The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-20-2014, 06:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But by the time she needs an own home probably also the Château de Belvedere is availible again.
The Château du Belvédère is the residence of King Albert and Queen Paola for almost half a century. After such a long time of intensive use, I think the building is in urgent need of restoration and this will last for years. I have no particular like for this building. It lacks elegance, in my personal opinion.

The Château du Stuyvenberg is most likely in a better state, since Queen Fabiola "only" lived there for some 15 years. The exterior is more my taste, I must say.

I think we need to take the stories about the "too small" Villa Clémentine with a pinch of salt. It looks big enough to me and I doubt Laurent want to live on the same domain with his "problematic" family...

Old 12-20-2014, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Stuyvenberg has been used as a guest accomodation of the State for 25 years before Fabiola moved in but I agree, further royal use is more likely.
Where are guests of the state currently housed?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Where are guests of the state currently housed?
At the moment Kasteel Hertoginnedal / Château de Val-Duchesse is in use as a guest- and conference accomodation of the Belgian state. This property also belongs to the Donation Royale (the lavish gift of Leopold II to the State of Belgium).

Many of these Belgian properties have been "infected" by Leopold II's style, the exterior of the royal palace has (in my eyes) become completely destroyed by Leopold II. The same with the Château de Laeken: sadly the original 17th resp. 18th C buildings have been destroyed (for an example by fire or by neglect). Around the fin-de-siècle Leopold II remodelled many royal residences to his taste, lots of eclecticsm which would become so typical for buildings in this era (for an example, the Central Station in Antwerp). It is all relatively "new" and very, very grand but despite all this, in real life it made an impression of operetta or Walt Disney. My personal opinion. I love old buildings, but not brand new "new made-old buildings" with a variety of styles.

Sadly also the once so famous and grand "Hof van Brussel / Court de Bruxelles" (on the Coudenberg) has been destroyed by fire. That would still have been one of the historic most important palaces of Europe.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mara* View Post
I would also guess that extensive renovation has to take place before someone else moves in.
the castle has only been renovated a few years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mara* View Post
Some time ago there was a parliamentary commision on royal finances. And IIRC the suggestion was that only those who receive a dotation are entitled to free housing by the royal donation. That would limit the group down to Astrid, Laurent and Elisabeth. I'm not sure if the suggestion came into effect though. But I think it's quite realistic that Laeken, Belvedere and Ciergnon will be the only castles inhabited by members of the RF in the future.
I didn't know, thank you for the information
What about the Villa Stuyvenbergh then? (where P.Astrid lives) Can't it be taken over by one of the children?

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Majesty

Not Villa Stuyvenbergh but Villa Schonenberg. :) It is on walking distance from the Château du Stuyvenberg though...

It was newly build for Princess Astrid and is owned by the Donation Royale, so my guess is the buildings Stuyvenberg, Belvédère, Schonenberg, etc. remain at the disposal of members of the royal family. The group of receivers of an annual dotation is not necessarily the same as the number of buildings which remain at the King's disposal, according the conditions set by King Leopold II.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Not Villa Stuyvenbergh but Villa Schonenberg. :) It is on walking distance from the Château du Stuyvenberg though...

It was newly build for Princess Astrid and is owned by the Donation Royale, so my guess is the buildings Stuyvenberg, Belvédère, Schonenberg, etc. remain at the disposal of members of the royal family. The group of receivers of an annual dotation is not necessarily the same as the number of buildings which remain at the King's disposal, according the conditions set by King Leopold II.

That may be true. But I doubt that members of the RF who dont receive a dotation will get extra profitable conditions. So renting a castle likely is too expensive for them.

On another note. Now that Castle Stuyvenberg went back to the Royal Donation I wish they would publish a documentation on this building before handing it over to its new inhabitant, whoever that may be. Would be nice to learn more about it and get some good pictures.