Villa Clementine, Tervuren

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cathérine Bergeyck

Heir Presumptive
This is villa Clementine in Tervuren (near Brussels), where Laurent, Claire and baby Louise live.

Attachments

• clem.jpg
    clem.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 5,539
Cathérine Bergeyck said:
This is villa Clementine in Tervuren (near Brussels), where Laurent, Claire and baby Louise live.

I hate it when royals choose to live in a brick Southfork,

like willem alexander and maxima (a monstrous thing christiana had built and lived in with guillermo)
like the home of constantine and anne marie in england
like the former home of andrew and fergie too.

there are houses, castles begging to be restored and they have the means and the know how to do so.

Of course they have to live as they like but it is funny that their ancestors chose to build architecturarly important buildings and they do not.

I find it odd that Prince Laurent is the only one of his siblings who elected to reside in a Dutch-speaking city, yet he is the only one of his (full) siblings who made the choice not to send his children to a Dutch-speaking school.

Tervuren is in the province Flemish Brabant but is part of the commuter belt around Brussels, with daily intensive traffic. An overwhelming part of Tervuren works in the Brussels Agglomeration. The "language border" is quite fluïd, going through families (Dutch speaking mum, French speaking dad, etc.): most there will understand both languages.

From what I hear from a Flemish collegue who lives in the town, the town is getting more and more Francophone. Also due to the influx of expats, who generally prefer to learn French instead of Dutch. But when you walk in the park you can still hear Dutch being spoken often enough, much more than in Brussels at least.

The highlight is the Congo museum and the parc of Tervuren, once the place for the hunting chateau of the Dukes of Brabant and later for that of Charles de Lorraine.

Was the Villa Clementine in Tervuren a new build?

Thank you to Duc_et_Pair and Marengo for the clarification on the linguistic situation.

Were the circumstances similar at the time when Prince Laurent first moved in?

Back
Top Bottom