Castle Stuyvenberg, Brussels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stuyvenberg, the home of Fabiola.

It used to be the home of Leopold III and Astrid. Baudouin and Albert were born here. When Astrid died, in 1935, Leopold coudn't bear to live there anymore, because it was full of memories of his beloved wife. The family moved to Laeken and queen Elisabeth (Leopold III's mother) came to live at Stuyvenberg untill her death in 1965.

After the death of king Beaudouin, Fabiola left the castle of Laeken and came to live at Stuyvenberg.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 2,878
Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what will happen with this beautiful castle now that Fabiola passed.
Would Laurent and his family want to/be offered to move there?

I wonder what will happen with this beautiful castle now that Fabiola passed.
Would Laurent and his family want to/be offered to move there?

Maybe Amedeo and Lilli, while waiting for Elisabeth to own it one day? But I doubt they want to live in such a big castle, and two steps from Amedeo's parents...

What happened with Stuyvenberg between the death of Queen Elisabeth and King Baudouin? Was it empty?

Edit: I found the answer on wiki: the Belgian state used it for visiting heads of state between 1965 and 1998.

Last edited:
Maybe Amedeo and Lilli, while waiting for Elisabeth to own it one day? But I doubt they want to live in such a big castle, and two steps from Amedeo's parents...

I think it would be inappropriate for Amedeo to live in a royal residence, especially now when he may no longer be in the line of succession to the throne.

I think it would be inappropriate for Amedeo to live in a royal residence, especially now when he may no longer be in the line of succession to the throne.

I don't know... beter that than it being empty. And why should he not be in the line of succession?
This being said, I strongly doubt he will live in the stuyvenberg castle

I don't know... beter that than it being empty. And why should he not be in the line of succession?

Because he got married without the King's consent, therefore violating Art. 85 (?) of the Belgian constitution.

Because he got married without the King's consent, therefore violating Art. 85 (?) of the Belgian constitution.

How did I missed that?! :eek: My apologies then, you are right!

According to Thierry Debels in "Het Nieuwsblad", Prince Laurent would be interested to live in castle Stuyvenbergh, which was the residence of Queen Fabiola. Prince Laurent enjoys living in their current house, villa Clementine, but Princess Claire not. Also, the castle was just renovated and is bigger than the Villa Clementine.
Yet, it's not sure he will live in it, because Prince Amedeo would be very interested too...

Article from Het Nieuwsblad: HERE
Translated article HERE

The author, Thierry Debels, is known as a notoir speculant on royal gossips. It is not true that the Château du Stuyvenberg "per definition" can only act as a royal residence because it is part of the Donation Royale. Between 1965 and 1998 the castle was in use as an accomodation for guests of the Belgian State. Another example is the Château de Val Duchesse (Kasteel Hertoginnedal) which is also owned by the Donation Royale but is simply in use as a conference accomodation for the Belgian Government.

I can also not see that Archduke Amedeo of Austria-Este, Prince of Belgium, will have usufruct of Stuyvenberg for life. That would mean that Élisabeth, Gabriel, Emmanuel and Éleonore, children of a King and siblings of a future Queen can not use it because it is occupied by a furtherer related member of the family....

Last edited:
The author, Thierry Debels, is known as a notoir speculant on royal gossips. It is not true that the Château du Stuyvenberg "per definition" can only act as a royal residence because it is part of the Donation Royale. Between 1965 and 1998 the castle was in use as an accomodation for guests of the Belgian State. Another example is the Château de Val Duchesse (Kasteel Hertoginnedal) which is also owned by the Donation Royale but is simply in use as a conference accomodation for the Belgian Government.
Yes, but since it is really in Laeken (Val Duchesse is almost outside Brussels), I doubt the government will ever use it

I can also not see that Archduke Amedeo of Austria-Este, Prince of Belgium, will have usufruct of Stuyvenberg for life. That would mean that Élisabeth, Gabriel, Emmanuel and Éleonore, children of a King and siblings of a future Queen can not use it because it is occupied by a furtherer related member of the family....
Although I doubt Amedeo will live in it, I don't really see it as a problem. They could move out one day :)

Yes, but since it is really in Laeken (Val Duchesse is almost outside Brussels), I doubt the government will ever use it

Although I doubt Amedeo will live in it, I don't really see it as a problem. They could move out one day :)

Stuyvenberg has been used as a guest accomodation of the State for 25 years before Fabiola moved in but I agree, further royal use is more likely.

Of course Amedeo and his family can move out any moment but that is not very gentlemanlike... I hope the Château du Stuyvenberg will be used as a house for the Duchess of Brabant.

I hope the Château du Stuyvenberg will be used as a house for the Duchess of Brabant.

But by the time she needs an own home probably also the Château de Belvedere is availible again.

Of course Amedeo and his family can move out any moment but that is not very gentlemanlike... I hope the Château du Stuyvenberg will be used as a house for the Duchess of Brabant.

