The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 04-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Hannelore's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Posts: 2,112
Castle Stuyvenberg, Brussels

Some pictures of Stuyvenberg, home of queen Fabiola

http://pro.corbis.com/images/0000288526-00...1-06caca825b9f}


http://pro.corbis.com/images/0000288526-00...f-939ab49baa2a}


http://pro.corbis.com/images/0000288526-00...6-31897b5bf53a}
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,940
Stuyvenberg, the home of Fabiola.

It used to be the home of Leopold III and Astrid. Baudouin and Albert were born here. When Astrid died, in 1935, Leopold coudn't bear to live there anymore, because it was full of memories of his beloved wife. The family moved to Laeken and queen Elisabeth (Leopold III's mother) came to live at Stuyvenberg untill her death in 1965.

After the death of king Beaudouin, Fabiola left the castle of Laeken and came to live at Stuyvenberg.
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 1,523
Castle Stuyvenberg is also referred to as Chateau Stuyvenberg. It is owned by the Royal Trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
A nice blog post about Stuyveberg and the domain around it:
Royalement Blog: Le domaine du Stuyvenberg

And some interior pics of the time it was occupated by Leopold and Astrid and by Elisabeth
Cdm, Thank you for the very splendid blog about Castle Stuyvenberg.
The exterior is timeless!! The pictures are superb!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-05-2014, 10:56 AM
cdm's Avatar
cdm cdm is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: België, Belgique, Belgium
Posts: 941
A nice blog post about Stuyveberg and the domain around it:
Royalement Blog: Le domaine du Stuyvenberg

And some interior pics of the time it was occupated by Leopold and Astrid and by Elisabeth
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-08-2014, 12:23 PM
cdm's Avatar
cdm cdm is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: België, Belgique, Belgium
Posts: 941
I wonder what will happen with this beautiful castle now that Fabiola passed.
Would Laurent and his family want to/be offered to move there?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Castle Stuyvenberg is also referred to as Chateau Stuyvenberg. It is owned by the Royal Trust.

"Château" is actually the French word for "castle".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Blue_'s Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: _, Belgium
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I wonder what will happen with this beautiful castle now that Fabiola passed.
Would Laurent and his family want to/be offered to move there?
Maybe Amedeo and Lilli, while waiting for Elisabeth to own it one day? But I doubt they want to live in such a big castle, and two steps from Amedeo's parents...
__________________
Despite all the dificulties you face, learn what really matters in life, and never give up hope.

Queen Mathilde
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,820
What happened with Stuyvenberg between the death of Queen Elisabeth and King Baudouin? Was it empty?

Edit: I found the answer on wiki: the Belgian state used it for visiting heads of state between 1965 and 1998.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Blue_'s Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: _, Belgium
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
What happened with Stuyvenberg between the death of Queen Elisabeth and King Baudouin? Was it empty?
It was a residence for royal invites
__________________
Despite all the dificulties you face, learn what really matters in life, and never give up hope.

Queen Mathilde
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ View Post
Maybe Amedeo and Lilli, while waiting for Elisabeth to own it one day? But I doubt they want to live in such a big castle, and two steps from Amedeo's parents...

I think it would be inappropriate for Amedeo to live in a royal residence, especially now when he may no longer be in the line of succession to the throne.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Blue_'s Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: _, Belgium
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I think it would be inappropriate for Amedeo to live in a royal residence, especially now when he may no longer be in the line of succession to the throne.
I don't know... beter that than it being empty. And why should he not be in the line of succession?
This being said, I strongly doubt he will live in the stuyvenberg castle
__________________
Despite all the dificulties you face, learn what really matters in life, and never give up hope.

Queen Mathilde
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ View Post
I don't know... beter that than it being empty. And why should he not be in the line of succession?
Because he got married without the King's consent, therefore violating Art. 85 (?) of the Belgian constitution.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Blue_'s Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: _, Belgium
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Because he got married without the King's consent, therefore violating Art. 85 (?) of the Belgian constitution.
How did I missed that?! My apologies then, you are right!
__________________
Despite all the dificulties you face, learn what really matters in life, and never give up hope.

Queen Mathilde
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Blue_'s Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: _, Belgium
Posts: 419
According to Thierry Debels in "Het Nieuwsblad", Prince Laurent would be interested to live in castle Stuyvenbergh, which was the residence of Queen Fabiola. Prince Laurent enjoys living in their current house, villa Clementine, but Princess Claire not. Also, the castle was just renovated and is bigger than the Villa Clementine.
Yet, it's not sure he will live in it, because Prince Amedeo would be very interested too...

Article from Het Nieuwsblad: HERE
Translated article HERE
__________________
Despite all the dificulties you face, learn what really matters in life, and never give up hope.

Queen Mathilde
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-17-2014, 11:39 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lapalisse, France
Posts: 1,505
The author, Thierry Debels, is known as a notoir speculant on royal gossips. It is not true that the Château du Stuyvenberg "per definition" can only act as a royal residence because it is part of the Donation Royale. Between 1965 and 1998 the castle was in use as an accomodation for guests of the Belgian State. Another example is the Château de Val Duchesse (Kasteel Hertoginnedal) which is also owned by the Donation Royale but is simply in use as a conference accomodation for the Belgian Government.

I can also not see that Archduke Amedeo of Austria-Este, Prince of Belgium, will have usufruct of Stuyvenberg for life. That would mean that Élisabeth, Gabriel, Emmanuel and Éleonore, children of a King and siblings of a future Queen can not use it because it is occupied by a furtherer related member of the family....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Blue_'s Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: _, Belgium
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The author, Thierry Debels, is known as a notoir speculant on royal gossips. It is not true that the Château du Stuyvenberg "per definition" can only act as a royal residence because it is part of the Donation Royale. Between 1965 and 1998 the castle was in use as an accomodation for guests of the Belgian State. Another example is the Château de Val Duchesse (Kasteel Hertoginnedal) which is also owned by the Donation Royale but is simply in use as a conference accomodation for the Belgian Government.
Yes, but since it is really in Laeken (Val Duchesse is almost outside Brussels), I doubt the government will ever use it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I can also not see that Archduke Amedeo of Austria-Este, Prince of Belgium, will have usufruct of Stuyvenberg for life. That would mean that Élisabeth, Gabriel, Emmanuel and Éleonore, children of a King and siblings of a future Queen can not use it because it is occupied by a furtherer related member of the family....
Although I doubt Amedeo will live in it, I don't really see it as a problem. They could move out one day
__________________
Despite all the dificulties you face, learn what really matters in life, and never give up hope.

Queen Mathilde
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lapalisse, France
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ View Post
Yes, but since it is really in Laeken (Val Duchesse is almost outside Brussels), I doubt the government will ever use it


Although I doubt Amedeo will live in it, I don't really see it as a problem. They could move out one day
Stuyvenberg has been used as a guest accomodation of the State for 25 years before Fabiola moved in but I agree, further royal use is more likely.

Of course Amedeo and his family can move out any moment but that is not very gentlemanlike... I hope the Château du Stuyvenberg will be used as a house for the Duchess of Brabant.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 2,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I hope the Château du Stuyvenberg will be used as a house for the Duchess of Brabant.
But by the time she needs an own home probably also the Château de Belvedere is availible again.
__________________
Stefan

Royal Travel and Events

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Blue_'s Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: _, Belgium
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Of course Amedeo and his family can move out any moment but that is not very gentlemanlike... I hope the Château du Stuyvenberg will be used as a house for the Duchess of Brabant.
Since Amedeo and Elisabetta have lived so much time in a little flat in New York, he and his wife would feel lost in such a big house
I fear by the time P.Elisabeth is living on her own, the Belvedere will be available too... (and the Belvedère is much prettier)
__________________
Despite all the dificulties you face, learn what really matters in life, and never give up hope.

Queen Mathilde
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Today, 05:50 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: xxx, Antarctica
Posts: 136
I really doubt that Laurent can afford to live at Stuyvenberg. He isn't exactly known for clever budgeting and Stuyvenberg comes with a huge heating bill, etc. I would also guess that extensive renovation has to take place before someone else moves in.
Some time ago there was a parliamentary commision on royal finances. And IIRC the suggestion was that only those who receive a dotation are entitled to free housing by the royal donation. That would limit the group down to Astrid, Laurent and Elisabeth. I'm not sure if the suggestion came into effect though. But I think it's quite realistic that Laeken, Belvedere and Ciergnon will be the only castles inhabited by members of the RF in the future.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (2 members and 1 guests)
alix, mybags
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Royal Palace, Brussels Cathérine Bergeyck Belgian Royal Residences 47 12-19-2013 08:34 PM
Illegal Polish & French Workers Repairing the Royal Palace in Brussels? Marengo Belgian Royal Residences 2 06-28-2008 05:19 PM
King And Queen On State Visit To Brussels, Belgium, 2003 Josefine King Harald and Queen Sonja 19 01-24-2008 04:47 PM
Which castle is this? Alexandra Royal Library 16 08-25-2006 06:28 PM
Haakon in Brussels visiting NATO HQ fanletizia Crown Prince Haakon & Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Family 4 03-02-2006 06:56 AM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]