Annual Engagements by Members of the Royal Family 2011-2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, for example if they are flying to a state visit , they count getting on the plane after shaking hands with a few people as an engagement. Most of us would call it going to the airport.

I certainly don't count leaving for a tour or arriving home from a tour - although they are listed in the CC.

I also don't count 'Divine Service' although I do count Thanksgiving Services or other special services but not the church service that it would be expected a good Christian to attend.

I realise its not a competition but the public and press seem to make a big deal out of the number of engagements the Royals carry out and 270 seems on the low side in my opinion.
If Catherine's total after 7 1/2 years is 270 , the press will form a lynch mob.

Well you and the press can look at it from a different angle. Take into consideration the age of the people. Compare the royals by birth to the Queen and the spouses to Phillip. Example for Charles: Divide the Queen's age by Charles then multiple it by the number of engagement the Queen had and you get 571. This is the number of engagement that Charles should have performed to equal the Queen in relation to her age.

So using this formula only Prince Charles comes ahead.

VS. Queen
Charles 571
Anne 589
Andrew 703
Edward 761
William 1260
Harry 1305

VS Phillip
Camilla 455
Sophie 629
Kate 986

(Phillip is more than 3 times older than Kate. She's doing a 1/3 of what Phillip is doing rather than 3 times!!!:lol::lol::lol:

And the press missed this point but thought to compare a 65 year old woman to a 30 year old. Well compare away because using the same formula Kate would have had to perform 598 engagements to equal Camilla. :lol::lol::lol:

^^^^^^ See I use seniority and position rather than age to determine what is an acceptable number of engagements. Camilla is not a feeble and elderly woman, so IMO at least, as the wife of the heir and the second woman in the realm, she should be carrying out more engagements than junior women in the Royal Family.
As I stated in another comment, as long as the Queen employs her children and their spouses and her cousins and their spouses, I see no reason for her grandchildren to be full-time working royals.

Just to add, as Iluvbertie stated, I realise many charities and organisations don't want to be associated with Camilla, so I suppose her opportunities are limited somewhat, compared to other royals.

Last edited:
I think Bertie has said she does not count this as an engagement, whether Mr O'Donovan does is a question for him but given his numbers are lower than Bertie's it would seem doubtful.

They did get a tick for sitting in the stands watching the Olympics like any other spectator though. Personally I wouldn't call that a working engagement, nor would I call watching a film work - I suppose it depends whether you are wearing jeans or an evening gown LOL.

I appreciate there has to be an objective standard though and I can't just pick and choose what I call working engagements and what I call entertainment which no doubts differs from what others would count. I think Bertie has the right method by counting what appears in the Court Circular minus arriving at airports - that takes value judgements out of the process.
The court circular counts it as an engagement is my point.

The court circular counts it as an engagement is my point.

The CC doesn't 'count' anything.

It simply records it. It is up to people to do a 'count' if they so wish to do so.

As their is usually some formality associated with the royals leaving for and arriving home from a tour there is a reason for is being recorded in the CC - just as Divine Service is recorded when they are at Sandringham and Balmoral but nowhere else.

Just to add, as Iluvbertie stated, I realise many charities and organisations don't want to be associated with Camilla, so I suppose her opportunities are limited somewhat, compared to other royals.

I agree that Camilla could and should be seen a bit more. A number of around 350-400 engagements (on IluvBertie's count) a year is probably were I would expect her total to be on a "steady state" basis, so I am glad to see her number having risen to around 350 now.

That said, I do not believe there is any shortage of charitable organisations that would welcome the opportunity of being associated with Camilla. As somebody pointed out, the fact is that Camilla was nearly 60 when she entered royal life, and was just not used to a full time job. Given that she was a full time housewife, I think she has done well to steadily build up to this level of activity.

The CC doesn't 'count' anything.

It simply records it. It is up to people to do a 'count' if they so wish to do so.

As their is usually some formality associated with the royals leaving for and arriving home from a tour there is a reason for is being recorded in the CC - just as Divine Service is recorded when they are at Sandringham and Balmoral but nowhere else.

Excuse me, I should have said the court circular 'lists' it under engagements.

I think Camilla is doing a pretty good job within the family and the amount of engagements that comfortable for her to do.

I really don't expect Camillia to be doing official engagements on the same level as Charles or Anne because they were handed a great deal of responsibility from The Queen & Prince Philip, The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret. It seems natural that the hardest working royals are The Queen, Philip, Charles and Anne.

I think this will continue until some of these duties pass on to the younger royals.

Hey guys any idea if there are similar compilations of annual engagements of other royal families, especially Spanish/Danish/Dutch? Do the palaces release the figures or someone volunteers like this? Are they discussed together in any other thread (number specifically)?Where can we get those figures? Atleast a rough idea..I am sure they will not be lesser than BRF since they have very less number of working royals..

Hey guys any idea if there are similar compilations of annual engagements of other royal families, especially Spanish/Danish/Dutch? Do the palaces release the figures or someone volunteers like this? Are they discussed together in any other thread (number specifically)?Where can we get those figures? Atleast a rough idea..I am sure they will not be lesser than BRF since they have very less number of working royals..

I would think your best bet would be to ask around under the threads covering the different monarchies here. They would know more than the folks that just follow and track the activities of the British royals.

2013 Annual Engagements Thread

The 2012 thread reached at least 17 pages so I thought I would start a new thread for 2013 as well as the fact that there is still discussion taking place about the 2012 figures etc which to my mind would make starting the 2013 figures a little confusing. The figures below are the figures from 2012 that both Mr O'Donovan and I arrived at with his in brackets and the difference between our figures identified. I thought that starting the new year with the totals for 2012 would give people an easy reference point as the year progresses to see how the Jubilee year may have affected the totals.

This year I am adding an entry for Tim and for spouses will also be indicating when they simply accompany the main royal as opposed to when they do a duty on their own.​

HM The Queen - 578 (425) - I am over by - 153
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 404 (325) - I am over by - 79
HRH The Prince of Wales - 681 (592) - I am over by - 89
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 339 (276) - I am over by - 63
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 96* (88) - I am over by - 8
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 124 (111) I am over by - 13
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 71 (61) - I am over by - 10
HRH The Duke of York - 452 (436) - I am over by - 16
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 20 (0) - I am over by 20
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 16 (0) - I am over by - 16
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 454 (431) - I am over by - 23
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 360 (324) - I am over by - 36
HRH The Princess Royal - 563 (566) - I am under by - 3
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 352 (337) - I am over by - 15
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 151 (146) - I am over by - 5
HRH The Duke of Kent - 249 (239) - I am over by - 10
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 8 (0) - I am over by - 8
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 23 (0) - I am over by - 23
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 21 (0) - I am over by - 21
HRH Princess Alexandra - 107 (110) - I am under by - 3

Weekly update to 2nd January, 2013

As expected at this time of the year there have been no engagements. Last year the first engagement was done on the 5th January by HRH The Duchess of Gloucester. It is possible that someone may do something in this upcoming week. If not the first entry is likely to be the 9th January - Kate's birthday. I don't count birthdays as an engagement of course but they are listed.​

HM The Queen - 0
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 0
HRH The Prince of Wales - 0
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 0
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 0
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 0
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 0
HRH The Duke of York - 0
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 0
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 0
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 0
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 0
HRH The Princess Royal - 0
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 0
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 0
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 0
HRH The Duke of Kent - 0
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 0
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 0
HRH Princess Alexandra - 0

Last edited:
ITs been mentioned that the court circular doesn't include everything. Prince Charles made a speech at the Oxford Farming Conference (widely covered in the press) but it is not mentioned in the court circular. What is mentioned is that Princess Anne attended the same conference in her role as Honorary President. Doesn't make sense.

It won't be in the figures yet as the event took place on the 3rd and was reported today (4th).

That happens - there are quite a few things that have been reported in the press that aren't then recorded in the CC.

My count is only of those things that are recorded in the CC so Anne's will count but not Charles'.

Maybe he was a guest and had no official capacity - but you have to stick with the CC

According to the CC, The Princess Royal has carried out her first engagement on the 3rd January. That woman never rests!

When I did my check of the CC there was nothing for the 3rd January although there is now - sometimes they are slow at getting it up.

I will include Anne's engagement in next week's count.

I realise many charities and organisations don't want to be associated with Camilla, so I suppose her opportunities are limited somewhat, compared to other royals.

I disagree that Camilla's numbers are low because charities and organizations do not want her.

I think her engagements are determined by 2 factors.

1. Charles' schedule.
She could easily increase her numbers by joining Charles on some of his engagements even if there is nothing for her to do but she chooses not to do this. Camilla seems to perform more solo duties than Sophie. We'll have to wait until, Iluvbertie gives us the list showing accompanying vs solo duties.)

2. Lola, Eliza, Gus, Louis and Freddy. (Five very good reasons to stay at home with a good book to read to some very nice little people...):)

A large percentagle of Camilla's engagements are done by accompanying Charles. How high that % is I hope to show but I suspect close to 60% or maybe higher. Sophie I suspect will be much the same (as will Philip's).

A large percentagle of Camilla's engagements are done by accompanying Charles. How high that % is I hope to show but I suspect close to 60% or maybe higher. Sophie I suspect will be much the same (as will Philip's).

