Bygdø Kongsgård

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bygdøy Kongsgård has been under renovation the past years, and is now done. Pictures from VG: VG Nett - Åpningen av Kongsgården

177 milion Norwegian Kroner has been spent on the project (approx. $30 mil.) with 15 milion nOK ($2.5mil.) going for furniture and inside decorations.

The place was rotten to the core and had not been renovated much at all in the past century, which explains the high renovation price.

sorry if this has been posted already

Royal renovations nearly complete

OSLO, Norway, Aug. 24 Remodeling and refurbishing royal property in Norway, already nearing $133 million during the past decade, is nearing completion- click here for full article

Costs mount for royal remodelling projects

Remodeling costs for royal property in Norway have hit nearly NOK 800 million (USD 133 million) during the past decade and bills are still coming in, but much of the extensive restoration is nearing an end - click here for full article

sorry if this has been posted already

Royal renovations nearly complete

OSLO, Norway, Aug. 24 Remodeling and refurbishing royal property in Norway, already nearing $133 million during the past decade, is nearing completion- click here for full article

Costs mount for royal remodelling projects

Remodeling costs for royal property in Norway have hit nearly NOK 800 million (USD 133 million) during the past decade and bills are still coming in, but much of the extensive restoration is nearing an end - click here for full article

Is the state paying for these costs? The house looks lovely btw, very charming. But it doesn´t seem to enormous so I was wondering what on earth costed 133 million dollars? Security took the bulk maybe?

Is the state paying for these costs? The house looks lovely btw, very charming. But it doesn´t seem to enormous so I was wondering what on earth costed 133 million dollars? Security took the bulk maybe?

The state is paying for the exterior - but afaik the royals are paying for the interior.

The high cost of renovation is because the house (Bygdøy Kongsgård) hasn't been heavily renovated in at least 50 years, if not 100. When they started, they found out that it was rotten to the core, and they had to practically gut the house.

The total sum of the $133 million dollars, is divided between various projects. King Olav was determined to save the state, and so there's been only limited renovations going on for quite some time before Harald and Sonja took over. When older buildings don't get the necessary renovations in time, they get worse, and therefore possibly need more than they would otherwise.

Thanks, interesting article.

So are there any pictures of the indide? The Norwegians usually are rather generous with those.

That would certainly explain the high amount. After 100 years a house of that size certainly needs a lot of restauration, The end result however seems lovely. What will they use the house for? Holidays or also representation?

So are there any pictures of the indide? The Norwegians usually are rather generous with those.

That would certainly explain the high amount. After 100 years a house of that size certainly needs a lot of restauration, The end result however seems lovely. What will they use the house for? Holidays or also representation?

See the link to VG in my previous post for some pictures of the inside.

It has usually been used as a spring/summer residence for the monarch - until Sonja & Harald. It's easy because it is not far into town and the actual Palace, but still a lot more privacy in the gardens than in town, where the park around is public.

So I assume it is close to Oslo then. Does it overlook a fjord? These Norwegian villa's of the RF are usually placed on paradise-like locations.

Bygdø Royal Farm

Bygdø Royal Farm is situated on the Bygdøy peninsula in Oslo. It is owned by the state and is at the King’s disposal. King Haakon and Queen Maud used to spend the summer there, and King Olav followed the custom until his death in 1991. Since then it has not been used, but in summer 2007 King Harald and Queen Sonja will resume the tradition of spending time on the farm.

more Information and Pictures:

kongehuset.no - Bygdø Royal Farm

In fact they spent both summer and the autumn there. King Olav V once said that one reason for staying at Bygdø kongsgård was to get fresh air. The reason for this, was that he spent most of his time at the castle, and did mostly stay inside during this time. At Bygdø he could walk with his dog Sharme every day at the park and the forest, but while at the castle, Miss Rebeca Cooper and Miss Ward took care of the dog most of the time.

Bygdøy Kongsgård has been under renovation the past years, and is now done. Pictures from VG: VG Nett - Åpningen av Kongsgården

177 milion Norwegian Kroner has been spent on the project (approx. $30 mil.) with 15 milion nOK ($2.5mil.) going for furniture and inside decorations.

The place was rotten to the core and had not been renovated much at all in the past century, which explains the high renovation price.

Can't believe they posted a pic of the Loo

Do I understand correctly, that these pictures are from the privatappartment of the Royal-Couple in Bugdoy? Or the "Slottet" means the Palace in Oslo? I was always curious how they live in a such huge palace, and these pictures show a little bit:
Slik bor Sonja og Harald helt privat - VG Nett om Kongehuset
Google Fordító

(So they have their privatappartmants in the osloer palace on the 3. etage... I didn't know it...)

Last edited:
It has really change since King Olav V's time. Back then it was more like an ordinary home. Now it looks far too expensive. It's right that King Olav V did not want to spend money on the Royal Palace nor Bygdø Kongsgård, but that was mostly due to the fact that he would let Crown Princess Sonja take responsibilities for that job when she becomes the Queen of Norway. The truth is that he said: "No matter how I would change it, Crown Princess Sonja would never like my taste anyway..." in the same time, he would not like her taste. So King Olav V was sure that if he did modernize the places, Crown Princess Sonja would change it again after he past away. He did not want to spend the taxpayers money twice. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom