The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Alright full time working royal IMO would be someone who does more then 300 engagements a year, therefore my list would be;

The Queen
The Duke of Edinburgh
The Prince Of Wales
The Duchess of Cornwall
The Duke of York
The Earl of Wessex
The Countess of Wessex
The Princess Royal
The Duke of Gloucester.

No Alexandra, William, Henry or Catherine or anyone else for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
none of the others undertake any engagements on behalf of the Queen.
So that counts them out as being full time royals? I didn't know that was a criteria.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

William and Catherine don't yet count as full time royals. Neither does Harry. They're always called part time royals, and often criticized as such. William and Harry both have full time jobs within the armed services, and Catherine is being eased into things (although she had undertaken enough engagements to be considered pretty close to full time in recent months).

I think we're going to see William and Catherine both become full time royals at some point in the near future. I personally don't see William juggling the military, royal duties, and fatherhood, and I think once he reduces his military role he'll increase his royal one. Catherine is already showing an increase in duties, and while we can't expect her to keep the pace when the baby's born, I think after a bit she'll be returning to this pace and go full time.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that from a public/newspaper perspective, it is those royals allegedly get paid to do the job.
I know that the Duchy pay for William Catherine And. array but most of the public and the press consider that public money.

I also know that the grant has gone - this isn't about what is really happening it is about how the press manipulate public information.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
William and Catherine don't yet count as full time royals. Neither does Harry. They're always called part time royals, and often criticized as such. William and Harry both have full time jobs within the armed services, and Catherine is being eased into things (although she had undertaken enough engagements to be considered pretty close to full time in recent months).
I know that.
But if you look at the comment cepe made it says "add alexandra, william, harry and catherine" and you have 15. Meaning 15 full time working royals. They are not full time working royals so there aren't 15 at the minute.

Catherine did 111 engagements last year, the POW did 592. I wouldn't say that was anywhere near pretty close to full time working royal amounts.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think they are full time, the media write that they are.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I don't think they are full time, the media write that they are.
You mean that they write there are 15 full time working royals? or that Catherine, William and Henry are part of the 15 full time working royals?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it's the media thinks they're full time royals, or should be, and use their smaller numbers of engagements to justify the complaint that they're not doing enough.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I think it's the media thinks they're full time royals, or should be, and use their smaller numbers of engagements to justify the complaint that they're not doing enough.
Yes. I have always known that W, C and H are not full time but the press include them. and I think they reason they are included is that they are perceived as receiving funds to do their work.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Main conclusion: there aren't 15 full time working royals, at most there are 12. However this isn't noted anyway, is not set in stone and in the grand scheme of life doesn't matter. :)
Old 05-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Main conclusion: there aren't 15 full time working royals, at most there are 12. However this isn't noted anyway, is not set in stone and in the grand scheme of life doesn't matter. :)
Well said!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I agree again , it doesn't matter

Old 05-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Nobility

I would class Princess Alexandra as a part time royal, along with W, K and H.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Majesty

I think the list should be determined by The Queen in the CC - those who are listed there are:

HM The Queen
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
HRH The Prince of Wales
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall
HRH The Duke of Cambridge
Prince Henry
HRH The Duke of York
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge
HRH The Earl of Wessex
HRH The Countess of Wessex
HRH The Princess Royal
HRH The Duke of Gloucester
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester
HRH The Duke of Kent
HRH The Duchess of Kent
HRH Princess Alexandra

And before anyone attacks me over putting Kate below Harry and Andrew that is the order that The Queen has the list on the British Monarchy Court Circular website. Also listed there is HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother and HRH Princesses Margaret and Alice - presumably because the The Queen knows that people do like to look back and see what people did on a given day and this information being available lessens personal enquiries to the palace for that information)

Beatrice, Michael and Marie-Christine have been mentioned in the CC once each this year while Tim has been mentioned 11 times. Kate has done 24 - hardly close to full-time and really for a woman who doesn't have another job she really hasn't done much at all - Harry who works full-time in the army has done more than the unemployed Kate. I don't accept that a pregnant woman can't work and the excuses for her are wearing very thin - she isn't called Duchess DoLittle for nothing.

Only 4 members are over 100 at over a third of the year done - Charles (200) Anne Andrew and The Queen.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Courtier

In fact 15 is number of working royals (without "full time").
Now there are 15 royals officially representing british monarchy.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Royal Highness

I have never heard the term full time or part time royal before and don't actually know what it means. If you are royal, I presume you are royal 24/7!
Full time work in my opinion is working a minimum 35 hours a week. Part time work I think averages 20 hours a week. My partner works around 60 hours a week including work during the commute which is almost double a full time job so does that make normal full time jobs part time?
Do cigarette breaks, popping to the vending machine and chatting to your colleagues get taken off the actual hours you work, cos if that's the case most people I know are part-timers!!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I have never heard the term full time or part time royal before and don't actually know what it means. If you are royal, I presume you are royal 24/7!
There's a huge difference between being a full time working royal and a full time royal
Old 05-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not many of those 15 "full time Royals" actually work full time. The Countess of Wessex only works 3 days a week as she has small children, and she has only worked 3 days a week for a long time. The older generation (Duke of Kent, Gloucester's and Alexandra) don't work 5 days a week.

I agree with iluvebertie's statement regarding Catherine's small number. She may be pregnant but she can still do work. She isn't the first, nor is she the last, Royal wife to be pregnant and they have all worked harder than she has. Her workload could be reduced obviously, but she could still do more than a few appearances. Sophie worked more than Catherine has done when she was pregnant, even with James and she stopped working in October before his birth. She worked 2 days before she had Louise, but that was a different circumstance. Perhaps Catherine is in a precious condition...It as different in the 60's and 70's for pregnant Royals as pregnant women were not often "in public", but it's different nowadays.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
How many engagements are the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge expected/likely to carry out each year once they become full time working royals? Would the Wessexes be a good comparison as they also have young children? Is the increased number of engagements likely to offset the reduction by HM, DofE and Princess Alexandra?
Edward is considered "full time", whereas Sophie is considered "part time" as she only works 3 days a week, in theory. But as Iluvbertie said, the Wessex's are far down the line of succession that you can't really compare. William will work more than Catherine when he becomes full time as Catherine will be part time like Sophie, as they will have children. Unless they become full time Royals when Charles is King, then their children may be a bit older...Though how Catherine can get anymore part time than she is now is beyond me.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Majesty

Are we going there again?

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

We seem to always end up there.

Tags
princess beatrice