The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The imperial state crown is used. St Edwards crown is only used during the coronation
Yes, the monarch is crowned with St Edwards crown, but QEII left the abbey 60 years ago wearing the lighter Imperial State Crown which she also wears for the state opnings of Parliament.
St Edwards weighs nearly 5lbs so would definitely give one a headache if they had to wear it all day.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Commoner

Quote:
After the service, it wasn't so glum. Lots of cousin interactions between the royals.
Exactly!!! Everyone seemed in good spirits to me. Lovely interaction and pics after the service.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I noticed watching the bbc coverage that prince Michael bowed to the altar before going to his seat. I didn't figure out why until Cameron and the verger did they same before his reading. They were all bowing to the actual crown.
I think they were probably bowing to the altar rather than the crown.

When I was on the church choir (we were C of E) we always bowed to the altar when we processed into the church. We would also genuflect when going up to receive communion.

I don't know whether it still happens in Catholic churches but it was also common for people to genuflect when going into church.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Serene Highness

If it was a catholic service is would make sense. But it isn't . I did not see anything similar during the royal wedding or the jubilee service last year. I also thought it was strange that the dean of Westminster did parts of the service facing the high altar instead of the congregation.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Courtier

I have to say that all the royal ladies looked great, especially Beatrice and Eugenie. I'm glad to see that they both have stepped up their fashion sense.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Aristocracy

i think i'm right in this, but i believe it's the first time that i haven't seen the extended family (Linleys, Chattos, Kent and Gloucester offspring) at a gathering like this. I miss seeing what Lady Helen would be wearing. I wonder if the balcony for Trooping will reflect this sort of 'slimmed down' Royal family...

Princess Anne looked lovely except for her gloves and handbag (too dark). Everyone looked lovely, though i would single out Kate and Sophie as looking the best. I would have like to have seen the two York princesses in a lighter colour as befits the season (IMO of course!)
Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Heir Apparent

The full service in one file. Also available in torrent format online.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
On the fashion front, the ladies looked really good overall. But otherwise?

Generally, William, Harry, and Andrew looked glum, so did Anne;even Beatrix (normally a smile a second); the Queen most of the time and I'd say 50:50 for the others. What was up? Just my opinion but it didn't seem like a happy event.
Personally I'm thinking that Phillip's health is on their minds. He missed an event the night before and these health episodes seem to be happening about every six months now.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I think they were probably bowing to the altar rather than the crown.

When I was on the church choir (we were C of E) we always bowed to the altar when we processed into the church. We would also genuflect when going up to receive communion.

I don't know whether it still happens in Catholic churches but it was also common for people to genuflect when going into church.
In the Anglican church one genuflects toward the altar because the consecrated host is present.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC Nature - 'Coronation meadows' plan seeks to revive wildflower sites

60 Coronation meadows to be established. It is an iniative of the PoW to restore/revive the UKs wildflower meadows. There will be a meadow in each county of the UK.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Do we have any idea if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended the private lunch? I didn't see them in the vid on ITN nor have I seen any pics but thought I'd ask just incase I missed anything.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:09 AM
Commoner

Thanks for the links, everyone. I will watch the service later today

I love this photo of C&C
Old 06-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Majesty

I wonder if Charles & Camilla and William & Catherine were thinking about their future Coronations? Especially seeing the holy oil for the anointing and later The Coronation Chair.

Pictures:
60th Anniversary of the Queen’s Coronation:
http://www.newmyroyals.com/2013/06/6...oronation.html

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I wonder if Charles & Camilla and William & Catherine were thinking about their future Coronations? Especially seeing the holy oil for the anointing and later The Coronation Chair.
I would think the one that would be acutely aware of this would be Charles as he knows his time is coming up sooner than in the far reaches of the future. He's the only one that has any kind of a glimmer as to what it feels like to go through something like a coronation too albeit a more minor one when he had his investiture as the Prince of Wales.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I would think the one that would be acutely aware of this would be Charles as he knows his time is coming up sooner than in the far reaches of the future. He's the only one that has any kind of a glimmer as to what it feels like to go through something like a coronation too albeit a more minor one when he had his investiture as the Prince of Wales.
I agree, the Investiture of The Prince of Wales is a ceremony that seems to prepare you for the Coronation. Something William will go through.

True, Charles's future Coronation is getting nearer as time goes on. I'm guessing the whole family must have these thoughts in the back of their minds.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Do we have any idea if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended the private lunch? I didn't see them in the vid on ITN nor have I seen any pics but thought I'd ask just incase I missed anything.
No they didn't - from the Court Circular:

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh, with The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, and The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, afterwards attended Receptions and subsequently were entertained to Luncheon by the Dean in College Hall.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree, the Investiture of The Prince of Wales is a ceremony that seems to prepare you for the Coronation. Something William will go through.

True, Charles's future Coronation is getting nearer as time goes on. I'm guessing the whole family must have these thoughts in the back of their minds.
I very much doubt William will ever go through an investiture as PoW. He will most likely get the title but the actual investiture is pretty much a modern made up ceremony with no ancient links and is not at all a requirement.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Serene Highness

Especially since William would most likely be named prince of wales during the time between the queens death and Charles being crowned. Only Charles and Edward VIII had a ceremony. Charles's was a made for tv event setup by lord Snowdon