Royalty of Malaysia 1: September 2004-October 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cutie

Gentry
Please share any pictures and recent news of Royal Families in Malaysia.

One picture from the Installation of the 12th Yang Di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia on 25th Apr 2002

Attachments

• Agong ditabal.jpg
    Agong ditabal.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 3,909
Last edited:
Hi Ephram,
I am interested in anything about Malaysian royalty.

1) is the current king doing a good job? is he popular?
2) how does the rotation system work? would there be a chance that one sultan can become king twice in his lifetime?
3) is the sultan of malaysia allowed to have many wives like the sultan of brunei?
4) when the sultan of selagnor passed away, who took his place. i noticed that his wife is still a sultana.
5) why does the malaysian royalty seldom attend weddings in europe?
6) does the sultan of the eight states get together often for goverment events?
7) of all the sultans, which is the most/lease popular?
8) do the people of brunei and malaysian think the crown prince of brunei made a good choice of his new bride?

i know i have many questions, but there is not much info on the web. thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Malaysian royals in Italy June 10 , 2003

King Yang Di-Pertuan Agong & Queen Raja Permaisuri

Attachments

• FMP-23-09-13830451.jpg
    FMP-23-09-13830451.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 992
  • FMP-23-09-13860451.jpg
    FMP-23-09-13860451.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 900
  • FMP-23-09-13900451.jpg
    FMP-23-09-13900451.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 3,086
Wow! Cutie. It seems that you are very interested in Malaysian royalty. Alright, I'll try to answer your questions kay...:-

(1) The current King, His Majesty Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin is a good King of Malaysia. He is the twelth Yang Di-Pertuan Agong. He is a very down to earth monarch, quite religious and humble. He is of the descendant of the Prophet Muhammad S.A.W from his grandson, Hussin Bin Ali R.A. He's very popular but he himself (from my viewpoint-keep in low profile) but very well-respected by Malaysians and other people. He always keep in touch with all of us here in Malaysia and very dedicated in carrying out his duties.

(2) In every 5 years, there'll be changing of Yang Di-Pertuan Agong (or Supreme Ruler of Malaysia) in a Special Conference of Malay Rulers. All the nine rulers deserve to be selected as Yang Di-Pertuan Agong. The Deputy of Yang Di-Pertuan Agong cannot be automatically selected as Yang Di-Pertuan Agong upon the passing or the resignation of the previous one-every Sultan must be selected in that conference. So far no Sultan is selected twice.

(3) Yes, of course but usually only one who will become his consort

(4) The former Sultan of Selangor, Almarhum HRH Sultan Salahuddin passed away on Nov 21, 2001 at 11.57am. His son, the present Sultan Sharafudin Idris Shah replaced him. No news on Almarhum's wife, Tuanku Siti Aishah after his passing. The present Sultan of Selangor still has no consort on the throne.

(5) This is also the question which has always been stucked in my mind. I also do not know the answer, Cutie. However I have one assumption- maybe because they are not very well-known among European royalty or because there are 9 royal families in Malaysia so, that makes European royals very difficult to decide which one has to be invited to their wedding events. However, it's worth noting here that all the 9 Sultans of Malaysia did attend the coronation of HM Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.

(6) Not always. Sometimes only at least two of them might be gathering in one government event eg. the recent National Day was attended by Yang Di-Pertuan Agong and Sultan of Pahang simultaneously. All the nine Sultans will get together when they have Royal Banquets.

(7) It depends on how you look at them in term of their popularity. However in my opinion, the less popular are Sultan of Kelantan and Sultan of Kedah but in many occassion they are still very popular though. The most popular is Sultan of Pahang.

(8) Yes, he has made a good choice of his new bride

I suggest you see these webs:-

(i) www.rajakita.org.my
(ii) www.infofoto.org.bn

cutie said:
Hi Ephram,
I am interested in anything about malaysian royalty.
1) is the current king doing a good job? is he popular?
2) how does the rotation system work? would there be a chance that one sultan can become king twice in his lifetime?
3) is the sultan of malaysia allowed to have many wives like the sultan of brunei?
4) when the sultan of selagnor passed away, who took his place. i noticed that his wife is still a sultana.
5) why does the malaysian royalty seldom attend weddings in europe?
6) does the sultan of the eight states get together often for goverment events?
7) of all the sultans, which is the most/lease popular?
8) do the people of brunei and malaysian think the crown prince of brunei made a good choice of his new bride?
i know i have many questions, but there is not much info on the web. thank you very much!

