04-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Laarne Castle is a 14th century moated edifice situated southeast of Ghent.
Between 1150 to 1157 Thierry de Masmines built a fortified house there.
The Laarne Castle proper was built at the beginning of the 1300s when the fortified house was converted into the entrance block.
Each of the three cylindrical towers has a staircase turret.
The towers are crenellated and covered by an octagonal pepper-pot roof of stone.
In the 1600s the van Vilsteren family acquired the property.
They began to transform Laarne Castle into a comfortable residence.
In 1794 the castle was inhabited by the Comte de Ribaucourt.
It remained in the Ribaucourt family until 1953.
The chapel on the middle floor is vaulted with ribs spring from corbels and was originally lit by two lancets.
Each floor is taken up by a large chamber.
The flanges of the ceiling beams are carved with the arms of the owners.