The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

More pics

Kuningatar Elisabethin kruunamisen 60-vuotisjuhlallisuuksia | Lehtikuva | lehtikuva.fi

Kate Middleton, enceinte, recycle avec classe et brille avec Sophie de Wessex

Elizabeth II fêtée : Kate Middleton enceinte et la famille royale à Westminster

Old 06-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Serene Highness

Did we miss something?

From the beloved DM:

Also at Westminster Abbey was the Netherlands' newly crowned King, Willem-Alexander, and his wife, Queen Maxima.

Read more: Duchess of Cornwall is radiant in eau de nil silk as she arrives for the coronation celebrations at Westminster Abbey | Mail Online

Old 06-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just managed to watch the end of the ceremony now as I left before it finished. Lovely to see videos of the Royals outside and so cute to see Catherine, and even Beatrice and Eugenie, talking to Louise. She must feel very grown up with all these older cousins!

Of course they managed to make an article on the DM out of Sophie's dress blowing up. Surprise, surprise. I was right in guessing it was by Bruce Oldfield though!

Wait, Maxima and Willem were there? Aren't they in Germany?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
From the beloved DM:

Also at Westminster Abbey was the Netherlands' newly crowned King, Willem-Alexander, and his wife, Queen Maxima.

Read more: Duchess of Cornwall is radiant in eau de nil silk as she arrives for the coronation celebrations at Westminster Abbey | Mail Online
One doesn't read the DM for factual reporting. Pictures yes, gossip maybe but definitely not for factual info.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Did Beatrice and Eugenie not go to the lunch afterwards? They travelled back with Lady Louise. I couldn't work out why Edward and Sophie left Louise behind but then I saw images of her with her older cousins.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Courtier

I thought they all looked great today. It's wonderful that Prince Philip was feeling well enough to join the Queen today.

Perhaps I missed it while reading through the forum, but does anyone have a link to at least one good picture of the Princess Royal and what she was wearing. There is one in the Daily Mail article of her sitting two rows behind the queen, but I couldn't see her very well.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
One doesn't read the DM for factual reporting. Pictures yes, gossip maybe but definitely not for factual info.
Of course not, but how could they get it so wrong? Purely out of thin air...I wonder if they deliberately make errors in order to see if anyone is copying their material?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Perhaps I missed it while reading through the forum, but does anyone have a link to at least one good picture of the Princess Royal and what she was wearing. There is one in the Daily Mail article of her sitting two rows behind the queen, but I couldn't see her very well.
There's a very nice picture of Princess Anne in this article:

Old 06-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

On the fashion front, the ladies looked really good overall. But otherwise?

Generally, William, Harry, and Andrew looked glum, so did Anne;even Beatrix (normally a smile a second); the Queen most of the time and I'd say 50:50 for the others. What was up? Just my opinion but it didn't seem like a happy event.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Thank you, I think she looks terrific.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Aristocracy

Hats our girls: The Duchess of Cambridge leads a stylish display of headgear at the Queen's coronation celebrations | Mail Online
Don't know if anyone has put these up, but a nice collection of outfits and hats :)
Old 06-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Courtier

Call me morbid did anyone get a sense of rehearsal for the next Coronation.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Serene Highness

Not really. The service was set up to echo the coronation in 53- I Was Glad with the Vivat,the hymn that was sung in 53, the same motet etc. It was less formal that a coronation would be.

The music during the service was wonderful. The Dean of Westminster has a great voice. I was impressed that David Cameron didn't stubble over all the Old Testament biblical names in his reading while the commonwealth secretary kind of mumbled thru his.

William had the non descript facial expression thru the service. I don't if was bored or is practicing his show no emotion face like the queen has which makes her seems angry somewhat.

I noticed watching the bbc coverage that prince Michael bowed to the altar before going to his seat. I didn't figure out why until Cameron and the verger did they same before his reading. They were all bowing to the actual crown.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Nothing like a coronation, but it did seem very solemn overall, whereas I expected a celebration. Everything was muted -except the VIVAT! which brought a tear to the eye (daft old bat that I am).

There was a high % of glumness.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Nothing like a coronation, but it did seem very solemn overall, whereas I expected a celebration. Everything was muted -except the VIVAT! which brought a tear to the eye (daft old bat that I am).

There was a high % of glumness.
Perhaps just a realization that there cannot be many more celebrations such as this and that maybe the next time they all gather at the Abbey it will be for a funeral.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Call me morbid did anyone get a sense of rehearsal for the next Coronation.
I didn't get a sense that it was a rehearsal for the next Coronation but, given the Queen's age, I think it is only natural that these anniversaries are starting to remind people that she will not be around forever. It's bittersweet. People naturally celebrate the last sixty-plus years, but are reminded that the years are numbered. Perhaps the next Coronation was discussed during the 40 or 50 year celebration, but it wasn't as real.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Courtier

Aparently this crown hasn't left the Tower in 60 years. So what is the crown the Queen wears every year at the opening of Parliament?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Serene Highness

After the service, it wasn't so glum. Lots of cousin interactions between the royals.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Aparently this crown hasn't left the Tower in 60 years. So what is the crown the Queen wears every year at the opening of Parliament?
The imperial state crown is used. St Edwards crown is only used during the coronation
Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
The Queen wears The Imperial State Crown when opening Parliament. The St Edward's Crown (which you saw at the service today) is only used at Coronations to crown the Monarch. Today was the crown's first outing since the 1953 Coronation.

Dr. Maya Angelou