Ephram said:
(1) The current King, His Majesty Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin is a good King of Malaysia. He is the twelth Yang Di-Pertuan Agong. He is a very down to earth monarch, quite religious and humble. He is of the descendant of the Prophet Muhammad S.A.W from his grandson, Hussin Bin Ali R.A. He's very popular but he himself (from my viewpoint-keep in low profile) but very well-respected by Malaysians and other people. He always keep in touch with all of us here in Malaysia and very dedicated in carrying out his duties.
I have a question, how is the King a descendant of the Prophet (SAW)? I know he doesnt really have to be an Arab but still, Im curious.
I have noticed that a lot of muslim monarchs make this claim, and I have a hard time believing all of them. The reason I ask is that there are also non-royal muslim families all over the world who make this claim too. It seems wrong to exploit the name of the Prophet (SAW)

I found one of Malaysia Sultana photo she looks young and beautiful...is anybody know about her, I interest to know more about her, thanks

Attachments

• Siltana Malaysia.jpg
    Siltana Malaysia.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 11,070
This sultana is the wife of the sultan of selagnor that passed away a few years ago when he was king. She was queen of malaysia for a few years. She was his second or third wife and did not have any children.

cutie said:
This sultana is the wife of the sultan of selagnor that passed away a few years ago when he was king. She was queen of malaysia for a few years. She was his second or third wife and did not have any children.
Thanks Cutie..since prince mukhtadee wedding I really interest with royal family in south east Asia....About the young queen...was his past husband passed away in young age? do you have any websites or link about them. Was she the only wife of the last king or just one of many king's wifes?, thanks

galuhcandrakirana said:
I found one of Malaysia Sultana photo she looks young and beautiful...is anybody know about her, I interest to know more about her, thanks
Her name is Tuanku Hajjah Siti Aishah. She is now holding no position in Selangor royal family. She is the fourth wife of Almarhum Sultan Salahuddin, the 11th Yang Di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I have a question, how is the King a descendant of the Prophet (SAW)? I know he doesnt really have to be an Arab but still, I'm curious.
I have noticed that a lot of muslim monarchs make this claim, and I have a hard time believing all of them. The reason I ask is that there are also non-royal muslim families all over the world who make this claim too. It seems wrong to exploit the name of the Prophet (SAW)

The descendant of His Majesty The King can truly and undisputedly be traced back to Prophet Muhammad S.A.W. All Malaysians know about this from the very beginning. It was publicly declared by the media especially on the eve of the installation of the King. I remember on the day after the installation I went to the National Museum to see the exhibition on the new King in 2002 and I managed to see the geneology of Perlis Royal Family. Both his mother and father are descended from the Prophet. Kindly see this page (in Malay):-
http://www.perlisroyalty.gov.my/bm/salasilah/jamalullail.htm
I believe this is true because I have read a very authorised book which explains the geneology of Malay rulers including Brunei and some Indonesian royal families which can be traced back to the Prophet (the book is written in Malay, if anybody interested I can give the title,the year of publication and the author). The evidence is solid.

It is up to you to believe this or not. However fact is fact. Don't make generalisation that all who claim that they are descended from Prophet are fake. I admit that some are just using titles and claim that they are the offspring of the Prophet including non-royals in order to make a lot of profit from them. This is what we call exploitation. However never forget that there are the genuine descendants of the Prophet Muhammad S.A.W.

Last edited:
Ephram said:
The descendant of His Majesty The King can truly and undisputedly be traced back to Prophet Muhammad S.A.W. All Malaysians know about this from the very beginning. It was publicly declared by the media especially on the eve of the installation of the King. I remember on the day after the installation I went to the National Museum to see the exhibition on the new King in 2002 and I managed to see the geneology of Perlis Royal Family. Both his mother and father are descended from the Prophet. Kindly see this page (in Malay):-
http://www.perlisroyalty.gov.my/bm/salasilah/jamalullail.htm
I believe this is true because I have read a very authorised book which explains the geneology of Malay rulers including Brunei and some Indonesian royal families which can be traced back to the Prophet (the book is written in Malay, if anybody interested I can give the title,the year of publication and the author). The evidence is solid.

It is up to you to believe this or not. However fact is fact. Don't make generalisation that all who claim that they are descended from Prophet are fake. I admit that some are just using titles and claim that they are the offspring of the Prophet including non-royals in order to make a lot of profit from them. This is what we call exploitation. However never forget that there are the genuine descendants of the Prophet Muhammad S.A.W.
I didnt make generalizations. I merely asked a question, that is not forbidden is it? I try not to take things in as they're presented. You wont believe how many people have family trees showing them to be descendants of the Prophet. With respect to the malaysian monarchy or the bruneian etc,we're talking about descent over a period of almost 1500 years so there's never any certainty involved, no matter how many books are written on it or how many family trees are constructed. Anyway, I dont call the claim right or wrong. I was just curious. There's no need for you to take it so personally.

Ephram said:
Her name is Tuanku Hajjah Siti Aishah. She is now holding no position in Selangor royal family. She is the fourth wife of Almarhum Sultan Salahuddin, the 11th Yang Di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia.
Thanks Ephram, I still have little confused about her position as "She was the fourth wife of the Sultan", does it mean she was the only wife of Sultan from his fourth marriage or the Sultan had three other wives beside of her? (sorry for asking, my native language confused me in translating this) I know Brunei Sultan used to have two wives but I don't know if in Malaysia the king (or also normal person?) allows to do polygamy. If the sultan has more than one wives which one usually will hold Queen position, or all of them will become queen and share the queen job togheter. Thanks.

Last edited:
galuhcandrakirana said:
Thanks Ephram, I still have little confused about her position as "She was the fourth wife of the Sultan", does it mean she was the only wife of Sultan from his fourth marriage or the Sultan had three other wives beside of her? (sorry for asking, my native language confused me in translating this) I know Brunei Sultan used to have two wives but I don't know if in Malaysia the king (or also normal person?) allows to do polygamy. If the sultan has more than one wives which one usually will hold Queen position, or all of them will become queen and share the queen job togheter. Thanks.

Hi, Ms. Galuhcandrakirana. I'm sorry for replying quite late since the computer I'm using not working very well lately. Anyway, your questions are indeed very interesting. Alright, let me try to answer them. No, she is not the only wife of Almarhum the Sultan. She is the very last wife of Almarhum Sultan Salahuddin. For your information:-

(1) His first wife is known presently as Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Bonda Raja Selangor Raja Saidatul Ihsan Binti Tengku Badar Shah. She was divorced by Almarhum. She is the mother of the current Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah of Selangor.

(2) His second wife is Cik Puan Maheran

(3) His third wife, (his first official consort that I ever managed to meet once) is the late Duli Yang Maha Mulia Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Binti Tengku Abdul Aziz from the Sultanate of Langkat, Sumatera

(4) Tuanku Siti Aishah, former Tuanku Permaisuri of Selangor cum the 11th Raja Permaisuri Agong of Malaysia.

As far as I concern, Almarhum (the late) Sultan married them one by one and not simultaneously.

Every Muslim men in Malaysia, acc to Sharia law is allowed to practise polygamy and very welcomed to marry more than one up to four women. This rule apply to all regardless of royal or commoner as long as they can afford to do so. Examples of Sultan who has more than one wife is the present Sultan of Kedah and the late Sultan Mahmud Almuktafi Billah of Terengganu.

In case of more than one wife, usually the wife who is purely of the royal blood will be chosen to sit on the throne as Consort. However, in the absence of wife among the royal blood, the wife (from among commoner) can hold the position of Consort but usually cannot use the title "Raja Perempuan" as it is exclusively and strictly for royal blood women only. Instead, she may be given titles like Sultanah, Raja Permaisuri or Tuanku Permaisuri- but these titles are equally meant for Consort.

Unlike in Brunei, there is no sharing position in Malaysia. There should be one Sultan and one Consort on the throne. That's the usual custom. Thank you.

Last edited:
Tuanku Siti Aishah

Attachments

• queen11.jpg
    queen11.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 14,261
Ephram, thanks so much for the explanation, its really interesting...Every part of the world has different culture and tradition and I respect it. If you have some website about Malaysian Royalty could you please to post it here. Thanks

Official visit of HRH Earl of Wessex

According to a news I heard from national radio in Malaysia this morning, the last son of HM Queen Elizabeth II, HRH Prince Edward will arrive in Malaysia for 5 day visit today. He has been scheduled to have a courtesy audience with DYMM Yang Di-Pertuan Agong and Deputy Prime Minister.
I remember last time he visited Malaysia when Yang DiPertuan Besar Negeri Sembilan was still the Yang Di-Pertuan Agong.Here is the news on local newspaper, The Star:-

Prince Edward arrives for five-day visit

PETALING JAYA: Prince Edward, youngest son of Queen Elizabeth II, is due here today to attend the Asia-Pacific regional meeting and training workshop of the Duke of Edinburgh International Award Scheme.

