The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-18-2003, 03:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Castle of Fenffe, Fenffe

There's also the castle of Fenffe, belonging to the king and queen.
They like to go there for a quiet weekend, or to receive guests.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	43826  

Old 12-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathérine Bergeyck View Post
There's also the castle of Fenffe, belonging to the king and queen.
They like to go there for a quiet weekend, or to receive guests.
Does the chateau in Fenffe now belong to Philippe and Mathilde?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

No, the Castle belongs to the Royal Trust.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
No, the Castle belongs to the Royal Trust.
Thank you. If the chateau were in my usage, I would use it more because Philippe and Mathilde go to France for their hols instead of just going to Fenffe.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
Thank you. If the chateau were in my usage, I would use it more because Philippe and Mathilde go to France for their hols instead of just going to Fenffe.
Philippe and Mathilde own a house at the Belgian coast, this is their favourite place it seems. Then there is the castle of Ciergnon, very close to Fenffe, with lots of space and comfort for all family members. E. g. Queen Paola installed a large playroom for her grandchildren there. And finally they also spend time at Losange, the castle of Mathilde’s family. It’s not that surprising that the castle of Fenffe is rarely used these days.
Recently there was a tv report about it. The royal family occasionally receive guests for their annual hunt in Fenffe, but that’s it. The castle got a new roof to avoid damages, but would need extensive renovations if the royals would intend to use it frequently. Fenffe was the favourite retreat of King Leopold and Queen Astrid it was said.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Aristocracy

A short description of Fenffe
Fenffe la rose joue les discrètes

and three pictures
http://www.chateauxdebelgique.eu/nam...ge/Fenffe1.jpg
http://www.chateauxdebelgique.eu/nam...ge/Fenffe2.jpg
http://www.chateauxdebelgique.eu/nam...ge/Fenffe3.jpg
Old 01-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mara* View Post
Philippe and Mathilde own a house at the Belgian coast, this is their favourite place it seems. Then there is the castle of Ciergnon, very close to Fenffe, with lots of space and comfort for all family members. E. g. Queen Paola installed a large playroom for her grandchildren there. And finally they also spend time at Losange, the castle of Mathilde’s family. It’s not that surprising that the castle of Fenffe is rarely used these days.
Recently there was a tv report about it. The royal family occasionally receive guests for their annual hunt in Fenffe, but that’s it. The castle got a new roof to avoid damages, but would need extensive renovations if the royals would intend to use it frequently. Fenffe was the favourite retreat of King Leopold and Queen Astrid it was said.
Dear Mara, Thanks very much for the info and for the photos. I had not known that the chateau de Fenffe was in a bad state of repair. Also, I had not known that Philippe and Mathilde had a seaside home. I still feell, however, that Royals need to use more the homes that they do have instead of going abroad although it's probably nicer for them to travel abroad.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Royal Highness

It looks more like a manor than a castle
Old 01-04-2011, 06:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
Dear Mara, Thanks very much for the info and for the photos. I had not known that the chateau de Fenffe was in a bad state of repair. Also, I had not known that Philippe and Mathilde had a seaside home. I still feell, however, that Royals need to use more the homes that they do have instead of going abroad although it's probably nicer for them to travel abroad.
You are welcome. And you raise a valid point. I can imagine though, that spending holidays abroad is a much needed escape from the attention royals get in their home countries.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Aristocracy

A more recent candid shot of the backside and garden of Fenffe.

All sizes | Résidence royale, photo volée | Flickr - Photo Sharing!