HRH The Prince of Wales - 78
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 52
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 11
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 17
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 15
HRH The Duke of York - 54
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 5
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 50
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 42
HRH The Princess Royal - 80
Commander Tim Lawrence - 12
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 53
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 42
HRH The Duke of Kent - 45
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 3
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 3

Ony Alexandra is still to do anything official this year.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Majesty

Weekly update to 13th June

This is the third and final update today. Quite a few engagements this week across the range of members of the royal family although none for Philip of course and the final solo one for Kate before her maternity leave.

The Duke of Kent has now topped the century mark while close to that mark is the Countess of Sophie and Duke of Gloucester and they will probably reach that mark next week.

HM The Queen - 167 (157 - up 10)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 115 (115 - no change)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 269 (249 - up 20)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 125 (115 - up 10)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 17 (17 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 27 (26 - up 1)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 35 (35 - no change)
HRH The Duke of York - 173 (160 - up 13)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 5 (3 - no change)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 3 (1 - no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 125 (111 - up 14)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 98 (90 - up 8)
HRH The Princess Royal - 219 (206 - up 13)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 17 (17 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 93 (83 - up 10)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 49 (40 - up 3)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 102 (96 - up 6)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 1 (1 - no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 3 (3 - no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 3 (3 - no change)

HRH The Prince of Wales - 269
HRH The Princess Royal - 219
HRH The Duke of York - 173
HM The Queen – 167
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 125
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 125
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 115
HRH The Duke of Kent - 102
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 98
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 93
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 49
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 35
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 27
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 17
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 17
HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 5
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 3
HRH Princess Michael of Kent -3

Year to date total - 1646 (1538 - up 108)

79.5% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.
The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 45.8%.
17.1% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
23.4% done by those 70 and above
69.6% are being done by those over 60.
45.8% were done by those in their 60s.
10.1% have been done by The Queen.
16.3% were done by Charles.
7.6% were done by Camilla

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 13th June

HM The Queen - 58
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 55
HRH The Prince of Wales - 83
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 55
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 11
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 18
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 15
HRH The Duke of York - 58
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 5
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 56
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 48
HRH The Princess Royal - 86
Commander Tim Lawrence - 12
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 58
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 45
HRH The Duke of Kent - 48
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 3
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 3

Ony Alexandra is still to do anything official this year.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Nobility

Poor Princess Alexandra must still be very ill.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 AM
Majesty

Alexandra has a painful condition - not so much an illness but rather she is in too much pain to appear in public (lucky for her she can do that while others with the same condition still have to work etc).

Tags
princess beatrice