The prince, in his capacity as the Earl of Wessex, is expected to pay a courtesy call on the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Syed Putra Jamalullail, during his five-day visit here. Prince Edward, who is chairman of the board of the Duke of Edinburgh Awards International Association, will deliver a keynote address on Meeting the Minds of Young People - New Directions in the Award Programme at a gala dinner.

Insight_gallery_sept04_norwich_large.jpg

Kelantan Royal Wedding on 15 November 2004

Kelantan abuzz with talk of royal wedding

KOTA BARU: The state is abuzz with talk of the impending royal wedding which will see the Tengku Mahkota marrying a 24-year-old Thai woman.

Faris.jpg
Tengku Muhammad Faris: Met Kangsadal two years ago at a wedding.
Kangsadal Pipitpakdee will be known as Tengku Zubaidah after marrying Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra ibni Sultan Ismail Petra. They will tie the knot in a grand ceremony at the Kelantan palace on Nov 15.

The palace is said to have invited 15,000 guests, including Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.
The prince is next in line to the Kelantan throne.
A science graduate of Mahidol University, Kangsadal is the daughter of a former Pattani MP. She worked for two years in an insurance company in Bangkok after her graduation. She met the 35-year-old prince two years ago at a wedding. They have been dating ever since then.

kangsadal.jpg
Mahidol University Science graduate Kangsadal Pipitpakdee, 24, will marry Kelantan’s Tengku Mahkota Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra ibni Sultan Ismail Petra, 35, in a grand ceremony at the Kelantan palace on Nov 15.
In Bangkok, Thai-language dailies played up the story with the top mass circulation Thai Rath even giving it front-page treatment.

According to Thai Rath, reporters who spoke to her mother at their house in Pattani were shown the beautiful wedding invitation card in which Kangsadal was photographed wearing a veil.

“The groom’s side has been preparing for the wedding for some time,” she was quoted as saying.

The mother was reportedly delighted with the nuptial, saying that fabrics had been ordered from Singapore to make the bridal gown.

At present, Kangsadal is staying at the Kelantan palace to learn local customs and life in the palace. It is understood that the palace in Kelantan will make an official announcement soon.
Source: The Star

Last single Malaysian crown prince gets hitched

Last single Malaysian crown prince gets hitched

AP , KUALA LUMPUR Wednesday, Nov 17, 2004

Malaysia's last bachelor crown prince married a Thai science graduate in a traditional Muslim ceremony witnessed by royal dignitaries from both countries and dubbed a fairytale wedding by the local media.

Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra Sultan Ismail Petra, 35, who is next in line to be the sultan of northeastern Kelantan state, wedded Kangsadal Pipitpakdee, 23, at Kelantan's royal palace late Monday in glittering rites known as "akad nikah," or the solemnizing of marriage.

The prince recited a sacred oath of marriage in front of a senior cleric and then exchanged rings with Kangsadal, who is the daughter of Viroj Pinitpakdee, a former member of Parliament from the southern Thai province of Pattani.

Thailand's Queen Sirikit, Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak and Thai Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai were among the guests at the wedding in Kelantan, a staunchly Islamic state that borders southern Thailand.

Other details were not immediately available because media outlets were barred from the ceremony.

However, preparations for the event electrified Kelantan's residents and received wide coverage. The Star newspaper called it a "fairytale wedding," while the New Straits Times announced that Tengku Faris would be a "royal bachelor no more."

Tengku Faris was Malaysia's last remaining unmarried crown prince. Nine of the country's 13 states have sultans as ceremonial rulers who take turns to be the king of Malaysia.

Kangsadal, also a Muslim, took the name of Tengku Zubaidah following the wedding. She received a crash course on local customs and royal life over the past three months.

The couple reportedly met two years ago at a wedding in Bangkok.

Banners proclaiming the occasion lined the streets of Kelantan's capital, Kota Bahru. Some roads were closed to the public to ensure that VIP vehicles could proceed smoothly to the palace. Kangsadal was raised in Pattani, one of three Muslim provinces in predominantly Buddhist Thailand. She later furthered her studies at Bangkok's Mahidol University.

There are several Malay rulers who are now still on pilgrimage for this year and will return very soon.
Among them are:-

(1) HM King Syed Sirajuddin and HM Queen Fauziah themselves

(2) Sultan Sharafuddin of Selangor

(3) Sultan Ismail and Raja Perempuan Tengku Anis of Kelantan

Before they went for hajj, they took some times to visit tsunami victims in Penang

Northern Region News

December 28, 2004 17:52 PM

King And Queen Visit Tsunami Survivors

281204_4.jpg

SHARING THE GRIEF… Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Syed Putra Jamalullail and Raja Permaisuri Agong Tuanku Fauziah Tengku Abdul Rashid visit a tsunami survivor, eleven-year-old Mohd Fikri Rahim, in the company of his mother Rahimah Osman, 49, (right) at the Penang Hospital. Pix: K.Ganeson

PENANG, Dec 28 (Bernama) -- The Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Syed Putra Jamalullail and the Raja Permaisuri Agong Tuanku Fauziah Tengku Abdul Rashid Tuesday visited survivors of Sunday's tsunami warded at Penang General Hospital.