Sophie really does not do that many engagements with Edward, except if they are on foreign tours. Camilla does tend to do more with Charles than Sophie with Edward. It is a bit odd really as I would have thought Sophie would accompany her husband but she doesn't.

I am looking forward to see how many engagements are joint; it will be interesting to see. I am glad you are including Tim this year too. The poor man works quite hard and goes so unnoticed.

My comment is based in having studied the CC for a year and how often I recorded exactly the same thing for both partners in a couple. I actually went back and did a quick count - 216/360 = 59.1% so my guess of 'about 60%' is pretty accurate for Sophie.

The couple who do the least together are the Gloucesters - they rarely did a joint engagement.

Last edited:
Sorry - no update this week due to my regular computer having crashed last night - Friday. The Excel document I use is on that computer and I can't access it at the moment. As it took me about 10 hours to set it up I don't want to have to spend that amount of time on doing so if the guys at work can fix the computer on Monday. When I know the score with regards to the state of the computer I will do the weekly update for this week and next week but please understand why there is no update this week - although there have also been very few engagements anyway.

Sorry - no update this week due to my regular computer having crashed last night - Friday. The Excel document I use is on that computer and I can't access it at the moment. As it took me about 10 hours to set it up I don't want to have to spend that amount of time on doing so if the guys at work can fix the computer on Monday. When I know the score with regards to the state of the computer I will do the weekly update for this week and next week but please understand why there is no update this week - although there have also been very few engagements anyway.

So sorry to hear about the computer crash!! I know how frustrating that can be. Perhaps, even if they cannot repair the computer itself and the hard drive isn't part of the problem, someone could install that hard drive into another computer perhaps even side by side with a new hard drive. I've seen it done, I've had it done before but if you'd ask me how to do it, there would be a blank look cross my face.

I have no doubt that the guys will be able to at least get the info off the disk unless that is the problem because all the computers at the school, including the staff computers that we buy are the same.

Latest update - yes the guys at work have been able to recover the harddisk - the computer is kaput though. However they saved all the stuff to my profile at school, meaning I can't access it until later this week when school resumes so will give an update next Saturday - 26th January. Teachers, at my school, resume on the 24th and that is when I will be able to access the school system again.

Weekly update to 9th January

A slow week of course as most are still on holidays.

HM The Queen - 4 (0 - up 4)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 0 (0 no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Duke of York - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Princess Royal - 3 ( 0 - up 3)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 3 (0 - up 3)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 1 (0 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 2 (0 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 0 (0 - no change)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list. I do move people around who have moved up or down but I am not putting in how many places they are moving - although usually it is only one place in either direction.

HM The Queen – 4
HRH The Princess Royal - 3
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 3
HRH The Duke of Kent - 2
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 1
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 0
HRH The Prince of Wales - 0
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 0
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 0
HRH The Duke of York - 0
HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 0
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 0
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 0
HRH Princess Michael of Kent -0

Year to date total - 13 with 53% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.

The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 30%.

30% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.

46% done by those 70 and above

100% are being done by those over 60.

23% were done by those in their 60s.

31% have been done byThe Queen.

0% were done by Charles.

I am going to do the next two weeks in separate posts as well so that we can all see the week by week build-up.

Thanks for everyone's understanding while I was minus the details needed to do this.

Last edited:
Weekly update to 17th January

The numbers are starting to creep up this week with Charles back in full swing.

HM The Queen - 5 (5 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 2 (0 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 1 (0 - up 1)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 1 (0 - up 1)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Duke of York - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 4 (0 - no change)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 4 (1 - up 3)
HRH The Princess Royal - 14 (3 - up 11)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 7 (3 - up 4)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 3 (1 - up 2)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 4 (2 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 0 (0 - no change)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list. I do move people around who have moved up or down but I am not putting in how many places they are moving - although usually it is only one place in either direction.

HRH The Princess Royal - 14
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 7
HM The Queen – 5
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 4
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 4
HRH The Duke of Kent - 4
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 3
HRH The Prince of Wales - 2
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 1
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 1
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 0
HRH The Duke of York - 0
HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 0
HRH Princess Michael of Kent -0

Year to date total - 45 with 64% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.

The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 20%.

11% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.

20% done by those 70 and above

78% are being done by those over 60.

36% were done by those in their 60s.

11% have been done by The Queen.

4% were done by Charles.

Last edited:
Confuse, are you saying that it was William engagement and Kate accompanied him or the other way around?

Confuse, are you saying that it was William engagement and Kate accompanied him or the other way around?

I have to say this "accompanied" calculation is confusing as well. I dont see how any comparison can be made with last year and it moves away from how all other calulations are made.

Still, thank you for doing this.:flowers:

Question - was the D&D of Cambridge engagement the unveiling of Catherine's portrait?

I think its her engagement and he accompanied her. She spoke to the artist and introduced William to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom