60th Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation: June 4, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait, are you guys telling me that William won't have an investiture ceremony?

Charles was named Prince of Wales & Earl of Chester in 1958 but his investiture ceremony took place in 1969.

I think William should have an Investiture Ceremony as Prince of Wales. It would be silly not to have one, IMO. It will be nice to see William being formally invested with the (Honours of the Principality of Wales) regalia and Coronet.

Last edited:
Did anyone make out the three rows of family seating order in the church? The angle made it hard to discern those closest to the camera. I lost it this side of Harry and on back:
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/16...Pf9jPPUJcBEU43/XcfcxhdgEWM9TcXPa9q/5YHzv1kw==

Thanks for the reply on this. 4 rows, order of precedence - I see it now!
And thanks to the DM :)ohmy:) I figured out that to Prince Harry's left, the front row held the original Maids of Honor. See: Hats our girls: The Duchess of Cambridge leads a stylish display of headgear at the Queen's coronation celebrations | Mail Online
I wondered to whom those hats belonged and it was Lady Anne Glenconner wearing that pretty rose print that can be seen in some of the photos.

Charles was named Prince of Wales & Earl of Chester in 1958 but his investiture ceremony took place in 1969.

I think William should have an Investiture Ceremony as Prince of Wales. It would be silly not to have one, IMO. It will be nice to see William being formally invested with the regalia and Coronet.

He doesn't need to have one, particularly in a time of mourning it might not occur.

He doesn't need to have one, particularly in a time of mourning it might not occur.

I know William don't need to have an Investiture Ceremony. It's only a formal ceremony but I don't expect him to have an Investiture ceremony after The Queen's passing. I'm talking about at least awhile after Charles's Coronation. A year later or something. I just think there should be a formal ceremony.

Well I suppose if the Welsh Assembly ask for such a ceremony it might happen but I think it highly unlikely. Like I said previously it is not exactly a ceremony rooted in ancient history, it was a made for tv event in 1969 and only Edward VIII had previously had any kind of a ceremony.

Especially since William would most likely be named prince of wales during the time between the queens death and Charles being crowned. Only Charles and Edward VIII had a ceremony. Charles's was a made for tv event setup by lord Snowdon

True, but an investiture doesn't have to happen when he becomes PoW. Charles became PoW in 1958, but the ceremony didn't happen until 1969.

I think William should have an Investiture Ceremony as Prince of Wales. It would be silly not to have one, IMO. It will be nice to see William being formally invested with the (Honours of the Principality of Wales) regalia and Coronet.

It would be nice, but it's not necessary. There is no tradition of having an investiture, Charles' ceremony was essentially a made up one.

There will be enough complaints about the cost of Charles coronation, plus people saying William wont be PoW for long.

There will be enough complaints about the cost of Charles coronation, plus people saying William wont be PoW for long.
True, but also the wishes of the people in power in Cardiff will need to be taken into account. They may not want such a ceremony to take place. It is even possible they may wish the heir to stop using the PoW title and just stick with being Duke of Cornwall.

Well, we'll see what will happen. I just think there should at least be a formal ceremony for William sometime down the line...even if it's a couple of years after Charles's Coronation.

True, but also the wishes of the people in power in Cardiff will need to be taken into account. They may not want such a ceremony to take place. It is even possible they may wish the heir to stop using the PoW title and just stick with being Duke of Cornwall.

I agree with the first part, and this is probably the subject for a different thread, but I don't believe that the Welsh Assembly has the power regarding titles. They can request, but no power.

And I also seem to recall that the use of the title was called a "free plug for Wales" as in tourism, everytime its mentioned. ;)

I know the Welsh have no power over titles but since devolution I think the wishes of Wales and its elected Welsh Assembly might have to be taken into account, certainly more so than in previous eras.

The Welsh people and Assembly may want a new Prince of Wales and may want a formal ceremony and invite their new Prince & Princess of Wales to tour Wales.

^^^^
All things are possible, but nothing is guaranteed.

No they didn't - from the Court Circular:

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh, with The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, and The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, afterwards attended Receptions and subsequently were entertained to Luncheon by the Dean in College Hall.
Thanks cepe. I appreaciate you looking that up for me. :flowers: Looks like none of the younger royals attended.

Just to go back to the William's investiture discussion (this will probably get deleted for off topic) Charles was named pow as a young teenager and invested as a young man several years after his mother's coronation. William is the complete opposite. He will be in is mid 30s with a wife and at least one kid. His naming as pow and his father's coronation will be around the same timeframe.

I can see a joint engagement in wales between Charles and William & Kate as a introduction for the new pow. Then a tour of wales for the new prince& princess instead a investiture ceremony.

I do see a tour of Wales in the works when William & Catherine become the new Prince & Princess of Wales. It's going to be great to have a new Princess of Wales again.

I think The Queen's Coronation Anniversary ceremony have me thinking about the future Coronations and Investiture ceremonies a bit too much. I just hope I'm around to see the next Coronation, as it will be my first time witnessing such an event.

I do see a tour of Wales in the works when William & Catherine become the new Prince & Princess of Wales. It's going to be great to have a new Princess of Wales again.

We already have a Princess of Wales.

There will be a new Prince as well as Princess if William is named Prince of Wales.

Royal firm in fine fettle:
Royal firm in fine fettle | Royal | News | Daily Express

A pretty nice read on the Monarchy.

We already have a Princess of Wales.

There will be a new Prince as well as Princess if William is named Prince of Wales.

Yes I know. I'm just pointing out that it will be nice to have a royal who we can address as The Princess of Wales. Camilla may be the current Princess of Wales but she's not officially addressed as so. It's going to make a difference when we all are able to address William & Catherine as Their Royal Highnesses The Prince & Princess of Wales.

Last edited:
I think the article have a way of reminding us that the Monarchy has come a long way.

I watched that with interest. What a lovely idea to bring out the St Edward's Crown and the Ampulla for the service. The Queen looked regal as ever.

My mum spoke to me last night to say she had watched it as she'd recorded it and she wondered why they sang God Save The Queen at the start. Is there a reason why?

Last edited:
My mum spoke to me last night to say she had watched it as she'd recorded it and she wondered why they sang God Save The Queen at the start. Is there a reason why?

Why wouldn't they sing it at the start? Don't they do that at most royal official outings? Like RVP, Festival of Remembrance?

Why wouldn't they sing it at the start? Don't they do that at most royal official outings? Like RVP, Festival of Remembrance?

I don't know as I hadn't really noticed it before but then thought that it would have been something sang at the end. I suppose it doesn't really matter, as long as it is in sang.

I think the article have a way of reminding us that the Monarchy has come a long way.

You have a positive outlook, but they emphasised the errors and then said it was a shame Charles had to be king and we should skip him for William.

Monarchies don't work like that, as we all know but it's raised again. So not that positive for the future.

Coronation Festival at Buckingham Palace: July 11th-14th 2013
The Gardens at Buckingham Palace will be the venue for a one-off event this Summer. Celebrate with us as we experience the best of food & drink, interact with design & technology, indulge in homes & gardens and shop from British styles, pursuits & pastimes-
https://www.coronationfestival.com/

'The Queen's Coronation 1953' exhibition at Buckingham Palace in London - Telegraph

This summers exhibition at Buckingham Palace based on the coronation. Looks amazing.

Video:
ROYAL: CORONATION EXHIBITION:
A new exhibition celebrating the Queen's coronation is set to open at Buckingham Palace. The exhibition brings together jewels, robes and other artefacts from the coronation day 60 years ago. Shows: gvs of artefacts and intv Caroline De guitaut, Royal Collection-
Home - ITNSource News

A very impressive exhibition indeed. You can also see the Cartier Halo Tiara HRH Princess Margaret wore at the Coronation and now on loan to HRH Duchess of Cambridge.

Back
Top Bottom