Since Amedeo and Elisabetta have lived so much time in a little flat in New York, he and his wife would feel lost in such a big house ;)
I fear by the time P.Elisabeth is living on her own, the Belvedere will be available too... (and the Belvedère is much prettier)

I really doubt that Laurent can afford to live at Stuyvenberg. He isn't exactly known for clever budgeting and Stuyvenberg comes with a huge heating bill, etc. I would also guess that extensive renovation has to take place before someone else moves in.
Some time ago there was a parliamentary commision on royal finances. And IIRC the suggestion was that only those who receive a dotation are entitled to free housing by the royal donation. That would limit the group down to Astrid, Laurent and Elisabeth. I'm not sure if the suggestion came into effect though. But I think it's quite realistic that Laeken, Belvedere and Ciergnon will be the only castles inhabited by members of the RF in the future.

But by the time she needs an own home probably also the Château de Belvedere is availible again.

The Château du Belvédère is the residence of King Albert and Queen Paola for almost half a century. After such a long time of intensive use, I think the building is in urgent need of restoration and this will last for years. I have no particular like for this building. It lacks elegance, in my personal opinion.

The Château du Stuyvenberg is most likely in a better state, since Queen Fabiola "only" lived there for some 15 years. The exterior is more my taste, I must say.

I think we need to take the stories about the "too small" Villa Clémentine with a pinch of salt. It looks big enough to me and I doubt Laurent want to live on the same domain with his "problematic" family...

:whistling:

Stuyvenberg has been used as a guest accomodation of the State for 25 years before Fabiola moved in but I agree, further royal use is more likely.

Where are guests of the state currently housed?

Where are guests of the state currently housed?

At the moment Kasteel Hertoginnedal / Château de Val-Duchesse is in use as a guest- and conference accomodation of the Belgian state. This property also belongs to the Donation Royale (the lavish gift of Leopold II to the State of Belgium).

:flowers:

Many of these Belgian properties have been "infected" by Leopold II's style, the exterior of the royal palace has (in my eyes) become completely destroyed by Leopold II. The same with the Château de Laeken: sadly the original 17th resp. 18th C buildings have been destroyed (for an example by fire or by neglect). Around the fin-de-siècle Leopold II remodelled many royal residences to his taste, lots of eclecticsm which would become so typical for buildings in this era (for an example, the Central Station in Antwerp). It is all relatively "new" and very, very grand but despite all this, in real life it made an impression of operetta or Walt Disney. My personal opinion. I love old buildings, but not brand new "new made-old buildings" with a variety of styles.

Sadly also the once so famous and grand "Hof van Brussel / Court de Bruxelles" (on the Coudenberg) has been destroyed by fire. That would still have been one of the historic most important palaces of Europe.

I would also guess that extensive renovation has to take place before someone else moves in.
the castle has only been renovated a few years ago...

Some time ago there was a parliamentary commision on royal finances. And IIRC the suggestion was that only those who receive a dotation are entitled to free housing by the royal donation. That would limit the group down to Astrid, Laurent and Elisabeth. I'm not sure if the suggestion came into effect though. But I think it's quite realistic that Laeken, Belvedere and Ciergnon will be the only castles inhabited by members of the RF in the future.
I didn't know, thank you for the information :flowers:
What about the Villa Stuyvenbergh then? (where P.Astrid lives) Can't it be taken over by one of the children?

Not Villa Stuyvenbergh but Villa Schonenberg. :) It is on walking distance from the Château du Stuyvenberg though...

It was newly build for Princess Astrid and is owned by the Donation Royale, so my guess is the buildings Stuyvenberg, Belvédère, Schonenberg, etc. remain at the disposal of members of the royal family. The group of receivers of an annual dotation is not necessarily the same as the number of buildings which remain at the King's disposal, according the conditions set by King Leopold II.

Not Villa Stuyvenbergh but Villa Schonenberg. :) It is on walking distance from the Château du Stuyvenberg though...

It was newly build for Princess Astrid and is owned by the Donation Royale, so my guess is the buildings Stuyvenberg, Belvédère, Schonenberg, etc. remain at the disposal of members of the royal family. The group of receivers of an annual dotation is not necessarily the same as the number of buildings which remain at the King's disposal, according the conditions set by King Leopold II.

That may be true. But I doubt that members of the RF who dont receive a dotation will get extra profitable conditions. So renting a castle likely is too expensive for them.

On another note. Now that Castle Stuyvenberg went back to the Royal Donation I wish they would publish a documentation on this building before handing it over to its new inhabitant, whoever that may be. Would be nice to learn more about it and get some good pictures.

Because none of the members of the royal family want to move into the Castle of Stuyvenberg, The court decided to rent it to baroness Michèle Sioen & Marc Galle. Before moving in, Mrs Sioen and Mr Galle will renovate the castle at their own expense. An actual move won't happen before the end of 2018.

Queen Mathilde: New Neighbours at Laken

A sensible solution, since it would be empty and abandoned otherwise. I wonder for how long they will be able to lease the property.

Yes its better to see the property occupied that let fall to rack and ruin and I also wonder what sort of rent they will be paying?

Mrs Michèle Sioen is Barones since 21/7 and her Husband Marnix Galle are Friends of the Royal Family.

Back
Top Bottom