The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Malaysia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamds
I was just wondering if u could help me out. I was trying to find out about Tengku Djan Ley who is the sone of Tengku Mahaleel Tengku Ariff- the CEO of Proton. I know Tengku Djan is the head of Proton motorsports but i was interested in knowing which malay royal family is he a member of? is it Selangor or Kelantan or any other one?
If you could help me out that would be very helpful as u seem to know alot about the malay royal family. Thanx....!

:)
Sorry,shamds. I have been trying to seek for information on his son but I could not find anything useful. I do not know from which royal family does he come from but I believe he is only a minor royal or far relative of a Malay royal family. Furthermore, my area of concern is only on the 9 Malay Sultans and their immediate family members and not their far relatives especially those who have never been into media attention. I know that Tengku Tan Sri Mahaleel Ariff is very well known as one of the successful businessmen in Malaysia but I do not have any further information about his family members.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Courtier

202nd meeting of Conference of Rulers at the Istana Negara, Kuala Lumpur

The 202nd Meeting of Conference of Rulers began yesterday 16 March 2005 at National Palace and ended today 17 March 2005. The meeting was chaired by Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah of the state of Selangor. The meeting was attended by all the Rulers except the Sultan of Johor who was represented by the Tengku Mahkota of Johor, Tunku Ibrahim Ismail Sultan Iskandar. The Regent of Perlis, Tuanku Syed Faizuddin Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Jamalullail was present.

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=124099

The meeting was concluded today with a proposal of King's Scholarship programme.

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=124288

Maeanwhile, last night the Malay Rulers including HM King Syed Sirajuddin and HM Queen Fauziah attended a banquet at National Palace, Kuala Lumpur. The banquet was held in conjunction with this 202nd meeting.

Pictures and news courtesy of Bernama:)
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: bmp Mesyuarat Majlis Raja-Raja ke 202.2.bmp (110.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: bmp Banquet at Istana Negara.bmp (110.8 KB, 73 views)

Old 03-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Courtier

State Opening of Malaysian Parliament today

Today, 21 March 2005, there'll be a State Opening of Malaysian Parliament which will be attended by Their Majesties King Syed Sirajuddin and Queen Fauziah at Parliament House, Kuala Lumpur. Their Majesties will be inspecting guard of honor upon their arrival at the Parliament Square. They will wear ceremonial outfit for today's ceremony and His Majesty Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin will deliver his speech in the House of Common where both members of House of Senate and House of Common will join the session together.

The event will start at 10.00am Malaysian time and will be broadcast live by Radio Television Malaysia in half an hour from the time I write this note.

Here are some pics from last year's State Opening of Parliament (2004)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 State Opening of Malaysian Parliament.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	113144   Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 State Opening of Malaysian Parliament.2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	113145   Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 State Opening of Malaysian Parliament.3.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	113146  
Old 03-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Courtier

You are welcome. Here are few pictures of State Opening of Malaysian Parliament on 21 March 2005.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2005, 05:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephram
Tuanku Siti Aishah
I found these old photos in Corbis. These photos are from the official visit of Earl and Countess of Wessex to Malaysia in October 2000. They made courtesy call to (the late)King Sultan Salahuddin of Malaysia and his consort, Queen Tuanku Siti Aishah at National Palace, Kuala Lumpur
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wessex and Sultan Salahuddin.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	116956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wessex and Sultan Salahuddin4.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	116957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wessex and Sultan Salahuddin.3.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	116958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wessex and Sultan Salahuddin.5.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	116959  

Name:	Wessex and Sultan Salahuddin.6.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	116960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wessex and Sultan Salahuddin.7.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	116961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wessex and Sultan Salahuddin.9.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	116962  
Old 03-29-2005, 05:27 AM
Courtier

National Palace or known as Istana Negara in Kuala Lumpur is the official residence of King and Queen of Malaysia.

Pictures of the palace

1. The National Palace and its garden

2. The Royal Guard

3. National Palace's Guard on horseback

4. The scene of Balairung Seri (the Main Hall) inside the National Palace where all royal ceremonies and state occassions are held there
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	istana negara.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	116963   Click image for larger version

Name:	istana negara.2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	116964   Click image for larger version

Name:	istana negara.3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	116965   Click image for larger version

Name:	The main hall inside istana negara.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	116966  

Old 03-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephram
I found these old photos in Corbis. These photos are from the official visit of Earl and Countess of Wessex to Malaysia in October 2000. They made courtesy call to (the late)King Sultan Salahuddin of Malaysia and his consort, Queen Tuanku Siti Aishah at National Palace, Kuala Lumpur
who is the lady in the black outfit and hat?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

I thought I'd post these pics from the CP of Brunei's wedding.
I was hoping that you'd be able to help Ephram in identifying who some of these ladies are and also let me know if some of them aren't malaysian royals. Which would be of great help to me once I start the jewellery thread I mentioned to you a few days ago.
To avoid confusion, I thought I'd post the pics individually.

Now this pic, ofcourse, is of the Queen Saleha of Brunei and Queen Fauziah of Malaysia. I dont know the names of the 3 ladies walking behind them
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	117612  
Old 03-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

The royals in these two pics were identified in the Gettyimages captions. Im hoping they got the names right.

1. Tunku Nural Hayah, wife of the acting ruler of Sembilan
2. Prince Azman Shah of Perak and his wife Noraini Shah
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	472
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	117619   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	117620  
Old 03-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

I dont know the names of these two ladies. The caption only mentioned them as the "Queen of State of Kelantan (L) and the Queen of State of Pahang"
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	686
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	117625  
Old 03-30-2005, 04:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
I thought I'd post these pics from the CP of Brunei's wedding.
I was hoping that you'd be able to help Ephram in identifying who some of these ladies are and also let me know if some of them aren't malaysian royals. Which would be of great help to me once I start the jewellery thread I mentioned to you a few days ago.
To avoid confusion, I thought I'd post the pics individually.

Now this pic, ofcourse, is of the Queen Saleha of Brunei and Queen Fauziah of Malaysia. I dont know the names of the 3 ladies walking behind them
Thanks for the photos for the photos, Humera

The lady in blue behind Queen Fauziah of Malaysia is Raja Perempuan Kelantan Tengku Anis

The lady in red is Sultanah Hajjah Haminah of Kedah

The lady who is smiling behind Queen Saleha is Raja Permaisuri Tuanku Bainon of Perak
Old 03-30-2005, 04:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
The royals in these two pics were identified in the Gettyimages captions. Im hoping they got the names right.

1. Tunku Nural Hayah, wife of the acting ruler of Sembilan
2. Prince Azman Shah of Perak and his wife Noraini Shah
1. Tunku Puan Muda Nurul Hayati of Negeri Sembilan, wife of the acting ruler of Negeri Sembilan

2. Raja Azman Shah, son of the Sultan of Perak and his wife Puan Seri Noraini Jane
Old 03-30-2005, 04:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I dont know the names of these two ladies. The caption only mentioned them as the "Queen of State of Kelantan (L) and the Queen of State of Pahang"
Front 'row': In blue Raja Perrempuan Tengku Anis of Kelantan talking to Sultanah Kalsom of Pahang (in dark green)

Second 'row': Sultanah Zanariah of Johor walking alone

Third 'row': In green head cover and outfit is Permaisuri Nur Zahirah of Terengganu and Raja Permaisuri Tuanku Bainon of Perak
Old 03-30-2005, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

And thank you Ephram for helping out with all the names. Im sure I'll learn them all in time
Now perhaps you could explain the difference between some of the titles, I thought that Sultanah and Raja were the same? And also, what does Tunku and Permaisuri mean?
I understand that the Malaysian monarchy works quite differently from the rest. And that Kings serve a term for a certain length of time after which they're replaced. Im assuming that the rulers of the various states fill that position.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
And thank you Ephram for helping out with all the names. Im sure I'll learn them all in time
Now perhaps you could explain the difference between some of the titles, I thought that Sultanah and Raja were the same? And also, what does Tunku mean?
I understand that the Malaysian monarchy works quite differently from the rest. And that Kings serve a term for a certain length of time after which they're replaced. Im assuming that the rulers of the various states fill that position.
As far as the difference between Sultanah and Raja is concerned, both refer to the same meaning- Consort. It is just a matter of different historical background, customs and state constitutions which would set different titles for the consorts of every ruler in 9 states in Malaysia. However from my observation, the title 'Tengku Ampuan/Tunku Ampuan' only reserved for the Consort whose parents are royals (since nowadays there is also a growing trend here just like in any part of the world whereby royals marrying commoners).

Perhaps I could list down here the current titles for Consorts in the 9 states in Malaysia:

Perlis : Raja Perempuan

Kedah: Sultanah

Perak : Raja Permaisuri

Selangor: previously they used Tengku Ampuan (for Consort who is of royal descendant) and Tuanku Permaisuri (for commoner-turn-to-royal Consort), but as the Sultan Selangor currently has no wife, so the Consort throne is currently vacant.

Negeri Sembilan: Tuanku Ampuan

Johor: Sultanah

Pahang: Sultanah

Terengganu: Permaisuri

Kelantan: Raja Perempuan

I do not know what is the exact meaning of 'Tunku' or 'Tuanku', but if I could translate it in English as 'Your Majesty' or 'My Lord'. Even that would still not capture the exact meaning of the word but the most important thing about 'Tunku/Tuanku and Tengku' is they are titles for Malay royals in Malaysia.
I know in Brunei these terms are quite alien because they address royals using their own unique terms such as Pengiran Muda, Pengiran Isteri, Pengiran Anak and so forth. I know it is getting confusing when it comes to Tunku and Tengku I mentioned just now but it's just a matter of accent/dialect. In northern Malaysia and Eastcoast usually they use 'Tengku' and for Southern part of Malaysia and Westcoast the titles Tuanku and Tunku are widely used. As for Perak, all members of its Royal Family use the title 'Raja' (but not to be confused with Raja Perempuan in Kelantan and Perlis since those are of different case). I'm sorry because it might be a little harder for our foreign members of this board to comprehend.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

thank you for that list. All the titles can be confusing, especially to those of us who dont speak the malay language but still I think they reflect an amazingly complex and rich heritage of the royalty in Malaysia, as well as Brunei. I can see why it is better to use their original titles then to attempt translating them into English whereby they lose much of their meaning. But I guess the consorts would all simply be called Queen in English. Im assuming the rulers and their consorts of the various states are Kings and Queens in their own right and dont really have precedence over one another? In other words they're all equal in terms of their title, except perhaps whoever is King and Queen of Malaysia?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:57 PM
Courtier

Yes, they are equal in terms of their title and position, no one has precedence over another except King and Queen of Malaysia. King and Queen of Malaysia as Head of State and Consort will be the heads of them (but for 5 year term, of course).

At first, for the sake of this board I was thinking of addressing all of them King and Queen but after a couple of seconds I thought people would think, oh my God! look Malaysia got so many Kings and Queens. So I decided that I should give due respect to all Malay rulers here by addressing them using their original titles.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:12 PM

Hi everybody...technically I'm not new here, just been 'out of touch' for a while so bear with me :)

Ephram, any news on my favourite Raja Nazrin of Perak? He is the Crown Prince of Perak right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he still unattached? Or are the current rumours of him being engaged is true after all? Enlighten me on this one please!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia
Hi everybody...technically I'm not new here, just been 'out of touch' for a while so bear with me :)

Ephram, any news on my favourite Raja Nazrin of Perak? He is the Crown Prince of Perak right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he still unattached? Or are the current rumours of him being engaged is true after all? Enlighten me on this one please!
Hallo, Nadia. Raja Nazrin Shah, the Crown Prince of Perak is nowadays the most popular royal in Malaysia, he is still considered young but has contributed a lot to the development of the country. As far as I know he is still single and I don't know any rumours about him because I am not used to listen to rumours on royalty but don't worry as long as I hear the official announcement about his wedding or whatsoever, I 'll inform on this board. My computer is not really working very well this week, next time, when everything is okay, Godwilling I'll send a couple of pictures of Raja Nazrin Shah for you and others who are interested to see on this board.

Here is the latest news on him. Recently, he visited the New Straits Times newspapers office.

KUALA LUMPUR, Apr 5: The thing that impressed the Raja Muda of Perak Raja Dr Nazrin Shah most on his first ever visit to a newspaper office was the New Straits Times Press (M) Berhad's extensive archives. Original photographs of the Perak royal family, including Raja Nazrin's grandfather, dating back to the 1930s, intrigued the prince.

The pictures included the installation of previous Sultans and his own father, Sultan Azlan Shah, where the "whispering of the state secrets" ceremony was held.

The NST, which was set up in 1845 and will be 160 years old this year, has the most extensive photo and news archives in the country.

Raja Nazrin, who has expressed great interest in the workings of newspapers, was accompanied by Bernama chairman Datuk Mohd Annuar Zaini and Toh Muda Orang Kaya-Kaya Seri Adika Raja Shahbandar Muda Datuk Mohamad Othman Zainal Azim.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:56 AM
Nobility

I keep wondering...and I'm sorry if this is a completely ignorant question, it is not meant to be hurtful, I'm just curious as this is very new to me how one supports the claim that one is a descendent of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)?--this is a general question, I;m not wondering speciffically about the malaysian royal family, tho, my question is also very much related to them...also are all descendants of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) royalty? Or are there nonroyal descendants too?

-Eliza