60th Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation: June 4, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Call me morbid did anyone get a sense of rehearsal for the next Coronation.

Not really. The service was set up to echo the coronation in 53- I Was Glad with the Vivat,the hymn that was sung in 53, the same motet etc. It was less formal that a coronation would be.

The music during the service was wonderful. The Dean of Westminster has a great voice. I was impressed that David Cameron didn't stubble over all the Old Testament biblical names in his reading while the commonwealth secretary kind of mumbled thru his.

William had the non descript facial expression thru the service. I don't if was bored or is practicing his show no emotion face like the queen has which makes her seems angry somewhat.

I noticed watching the bbc coverage that prince Michael bowed to the altar before going to his seat. I didn't figure out why until Cameron and the verger did they same before his reading. They were all bowing to the actual crown.

Nothing like a coronation, but it did seem very solemn overall, whereas I expected a celebration. Everything was muted -except the VIVAT! which brought a tear to the eye (daft old bat that I am).

There was a high % of glumness.

Nothing like a coronation, but it did seem very solemn overall, whereas I expected a celebration. Everything was muted -except the VIVAT! which brought a tear to the eye (daft old bat that I am).

There was a high % of glumness.

Perhaps just a realization that there cannot be many more celebrations such as this and that maybe the next time they all gather at the Abbey it will be for a funeral.

Last edited:
Call me morbid did anyone get a sense of rehearsal for the next Coronation.

I didn't get a sense that it was a rehearsal for the next Coronation but, given the Queen's age, I think it is only natural that these anniversaries are starting to remind people that she will not be around forever. It's bittersweet. People naturally celebrate the last sixty-plus years, but are reminded that the years are numbered. Perhaps the next Coronation was discussed during the 40 or 50 year celebration, but it wasn't as real.

Aparently this crown hasn't left the Tower in 60 years. So what is the crown the Queen wears every year at the opening of Parliament?

After the service, it wasn't so glum. Lots of cousin interactions between the royals.

Aparently this crown hasn't left the Tower in 60 years. So what is the crown the Queen wears every year at the opening of Parliament?

The imperial state crown is used. St Edwards crown is only used during the coronation

The Queen wears The Imperial State Crown when opening Parliament. The St Edward's Crown (which you saw at the service today) is only used at Coronations to crown the Monarch. Today was the crown's first outing since the 1953 Coronation.

The imperial state crown is used. St Edwards crown is only used during the coronation

Yes, the monarch is crowned with St Edwards crown, but QEII left the abbey 60 years ago wearing the lighter Imperial State Crown which she also wears for the state opnings of Parliament.
St Edwards weighs nearly 5lbs so would definitely give one a headache if they had to wear it all day.

I noticed watching the bbc coverage that prince Michael bowed to the altar before going to his seat. I didn't figure out why until Cameron and the verger did they same before his reading. They were all bowing to the actual crown.

I think they were probably bowing to the altar rather than the crown.

When I was on the church choir (we were C of E) we always bowed to the altar when we processed into the church. We would also genuflect when going up to receive communion.

I don't know whether it still happens in Catholic churches but it was also common for people to genuflect when going into church.

If it was a catholic service is would make sense. But it isn't . I did not see anything similar during the royal wedding or the jubilee service last year. I also thought it was strange that the dean of Westminster did parts of the service facing the high altar instead of the congregation.

I have to say that all the royal ladies looked great, especially Beatrice and Eugenie. I'm glad to see that they both have stepped up their fashion sense.

i think i'm right in this, but i believe it's the first time that i haven't seen the extended family (Linleys, Chattos, Kent and Gloucester offspring) at a gathering like this. I miss seeing what Lady Helen would be wearing. I wonder if the balcony for Trooping will reflect this sort of 'slimmed down' Royal family...

Princess Anne looked lovely except for her gloves and handbag (too dark). Everyone looked lovely, though i would single out Kate and Sophie as looking the best. I would have like to have seen the two York princesses in a lighter colour as befits the season (IMO of course!)

On the fashion front, the ladies looked really good overall. But otherwise?

Generally, William, Harry, and Andrew looked glum, so did Anne;even Beatrix (normally a smile a second); the Queen most of the time and I'd say 50:50 for the others. What was up? Just my opinion but it didn't seem like a happy event.

Personally I'm thinking that Phillip's health is on their minds. He missed an event the night before and these health episodes seem to be happening about every six months now.:sad:

I think they were probably bowing to the altar rather than the crown.

When I was on the church choir (we were C of E) we always bowed to the altar when we processed into the church. We would also genuflect when going up to receive communion.

I don't know whether it still happens in Catholic churches but it was also common for people to genuflect when going into church.
In the Anglican church one genuflects toward the altar because the consecrated host is present.

Do we have any idea if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended the private lunch? I didn't see them in the vid on ITN nor have I seen any pics but thought I'd ask just incase I missed anything.

Thanks for the links, everyone. I will watch the service later today

I love this photo of C&C

I wonder if Charles & Camilla and William & Catherine were thinking about their future Coronations? Especially seeing the holy oil for the anointing and later The Coronation Chair.

I would think the one that would be acutely aware of this would be Charles as he knows his time is coming up sooner than in the far reaches of the future. He's the only one that has any kind of a glimmer as to what it feels like to go through something like a coronation too albeit a more minor one when he had his investiture as the Prince of Wales.

I would think the one that would be acutely aware of this would be Charles as he knows his time is coming up sooner than in the far reaches of the future. He's the only one that has any kind of a glimmer as to what it feels like to go through something like a coronation too albeit a more minor one when he had his investiture as the Prince of Wales.

I agree, the Investiture of The Prince of Wales is a ceremony that seems to prepare you for the Coronation. Something William will go through.

True, Charles's future Coronation is getting nearer as time goes on. I'm guessing the whole family must have these thoughts in the back of their minds.

Do we have any idea if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended the private lunch? I didn't see them in the vid on ITN nor have I seen any pics but thought I'd ask just incase I missed anything.

No they didn't - from the Court Circular:

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh, with The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, and The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, afterwards attended Receptions and subsequently were entertained to Luncheon by the Dean in College Hall.

I agree, the Investiture of The Prince of Wales is a ceremony that seems to prepare you for the Coronation. Something William will go through.

True, Charles's future Coronation is getting nearer as time goes on. I'm guessing the whole family must have these thoughts in the back of their minds.

I very much doubt William will ever go through an investiture as PoW. He will most likely get the title but the actual investiture is pretty much a modern made up ceremony with no ancient links and is not at all a requirement.

Especially since William would most likely be named prince of wales during the time between the queens death and Charles being crowned. Only Charles and Edward VIII had a ceremony. Charles's was a made for tv event setup by lord Snowdon

Back
Top Bottom