Castle of Fenffe, Fenffe

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cathérine Bergeyck

Heir Presumptive
There's also the castle of Fenffe, belonging to the king and queen.
They like to go there for a quiet weekend, or to receive guests.

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 3,442
Last edited:
No, the Castle belongs to the Royal Trust.

No, the Castle belongs to the Royal Trust.

Thank you. If the chateau were in my usage, I would use it more because Philippe and Mathilde go to France for their hols instead of just going to Fenffe.

Thank you. If the chateau were in my usage, I would use it more because Philippe and Mathilde go to France for their hols instead of just going to Fenffe.

Philippe and Mathilde own a house at the Belgian coast, this is their favourite place it seems. Then there is the castle of Ciergnon, very close to Fenffe, with lots of space and comfort for all family members. E. g. Queen Paola installed a large playroom for her grandchildren there. And finally they also spend time at Losange, the castle of Mathilde’s family. It’s not that surprising that the castle of Fenffe is rarely used these days.
Recently there was a tv report about it. The royal family occasionally receive guests for their annual hunt in Fenffe, but that’s it. The castle got a new roof to avoid damages, but would need extensive renovations if the royals would intend to use it frequently. Fenffe was the favourite retreat of King Leopold and Queen Astrid it was said.

Philippe and Mathilde own a house at the Belgian coast, this is their favourite place it seems. Then there is the castle of Ciergnon, very close to Fenffe, with lots of space and comfort for all family members. E. g. Queen Paola installed a large playroom for her grandchildren there. And finally they also spend time at Losange, the castle of Mathilde’s family. It’s not that surprising that the castle of Fenffe is rarely used these days.
Recently there was a tv report about it. The royal family occasionally receive guests for their annual hunt in Fenffe, but that’s it. The castle got a new roof to avoid damages, but would need extensive renovations if the royals would intend to use it frequently. Fenffe was the favourite retreat of King Leopold and Queen Astrid it was said.

Dear Mara, Thanks very much for the info and for the photos. I had not known that the chateau de Fenffe was in a bad state of repair. Also, I had not known that Philippe and Mathilde had a seaside home. I still feell, however, that Royals need to use more the homes that they do have instead of going abroad although it's probably nicer for them to travel abroad.

It looks more like a manor than a castle

Dear Mara, Thanks very much for the info and for the photos. I had not known that the chateau de Fenffe was in a bad state of repair. Also, I had not known that Philippe and Mathilde had a seaside home. I still feell, however, that Royals need to use more the homes that they do have instead of going abroad although it's probably nicer for them to travel abroad.

You are welcome. :flowers: And you raise a valid point. I can imagine though, that spending holidays abroad is a much needed escape from the attention royals get in their home countries.

The chateau would make a lovely retirement retreat for King Albert,pity the maintenance costs of Fenffe are too high!

Do they know now anything new for the the castle of Fenffe? This is my favorite.

Well, according to Daily Mail, the public don't seem to be that impressed with the Sun and the fact they published this clip:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...TE-Edward-VIII-secret-1933-film-Balmoral.html

The Danish media have of course also published this clip, this being the silly season, and judging from the comments I've glanced, people here consider this a non-story.

The public doesn't matter though. The Sun will earn good money on this story.

Last edited:
Muhler wrong thread i think ;)

Do they know now anything new for the the castle of Fenffe? This is my favorite.

The Château de Fenffe (it is more a big and stately farmhouse) and the domain around is owned by the Donation Royale (the Royal Gift of Leopold II to the State). They are very selective in the choice of users/renters of their domains. They are conscious that the character of the property and the domain does not change.

Apparently Fenffe became too big for King Albert II and Queen Paola. Staff is needed for maintenance and management and it became too costly for the former King. It seems the place is in dire need of renovation. For the same reasons also the nearby Château de Ciergnon is no longer used by the couple.

It seems Queen Paola has purchased a former vicarage in Villers-sur-Lesse. Half of the domains around this village are owned by the Donation Royale and are close to the Château de Fenffe. In the meantime the vicarage, which was very neglected, has been completely renovated and is now serving as a retreat for the former King and Queen. This former vicarage has been donated by Queen Paola to her grandchildren Prince Aymeric, Prince Nicholas and Princess Louise (the children of Prince Laurent and Princess Claire).

:flowers:

Last edited:
Well, according to Daily Mail, the public don't seem to be that impressed with the Sun and the fact they published this clip:
The Queen being taught a NAZI SALUTE by Edward VIII in 1933 video | Daily Mail Online

The Danish media have of course also published this clip, this being the silly season, and judging from the comments I've glanced, people here consider this a non-story.

The public doesn't matter though. The Sun will earn good money on this story.

Where did this news is related to the Castle of Fenffe?

I agree , Duke you know all about Villers sur Lesse for Laurent's Children. Bravo

Normaly Ciergnon is for the Regent King.

Albert II and Paola have lands in Italy where they live half of the year or more !

I have regularly been to the Ardennes, the rivers are great for canoe and kayak. So I know the region pretty well. My parents have a retreat in Petite Somme, near Durbuy. The litte village of Villers-sur-Lesse has only three or four streets. I think there are no more than 100 people living in that small village.

The strange thing is that in Villers-sur-Lesse there is also a castle. It was really worn-out, the exterior has recently been updated. The interior is still in need of restoration. It is also owned by the Donation Royale, by the way. They use it to house materials and offices. I think it is a bit strange that the Château de Fenffe, the Château de Ciergnon, the Château de Villers-sur-Lesse, etc. are all owned by the Donation Royale but that King Albert II apparently is not able to use it.

When Queen Paola has to purchase a private house because three (!) castles of the Donation Royale are too expensive, then something is not working well I think. King Leopold II gave all his possessions to the State of Belgium (the Donation Royale) but under conditions that certain buildings are given in usufruct to the King or the royal family. It is a mystery why Albert and Paola feel they can not afford to live in properties of the Donation.

:ermm:

Last edited:
How nice of P&A to make Laurent's children the naked owners of the presbytère of Villers-sur-Lesse.

I guess the family to whom Fenffe was rented did have the means to restore it, I wonder what's the length of the lease. If any of the King's 3 younger children wants to move to the country at some point, Fenffe is ideal.

How nice of P&A to make Laurent's children the naked owners of the presbytère of Villers-sur-Lesse.

I guess the family to whom Fenffe was rented did have the means to restore it, I wonder what's the length of the lease. If any of the King's 3 younger children wants to move to the country at some point, Fenffe is ideal.
The presbytère looks like a very nice and quiet place. I know Albert and Paola had spent part of the lockdown there and Paola decorated it with much taste. I'm sure Louise and the twins will enjoy it.
Fenffe could certainly be an option for one of the King's children, I'm quite curious to see where they'll decide to live in the future btw

Back
Top Bottom