The Winter Home in the Mountains and the Summer Home by the Sea

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haakon at the first day of the Innotwon Innovation conference

He talked to the press and the topic was given, the summerhouse:rolleyes:

- I think it was a pitty this came out this way based on numbers taken from the air

He denies that he and his wife is building a summerhouse with the size of 6-800m2

- It is not true

He further says they are awaiting the regulations plans until they make a decision on the house.

In Kristiansand they now say that it was they who independantly had taken in to account that this was the possible size.
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=304493
http://www.side2.no/kjendis/article648165.ece
foto: Scanpix via VG and Nettavisen
Picture and part of his speech
http://www.smp.no/default.asp?page=1024&item=644491,1&lang=1

Attachments

• dsfdsfdssdfs.jpg
    dsfdsfdssdfs.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 378
  • haakon__249829x.jpg
    haakon__249829x.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
How many castles does the NRF own? Why do H & MM have to have another one? Also, is the family spending their own money or will Norway's tax payer's foot the bill? Just asking.

They will spend their own money ofcourse, I guess Haakon has inherited money after his grandfather just like his sister, its belived that Märtha used parts of those money to pay her house and upgrade the summerhouse she inherited

Here you can read about the public and private building of the NRF in english, there really only is one "real" Palace in Norway, choose properties http://www.kongehuset.no/default.asp?lang=eng

Last edited:
Thank you as always Larzen. It is a beautiful area! So now with Prince
akon denying the plans everyone is changing their story. Am I right? :rolleyes: Thanks!:)

Larzen said:
They will spend their own money ofcourse, I guess Haakon has inherited money after his grandfather just like his sister, its belived that Märtha used parts of those money to pay her house and upgrade the summerhouse she inherited

Here you can read about the public and private building of the NRF in english, there really only is one "real" Palace in Norway, choose properties http://www.kongehuset.no/default.asp?lang=eng
I'm surprised there is only one royal palace. I thought maybe there were two or three. But Norway does like their RF very small, not that the palace in Oslo lacks anything. It's huge and very beautiful. I wouldn't guess a summer home for Haakon & MM is all that bad though they really should not upset their neighbors or Norway might decide their RF should be even smaller -- if you know what I mean.;)

Aftenposten -- Palace downplays 'hytte' plans

Officials at the Royal Palace and Crown Prince Haakon himself claim reports that he and his wife plan to build an enormous summer home on protected coastal land are based on a "misunderstanding."

They won't detail what the royal couple's plans really are. They're fending off criticism, though, over reports that Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit are exploiting their royal privilege through plans to build a so-called "hytte palace" on an island off the coast of Kristiansand, Mette-Marit's hometown. read: http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1334335.ece

According to Aftenposten today Haakon and MEtte-Marit is putting away the summerhouse plans for the time beeing, the reason is that there is a man who has lifelong rights to use a small boathouse close up to their possible place. The Man, Askebo, has said he is willing to find a solution but he does noe wish to be bought out for millions, but he has agreed to move if he can have another small house on a smilar beautiful place. He also says he has no problem living so close to the couple:p The Palace finds it very important they they do not try to push him away, therfor it seems to be difficult to find a solution between the Palace and Krisitansand
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1336735.ece

Aftenposten also has a funny and long oppinion piece, the authos calls Norwegians pittyful and envious not only to the Crown Prince Couple but to politicians and others who get benefits or is in a different situation. He goes on about the double standards about the very rich in Norway who is admired 8even if many of them do all to not pay taxes) while at the same time the media run after the ministers and other people hired by the public to see if they have used to much money on a lunch or on travels, or if they have a state funded Piano in their home. He asks who starts this, is it the envious public backed by the media or is it the despearte media struggeling with low sales that starts theese campaigns

He also makes this commen on a recent editorial in Se ogHør:
" ...and see and behold, there Se og Hør wears the holy glory, the magazine who makes loads of money on the royals has turned its face after the populistic oppinions and and says: the Crown Prince Couple must see what signals they send...and show that they are serious about helping the poor and the weak and a more fair society" wirtes the newly christianed holy moralist editor Odd Johan Nelvik. In 2003 the editor made 6,6 million NOK, that is more than the Crown Prince Couple gets as a joint apanage this year, namely 5,2 million NOK, I have not worried about this but now Nellvik needs to look at the signals he sends. Nelvik needs to show he is serious when he wants other people to restrain themselves, heavens, not only does editor Nelvik have a double name, he also lives a double life with double standards. My tip for a summergift from Se og Hør to its readers: A bucket to Puke in.

further he writes

"When the young couple at Skaugum actually takes some initatives to look beyond themselves it is obiously possible to score envy points in the south of Norway by writing that the couple has scored cheap points by opening their doors to the less fortunate and give them a charity meal.

As members of a konstitutional family with duties and rights the couple tries to make the best of the situation by engaging in ethical questions, now this is used against them because they dont live exactly as they preech. What could they learn from this? That it would be easier to shut up and do nothing, just like the other rich people does." http://www.aftenposten.no/meninger/kronikker/article1336512.ece
a very funny piece, atleast in Norwegian.

Last edited:
The summerhouse saga part XXXX

6-800 m2 is taken from the air says Haakon
The summerhouse construction will be around 600 m2 says now the mayor of Kristiansand:

- Our oppinion is that the total space neede is around 600 m2, that does not mean they have asked for it, or they are going to build a building of that size.

- I count on finding a solution with Askebo (who owns the smal house) and I wish the Palace would send us the information on what space is needed. If the Palace dont do it we have to take a brake, if the Crown Prince does not wish to buy the location we will have to work on other solutions for the area

- It is important for me that we find a solution for all partys

The reason tha Mayor finds that they will need this size is:

- The house that is there now is 400 m2 pluss the small house owned by Askebo which is 62 m2. It is likely that the couple will use the existing house as a base for their new one, but with extensive renovations inside and out

Further space neede could be a guest ving, housing for the police, garden/lawn and/or swimming pool and parking space for their cars and those of the police

In 1995 the King and Queen build their Summerhouse Mågerø, the main house is 500 m2 the total space is 800 m2 (its very well hidden in the terrain this building, foto scanpix)
flym10maageroe020407950h9aw.jpg

In Frederikstad Märtha Louises summerhouse is 300 m2, the house is just upgraded with a big garden which includes and Pool of 60 m2, a smaller building of 20 m2 a terasse of 115 m2 and lawn of 180 m2, which gives a total space of around 700 m2 (foto Tone Georgsen)
m10bloksberg0206j407949h2vq.jpg

- The Questions is why it is so unrelaistic that the Crown Prince COuple should need 600 m2

- that is a relevant question, says responsible for the Royal buildings Ragnar Osnes
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1337934.ece

BTW editor of Se og Hør Odd Johan Nelvik is not amused with the oppinion piece in Aftenposten yesterday and accuses the writer of beeing PR hungry in his own piece today. (not nearly as funny written as the one yesterday but I guess that is why he works in Se og HØr which is mostly about the pictures...)
http://www.aftenposten.no/meninger/debatt/article1337977.ece
Me: I think as the story gets more detailed the original statements from Fedrelandsvennewas that the buildings was going to be 6-800 m2 while now it seems they inlcude lawns, parkingspace and what not in this number, and from Osnes it seems when they include this they will come up with this number

***Crown Prince Haakon today inspecting the New Frigate Fridtjof Nansen with the King
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/448576-post148.html

Last edited:
Can't they just buy a house that is already built and stop this building talk?

I am sure the couple is sick of it by now and a house they would use to relax is probably giving them a huge headache!

Seriously. It would be easier if they bought a house like right there. Building one is to much of a hassel.

A photoseries fo Haakon and Mette-Marit hand in hand in the spanish statevisit
http://www.side2.no/kjendis/article656206.ece

Today Haakon and Mette-Marit together with people from Krisitansand administartion was at the planned summerhouse location, they did not want to talk to Fedrelandsvennen who caught them there, Fedrelandsvennen says they will publish tomorrow exclusive pictures of Haakon, Mette-Marit and Sverre Magnus in the paper edition tomorrow
http://www.fvn.no/na24/article371057.ece
here is one of Haakon
www.fvn.no

Attachments

• kronprinsen-468_253579a.jpg
    kronprinsen-468_253579a.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Here are the rest of the pictures, from fedrelandsvennen
The woman with the pink top and curly hair is their choef of staff, Gry Mølleskog. FVN writes it a secret trip but at the palace Astrid Versto says to VG it is not a secret trip, but they dont send a press release everytime the couple is going somewhere
http://www.fvn.no/na24/article371280.ece

Attachments

• Untitled-TrueColor-14.jpg
    Untitled-TrueColor-14.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Untitled-TrueColor-13.jpg
    Untitled-TrueColor-13.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 362
  • Untitled-TrueColor-12.jpg
    Untitled-TrueColor-12.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 394
  • Untitled-TrueColor-11.jpg
    Untitled-TrueColor-11.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 464
Press release from http://www.kongehuset.no:

Flekkerøya

Their Royal Highnesses the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess wish to express their thanks to Kristiansand municipality for the initiative they took in regards to the Crown Princely Couple taking over NRK's former property on Flekkerøya in Kristiansand. However, the Crown Princely couple have decided to decline the offer.

The decision is made after a total evaluation, where the complexity of the project have been taken into account. This is due to the protected area that would've been affected, concern for landowners in the area and necessary safety precautions.

TRH the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess will continue to look for a summer home in Southern Norway.

Translated by me.

After Haakon and MM changed their mind about the summer house all the controversy will be put to the rest. On the other hand it great that royal couple was not treated differently than regular citizens. I think Haakon and MM decided to change their plans and to looke a summer house somewhere else mostly because all the media negative coverage and it was wise decision from their side.:neutral:

Lakshmi said:
After Haakon and MM changed their mind about the summer house all the controversy will be put to the rest. On the other hand it great that royal couple was not treated differently than regular citizens. I think Haakon and MM decided to change their plans and to looke a summer house somewhere else mostly because all the media negative coverage and it was wise decision from their side.:neutral:

I total agree with you to much like hard work !! very wise decision !!

Royals drop controversial summer home plans

Norway's so-called "crown couple" have dropped their efforts to build a large summer home on an island off the coast near Crown Princess Mette-Marit's hometown. The project had sparked criticism that it would give new meaning to the term "royal privilege." full article & source

Plans for a new holiday home

Haakon and Mette-Marit's quest for a holiday place was successful earlier this summer - when they acquired two plots of land in Numedal in Buskerud county. One of the plots is designated for the security detail, and one is for their own use. They can build a cabin up to 150 square metres in size (approx. 1,614 square feet) on each of the plots.

It's being alledged that they got them for less than market-price - but considering that the news of the royals finding a place to build, set a surge in the numbers of interested buyers in the same area, so much that they had to stop the sales for a while because of too many enquiries, I'm sure it was worth it to the cooperation selling, as well as the municipality, in sheer promotional value, if it was the case.

I suppose they figured it was easier to build from scratch rather than try to adapt a place that was already standing to their needs.

...One of the plots is designated for the security detail, and one is for their own use. They can build a cabin up to 150 square metres in size (approx. 1,614 square feet) on each of the plots...

1614 sq ft isn't very big. If they are going for cozy then that is exactly what they will get.

1614 sq ft isn't very big. If they are going for cozy then that is exactly what they will get.

For a cabin - it's fairly big, imo, but it is rapidly becoming the standard size these days. People don't want the days of living without electricity and tapwater and living in less than 300 sq ft cabins when they're in the mountains anymore. :rolleyes:

Where is Numedal btw? Far away from where the couple is living right now?

They started the work on the cabin yesterday, (picture from then in this article: Kjøpte hyttetomtene for 3,5 millioner)

and VG reports that it began to take shape today. It will be built in massive wood, without the use of nails, glue or other environmentally dangerous chemicals used to treat wood.

Kronprinshytte i ekspressfart

The other article above states that they paid 3.5 milions for the plots - considerably less than anyone else would have had to pay, but given the rush from other people to get holiday homes close to royalty, I would say that the marketing value would probably pay for the difference

just wondering who sold the plot? If it wasn´t sold by the state why would people care if it was sold below market price?

Yes that'a a nice wood holiday house, not too big perfect, but inside must have all the confort they need! It has alarm, cable TV and internet. It must be very cosy IMO. I would love to have a holiday home like that!

Yes that'a a nice wood holiday house, not too big perfect, but inside must have all the confort they need! It has alarm, cable TV and internet. It must be very cosy IMO. I would love to have a holiday home like that!
Norwegians usually do not go to their holiday homes to watch cable TV and internett (there are always exceptions of course)but to get away and be outside and enjoy the nature:wub: It is not far from the alpine slopes either.
Im suprised they build such a smal house, I was expecting more like a holiday-palace or something like that of the King and Queen which is not modest by any standard.

Ofcourse the security is going to be tight, there are some stories in the press that the Police has done backround check on the neighbours.

BTW this is the "cabine" of one on NOrways richest men who is now married to Mette-Marits former bodyguard, very modest:angel:
http://www.vg.no/bilder/bildarkiv/1087971246.44083.jpg

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, did Mette-Marit have a female bodyguard? As you say the rich man married a former bodyguard, AFAIK same sex marriages aren´t allowed in Norway yet?

It seems that it is pretty normal to by a second house in Norway for holidays? Quite a luxery as here that is almost impossible, considering the price of properties due to population density. A caravan works well enough for most though ;). And the richer people usually buy a second home abroad, where they have sun and nice weather of course.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, did Mette-Marit have a female bodyguard? As you say the rich man married a former bodyguard, AFAIK same sex marriages aren´t allowed in Norway yet?
Yes, it was a female.

It seems that it is pretty normal to by a second house in Norway,l for holidays? Quite a luxery as here that is almost impossible, considering the pirce of properties due to population density. A caravan works well enough for most though ;). And the richer people usually by a second home abroad, where they have sun and nice weather of course.

It is extremely common with secondary summer/winter residences; for example, most families I know have one, without being exeedingly wealthy. It is often something that is owned by the parents/grandparents, and used by the whole family. (Something like the summer place of the royal family at Mågerø).

Most of them are up in the mountains, or by the sea. The important thing is that they're not classified as houses, but as cabins/cottages and thereby are in a different bracket as for property value and property taxes. You cannot live in them permanently - they're meant as vacation homes. There are also several caravan clubs in Norway, both up in the mountains and by the sea. Most of these caravans have also been expanded by additions so that they're a lot like small cabins and not so much caravans.

Back
Top Bottom