Palace of Oscarshall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oscarshall

The summer palace of Oscarshall is situated on the peninsula of Bygdø, in Oslo. The palace is built on a rise, with a garden sloping down to the Oslo Fjord. It is the property of the state and placed at the disposal of the King.

More Information and Pictures:
kongehuset.no - Oscarshall

I like the fact that the Palace of Oscarshall was named for King Oscar I.

Some of the ceilings have ornate detail. There are extravagant paintings on the walls of some rooms.

I'd never heard of Oscarshell until now but it seems to be a beautiful and intriguing palace. Norway is on my bucket list so I'll make sure to add Oscarshell to places to see in the country if I get the chance to visit one day.

I'd never heard of Oscarshell until now but it seems to be a beautiful and intriguing palace. Norway is on my bucket list so I'll make sure to add Oscarshell to places to see in the country if I get the chance to visit one day.

HereditaryPrincess, You may not have heard of Oscarshall because it is not mentioned as much as the other Norwegian royal residences. However, it has a grandeur all of its own. You actually have to see Oscarshall in person. What words can describe its regalness?

I take it that its not used as a residence or for royal events and is just open to the public.

It seems as though it's very close to the Bygdø farm and the NRF preferred the "farm".

Edit: Ah - "In 1881, King Oscar II opened the palace to the public as a museum." And the incoming NRF probably preferred not to live in a museum, either!

Last edited:
Its in such a beautiful setting but looks quite small compared to other Norwegian royal residences.

Back
Top Bottom