The royal couple, accompanied by Penang's Yang Dipertua Negeri Tun Abdul Rahman Abbas and his wife Toh Puan Majimor Shariff, spent about 20 minutes with the victims.

They later inspected the areas hit by the massive tidal waves in Tanjong Tokong and Tanjong Bungah and checked on the floating mosque under construction in Batu Ferringhi.

The King and Queen were also accompanied by Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Mohamad Nazri Abdul Aziz, Minister of Women, Family and Community Development Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil and Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Abdul Rashid Abdullah.

Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Monday expressed sadness over the loss of lives and damage to properties caused by the tsunami.

-- BERNAMA

Tun Hamdan Sheikh Tahir (Former Governor of Penang) died on 20/1/2005

As I'm trying to update this section (Malaysian royalty), I'll bring some more 'old news' from this month so that everyone who happens to 'drop by' at this section will know what actually happen in Malaysian royalty.
Courtesy of Bernama.com
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Tun Dr Hamdan Dies[/FONT]
PG08_200105_TUN%20HAMDAN.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Tun Dr Hamdan Sheikh Tahir [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
PENANG, Jan 20 (Bernama) -- Former Yang Dipertua Negeri of Penang Tun Dr Hamdan Sheikh Tahir died at the Loh Guan Lye Hospital here Thursday.
Hamdan, 84, was the Yang Dipertua Negeri of Penang for four terms from 1989 to 2000.
His remains will be taken to his house in Bukit Jambul here.
He leaves a wife, Toh Puan Siti Zainab Baharuddin, and three children, Dr Siti Khatijah, Siti Aishah and Tahiruddin.
Meanwhile, the chief minister's press secretary, Zasman Asna, said an official statement would be issued later.
-- BERNAMA
[/FONT]

I want to ask a question but I DO NOT wish to insult anyone.

When you write The Prophet (SAW) what does the (SAW) mean?

I hope this is only an ignorant question not a rude one.

Thank you :)

The Malay ruler whom I like most- Yang DiPertuan Besar Negeri Sembilan and Tg. Ampuan

The Malay ruler that I like most is the Royal Couple from Negeri Sembilan. Tuanku Jaafar and Tuanku Najihah. They are so regal and currently Tuanku Jaafar is the oldest ruler in Malaysia.

trinny said:
I want to ask a question but I DO NOT wish to insult anyone.When you write The Prophet (SAW) what does the (SAW) mean?
'SAW' actually stands for an Arabic expression of 'Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam' which means Peace Be Upon Him or in English abbreviation it sometimes written as 'PBUH'. It is an honor to Prophet Muhammad. When we read Islamic history books or religious books we often encounter this:-
" Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him/PBUH)"

More images of Duli Yang Maha Mulia Tuanku Jaafar and Tuanku Najihah

Yang DiPertuan Besar Negeri Sembilan Tuanku Jaafar of Negeri Sembilan (in this picture he dresses in ceremonial outfit for the King of Malaysia. He was the King of Malaysia from 1994 to 1999)

img_agung10_2.gif

His Consort, Tuanku Ampuan Najihah

queen10.jpg

img_bodtnj.jpg

tengampuan.jpg

Last edited:
Indonesian President and wife pay their courtesy call to TM King and Queen today

Courtesy of Bernama ONE FOR THE ALBUM… The Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Syed Putra Jamalullail and Raja Permaisuri Agong Tuanku Fauziah Tengku Abdul Rashid (left) posing with Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono (second, left) after the latter called on His Royal Highnesses in Kuala Lumpur, Monday. Also present is Susilo's wife, Ani Bambang Yudhoyono (right). Pix: Rosli Awang

Attachments

• 140205_2.jpg
    140205_2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 652
Caption:
BEIJING, CHINA: Chinese President Hu Jintao (R) gestures to Malaysia's King Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin as they inspect the People's Liberation Army (PLA) guard of honour during a welcoming ceremony at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, 28 February 2005. The king arrived in Beijing to kick off a week-long visit to China, which will also take him to Shanghai and Xian. AFP PHOTO/GOH CHAI HIN

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 443
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 403
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 362
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg